Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Scotch??

Comments

• Options
    kgrandekgrande Posts: 15

For Balvenie, my favorite hands down is the 14 YO Carribean Cask.  It has a nice full flavor with warm overtones from the Rum cask.  You can get it for $50-$55.

Other favorites are Dalmore 12, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. 

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I agree with most of the posts on this thread.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Had some Grangestone 12 this weekend and was not impressed. However for 27 dollars it may be ok as the third drink of the night when you are not concentrating as much on flavor profile and nose. Any other thoughts?
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Bombay:
    Had some Grangestone 12 this weekend and was not impressed. However for 27 dollars it may be ok as the third drink of the night when you are not concentrating as much on flavor profile and nose. Any other thoughts?
    Here is all I know: William Grant and Sons product, very new (showed up just last year), most likely a relabeling of 'off profile' Highland Park for Total Wine (Maybe from their Famous Grouse stuff, based on price?). I have only had the 12, was a one trick very vanilla pony... but it did its trick very well, and sits a lovely price range for a table whisky.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kgrande:

For Balvenie, my favorite hands down is the 14 YO Carribean Cask.  It has a nice full flavor with warm overtones from the Rum cask.  You can get it for $50-$55.

Other favorites are Dalmore 12, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. 

I just finished a bottle over the weekend, great stuff that is. Though I think I paid like almost 65 or something. My stores around me have big mark ups on the higher end stuff.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    jthanatos:
    Bombay:
    Here is all I know: William Grant and Sons product, very new (showed up just last year), most likely a relabeling of 'off profile' Highland Park for Total Wine (Maybe from their Famous Grouse stuff, based on price?). I have only had the 12, was a one trick very vanilla pony... but it did its trick very well, and sits a lovely price range for a table whisky.
    Good to know I am feeling the same as others on this. Definitely in the right price range for table stuff. Wont be reaching for this when I have a special occassion or hit a milestone but will keep it around.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried the any of the Japanese scotchs or whiskeys?
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    no but I hear The Yamazaki is really good.
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I tried scotch once. ended up spitting it out. Is it just a taste you get used to or are there a bit more "milder" stuff out there for a newb to get into it?
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenmorangie 10 year old is in my opinion very mild. It has a vanilla/peach flavor to it. What type of scotch did you try? They vary greatly from region to region.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Called Johnnie Walker Red Label
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    no but I hear The Yamazaki is really good.
    Thanks, I've been really curious, but it's fairly spendy for an experiment. Guy who worked at the store said it was good, but he's new to the store and didn't like a couple of bottles that I do (Bushmills and Glenlivet French Oak).
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:

Yeah, no, Red label is used to clean toilets and not much else. Try any other scotch for a real sampling of what scotch is about.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    To the Japanese Whiskey question: I've had Yamazaki, Hibiki and Nikka and thought Nikka was the best of the three. I will also say they're not worth the money. I'm not sure why the Japanese haven't just done something of their own and created their own niche in the Whiskey world but they've all tried to completely replicate and imitate Scotch. Leave that to the Scotts. They've been doing it far longer than you. Just my 2 cents. I had high hopes for Yamazaki and Hibiki when I first heard about them but was disappointed in what they put forth, especially for the price. Nikka was good but I still wasn't completely floored.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    To the Japanese Whiskey question: I've had Yamazaki, Hibiki and Nikka and thought Nikka was the best of the three. I will also say they're not worth the money. I'm not sure why the Japanese haven't just done something of their own and created their own niche in the Whiskey world but they've all tried to completely replicate and imitate Scotch. Leave that to the Scotts. They've been doing it far longer than you. Just my 2 cents. I had high hopes for Yamazaki and Hibiki when I first heard about them but was disappointed in what they put forth, especially for the price. Nikka was good but I still wasn't completely floored.
    Did you have the 18 or 12 year Yamazaki? I had the 18 at a Scotch night over at Roman's and it was delicious. I have heard the 12 is far inferior to the 18.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    Rob1110:
    Did you have the 18 or 12 year Yamazaki? I had the 18 at a Scotch night over at Roman's and it was delicious. I have heard the 12 is far inferior to the 18.
    Hmmm, sounds like I need to find a bar that serves it and give it a go. I agree with the idea they should do their own thing rather than imitate.
  • Options
    Picked this up for a personal celebration.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've only had the 12 year old Yamazaki. I've also heard the 18 is much better but going on my impressions of the 12 and the price of both, I can't see myself dropping the dough on the 18. Need to save that for a living room set right now. :(

Glenmorangie is one of my personal favorite Scotch distilleries. If you ever have the chance to try their Signet, it's a very unique Scotch. Really amazing stuff. Their private editions are usually worth the investment as well.

If you have any questions on Scotch, ask away. Cheers!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Picked up some Monkey Shoulder recently. Tried it on a whim at a local bar and loved it.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    That's kinda like not having sex with anyone because the first girl you slept with was a 98yr old hooker with no arms.
    Scotch is like cigars. So many flavor profiles, bodies, strengths, and nuances.
  • Options
    Got a craving for some new bottles so I picked these up yesterday:
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I am just starting to get into scotch, actually haven't bought my first bottle yet, going to do that this weekend. After reading this thread so many choices out there. But i think i am going to start with Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr. and go from there..
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    Got a craving for some new bottles so I picked these up yesterday:
    The double wood is spectacular.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also if you can ever get your hands on a 19yr Glenfidich I highly recommend it. It is very rare and pricey but worth every penny.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Anyone got a line on balvenie double wood or port wood? I can't believe my local bevmo doesn't have either...
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Anyone got a line on balvenie double wood or port wood? I can't believe my local bevmo doesn't have either...
    I am pretty sure I have access to both..... Keep an eye in the Gang War thread tomorrow ..... 100% on the double wood and 75% on the port wood .... I'll try and confirm pricing tomorrow.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    If King can't hook ya up let me know, I know both my favorite stores have it (well, they HAD it last i was in and carry it regularly I think).
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally need to try scotch... I'm glad I read this thread first since my buddy just recommended J.W. red label, lol!!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    Jetmech_63:
    If King can't hook ya up let me know, I know both my favorite stores have it (well, they HAD it last i was in and carry it regularly I think).

A Google search just now shows BevMo has the Doublewood in stock but not the Portwood. I don't know where they'd be shipping it from, however.

Do they have BevMo in Oregon, Perkinke? If so, how do the prices compare with other states? California, for example. One of my brothers has a home about 4 miles south of the Oregon border and the nearby liquor store parking lot is always jammed with cars with Oregon plates on them. Prices must be much higher in Oregon, I'd say.....
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:

Hey, Vinnie, K&L Wines.com says they have both the Doublewood and the Portwood in stock. Maybe you should check out their website. Also, I'm currently in the Santa Cruz area for a few days and there's a local shop who says they have the Portwood in stock. If ya like, I'll go check them out for ya. Their advertised price is pretty steep, though. Let me know....