Home General Discussion
Options

liga undercrown

Is it just me or is there alot better choices for a better cigar in the same price range?  I bought a bunch in january, they are just about gone now but I always chose them as last resort. 

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Chips2481:
    Is it just me or is there alot better choices for a better cigar in the same price range?  I bought a bunch in january, they are just about gone now but I always chose them as last resort. 
    youre right.

i think most Liga stuff is way over priced for what it is. for the same price range at most liga stuff i can pick up a DAVIDOFF that is way more complex, smoother, and generally easier to find.

And davidoff is considered to be an "expensive brand" where as the Drew Estates stuff doesnt seem to have the same stigma.

dont get me wrong, the Liga Privada stuff is good, but a T52 Toro is not worth $15. (what my local B&M is selling them for) The Undercrown is a good smoke. but its basically a version of the LP.9 made with weaker less flavorful tobacco. for that price i can get DPG blues that are way more complex, flavorful, and also available whenever i want them.

i really do like Liga Privada.
    i just agree that the price point is not what it should be.

of course this is caused by the DE limited availability. they are a good enough cigar that people ask for them and look for them and will pay a bit more for them when they find them because who knows when they will see them again. however, if they were not so hard to get, would they command the same price?
    the No.9 and the T52 are LEs without being branded as LEs.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I agree with regards to the no.9 and t52 being over-priced but I have never paid more than $5 for the many undercrowns I've had. They are a $5 stick all day long.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy the undercrowns, but I agree that the retail ($7-$10) is a little high on them. When they can be had for a good deal, I am all over them.

as for 9's Ive only had one, and dont go hunting for them.

Many DPG, Avo, Tatuaje, and LFD's are comparable in price so yeah theres definitely some competition there. It all depends what youre lookig for.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I agree with Kuzi completely. I think I avoid all Ligas and undercrown because of price and my feelings like its a controlled limited availability. Or a manufactured and controlled scarcity to hype the price way up. And the coolness also, so you feel cool when you have a box of "rare" lp 9s or t52s. The 2 undercrowns I smoked though, were ok if you can get them for less than 5 bucks or so. Not anywhere near b&m prices, I can smoke better at cheaper prices.
  • Options
    kingdavid5kingdavid5 Posts: 293
    This is true the undercrowns I grab all the time when I see them for a good price but I'm always hesitant to purchase the 9 or 52. I went to my local shop the guy knows I like liga and good quality cigars he had the uf13 I saw the 16$ price I said no thanks I would rather get the pardon anniversary for that price. I have yet to have a davidoff yet so I'm not to sure how those stack up for the price
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I am not a big fan of Liga and DE cigars. They are not complex and the flavor profile is very one dimensional. The market has many good Nicaraguan cigars within that price range. DE say- primary Liga was made for personal consumption and thats why they are rare. This is simply a marketing trick. Liga has many sub-line products and they all taste the same to me. My question is why don't they simply stick with no. 9 and 52 if they are so rare? After Liga they came up with another marketing trick with Undercrown and later short filler Papas Fristas. Interestingly all of them has a related story with original Liga line. Also, lately the on-going construction issue with Liga line has been a serious concern. In the future, this might hurt DE though they came up with a new line Herrera Esteli- which in my opinion is the best non-infused cigar in DE production line. There are many good cigars in the market but at the end it is always about the consistent quality, price and value. My personal observation is- DE is lacking the quality and the price. Please don't get me wrong- Liga is a good cigar but i dropped it from my smoking list for its poor construction, price and the hyper marketing strategy. However, you will see more availability of original Liga 9 and 52 this year. They have boosted the production recently. I don't know what happened to the rare tobacco story this time-: )
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    I agree with Kuzi completely. I think I avoid all Ligas and undercrown because of price and my feelings like its a controlled limited availability. Or a manufactured and controlled scarcity to hype the price way up. And the coolness also, so you feel cool when you have a box of "rare" lp 9s or t52s. The 2 undercrowns I smoked though, were ok if you can get them for less than 5 bucks or so. Not anywhere near b&m prices, I can smoke better at cheaper prices.
    +1
    not too fond of their quality contol either
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    I agree with regards to the no.9 and t52 being over-priced but I have never paid more than $5 for the many undercrowns I've had. They are a $5 stick all day long.
    This is my thought as well. I can get Undercrowns for $5 pretty easily and at that price, I really enjoy them. I would not pay $9 for that stick. I do enjoy the #9 and T52 and thankfully they are plentiful at my B&M, but they are priced too high. The OpusX right next to them are cheaper, for crying out loud.
  • Options
    TexvetTexvet Posts: 39
    I agree that we've been the target of a very well planned marketing ploy. I also think that marketing only goes so far. Clearly after all the DE stories are told - we (they) are left with decent at best cigar(s). The good news is - there are tons of great affordable cigars to be enjoyed.
  • Options
    musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    I like the undercrowns but I agree not for the price range. I have never seen a Undercrown for less than $9. Where the heck do you fellas find them for $5!?
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    musicman3:
    I like the undercrowns but I agree not for the price range. I have never seen a Undercrown for less than $9. Where the heck do you fellas find them for $5!?
    Call or email Tim here at cigar.com! He will work out a deal for ya
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    got a few of these in, these last weeks, and i have to say they are horrible, i went off a few reviews and peoples opinions and gave them a shot, i could not finish the cigar thats how bad i found it to be,
    might be my taste pallet though, $9 really? i figured that cigar around $3, well then again i did not shop them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm not too impressed with the whole line myself. I don't have the best palate but even if prices were the same, I would still reach for other sticks.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    got a few of these in, these last weeks, and i have to say they are horrible, i went off a few reviews and peoples opinions and gave them a shot, i could not finish the cigar thats how bad i found it to be,
    might be my taste pallet though, $9 really? i figured that cigar around $3, well then again i did not shop them
    Give them 6 months down. They are very oily fresh at times, and can get a little sour. I like them, but not until they hit 6 months to a year and become a bit more creamy.
  • Options
    I like Liga, don't buy the hype, and stopped buying the sticks due to construction versus prices. I still like the occasional UC with age. Sadly, I've heard from several reviewers that went deep on the HE have had issues as well. Not only that, but their replacements had issues again.
  • Options
    bripperbripper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Undercrown is good, LP9 is great. But am tired of Drew Estate's arrogant marketing & stingy production. It's not like their cigars are the only smokes on the planet.
  • Options
    Chips2481Chips2481 Posts: 52
    Maybe I should let my last 8 sit for awhile.  I am smoking another today, seems better then the one I had when I started this thread.  Seems some better then others.  Maybe these had sat for awhile longer at cigar.com?

