Home Cigar 101

Do I really need a humidor?

fsufanfsufan Posts: 6
I smoke maybe 1-2 cigars a week, I mostly buy them from a local shop in one of the three towns I visit regularly. At this time I don't store any for log periods I just keep them in the ziplock bag until I smoke them. I really can't see the expense of one at least until I smoke more. Am I wrong? Ed

Comments

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    If you're buying one to two per week, and smoking them within a week or to, I'd use some tupperware with a humi-pillow. You can buy the pillows normally $10 for a ten pack. I never bothered with a humidor for the same reasons you mention until I started buying boxes and large samplers. I now keep approx 50 at all times, but I am letting them age now as well.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    well, I have 2, one I have for my infused gurkhas and the other is a 300 count which is filled too. The rest including my boxes I have in plastic tubs. I threw in some humi packs in there and things seem to be fine. Though when I get a cabinet I'll be sure to let them rest for a while.
  • fsufanfsufan Posts: 6
    I was thinking of trying tupperware or something like that. I generally buy 1 or 2 and smoke on the weekend with maybe one during the week. When we have a get together I buy a few for my brother and BIL. I will buy some water pillows and see how that works out. I found Boveda on line and that looks like a good option a they say they last a coupe of months. Ed
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    My boveda packs are averaging about 3 months. They are a great, no hassle, kind of deal.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I would recommend getting a humidor for the simply purpose that if you continue smoking it will be cheaper. You are buying singles for a couple bucks a piece every week. You can buy one sampler that appeals to you and bring the price of each stick down considerably. This is one of the main reasons I bought a humidor. After I bought it I bought a box of my favorite cigar, a huge RP sampler, and now another sampler. This way each stick never really costs me over $3.....and I am smoking ones that can cost upwards of $8 or $9. Over time this really adds up. Heck, I have 3 $20 sticks that only cost me $2 each when I bought them in a sampler!!! It's worth the investment. And PM sent....
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Why should you get a humidor? If for nothing more than the pleasure of lifting the lid, perusing your treasures and choosing one to enjoy the evening with. Much more satisfying than unzipping the baggie. The savings in buying your sticks in larger samplers and such will quickly offset the cost. If I stopped buying sticks right now (yeah, like that could happen) I could go a year (OK, three) before running out.
  • kevster77kevster77 Posts: 68
    i too only smoke about 2 a week, I got a 20 count this way I don't have to keep going back and forth to the smoke shop every other week.
  • fsufanfsufan Posts: 6
    Ok, so maybe I do need a humidor. But do I need a spanish cedar lined wooden or can I get by with a tupperware type? Are there any real advantages to a wooden one over a tupperware type. I can see the advantages of having a supply of good smokes. My work is sorta of a traveling "maytag repairman" with the use if a company car. I live in the country but am in town regularly so there are no special trips to the smoke shop. Let me know what you guys think. Ed
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i like the way a wood one looks personally. but tupperware will do the job. so will a brand new cooler.
  • WafflebobWafflebob Posts: 118
    I still mostly just buy a cigar or two and smoke them within a few days but I got a small humi for Christmas so I could occasionally nab one of the good deals ccom has and store them for a while.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    zoom6zoom:
    Why should you get a humidor? If for nothing more than the pleasure of lifting the lid, perusing your treasures and choosing one to enjoy the evening with. Much more satisfying than unzipping the baggie. The savings in buying your sticks in larger samplers and such will quickly offset the cost. If I stopped buying sticks right now (yeah, like that could happen) I could go a year (OK, three) before running out.

Exactly the reason I dont get one. If I had a nice humi filled with great sticky I would smoke way more than I already do. Plus the temptaion to buy more would be to much to handle. By using a water pillow and zip lock I stick to my budget. I would love to have one someday though.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316

I recently had a friend give me a nice humidor.  Now I’m addicted to perusing the deals on this web site and waiting for my packages to arrive, thanks… I guess.  I have to say it’s been quite enjoyable.  To date my favorites have been the Cusano 18 and the Gurkha Turk.  I was surprised last night when I liked the blue label from the cigar variety pack.

The one thing I wonder about the cigars you are getting from your cigar shops is if they are from properly functioning humidors?  Proper storage really does make a big difference.