Home General Discussion
Options

An Open Letter

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    RICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    RickrollRickroll Posts: 58
    Vision:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Alex Svenson:
    One of the things I have always loved about our little slice of heaven here at the Cigar.com forum is the great quality of people that come through it. I also love how you guys always seem to have our back when the occasional troll comes around with no other purpose than to disrupt our community. You guys truly protect this place and for that I am grateful. Sadly, I see more and more of these folks coming around every week, visiting for the sole purpose of acting like total jackasses and trying to issue spoiler after spoiler with a holier than thou attitude. Not once have I really I ever seen any of long standing regulars refer to someone as "noob" or go out of their way to exclude people from the forum or participating. You guys really are the reason I do what I do. I tell people all the time that "cigar people really are the most generous and gracious people in the world" and I think that gets exemplified here in our forum more than anywhere else. God bless and thank you for your business, for your loyalty and for being all around standup folks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPYZpwSpKmA
  • Options
    Rain:
    RICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqZS89jFCFg
  • Options
    I am so sorry I left you all for so long, please excuse my absence as a... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2xel6q0yao
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Thank God, this thread needed some love lol
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I think it's fair to say we all individually have gotten A LOT more out of this forum than any of us have individually contributed. This place has been an enormous resource for me over the years, not just with knowledge but with sharing the camaraderie of cigars with other BOTLs. Thank you all for that.

When drama arises, which it has and will continue to do so, I don't ever take it personally. I just skip over it and keep on truckin'. This place is filled with awesome people, that's what I come here for and that's what keeps me coming back.

Alex and the entire Ccom staff are just as much of the forum backbone as any of us and their contributions are invaluable. Thank you Alex for providing this forum for us and for all you have done for us over the years. Having your back is EASY! You guys personify everything I love about cigars and the entire cigar community. Rock on, Ccom!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Agreed Bhp, this place is amazing, and I love it. I will always support Alex and ccom because of this place period.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Vision... That was not my intention.... Sorry you took it that way It was a general rule of behavior I believe we all could keep in mind before clicking that Post box.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    bigharpoon:
    I think it's fair to say we all individually have gotten A LOT more out of this forum than any of us have individually contributed. This place has been an enormous resource for me over the years, not just with knowledge but with sharing the camaraderie of cigars with other BOTLs. Thank you all for that.

When drama arises, which it has and will continue to do so, I don't ever take it personally. I just skip over it and keep on truckin'. This place is filled with awesome people, that's what I come here for and that's what keeps me coming back.

Alex and the entire Ccom staff are just as much of the forum backbone as any of us and their contributions are invaluable. Thank you Alex for providing this forum for us and for all you have done for us over the years. Having your back is EASY! You guys personify everything I love about cigars and the entire cigar community. Rock on, Ccom!
    +1 I like to hear what cigars each of you like and which ones that are currently being produced are on top of their game. I honestly can't make heads nor tails of the writeups in the various catalogs as to what I would like. On here you make it alot easier for me to understand. Thanks to all of you who come here and contribute! Sincerely. It makes it a great place to be. ;-)
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Vision... That was not my intention.... Sorry you took it that way It was a general rule of behavior I believe we all could keep in mind before clicking that Post box.

I do owe an apology to Kasper. I do know that it was not your intention. Again I am sorry my friend. We are lucky to have level headed people like Tony here.... and that is why I keep coming back.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    I'm one of those noobs who has made a home here as best i can very recently.

The one thing i want to say is that being a geek I have been a founding member of several forums. Over the years it is very hard not to feel the sense of entitlement and thinking that this is your little piece of the world and newbies need to "pay your dues", shut up, read the history, and pay homage to the people who have been around a while. I am currently a part of a community that has done a poor job of that and our little home is dying because there are less and less people coming around and no newbs to join because we Old Guys were ass holes and ran them off.

That is one of the big things that i like around here. Of all the forums that i have joined in my quest to learn about cigars, this one is by far the most welcoming. Every other one i have joined either hasn't been around long enough to have that sense, or is too full of the type of members that run off newbies or make the newbies jump through hoops to really be a part of the forum.

