what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    mmccartneydc:
    Bigshizza:
    mmccartneydc:
    I hate you all! Over 9 wks without a drink............
    Great you'll be a thin crazy SOB selling excess skin for a drop...sad..
    Bwahahahahahaaha! Too true! Actually, I just want to see what this diet does to my liver enzyme levels. I shall partake again, just not to excess as I may have done once or twice in the past! LOL
    (That stinks)
    But awesome work, Doc! Way to "stay strong" and keep on track with the diet/weight loss ....
    You'll have to fix up something special for a celebratory drink when you hit your goal!

Finished off the Four Roses this week .....

And, I'm not sure which one I want to open next....

Rowan's Creek KY Bourbon?

Or Popcorn Sutton's TN White Whiskey

Hmm.
    Decisions, decisions...
    Well John that's not a bad problem to have now is it? Drink on bro
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    mmccartneydc:
    Bigshizza:
    mmccartneydc:
    I hate you all! Over 9 wks without a drink............
    Great you'll be a thin crazy SOB selling excess skin for a drop...sad..
    Bwahahahahahaaha! Too true! Actually, I just want to see what this diet does to my liver enzyme levels. I shall partake again, just not to excess as I may have done once or twice in the past! LOL
    (That stinks)
    But awesome work, Doc! Way to "stay strong" and keep on track with the diet/weight loss ....
    You'll have to fix up something special for a celebratory drink when you hit your goal!

Finished off the Four Roses this week .....

And, I'm not sure which one I want to open next....

Rowan's Creek KY Bourbon?

Or Popcorn Sutton's TN White Whiskey

Hmm.
    Decisions, decisions...
    Rowan's Creek is very tasty. Haven't had Popcorn.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Good to see you back, brother!
    Hope all is well with you and your family.

Bought them both "blind" when we were in KY. Didn't know a single thing about them before purchasing .... other than knowing "Popcorn Sutton's" name from TV & the web.

But good to know the Rowan's Creek has your seal of approval (since you know your boubons much better than I do.)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    jthanatos:

Bought them both "blind" when we were in KY. Didn't know a single thing about them before purchasing .... other than knowing "Popcorn Sutton's" name from TV & the web.

But good to know the Rowan's Creek has your seal of approval (since you know your boubons much better than I do.)
    Rowan's is done by the same people that do Vintage Bourbon and Noah's Mill. I like Rowan's and Noah's for both sipping and cocktails as the higher abv stands up very well to mixers. Makes a great old fashioned.

I am actually working through some Woodford personal selection at the moment.... delicious.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    jgibv:
    jthanatos:

Rowan's is done by the same people that do Vintage Bourbon and Noah's Mill. I like Rowan's and Noah's for both sipping and cocktails as the higher abv stands up very well to mixers. Makes a great old fashioned.

I am actually working through some Woodford personal selection at the moment.... delicious.
    Awesome, thanks for the insight ... I was looking at the Noah's too, they both looked good. IDK if it's distributed in OH though; if so Noah's might be my next bottle purchase.
    If not I'll probably grab some Woodford. Great stuff.

And yes, I've been digging the Old Fashioneds lately (thanks to you for getting me started on them ;-) I'm still working my way through those moonshine cherries too)

We took a tour at the Town Branch/KY Bourbon Ale, and Woodford distilleries last week --- it was awesome. You ever been down that way?
    If not, you gotta stop if you're ever in central KY ---- beautiful area of the country, and lots of history. Especially at the Woodford distillery, fantastic experience.

EDIT:
    Hold up, wait a minute!!! Woodford Personal Selection .... as in you did the whole "pick out your own barrel" program? If so, color me jealous!!
    Even if not, I'm envious that you know someone who did it and got to score (at least) one bottle from them. Very cool!!!!

And btw, I was starting to get hooked on bourbon before we went down there, but after visiting KY ... I'm sold!!!

• Options
    jgibv:
    jthanatos:
    jgibv:
    jthanatos:

Awesome, thanks for the insight ... I was looking at the Noah's too, they both looked good. IDK if it's distributed in OH though; if so Noah's might be my next bottle purchase.
    If not I'll probably grab some Woodford. Great stuff.

And yes, I've been digging the Old Fashioneds lately (thanks to you for getting me started on them ;-) I'm still working my way through those moonshine cherries too)

We took a tour at the Town Branch/KY Bourbon Ale, and Woodford distilleries last week --- it was awesome. You ever been down that way?
    If not, you gotta stop if you're ever in central KY ---- beautiful area of the country, and lots of history. Especially at the Woodford distillery, fantastic experience.

EDIT:
    Hold up, wait a minute!!! Woodford Personal Selection .... as in you did the whole "pick out your own barrel" program? If so, color me jealous!!
    Even if not, I'm envious that you know someone who did it and got to score (at least) one bottle from them. Very cool!!!!