The first inch has the great flavor then the rest just seems downhill.  I did get them for the $5 a piece deal but even that is barely at par with the same $8 a stick genesis I have.
  • Options
    Let them sit. The genesis was terrible fresh and improved dramatically. I remember my first Undercrown I hated. Waited, had another a couple weeks later, hated it, JHewey tried to get them from me lol... Then after a few months, it wa excellent. Now when I buy them, I bury for 6 months.
  • Options
    CigarMan37CigarMan37 Posts: 432
    The Undercrown is very good but very pricey, I was lucky enough to score one at Cigar Fest
  • Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I love the UC at the right price. Tons of smoke, if not complex. I prefer the T52 over the 9. Love the pepper in that stick..

• Options
    ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    I agree with most of what has been said regarding artificially restricted supply, quality vs. price, etc. But to me the T52 is an excellent stick. Still over-priced, but if it had an MSRP of $10 I'd be all over them. I think most of the UC's are meh, but the corona viva version is outstanding in my opinion, especially when you can get them for $5 or so. The one that really baffles me is the Pappas Fritas. Why anyone would pay $8 for a short-filler corona is beyond me.
  • Options
    armaes8armaes8 Posts: 279
    I agree with stashing the Undercrown away for some time. I have some from a year ago and they are good, not LP good but they suffice when you can't have a T52 or a #9. I know some guys like the #9 better but I after smoking a few T52s I think this has the slight edge. I recently had a UC corona viva, and it was solid the whole way throughout. The nice thing I realized with this particular stick, is that I was able to pretty much smoke as is, no waiting!
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    I just posted in reviews how I am done with the uc
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I agree....I read a lot of the reviews on this and got a 5 pak and smoked the first one after a month...it was good but there are better for the same price. Gotta hand it to the ad/marketing peeps...they sure know how to get into our wallets.