Its not just about the bombing, which is really awesome welcome and makes people want to stick around, but also the invites to conversation and to be a sibling of the leaf in other ways. The invites to poker, the way the newbie trade thread is ran, the way newbies are welcomed into the various games that go on here, the way that newbs can jump into convo without their opinions being glossed over or ignored, and the fact that many of you remember what it was like to be in our shoes and act accordingly.

The other nice thing is that when newbs come with stupid questions they are given gentle reminders that much of the info that newbs need is already on here, BUT with those gentle reminders comes the info that you are looking for. Not a "search is your friend" comment, but rather free flowing info to those in need. That is greatly appreciated.

In closing those of you who are the Old Guys around here have created a wonderful community and really deserve a pat on the back. Those Old Guys who left, you guys are the ones that are missing out. There is a place for you and I for one would love for you to come back and share your knowledge with us newbs.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:

The one thing i want to say is that being a geek I have been a founding member of several forums. Over the years it is very hard not to feel the sense of entitlement and thinking that this is your little piece of the world and newbies need to "pay your dues", shut up, read the history, and pay homage to the people who have been around a while. I am currently a part of a community that has done a poor job of that and our little home is dying because there are less and less people coming around and no newbs to join because we Old Guys were ass holes and ran them off.

That is one of the big things that i like around here. Of all the forums that i have joined in my quest to learn about cigars, this one is by far the most welcoming. Every other one i have joined either hasn't been around long enough to have that sense, or is too full of the type of members that run off newbies or make the newbies jump through hoops to really be a part of the forum.

Its not just about the bombing, which is really awesome welcome and makes people want to stick around, but also the invites to conversation and to be a sibling of the leaf in other ways. The invites to poker, the way the newbie trade thread is ran, the way newbies are welcomed into the various games that go on here, the way that newbs can jump into convo without their opinions being glossed over or ignored, and the fact that many of you remember what it was like to be in our shoes and act accordingly.

The other nice thing is that when newbs come with stupid questions they are given gentle reminders that much of the info that newbs need is already on here, BUT with those gentle reminders comes the info that you are looking for. Not a "search is your friend" comment, but rather free flowing info to those in need. That is greatly appreciated.

In closing those of you who are the Old Guys around here have created a wonderful community and really deserve a pat on the back. Those Old Guys who left, you guys are the ones that are missing out. There is a place for you and I for one would love for you to come back and share your knowledge with us newbs.
    . Well said ^
  • Options
    Glock1975:
    brianetz1:

. Well said ^
    So says Ray the Vet!
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Glock1975:
    brianetz1:

. Well said ^
    So says Ray the Vet!
    No vet here bro, just saying.
  • Options
    Hey Ray..when you're right, you're right.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Ken Light:
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Let's clear some air, and here's my perspective on all that has happened. Three or so years ago there were some great guys that posted here and this place was amazing for a while, but eventually the little secret gets out and the place gets crowded. A subset of those fantastic BOTLs got uncomfortable with changes that were going to happen naturally when the place grew and expanded. There were growing pains, and with that came lots of drama, and eventually some guys who preferred a smaller fish tank found that smaller fish tank to swim around in and enjoy. Now that they've left, those of us that were comfortable in the larger tank are settling in and now there are two great places to hang out. To each his own, or both, whatever the case may be. Love and respect all around. Or at least I hope that's where this ends because anything else would be too upsetting.
    That's a pretty good insight.

I don't know what all the drama was about, or the particulars regarding why some of the longstanding members left, but this forum has changed. I only hope that I wasn't part of the reason people left.

There are very few social associations of human beings that do not change, and often, when change happens it is because of some discontent. Nobody is perfect, and people often will rub others the wrong way. Personally I always find it a bit sad when things like that happen, because some top notch people picked up and left; but I've never been able to figure out how to prevent things like that from happening.

The only thing to do now is to try and make this forum as good as we can possibly make it. I hope this statement wasn't out of line, because I wish things had not gone the way they did, but they did, and now I think we ought to try and make the best of it.

Very much how I feel.

