Home Cigar 101
Options

Biggest Letdown

Comments

• Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I was let down when San Migel was dropped by AJ I thought that was a good medium blend. I think the biggest let down I had was with CAO OSA SOL, it just wasn't as good as I expected. Another stick that was just horrible was the Mark Twain churchill, I got through about 2 inches and had to toss it, it was acrid, and just nasty.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    My biggest let down has been any ISOM that I have tried. Admittedly I've only had 5 but I always expected more out of them.
    never walk into a cigar expecting things.

the biggest letdown for me has been Padron 1926. there is so much hype, and so many people that swear by them and then once lit up there wasnt anything special about the initial flavor and the aftertaste was longer and spicier and not as well refined as i had hoped. a cigar with such a reputation should be at least a good version of not my taste. i have smoked plenty of cigars that were not my taste but i can see why others love them (Davidoff Gran Cru, Tatuaje Cojonu 2009, 5 vegas Miami) but i dont get why this line gets the praise it does.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    TONS of sticks for me....but ones that actually cost a price worth saying d@mnit about would be...Ashton ESG, Davidoff (pretty much any but their maduro), Greycliff Grand Cru, Avo La Trompeta, Pinolero, RP 15th Anniversary, Tat Conoju, La Aurora Preferido Red and Gold Tubo, and Liga Privada #9 and T52
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Rhamlin:
    My biggest let down has been any ISOM that I have tried. Admittedly I've only had 5 but I always expected more out of them.
    Which ones did you have? Are you 100% sure they were authentic?
    Monte Cristo's and yeah I'm pretty sure they were real. A friend picked them up in Jamaica from a cigar shop that was inside a 5 star hotel lobby. I mean they were good but not great. And a couple had horrible burn issues that just totally ruined it for me.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Rhamlin:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Rhamlin:
    Monte Cristo's and yeah I'm pretty sure they were real. A friend picked them up in Jamaica from a cigar shop that was inside a 5 star hotel lobby. I mean they were good but not great. And a couple had horrible burn issues that just totally ruined it for me.
    I have had a couple with some burn issues, CCs seems more suspect than NCs to do that if they aren't rested for a few years to help balance them out. I haven't had many Monte #2s, but the 2 I had were really good, one was an 07 and the other an 09.
  • Options
    puffmasterpuffmaster Posts: 254 ✭✭
    Viaje Friends and family 2012 and also agree that the padron 26 is over rated.

#DE4L #StillPuffin

• Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Rhamlin:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Rhamlin:
    Ricky, my friend... If you are being serious, that pretty much means they were not real. There isn't an LCDH in Jamaica and from my own experience I don't believe any real cc's can be found there. I purchased from a 5 star hotel in Jamaica and they were most definitely not real.
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    San Lotano Oval just didn't cut it for me.....
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Most things RP... excluding, of all things, the Connecticut.
    Almost every Tat... they have this harshness to them that doesn't fit my palate.

I'm sure there's more but I can't recall.

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smoked an rp decade i had been sitting on for a while.had high expectations for it.was dissapointed.wasnt bad just not what i was hoping for
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    I was let down when San Migel was dropped by AJ
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    +1

(FWIW - I remember reading somewhere that it was dropped because of a dispute with the name. Supposedly Gurkha had a trademark/copyright on that name prior to AJ releasing it.)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Most things RP... excluding, of all things, the Connecticut.
    Almost every Tat... they have this harshness to them that doesn't fit my palate.

I'm sure there's more but I can't recall.

A big +1 on the Tat's
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Tatuajue Havana; was expecting more
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    this national championship game
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I will also add the davidoff maduro toro...not at all why I though it would be!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    GoF maduro. why did I buy a box?!
  • Options
    jliu:
    Lmao any chance it will age well????? I got a few of them resting
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    it better freakin age well. ok, I actually think it might. we'll see. if it doesn't i'll smoke it when I'm buzzed haha
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    that suxs jun. cause i also got a box cause the deal was to good. but if they suck the deal wasn't so good after all
  • Options
    jliu:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    it better freakin age well. ok, I actually think it might. we'll see. if it doesn't i'll smoke it when I'm buzzed haha
    Lol yup then follow with a padron!!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    jliu:
    So that when I come steal your coolers like a ninja in the night I can have them muahahahahahaha
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    Gran Habano Vintage 2002: Bought 20 of these on a whim. Quite mediocre. Trying to get rid of 'em.

