Home General Discussion
Options

Need Input on 21st Bday Cigars

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
Hey fellas... I need some more help. My 21st bday is coming up next month (October 8), and I'm looking to host a small party with cigars and cognac. I need some input on what cigars to buy, however... Here's my criteria:

**Relatively inexpensive - I want to buy a box so as to have plenty to pass out, but basically no one else at my party are real cigar smokers.
**Decent smokes - I don't want to feel bad about what I'm passing out, and I also want something decent enough to mark my celebration with...not to mention I will have almost definitely have leftovers from the box after the party.
**Goes well with cognac (what doesn't?), but seriously - if you know of something that particularly matches a fine cognac, that's great.

Thanks for all the input guys! I know it's a demanding list, but with all the expertise and options around here, somebody's gotta have something... Oh, and anybody from Ccom that's in my area will be invited to the party, if they so wish...

EDIT- Oh duh... I forgot to mention that so far, I prefer medium bodied cigars..
¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21 years old??? I've got suits that old! Try some Victor Sinclairs.
  • Options
    YankeeMan:
    21 years old??? I've got suits that old! Try some Victor Sinclairs.
    Bah...it may be a cliche, but age is simply a number. One of these days it's going to bite me in the ass, but right now the people who know me and yet don't know my age, usually think I'm somewhere in my mid-to-late 20s. I thoroughly do not get along with people my age... (for example - how many other 21 y/os wish to celebrate their birthday with cognac and cigars?) Not that I'm thinking you meant any offense of course - I'm sure none was intended... I just kinda wanted to vent that I guess lol

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you think your buddies are going to smoke the cigars, buy something decent and mild like maybe a box of some Cigar.com house labels. They are a respectable quality at a great price point. I'd go for the Blue label or the Cuban label myself. That's $45-$50, which I don't know if that's your idea of inexpensive, but it's a pretty good bargain in my opinion, especially for the smoking experience you get.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Box of Nica Libre from CCOM - around $60ish or a little less. I am really starting to enjoy these. And if any of your guests know the difference between a decent smoke and a White Owl I don't think they will be disappointed and neither will you. Very good price if you buy the box.
  • Options
    Hey Hays, Certainly no offense intended, I was just busting chops because I'm two years older than dirt.

You remind me a lot of my son, he's 20 years old and he's the one who got me back into cigars. We intend to celebrate his 21st in the same fashion. Enjoy!
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Hey man congrats on coming of age ....... at least we wont have to change your diapers anymore ..... you can wipe your own ass now ...... as for a deal on the cigars i have two that may fit you perfectly
    #1) Gurkhas Park Ave. $59.95 20 pack in churchill or torpedo
    #2) 5Vegas Gold $59.95 20 pack in toro

In my honest opinion both of these fit the bill to a tee and they are both great medium bodied smokes that you'll be pumped if you dont go through em all........ trust me or dont ....... but they will be da bomb
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I would agree with the Nica Libre and anything from 5 Vegas...

Happy Bday broseph!
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    kingjk729:
    Hey man congrats on coming of age ....... at least we wont have to change your diapers anymore ..... you can wipe your own ass now ...... as for a deal on the cigars i have two that may fit you perfectly
    #1) Gurkhas Park Ave. $59.95 20 pack in churchill or torpedo
    #2) 5Vegas Gold $59.95 20 pack in toro

In my honest opinion both of these fit the bill to a tee and they are both great medium bodied smokes that you'll be pumped if you dont go through em all........ trust me or dont ....... but they will be da bomb
    Agree with both of these. Also consider Sol Cubano Connecticut.
  • Options
    Great thoughts so far guys... My price point is around $100 - I wouldn't be opposed to buying a nicer box if they were a great choice that'd hold well to aging, because I expect to have 1/4 to 1/2 the box left after the party and I think it'd be cool to set some aside for future bdays...