And btw, I was starting to get hooked on bourbon before we went down there, but after visiting KY ... I'm sold!!!
    Unfortunately, I was unable to go with for the barrel picking due to work, but we did a 5 way split. Now the ones that went are hooked, and we are talking of doing it again in a couple years.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Unfortunately, I was unable to go with for the barrel picking due to work, but we did a 5 way split. Now the ones that went are hooked, and we are talking of doing it again in a couple years.
    That stinks!

Very cool about the "split" though, that's a great idea.
    I don't drink enough boubon (yet) but if I ever get to a point where it's my go to drink, I'd love to do that too & split it with some friends/co-workers.

If you get another barrel though, and are able to make the trip down. DO IT!
    Woodford's grounds are beautiful ---- and lots of historic buildings that are still maintained/used by the distillery.
    Very cool place.

• Options
    jthanatos:
    Cracked open the Rowan's a couple days ago .... very good!
    I could sip on this all day long .... it's not as "spicy" as the Four Roses was.

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    jthanatos:
    That stinks!

Very cool about the "split" though, that's a great idea.
    I don't drink enough boubon (yet) but if I ever get to a point where it's my go to drink, I'd love to do that too & split it with some friends/co-workers.

If you get another barrel though, and are able to make the trip down. DO IT!
    Woodford's grounds are beautiful ---- and lots of historic buildings that are still maintained/used by the distillery.
    Very cool place.
    I love Woodford and actually just visited last week. Id love to do the barrel deal some day.... too freakin cool!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Two nights ago went to a pub with a buddy, had a guinness, glass of capt. Morgan, a smithwick, angry orchard, and then 2 irish car bombs. Pretty good time.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Drinking one of my many New Glarus Wild Sour Ales.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Woke up with a cough took a shot of four roses cough gone.

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    At a bar for a birthday. Started with a Devil Dancer, then a Farmhouse Hatter, a shot of Oban, and finally a Young's Chocolate Stout. Not bad for a night out with the ladies.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    At a bar for a birthday. Started with a Devil Dancer, then a Farmhouse Hatter, a shot of Oban, and finally a Young's Chocolate Stout. Not bad for a night out with the ladies.
    Oooo those 4 Hatters are awesome.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    @jthanatos: Are you still able to find the Vintage Bourbon around your way? It's completely sold out around here and they're not making that stuff anymore.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    @jthanatos: Are you still able to find the Vintage Bourbon around your way? It's completely sold out around here and they're not making that stuff anymore.
    Other than stumbling upon an old dusty bottle, no. I am hoping that it will come back when this bubble bursts and aging stock becomes profitable again. That said, you can still sometimes grab a bottle of the Vintage Rye on thewhiskyexchange.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've looked all around for that stuff. Picked up a bottle and hesitated on a backup and now I'm kicking myself. I've had multiple friends try that and now they can't find it anywhere. I'm hoping they put that back out or maybe another vintage (they previously did a 21 year that I've only read about). Tough to find a gem like that, especially at that price. I'm coveting my last and only bottle.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Yeah, I've looked all around for that stuff. Picked up a bottle and hesitated on a backup and now I'm kicking myself. I've had multiple friends try that and now they can't find it anywhere. I'm hoping they put that back out or maybe another vintage (they previously did a 21 year that I've only read about). Tough to find a gem like that, especially at that price. I'm coveting my last and only bottle.
    If I was to guess, I would say being wheated is what killed the brand for now. With the explosion of American Whiskey popularity and people looking for Pappy-like whiskeys they may not be able to get the quanities of aged wheated juice they want (especially if some of the rumors are true about the Van Winkles looking for another source to supplement BT).
  • Options
    I personally am not a fan of Pappy. I think they're over-rated and over-priced. I'd take that Vintage 17 over Pappy 23 any day. ESPECIALLY for the difference in price and (at the time) availability. Pappy has never been a distillery but more of a sourced bourbon and once they switched from Stitzel-Weller to Buffalo Trace, people started to notice a difference. I didn't know they're now looking elsewhere to source their juice. That's interesting.

Any suggestions on another, high-end, sipping Bourbon that may be able to stun me as the Vintage 17 did? I briefly considered the Pepper 15 year but read some terrible reviews on it, so decided to hold off. I love my Angel's Envy and have some good stuff to hold me over for the time being but it's the eternal search for the next "greatest" thing.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I personally am not a fan of Pappy. I think they're over-rated and over-priced. I'd take that Vintage 17 over Pappy 23 any day. ESPECIALLY for the difference in price and (at the time) availability. Pappy has never been a distillery but more of a sourced bourbon and once they switched from Stitzel-Weller to Buffalo Trace, people started to notice a difference. I didn't know they're now looking elsewhere to source their juice. That's interesting.

Any suggestions on another, high-end, sipping Bourbon that may be able to stun me as the Vintage 17 did? I briefly considered the Pepper 15 year but read some terrible reviews on it, so decided to hold off. I love my Angel's Envy and have some good stuff to hold me over for the time being but it's the eternal search for the next "greatest" thing.
    To be fair, KBD, despite the name, aren't a distillery either, just bottlers. General agreement is a lot of their product is Heaven Hill made. They have been looking to start refurbing a distillery that they own, but are many years out on producing product. I agree that old Pappy is over hyped (tastes mossy to me), but I do enjoy both the Pappy 15 and the Family Reserve 12. I don't know anything for certain on the sourcing, but just a gut feeling from some of the talk expansion.