Robusto or churchill? If robusto, I would be interested in taking a few off your hands. Shoot me a PM and let me know if you're interested in a trade and what you might be interested in.

I must admit I've been on a bit of a smoking hiatus and would need to take an inventory on what I have available, but I definitely have a pretty decent assortment of sticks, particularly in the budget-premium range like the GH2002.
  • Options
    ENFIDL:
    jliu:
    So that when I come steal your coolers like a ninja in the night I can have them muahahahahahaha
    Oh no need. I have your addy now. Ill send them to you
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed the CAO Gold. The CAO Gold Maduro was not good at all. I was pretty let down to say the least.
  • Options
    jgibv:
    ShotgunJohn:
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    +1

(FWIW - I remember reading somewhere that it was dropped because of a dispute with the name. Supposedly Gurkha had a trademark/copyright on that name prior to AJ releasing it.)
    BUMP

Just spotted on another site, rebranded as "Gurkha San Miguel" --- cigar and bands look exact same as before.

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    jgibv:
    ShotgunJohn:
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    +1

BUMP

Just spotted on another site, rebranded as "Gurkha San Miguel" --- cigar and bands look exact same as before.
    Found this as well. Don't know if it's just ad hype or reality, but the video implied this might be a limited release.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    jgibv:
    jgibv:
    ShotgunJohn:
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    +1

BUMP

Found this as well. Don't know if it's just ad hype or reality, but the video implied this might be a limited release.
    FWIW:
    These were originally blended and released by AJ back in 2010 (? I think). But in early 2012 they were "discontinued" and listed as "sold out" on all the retailer's websites. And from what I remember, nobody officially seemed to know why.
    But about that time, I remember reading somewhere (not sure if it was an official article or just speculation on a forum) that there was supposedly a trademark/copyright dispute with Gurkha over the name "San Miguel". Something like Gurkha owned the name first and they weren't too pleased about AJ using it....

Now, I'm just speculating on this next part, about them being limited release.....

But seeing as they're rebranded as Gurkha San Miguel, I'd guess the trademark/copyright issue was true, and there was still inventory but it couldn't be sold due to the naming dispute.
    Therefore I'd assume that original naming dispute has since been resolved since they're for sale again.
    The wrapper and bands on these look absolutely identical to the "original" San Miguel's made by AJ. The only difference I can tell is the Gurkha name thrown on front in the ad.

So as far as limited release....IDK, if this was extra inventory, then perhaps once it's gone, it's gone for good?
    Or maybe, if Gurkha now owns the name - it will no longer be blended by AJ. And Gurkha's going to re-do the blend and re-release it as a different San Miguel?
    Your guess is as good as mine as to why these are limited ...
    But I guess with them being rebranded as Gurkha, I'm not going to hold my breath and expect the blend to stay the same for long, ya know?

(And sorry for completely hijacking your thread, Rain. I'll *try to* shut up about San Miguel now)

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Cuban Cigars. I really don't know what I expected but, when I had my first real cuban I was "Let Down". Not that it was bad or anything. I think I just expected it to blow me away. I guess I expected it to be the best cigar I ever had (the forbidden fruit thing). It wasn't.
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    For me it would have to be a AF Hemingway Short Story. I had a Hemingway of a different size a couple of years ago at a B&M that I sat down at. I really like smaller ring or gauge sticks and I loved reading about the short story. All of the great reviews it got. I just had to try one. I finally got one from one of the great BOTL's here and lite it up a month or so ago. Boy was I bummed. I lost my notes on it but it was nowhere as good as I thought it would be. Actually it wasn't good at all. I might go out and get another one one of these days, but I got plenty to keep me busy from my secret santa (thanks kuzi) for now.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    jliu:
    ENFIDL:
    jliu:
    Oh no need. I have your addy now. Ill send them to you
    In the words of the late great colonel sanders I'm too drunk to taste this chicken