I've really enjoyed this place ever since I found it. Very few people I know enjoy cigars, I was the "expert", having smoked for decades, and I learned more in the first few hours I spent here than I'd known before. Great!

I've been involved in a few rather heated discussions, I get interested in social issues and politics, and if you can't take the heat in that arena, better stay home. At the end of the day, even some of the folks that I've had the most heated discussions/disputes with, I can still talk cigars. Wonderful!

I've only ever been on one other forum, recently, and was pleased to see some of the folks who no longer post here, as well as many who, like myself, have posted at both places. Like JDH, I really don't know a lot of the particulars of why some left. I do know some of it, and did send PM's to some of the BOTL asking them to reconsider and come back. All you can do is all you can do.

I see no point in a total-segregation mindset. I like Chinese food, and eat at many different places. If the food quality isn't good, I don't go back, but each place has it's own flavor. I like the variety. Same with cigars. I like: Maduro's, Connecticuts, Rosado wrappers, Camaroons, etc.

One of the things I've appreciated most here, is the variety of people who enjoy cigars, and the exchange of ideas that occurs when people of various backgrounds and tastes converse. A lot of very astute people here.

One of my favorite philosophical works is Hegel's "The Philosophie of History" Hegel asserts that spirit arises with the clash of cultures. Something new is born and grows and matures and flourishes, until the powers that be codify and dogmatize it and demand that it never change. This is the death of spirit.

May the spirit here live on!
    Thanks to all.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    catfishbluezz:
    I find it rather interesting that the ones whom complained or left now need moderation to coexist... I haven't had a bad experience here since seagar left or the others. I had one within a week at UH...fitting. Nothing against Mike who rules, but I won't be spending much time over there with the Ego and Entitlement crew, they need moderators for a reason.

As a member of both forums(I would fall under whom complained), could you please provide specific examples of my behavior that demonstrates this?
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    catfishbluezz:
    I find it rather interesting that the ones whom complained or left now need moderation to coexist... I haven't had a bad experience here since seagar left or the others. I had one within a week at UH...fitting. Nothing against Mike who rules, but I won't be spending much time over there with the Ego and Entitlement crew, they need moderators for a reason.

As a member of both forums(I would fall under whom complained), could you please provide specific examples of my behavior that demonstrates this?

I would think that might best be handled through PM rather than the open forum.

I can only speak for myself and have only been here a little under a year, so take this for what it is. I really like this place. There has been very little drama, other than the whole seagar thing, while I've been here. I also choose to stay out of the political threads downstairs, which might skew my view a little. I have experienced nothing but kindness and generosity while here. Sure I don't like some things, or am annoyed by some things, but I simply ignore them and don't post a comment. It's pretty simple really. I like to use the 5 step program when posting.
    1. Does my post add worthwhile content to the forum?
    2. Is the post clear and easily understandable? (spelling an grammar optional)
    3. Might this be offensive to anyone?
    4. Is this personal and should it be a PM?
    5. Am I drunk? If yes, start over at number 1.

As for people leaving, this is an online forum. People will come and go, that is a fact. I don't take offense to it, nor should anyone else. Some will be missed dearly and some will not. I think we could all stand to take a deep breath and consider what we're doing here. I personally have pretty thick skin and don't take offense to things very easily. I understand that some do not, and that is fine. Keep calm and carry on. Also, remember to spay and neuter your cats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    pelirrojo:
    james40:
    catfishbluezz:

I'm sure you do but if my reputation is going to be publicly trashed, then it's going to be publicly defended.
  • Options
    james40:
    pelirrojo:
    james40:
    catfishbluezz:

I'm sure you do but if my reputation is going to be publicly trashed, then it's going to be publicly defended.

Funny, I didn't see your name mentioned anywhere.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    james40:
    pelirrojo:
    james40:
    catfishbluezz:

While this type of thing is probably best handled by PM, in this case a PM will do no good. How do I know that? Because I also PM him about those comments and got no response.

