Home General Discussion
Options

Lancero appeal....

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
What is it? I've never had a lancero so I have no idea what they offer. It just seems to me that with a smaller RG there wouldn't be as much smoke time or as much flavor of a 50+ RG stick. Input?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience and from what I have read from others on the net is that you get more flavors out of the wrapper. They are long cigars that are around 7x39 or so.
  • Options
    I think the guys on the forum like them bc it brings out their feminine side. They can hold them with their wrist bent like a lady. LOL j/k ;);)
  • Options
    Anther question for me is what makes a cigar a lancero? I've seen some labeled as lanceros but what exactly makes them one? Is there a specific length and RG that it has to be a lancero?
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66:
    Anther question for me is what makes a cigar a lancero? I've seen some labeled as lanceros but what exactly makes them one? Is there a specific length and RG that it has to be a lancero?
    I believe it just has to do with dimensions. Most average around 7x40 or so.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, until I really started to develop my palate and start researching cigars and tobacco strains and even different soul and climate areas, I always wanted larger cigars. Similar thought process that you stated Chaos. But the truth is that you get roughly 70-75% of the flavor of the cigar from the wrapper, and around equal measures of "body" (ie strength) from the filler. Also consider that the binder is typically a wrapper quality leaf that just isn't pretty enough to be used as a wrapper, so in most cases you have two sometimes even three leaves of wrapper tobacco (think double binders + wrapper like many/most Tat and DPG sticks) compared to the normal filler amount. For me the smaller ring gauge smokes have a more intense and distinct profile than the same blend but in a larger rg. It's almost like it concentrates the flavors and palates. So anything good will be extra good but on the reverse side, harsh or unpleasant notes become that much more prevalent as well. When I smoke a cigar there are three MAIN things that I really look for that determine a great stick from the rest; 1) Balance, 2) Uniqueness of Flavor, and 3) X-Factor (does it make me sit back and stare at the cigar in awe etc). But by far the most important one of those three to me is balance. I tend to find for my palate at least, that smaller rg sticks have a far better balance between not only the flavor and the strength of body, but also a balance within the profile of the cigar itself. Certainly isn't true with all small rg sticks and blends but in general they seem to be more balanced in the sense that no one note or flavor seems to dominate and push out all the other flavors in the profile.

Two last thoughts before I wrap this up and stop droning on like an old man... 1) HOW you smoke will affect more than ANYTHING how a cigar reacts and smokes and tastes. Smoke too fast or two slow and a $30 cigar can easily turn into tasting like a 50 cent swisher sweet that you found laying in a ditch on the side of the road near the Redneck Mafia's Haunt (Tennessee, Kentucky, and Colorado and Pennsylvania). How you smoke is the single greatest impact on how well a cigar can perform and live up to its potential. 2) The last and final thought... WHERE you smoke affects a ton too. The higher your relative elevation (in Colorado I'm either slightly above or below a mile high depending on where I smoke) the more dramatically did fern a cigar will taste. A Casa Fuente smoked at sea level will NOT taste the same as one smoke in Breckenridge, CO at 8000 ft elevation. It comes down to simple science, there is a shitload less O2 at higher elevation which means how te tobacco combusts and therefor tastes will be significantly different too. This is not a theory or even just science techno jargon that I'm spewing but rather information that was passed along to me by people who make their living selling, blending and producing cigars for a living and have been for well over 30 years. Hope this helps though it's probably wayyyyy too much F'ing info at this point lol
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    MorganGeo:
    LiquidChaos66:
    The "classic" Lancero size is 7" x 38 rg. However like with most things marcas (manufacturers) tweak and bend to fit to their own ideas and designs. So slightly shorter, slightly longer, slightly skinnier or fatter can all still be called a Lancero by any and many marcas.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    MorganGeo:
    LiquidChaos66:
    Morgan the 7"x40 you are thinking of was the Drew Estate L40 liga Privada Lancero. Jonathan Drew even admitted that since it was a 40 rg that it was techincally not realllly a Lancero since it was too far, but he wanted it a little fatter so he could add another leaf or two to the blend. Either way I could care less hahah still tasted incredible and it was close enough to a Lancero that I had zero complaints hahaha
  • Options
    All great info! It all makes sense too. I might have to get a few lanceros and try them out. I don't think I've had a stick lower than a 50 RG. Lol then again I don't have a tool of any sort to measure them. lol are there RG measurement tools?
  • Options
    Great info Irish! Lots of good tidbits in there.
  • Options
    Thanks gang and glad it helped :)
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    For me, until I really started to develop my palate and start researching cigars and tobacco strains and even different soul and climate areas, I always wanted larger cigars. Similar thought process that you stated Chaos. But the truth is that you get roughly 70-75% of the flavor of the cigar from the wrapper, and around equal measures of "body" (ie strength) from the filler. Also consider that the binder is typically a wrapper quality leaf that just isn't pretty enough to be used as a wrapper, so in most cases you have two sometimes even three leaves of wrapper tobacco (think double binders + wrapper like many/most Tat and DPG sticks) compared to the normal filler amount. For me the smaller ring gauge smokes have a more intense and distinct profile than the same blend but in a larger rg. It's almost like it concentrates the flavors and palates. So anything good will be extra good but on the reverse side, harsh or unpleasant notes become that much more prevalent as well. When I smoke a cigar there are three MAIN things that I really look for that determine a great stick from the rest; 1) Balance, 2) Uniqueness of Flavor, and 3) X-Factor (does it make me sit back and stare at the cigar in awe etc). But by far the most important one of those three to me is balance. I tend to find for my palate at least, that smaller rg sticks have a far better balance between not only the flavor and the strength of body, but also a balance within the profile of the cigar itself. Certainly isn't true with all small rg sticks and blends but in general they seem to be more balanced in the sense that no one note or flavor seems to dominate and push out all the other flavors in the profile.