As far as 'wow' factor whiskeys, I haven't seen too much in bourbon lately. This year's Parker's Heritage was good, and the abv was very nice, but not as tasty as previous years. If you are wanting to branch out from bourbon, Angel's Envy caribbean cask rye was very good, as is the current batch of Dickel barrel select. This year's BT Antique collection should be dropping soon, and always has good stuff and, while it varies in quality year to year, Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon is worth keeping around. Oh yeah, you can also grab the Kentucky Vintage Bourbon, same people, not wheated.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've never had that vintage 17 your talking about so I have no comparison, however I have found bullet makes a nice bourbon. Sure it's not going to beat your 17 but for a frequent sipper I have dug it. And the price isn't as much as some others at least around my area.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I've never had that vintage 17 your talking about so I have no comparison, however I have found bullet makes a nice bourbon. Sure it's not going to beat your 17 but for a frequent sipper I have dug it. And the price isn't as much as some others at least around my area.
    I am a big fan of Bulleit's rye for manhattans. Add some cherry bitters... yum. That said, I have notice the flavor profile of their bourbon can vary greatly bottle to bottle. I have had some that was overpoweringly cinnamon and others that tasted like a fruit basket. Not sure if I have just been unlucky to get bottles when they changed their sourcing, but it is still a very nice bourbon.
  • Options
    ah bad qc. sad to hear that really. I just watched bullet to the head with stallon. I thought it was funny he actually brought bullet to the bars on the film. not sure if it was a ad placement or he really likes it, sort of like how he smoked opus's on the expendables film.
  • Options
    Went to the pub after golf on Tues ....

And the pub had GLBC Xmas Ale on tap!
    Ooooo yeah!!!!

• Options
    jthanatos:
    To be fair, KBD, despite the name, aren't a distillery either, just bottlers. General agreement is a lot of their product is Heaven Hill made. They have been looking to start refurbing a distillery that they own, but are many years out on producing product. I agree that old Pappy is over hyped (tastes mossy to me), but I do enjoy both the Pappy 15 and the Family Reserve 12. I don't know anything for certain on the sourcing, but just a gut feeling from some of the talk expansion.

As far as 'wow' factor whiskeys, I haven't seen too much in bourbon lately. This year's Parker's Heritage was good, and the abv was very nice, but not as tasty as previous years. If you are wanting to branch out from bourbon, Angel's Envy caribbean cask rye was very good, as is the current batch of Dickel barrel select. This year's BT Antique collection should be dropping soon, and always has good stuff and, while it varies in quality year to year, Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon is worth keeping around. Oh yeah, you can also grab the Kentucky Vintage Bourbon, same people, not wheated.
    True. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against companies that source Bourbon if they're picking and blending great products but I have more respect for those that take that Bourbon and actually DO something with it. Stick it in another cask for a while and see what comes out. It might turn to crap or it might be amazing. With great risk comes great reward. And that brings me to two you mentioned:

Parker's Heritage - I skipped this year's release because it just didn't sound that interesting but I have the 27 year and the Cognac finish. Both are stellar releases. Although entirely different from one another, each has its charms and uniqueness among the Bourbon world.

Angels Envy Caribbean Cask Rye - Just stupid how good this stuff is. I'm generally not a huge fan of Rye but holy crap that stuff is good! I was actually a bit surprised at just how much spice and caramel the Rye was able to pull out of the Rum barrels.

Haven't had any of the BT Antique Collections but did have the Woodford 4 Wood Masters Collection and was impressed. Not the smoothest sipping Bourbon but they were able to pack a ton of flavor in there. I can see where some people argued that it was a bit over-done and muddled but I applaud them for trying something different and actually pulling it off fairly well.

If I happen to stumble upon something amazing, I'll be sure to post it on here. I may bring myself to try that James E Pepper 15 year at some point. We'll see.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Rob thanks for that reco, I need to try Angels Envy Caribbean Cask Rye. Sounds yummy.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Rob thanks for that reco, I need to try Angels Envy Caribbean Cask Rye. Sounds yummy.
    Just know it is actually just called Angel's Envy Rye. It got the nickname based on the other big 'finished in rum barrels' whisky, Balvenie Caribbean Cask.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Woodford Reserve Personal Selection, courtesy of jthanatos. I feel especially honored to know that I have one of six bottles from this barrel. James, thank you so much for the wonderful libation!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    To celebrate my birthday and new job, had some Reuben pizza, some Angel's Envy Rye, and for dessert, one of my favorite Champagnes: Bollinger Grande Annee 2002. Delicious.

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Off-topic, but good god man, did you say reuben pizza? I thought baked ziti pizza was good, that sounds incredible!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.