Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

The RobbyRas Very Amateur Review Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    plowing my way through all the new releases from IPCPR 2013... this one will hit the stores soon and is a nice twist on the Connecticut smoke... I dig the whole San Lotano Oval line and the Connie is a nice extension.

Click on the image below to see the new review. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

San Lotano Oval Connecticut Review

Looking forward to this one! So, this is the Oval blend with a connecticut wrapper rather than the Connecticut blend in an oval shape? This is getting confusing...lol
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Ken Light:
    robbyras:
    plowing my way through all the new releases from IPCPR 2013... this one will hit the stores soon and is a nice twist on the Connecticut smoke... I dig the whole San Lotano Oval line and the Connie is a nice extension.

Click on the image below to see the new review. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

San Lotano Oval Connecticut Review

Looking forward to this one! So, this is the Oval blend with a connecticut wrapper rather than the Connecticut blend in an oval shape? This is getting confusing...lol
    All 3 of the Oval releases are the exact same blend, with the exception of the wrapper...when these are released and I get my hands on a few more, it would be interesting to smoke the Connie, Habano then the Maduro to get the full experience
  • Options
    It's time for you to join The Empire! Reinado has some good stuff for sure!

Click on the image below to read the review. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

Reinado GER Review

• Options
    We caught up with Eddie Ortega on the last day of the IPCPR show to chat about everything that is going on with Ortega Cigar Company. Eddie’s booth was right there when you first walk onto the show floor, so he was a busy man. We cover the new Ortega Mini Cigars and the revamped Cubao. Eddie ALWAYS busts my balls, but he is one of my favorites!
    I edited out most of the shenanigans at the beginning, but I left a few in just for fun.

• Options
    Obviously, this was one of the hottest topics at IPCPR 2013... it seemed like everyone was smoking it and talking about it... so when they became available, I picked up a 4-pack... Personally, I enjoyed the stick bigtime! But, I can see it being lost on folks who are looking for a full body Nicaraguan smoke... Davidoff lists this as a Full Body cigar, but I think that is relative to their previous releases... go in expecting a complex and creamy medium body cigar and you'll be pleased...

Click on the image below to read the review. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

Davidoff Nicaragua Review

• Options
    We switched things up a bit this week... we had Mike and Mike from Stogie 411 on the show... if you guys aren't familiar, Stogie 411 is a show that is similar to CigarChat... it was fun talking about the industry as a whole, covering some of our favorite sticks and stories...

Click on the image below to see the CigarChat episode. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

CigarChat with Stogie 411

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Looks like yall had a great time.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Looks like yall had a great time.
    we did! though I think the show was more fun for the folks on it than the viewers... it's nice to talk to folks who are doing something similar and see what their obstacles are...
  • Options
    I did not spend much time in the General Cigar booth at IPCPR, but in a very classy fashion, they sent me all their new releases and all the info... over the next few days I'll post all that info up on RRR and have some reviews [and maybe some giveaways] as well... first up is the Dunhill Aged Reserva Especiale 2006... The Piloto Cubano sounds like an interesting addition

Click on the image below to read the Press Release. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

CigarChat with Stogie 411

• Options
    CAO has gone in a new direction over the last few years and I have enjoyed some of their new releases... The OSA was a good smoke and the Concert turned out to be a really good budget smoke... I'm interested in checking out the Flathead because I like Connecticut Broadleaf and I like the idea of the wide box press (almost like the oval, but a bit more square). I have a few in hand and I'll have a review and a Giveaway featuring the Flathead and La Gloria Black next week.

Click on the image below to read the Press Release. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

CAO Flathead Press Release

• Options
    Like most of you guys, I like trying different cigars... sure, I have my favorites that I revisit on a regular basis, but I love trying different smokes... Curivari has been around for awhile, so they aren't necessarily "new" but they fly a little under the radar. The Reserva Limitada 4000 is my first Curivari review and it might be my favorite of the bunch so far. Great flavor, medium body, complexity, aroma, construction... it's all there and the price point is very affordable..