Apparently it was intended as more of a "run by smear campaign". Funny considering the contents of his post. I guess it's a case of "Do as I say... not as I do". Never mind James...LMAO apparently there's a new sherriff in town now.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    james40:
    catfishbluezz:

I can only speak for myself and have only been here a little under a year, so take this for what it is. I really like this place. There has been very little drama, other than the whole seagar thing, while I've been here. I also choose to stay out of the political threads downstairs, which might skew my view a little. I have experienced nothing but kindness and generosity while here. Sure I don't like some things, or am annoyed by some things, but I simply ignore them and don't post a comment. It's pretty simple really. I like to use the 5 step program when posting.

As for people leaving, this is an online forum. People will come and go, that is a fact. I don't take offense to it, nor should anyone else. Some will be missed dearly and some will not. I think we could all stand to take a deep breath and consider what we're doing here. I personally have pretty thick skin and don't take offense to things very easily. I understand that some do not, and that is fine. Keep calm and carry on. Also, remember to spay and neuter your cats.
    Bwahahahaha, thanks for this. Made me crack up. Also, made me erase, retype, and erase again my thoughts. Smoke up and have fun folks!
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    wow there are some seriously bitter people about a message board.....
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    james40:
    pelirrojo:
    james40:
    catfishbluezz:

Funny, I didn't see your name mentioned anywhere.
    DEWD, I didn't see any names anywhere yet this whole thing started without so much as a name being mentioned. Those comments placed into this discussion paints a WHOLE lot of people with the same brush. I haven't gone anywhere in the ensuing time and things haven't changed around here one bit. Except for the fact that a few guy's with a couple thousand post counts feel like the new law in town. ROFLMAO... I do believe that is what they always *** about when talking about some BOTL who have left. (Shaking head)
  • Options
    I agree for the most part laker, but I don't see anyone "playing sheriff." I think people are just pissy this time of year. It's almost spring and we'll all be outside smoking in the sunshine soon. Additionally, this is a pretty good example of why you shouldn't bump 3 year old posts.
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    I agree for the most part laker, but I don't see anyone "playing sheriff." I think people are just pissy this time of year. It's almost spring and we'll all be outside smoking in the sunshine soon. Additionally, this is a pretty good example of why you shouldn't bump 3 year old posts.
    Now that I can agree with !
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'm just gonna hop into the ol' ROFLcopter and be on my way...

c'mon, guys...this is trivial at this point and no one's naming any names.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    One of the things I have always loved about our little slice of heaven here at the Cigar.com forum is the great quality of people that come through it. I also love how you guys always seem to have our back when the occasional troll comes around with no other purpose than to disrupt our community. You guys truly protect this place and for that I am grateful. Sadly, I see more and more of these folks coming around every week, visiting for the sole purpose of acting like total jackasses and trying to issue spoiler after spoiler with a holier than thou attitude. Not once have I really I ever seen any of long standing regulars refer to someone as "noob" or go out of their way to exclude people from the forum or participating. You guys really are the reason I do what I do. I tell people all the time that "cigar people really are the most generous and gracious people in the world" and I think that gets exemplified here in our forum more than anywhere else. God bless and thank you for your business, for your loyalty and for being all around standup folks.
    And the quality people like yourself (and everyone that works and ccom) are why Cigar.com will always be my number one go-to place for cigars and for chatting about our hobby. Thank you, Alex. I have had nothing but absolutely the best experiences with ccom.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    james40:
    catfishbluezz:

6. Does my comment resemble this '+1' ? or any variation of this...esp after it has been done 2-3 times before me by people who seem to like to run up their post counts so they can be perceived as having more value.
    7. Have i actually read what the person was trying to say, realized which folder it was in, thought about their evidence to support their idea BEFORE i judged the merit of their ideas by looking @ things like 'post counts', date of joining, etc.?
    8. Does my post add worthwhile content to the forum?
    9. Have i honestly answered 1 & 8? If others less biased than myself MIGHT answer 'no'...then just mumble your thoughts to yourself, but dont post them.

I agree with Alex's original thoughts when he posted his original letter. Things change, good people come and go for a variety of reasons, most of which we never know...but perhaps just be nice to people. I am not really sure of any benefits of fighting with an online 'stranger,' agree to disagree, but unless it is in the NON-CIGAR area..let it go.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really guys? This is still going on?