I'm sure the House blends are awesome (everybody says so) but I haven't had the chance to try any yet... either way I'm looking for at least a recognizable brand - IMHO a large part of cigar smoking is experience, and since my passion is hospitality and creating environments...hell basically I want a cigar that might have some brand recognition and look a little fancy, so my guests who indulge can feel like they're smoking premium cigars..

• Options
    Aha...the Gurkha Park Avenues... Might be exactly what I had in mind, and better yet I have one in my humidor right now so I can try it out before buying a box. That may have just made up my mind right there... KUDOS!

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    RP Signatures might be good for that...or maybe some Ashton Classics. Still light and mild for the new smokers, but both premium smokes.

Edit: I agree. The Park Avenue would be excellent.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I would have to throw in a vote for Nica Libre. They're an excellent LOOKING smoke, which would be perfect for your friends, they are dirt cheap, taste fantastic, and are easy to enjoy even to the non-enthusiast. My girlfriend loved them.
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    betasynn:
    I would have to throw in a vote for Nica Libre. They're an excellent LOOKING smoke, which would be perfect for your friends, they are dirt cheap, taste fantastic, and are easy to enjoy even to the non-enthusiast. My girlfriend loved them.
    Guess what Thursday's daily deal is????
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    betasynn:
    Guess what Thursday's daily deal is????
    I caught that actually... But I want the box. I've never bought a full box before. And yet now seeing all these great sticks and how cheap the boxes are just makes me realize even more how much I need a bigger humidor!!! Good thing I got that bday coming up eh? ;-)

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'll throw in my vote for the Nica Libre or maybe something like the Oliva Connecticut or anything by them really. The Park Ave. would be a good choice as well. What ever your choice, have a good time and happy birthday.
  • Options
    Just to throw one more out there ...... if your budget is about 100.00 and you'd be willing to swell a little ....... CI has the montecristo serie C on sale for $106.95 for the toro's and ccom is $149.95 for the same box, and i believe that people say they are sister sites, and i order from both normally, the serie c is a great true medium smoke and i've only had one of the c's but i really ejoyed it. And the box is 21 so if your gonna have some left overs those are goodins to have left over ...... ps its a cameroon wrapper
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Padilla Achilles. Just got the Ccom mag yesterday and they had a nice writeup in there. I have had a couple and it is a very good stick for the price. Plus, if any of your buddies know anything about the cigars, they think you will be giving them gold because of the name.
  • Options
    kingjk729:
    Just to throw one more out there ...... if your budget is about 100.00 and you'd be willing to swell a little ....... CI has the montecristo serie C on sale for $106.95 for the toro's and ccom is $149.95 for the same box, and i believe that people say they are sister sites, and i order from both normally, the serie c is a great true medium smoke and i've only had one of the c's but i really ejoyed it. And the box is 21 so if your gonna have some left overs those are goodins to have left over ...... ps its a cameroon wrapper
    I know you are fairly new and I'm not trying to be rude or an a$$, but the number one rule we have here on the forums is that we don't poste prices or deals from any other cigar site on the Ccom forums. It is in poor taste to post deals from other sites on a forum that the guys at Ccom are so nice to provide for us for free. They don't ask much of us here, and that is the top rule we all try to obey. Thanks.
  • Options
    Sorry about that ..... i'll make sure i refrain from doing that in the future .... as punishment iam going to light a cigar and put it out ............ on my eye
  • Options
    kingjk729:
    Sorry about that ..... i'll make sure i refrain from doing that in the future .... as punishment iam going to light a cigar and put it out ............ on my eye
    No no no, then you wouldn't be able to see the good deals here on Ccom. Put it out on your testicles.... Damn don't you know anything? haha Didn't they issue you the chapter of the rule book with offenses and punishments outlined?
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    kingjk729:
    As my boy Puro pointed out we refrain from mentioning competitor sites however in this instance I would like to add that I would bet that cigar.com would come close to matching that price if you called!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    First, Happy Birthday! Second, Happy 21st Birthday! Good to see someone being responsible and enjoying it in class, rather than going out and getting so trashed they can't remember their big night.

If you're looking to pair a cigar with a cognac, remember to take that into account when buying the cigars. I would recommend something more in the medium range, as a mild cigar may be lost in the cognac. Also, cognac is a personal fav of mine, whether I'm having a cigar or not. If you're looking to keep it reasonably priced, Remy or Hennessy VSOP are both decent, as well as Hine VSOP. I wouldn't recommend anything below that. I'm personally not a fan of Courvoisier myself, so I won't recommend it. I've also had one glass of Pierre Ferrand, though I don't remember which one, and I enjoyed it.

If you can pick up a handful of decent, medium bodied sticks (I'd recommend La Aurora Barrel Aged, as they pair well with cognac or scotch) at a cheap price, save some extra cash to spend on the cognac and leap for an XO. Remy or Hennessy XOs will run you $120-$140 in most places, depending on the pricing in the area. Enjoy!
  • Options
    sorry they didnt give me the official handbook so i there was no way for me to know about the proper punishment.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    First, Happy Birthday! Second, Happy 21st Birthday! Good to see someone being responsible and enjoying it in class, rather than going out and getting so trashed they can't remember their big night.

If you're looking to pair a cigar with a cognac, remember to take that into account when buying the cigars. I would recommend something more in the medium range, as a mild cigar may be lost in the cognac. Also, cognac is a personal fav of mine, whether I'm having a cigar or not. If you're looking to keep it reasonably priced, Remy or Hennessy VSOP are both decent, as well as Hine VSOP. I wouldn't recommend anything below that. I'm personally not a fan of Courvoisier myself, so I won't recommend it. I've also had one glass of Pierre Ferrand, though I don't remember which one, and I enjoyed it.

If you can pick up a handful of decent, medium bodied sticks (I'd recommend La Aurora Barrel Aged, as they pair well with cognac or scotch) at a cheap price, save some extra cash to spend on the cognac and leap for an XO. Remy or Hennessy XOs will run you $120-$140 in most places, depending on the pricing in the area. Enjoy!
    That's some awesome input man...thanks. I'm actually buying a few different 50 ml bottles of cognac within the next couple days, and I think I might buy a couple different singles to add to the Gurkha Park Avenue I already have. Gonna sit down and have me a little tasting session...

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Glad I could make some helpful suggestions. I know I've found Remy XO for about $15 for a nip (50ml). Seems really pricey for a nip, but when you consider $120 for a full bottle, it's worth it. Hope you have a great birthday!
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭

Hays:
    (for example - how many other 21 y/os wish to celebrate their birthday with cognac and cigars?)

me:D

It’s my birthday a week tomorrow and i intend to sit down with a sol cubano cuban cabinet A and have a selection of the brandy’s i keep. if you’re buying a selection i would suggest maybe not limiting it to cognac as a lot of very nice brandy also comes out of Armagnac. next year for my 21st im gong to do something a bit more special and find a bottle of Armagnac from the 1989(same age as me) vintage and have an opus x A.

on the subject of brandy though  Remy Martian vsop is my favourite reasonably priced one.  

i could never get any of my friends to enjoy an evening like this with me. You’re lucky if you can get your mates to join in.

• Options
    If your buddies arent cigar smokers or cigarette smokers I'd say 5V gold. I also like Cusano 18 for newer smokers. Maybe something cameroon. Have fun!
  • Options
    Have you made you decision yet hays ...... we wanna know ...... that will be the deciding factor if i show up or not ....... lol
  • Options
    kingjk729:
    Have you made you decision yet hays ...... we wanna know ...... that will be the deciding factor if i show up or not ....... lol
    Well I was originally going to go with the Gurkha Park Avenues, but I had a Perdomo Lot 23 recently and loved it. So I checked, and I can get a box of the robustos for $80 I think, which is still in my price range. So I'm kinda leaning that way - but I determined that there really won't be too many people indulging in my cigars, so I'm having a hard time justifying the box...

• Options
    You don't have to justify the box, there will just be more for you to smoke later. Enjoy!