Curivari Reserva Limitada 4000

• Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    Like most of you guys, I like trying different cigars... sure, I have my favorites that I revisit on a regular basis, but I love trying different smokes... Curivari has been around for awhile, so they aren't necessarily "new" but they fly a little under the radar. The Reserva Limitada 4000 is my first Curivari review and it might be my favorite of the bunch so far. Great flavor, medium body, complexity, aroma, construction... it's all there and the price point is very affordable..

Curivari Reserva Limitada 4000

Have you had the El Gran Rey? So far that is my favorite of their offerings and wondered how this compares. I can only find these in one B&M and one or two places online, any idea why they're so limited?
  • Options
    I feel like I have been saying this a lot lately, but this is a DAMN good cigar! I guess I've been avoiding writing reviews on things I didn't enjoy like the Zombie SuperShot... Anyway, the AFR-75 is an elegant smoke that is on par with the Padron 64 Maduro and Liga Privada No.9 IMO...

AFR-75 Pre-Release Review

• Options
    Another great review rob. Sounds like an awesome stick.
    Watching the video, i was wondering if youve had one of the hermandad? Probably spelled that wrong.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Another great review rob. Sounds like an awesome stick.
    Watching the video, i was wondering if youve had one of the hermandad? Probably spelled that wrong.
    I think you actually got it right... La Hermandad... I have the original and the new Costa Fuerte set to be reviewed soon... I'll post them up here when they are done... thanks for the support Brotha! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    Your welcome man. I enjoy watching and reading the passion that you have for this hobby.
    I wish i had more time, money, opportunity, ect to devote to it.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    I stopped giving scores about a year ago... I did it because A) I am not an expert and B) just because I don't like a cigar doesn't mean it's bad

I did not like the CAO Flathead, but I think a ton of people will... it has a lot of things that folks like... it just so happens that I am not one of those folks...

I'll have a giveaway next week that will include the Flathead and the La Gloria Serie R Black (review of the LGCRB will coincide with the giveaway)

CAO Flathead Pre-Release Review

• Options
    I wonder if a longer vitola would give you more of the sweetness and less pepper, like you like.
    Ill have to remember about the giveaway next week also.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    I wonder if a longer vitola would give you more of the sweetness and less pepper, like you like.
    Ill have to remember about the giveaway next week also.
    I think a larger RG would cut down on the pepper... so I may give it another shot... the giveaway will probably kick off on Wed... i'll be sure to post it here...
  • Options
    Looks like there will be three Trunk Show releases this year... 2 will be B&M specific and 1 will be an online exclusive. I'm sure you all have seen/heard about the smokable bands... kinda gimmicky to me, but whatever... The blends sound interesting tho...

Click on the image below to read the press release. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

LGC Trunk Show Press Release

• Options
    They sound cool man.
    I really like the box of Liga YG-23.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Cigar's marketing genius, Mike Giannini, seems to be up to his usual tricks again.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Still with the giant vitolas though....
  • Options
    Yep, I'm still alive! It feels like years since I posted my last review... Some of you know that RobbyRasReviews is now moving over to CigarFederation.com and this is my first review since the move...

I decided to cover the La Palina Mr. Sam because it's a phenomenal cigar and it's feature in my 2013 Top 10 which I will be posting soon. Take a look at the review and let me know what you think? To me this was easily one of the best cigars to hit the market in '13...

La Palina Mr Sam Review

• Options
    Hey man. Good to see that you are still breathing!
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    The record clearly stats that I LOOOOOOOVE me some Crowned Heads... so when i heard that Jon was teaming up with My Father for the Las Calaveras project, i was quite pumped! Jon recently sent over a few pre-release samples for review...

I'll have the full review posted tomorrow, but check out the Pre-Game for all the details on the Las Calaveras

Click on the image below to read the Pre-Game. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

Crowned Heads Las Calaveras Pre-Game

• Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Well well well look what we have here......
  • Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    I just placed a preorder for this one. It looks wonderful.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey chuck, where'd you order from?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Hey chuck, where'd you order from?
    Regency cigar emporium.