Two last thoughts before I wrap this up and stop droning on like an old man... 1) HOW you smoke will affect more than ANYTHING how a cigar reacts and smokes and tastes. Smoke too fast or two slow and a $30 cigar can easily turn into tasting like a 50 cent swisher sweet that you found laying in a ditch on the side of the road near the Redneck Mafia's Haunt (Tennessee, Kentucky, and Colorado and Pennsylvania). How you smoke is the single greatest impact on how well a cigar can perform and live up to its potential. 2) The last and final thought... WHERE you smoke affects a ton too. The higher your relative elevation (in Colorado I'm either slightly above or below a mile high depending on where I smoke) the more dramatically did fern a cigar will taste. A Casa Fuente smoked at sea level will NOT taste the same as one smoke in Breckenridge, CO at 8000 ft elevation. It comes down to simple science, there is a shitload less O2 at higher elevation which means how te tobacco combusts and therefor tastes will be significantly different too. This is not a theory or even just science techno jargon that I'm spewing but rather information that was passed along to me by people who make their living selling, blending and producing cigars for a living and have been for well over 30 years. Hope this helps though it's probably wayyyyy too much F'ing info at this point lol
    I think that pretty much sums it up
    LiquidChaos66:
    are there RG measurement tools?
    there's an app for that.
  • Options
    Is there really an app for that? Or are you being funny????
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66:
    There is really an app for that.
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    LiquidChaos66:
    I thought he was joking too. There must be an app for everything.
  • Options
    MorganGeo:
    ddubridge:
    LiquidChaos66:
    I thought he was joking too. There must be an app for everything.
    There's probably and app for that as well... "is there an app for X? Great!"
  • Options
    Looks like in gonna have a new app!!!
  • Options
    FNAFNA Posts: 55
    "get roughly 70-75% of the flavor of the cigar from the wrapper"

This is generally acknowledged to be a myth.
  • Options
    FNA:
    "get roughly 70-75% of the flavor of the cigar from the wrapper" This is generally acknowledged to be a myth.
    It's at least got to be 71-76%. :D
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MorganGeo:
    FNA:
    "get roughly 70-75% of the flavor of the cigar from the wrapper" This is generally acknowledged to be a myth.
    Aren't you a CPA? Is that CPA type of joke?
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    MorganGeo:
    FNA:
    Aren't you a CPA? Is that CPA type of joke?
    I don't get out much. Comes with the profession.
  • Options
    FNA:

This "Percentage" is always in dispute. And hard to measure except with each individual's perception. But I'm certain there's more wrapper influence with the lanceros.

BTW I found an interesting article about wrapper influence.

Same filler and binder, but each with a different wrapper.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lanceros are gross
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Lanceros are gross
    Yucky. Only guys like Snidely Whiplash would smoke a lancero. Right?
  • Options
    FNA:
    You are welcome to your opinion sir, this is not something that I am just reciting since I read it online but rather information that I have garnished from trusted and very well respected members of the cigar industry. It will always be a debate on exactly how much which leaves influence flavor etc, but that is as accurate a statement as someone can make at this time I feel. If you'd like to argue this point, argue it with our industry professionals not me ;) As most of the members here know about me, if I don't have a trained source or can back it up I really don't post or say things unfounded. All of what I have stated in here is based in proven science or information from experts in the tobacco industry.

Also, 71.23% of all percentages are made up on the spot ;)
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    danielzreyes:
    Lanceros are gross
    Just put on Dudley Do-Right with Brendan Fraiser last night for my son Cael, what a goofy show but Snidely always makes me laugh hahaha
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Bob Luken:
    danielzreyes:
    Lanceros are gross
    Just put on Dudley Do-Right with Brendan Fraiser last night for my son Cael, what a goofy show but Snidely always makes me laugh hahaha
    I don't remember much about the Brendan Fraiser movie but I loved ALL the cartoons on "The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show :)
  • Options
    Food for thought...

• Options
    90+ Irishman:
    FNA:
    You are welcome to your opinion sir, this is not something that I am just reciting since I read it online but rather information that I have garnished from trusted and very well respected members of the cigar industry. It will always be a debate on exactly how much which leaves influence flavor etc, but that is as accurate a statement as someone can make at this time I feel. If you'd like to argue this point, argue it with our industry professionals not me ;) As most of the members here know about me, if I don't have a trained source or can back it up I really don't post or say things unfounded. All of what I have stated in here is based in proven science or information from experts in the tobacco industry.

Wrong...It's 68.91% of all percentages are made up on the spot
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    90+ Irishman:
    FNA:

Wrong...It's 68.91% of all percentages are made up on the spot
    Forgive me my friend you are correct ;)
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post on pg 1, Irish Brett.
    And nice videos Drew.

Lanceros = more flavor.
    Nice smoke if you do it right, gotta slow down though & not puff too fast or else it will get hot and "ruined." Not as much forgiveness as robustos, toros, etc.

Big agreement with this:
    90+ Irishman:
    But the truth is that you get roughly 70-75% of the flavor of the cigar from the wrapper, and around equal measures of "body" (ie strength) from the filler. Also consider that the binder is typically a wrapper quality leaf that just isn't pretty enough to be used as a wrapper, so in most cases you have two sometimes even three leaves of wrapper tobacco (think double binders + wrapper like many/most Tat and DPG sticks) compared to the normal filler amount. .....

.....So anything good will be extra good but on the reverse side, harsh or unpleasant notes become that much more prevalent as well.

danielzreyes:
    Lanceros are gross
    Send them to me ... I'll "suffer" and smoke them for you
    ;-)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *