Home Ratings & Reviews

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent!
    This is one cigar that has piqued my interest.
    I've seen one or two in Portland, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger on them.
    Gonna take a more serious look. May get one to rest for a bit to try.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious Rip, are picking these up online, local B & M's or through a private party? The reason I ask is, I've done most purchasing through the Internet because my B & M connections are sparse and weak. Where as Lee has access to stuff I don't think I'd ever see at any store close to me. Thanks for the great review!!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific movie, interesting cigar.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tony. I can gurentee you this that you will not be disappointed. This is an excellent smoke. In fact, on of the top five 2012 release. I am very surprised with the overall top class performance.
    0patience:
    Excellent!
    This is one cigar that has piqued my interest.
    I've seen one or two in Portland, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger on them.
    Gonna take a more serious look. May get one to rest for a bit to try.
    Thanks Jim for your kind words. Dustin sent me this cigar. You cannot buy this on-line because this cigar is strictly for few B&M sells only. Sorry I only got one and now Dustin have to get more for me LOL. He spoiled me forever.
    Bigshizza:
    I'm curious Rip, are picking these up online, local B & M's or through a private party? The reason I ask is, I've done most purchasing through the Internet because my B & M connections are sparse and weak. Where as Lee has access to stuff I don't think I'd ever see at any store close to me. Thanks for the great review!!
    Daniel this is truly a very good smoke. Please do not miss to smoke one if you find in your B&M. Please make sure that you have a full stomach. It has some powerful kick.
    danielzreyes:
    Terrific movie, interesting cigar.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Here are my notes:
    First third: Draw is excellent and upon lighting the cigar you are immediately met with full flavors of light roasted coffee. I pictured lightly roasted beans of a caramel type color in my head as I got into the first third, something of a breakfast blend. A dark heavy nut flavor was introduced quickly, with light cream, and a strong spice on the retrohale, but not pepper. In my opinion I would liken the spice to nutmeg or cinnamon. The finish is incredibly smooth being light on the tip of the tongue, and leaving the back of the tongue salivating on the tasting notes. I would say the body is medium in profile at this point with the majority of the finish on the back of the tongue. The Don specifically stated he wanted a cigar that came out with plenty of flavor up front and the Inception delivers.

Second third: I found the cigar to smooth out in the second third with a very light finish. The flavor profile stayed the same, but less pronounced and the finish is what I enjoyed. Nothing was over powering, and I began to notice a marked sweetness similar to a dark honey. The spice at this point became a pronounced cinnamon note on the tongue. Honestly, I was enjoying the smoke at this point and very impressed so I was more concerned with enjoying the smooth creamy finish instead of identifying flavors.

Final Third: The flavor profile was retained through the final third, but the cigar took an odd turn in my book. As most Nicaraguan cigars pick up steam, this one mellowed and the signature flavors took over in a very smooth format. The cream and cinnamon stood out, yet the cigar never got stronger, never got bitter, no tar, and I was surprised at how creamy it became. To me, the smoothness of the final third was the opposite of what I’ve experienced with most cigars and I cannot think of many that do this off the top of my head. I burned my fingers on the nub…..

I really want to review this again, simply to take teh time and sit down with it. When I did this review, I was at a private tasting that the Don setup and invited me to so I could take notes and give the owner of teh B&M my thoughts on the blend. Obviously I liked it, the owner got 5 boxes of each size, adn sold all of them out. He got 5 more of each and is plowing through them. I am not sure if the one I sent you was from a new or old box hoenstly. He is the first store getting the Reagan too, as the owner of EZ likes the owner of my shop. He is the kind of B&M owner that has a passion like us, and the reps know it and send him stuff accordingly. I honetsly think given the filler and double binder, this cigar would absolutely shine with 2-3 years aging. I always tell people to check it out if they get a chance, and to do so on a clean palette as the finish is ridiculously clean. This is the type of medium cigar I would explain the profile as delicate.

BTW Rip, check out the L'Atelier LAT54 when you get a chance. It blew my mind recently, and had a marked note of Tea that I think you would freak out over. Solid cheaper smoke from Pete Johnson.
    Thanks for sharing your notes Dustin. It is extremely smooth, buttery and round.
    catfishbluezz:
    Here are my notes:
    First third: Draw is excellent and upon lighting the cigar you are immediately met with full flavors of light roasted coffee. I pictured lightly roasted beans of a caramel type color in my head as I got into the first third, something of a breakfast blend. A dark heavy nut flavor was introduced quickly, with light cream, and a strong spice on the retrohale, but not pepper. In my opinion I would liken the spice to nutmeg or cinnamon. The finish is incredibly smooth being light on the tip of the tongue, and leaving the back of the tongue salivating on the tasting notes. I would say the body is medium in profile at this point with the majority of the finish on the back of the tongue. The Don specifically stated he wanted a cigar that came out with plenty of flavor up front and the Inception delivers.

Second third: I found the cigar to smooth out in the second third with a very light finish. The flavor profile stayed the same, but less pronounced and the finish is what I enjoyed. Nothing was over powering, and I began to notice a marked sweetness similar to a dark honey. The spice at this point became a pronounced cinnamon note on the tongue. Honestly, I was enjoying the smoke at this point and very impressed so I was more concerned with enjoying the smooth creamy finish instead of identifying flavors.

Final Third: The flavor profile was retained through the final third, but the cigar took an odd turn in my book. As most Nicaraguan cigars pick up steam, this one mellowed and the signature flavors took over in a very smooth format. The cream and cinnamon stood out, yet the cigar never got stronger, never got bitter, no tar, and I was surprised at how creamy it became. To me, the smoothness of the final third was the opposite of what I’ve experienced with most cigars and I cannot think of many that do this off the top of my head. I burned my fingers on the nub…..

I completely agree with you on aging potential. It has a good amount of ligeros.

I haven't smoke the L'Atelier yet. I like tea note in a cigar, that's why I love La Palina 1986 and Little Bill. I heard it is a very aromatic cigar.
    catfishbluezz:
    I really want to review this again, simply to take teh time and sit down with it. When I did this review, I was at a private tasting that the Don setup and invited me to so I could take notes and give the owner of teh B&M my thoughts on the blend. Obviously I liked it, the owner got 5 boxes of each size, adn sold all of them out. He got 5 more of each and is plowing through them. I am not sure if the one I sent you was from a new or old box hoenstly. He is the first store getting the Reagan too, as the owner of EZ likes the owner of my shop. He is the kind of B&M owner that has a passion like us, and the reps know it and send him stuff accordingly. I honetsly think given the filler and double binder, this cigar would absolutely shine with 2-3 years aging. I always tell people to check it out if they get a chance, and to do so on a clean palette as the finish is ridiculously clean. This is the type of medium cigar I would explain the profile as delicate.

BTW Rip, check out the L'Atelier LAT54 when you get a chance. It blew my mind recently, and had a marked note of Tea that I think you would freak out over. Solid cheaper smoke from Pete Johnson.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the review rip!! You always make these dang sticks sound so good!! Ill keep my eye out for them but for my wallets sake can't you review a nasty stick lol
    Money can't buy taste
    You are welcome Lee. This is indeed a great smoke for the Nicaraguan cigar lover, specially who enjoy special Vijae or Padron lone. If you can provide me a name of the nasty(?) smoke, I will review it for you LOL. When I get a box I will be glad to share one with you. On a side note, I just discovered another great smoke. I will post the review shortly.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Thanks for the review rip!! You always make these dang sticks sound so good!! Ill keep my eye out for them but for my wallets sake can't you review a nasty stick lol
    Zino's Crown series is an expensive cigar. Initially, the target group was the successful professional and also the upcoming younger jetsetter who enjoy urban lifestyle and also looking for high life with moderate price. The second group simply didn't find the Crown series price very wallet friendly. So Zino came up with the Z class, four sizes (Toro, Pyramid, corona and robusto) with moderate price line. However, the blend remains medium-full bodied for both Crown and Z class. This cigar was also designed mainly for the US market. In celebration of the ten-year anniversary of Zino Platinum, the brand has produced a premium collector’s edition set of four custom boxes in collaboration with urban artists UR New York. Dubbed “The Make”, this collector’s edition celebrates the self-made man and his success, as well as ten years of redefining cigars and a new generation of cigar smokers.
    Photobucket
    Zino Platinum, an ultra-premium cigar brand, introduces the new ZP Ten New York Collector’s?Edition featuring urban art by URNY and Zino Platinum Ten Salomones.?In commemoration of the tenth anniversary, Zino Platinum has unveiled two limited editions, both accented by a brand new blue and black band and unique packaging. The?ZP Ten New York Collector’s Edition, a toro especial, weighs in at 5 ½” x 60. Featuring a Nicaraguan Rosada wrapper, Dominican Piloto binder and Dominican and Peruvian filler tobaccos, the Toro is a full-bodied cigar. Available in a 10-count box, the Collector’s Edition boxes feature four custom graffiti-inspired pieces created by UR New York, an urban artist collective who have redefined themselves and the landscape that surrounds them. Limited to 500 pieces each, “the artwork will adorn four different collector’s edition boxes,” said Richard Krutick, Davidoff’s head of marketing. “The collection is inspired by the innovators, the risk takers, the mavericks—those who capture the spirit of Zino Platinum.” The Collector’s Edition will be sold in a unit of 4?boxes with one of each design included.
    Photobucket
    The second format, Zino Platinum Ten Salomones, comes in at 7 ¼” x 57 and will be available in a 64-count acrylic cube featuring black matter rubberized accents. The majestic Salomones format is a spectacular indulgence for the aficionado of Nicaraguan tobaccos. The medium-to-full bodied blend experiences an addition of spices and?peppery notes through the addition of Criollo tobaccos and a share of Ligero. Small amounts of added Visus from Peru give the blend hints of sweetness. The cigar gets perfect balance through the beautiful Nicaraguan Rosada wrapper from 2004. Each 64-?count box will be custom engraved with the name of the retail location it is purchased by. With only 340 boxes available globally and 200 in the United States, the Salomones?is even more limited in nature than the Toro. The ZP Ten New York Collector’s Edition Toro will retail at $18 per cigar and begin shipping August 28, 2012. The Zino Platinum Ten Salomones will follow the Toro in early September, which will retail at $29.50 per cigar.[Source: Zino Press Release and my personal conversation with one of Davidoff’s marketing executive]
    Photobucket
    It is a massive extra Robusto size with 60 ring gauge cigar. The wrapper is beautiful reddish brown, few veins, slightly toothy. It has woody, hay and earthy scent at the foot. The cold draw has a wonderful sweet cocoa, slight fruity note. It is a heavy cigar and feels good in hand. The draw, burn and construction are perfect as any other Davidoff cigar. It is extremely complex, balanced with long finish. The smoke is buttery, creamy, round, mouthful with delicate smoothness. The flavor profile is a combination of wood (oak), earth, spice (75%white/25%black), mild leather, cocoa, sweet cafe latte, coffee, cinnamon, cardamom, cocoa flavors with delicate but crispy and sharp sweet-peppery aroma and fruity note with brown sugar kind of sweetness.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Rosada

Binder: Dominican Piloto

Filler: Dominican Criollo Visus, Piloto Ligero, San Vicente Visus, Pelo de Oro Visus
    Photobucket
    1/3: It opens with wood (oak), damp earth, cocoa powder flavors with mild leathery aroma at the back. There is also a hint of aromatic cardamom and brown sugary sweetness. It is completely smooth without any harshness. It is already buttery, creamy, round and mouthful in texture. There is also a very delicate mix of white & black peppery finish. This is a great start-wow! The top of my tongue has a delicate touch of white/ black pepper spiciness, the middle of my tongue is filled with creamy and round texture with above flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue is clean. The strength is straight medium but very soft and delicate. It has the clear Henke Kelner touch with complete Davidoff characteristics. I can feel the softness of San Vicente that is a sub group of bold Piloto tobacco. However, I am not feeling the as usual acidic note of San Vicente tobacco. It has more Pelo de Oro sweetness from the start. This is a reason why I respect Henke so much. He is not only a blender but also a magician. I am retrohaling from the first puff and enjoying the crispy and sharp spiciness through the nose. As I mentioned earlier that the spiciness is almost (white 75%/black25%) which is easy to inhale but does not hurt the nose tunnel. I am already in love with it.
    Photobucket
    2/3: it starts with a nice complexity at this stage with more distinctive sweet earth, sweet cafe latte, aromatic cinnamon-cardamom flavors with thick cocoa powder and nutty(cashew nut) notes at the back. After each puff, the brown sugar sweetness hit the spot right away. The balanced sweet-spiciness of this cigar is more than any Davidoff I have ever smoked. There is also a pleasant Cuban like mild fruity aroma after each puff. It deserves additional points for its complexity at this stage. This is interesting because usually cigars pick more strength at 2/3 marks. The other interesting thing is though it is medium bodied but the strength toned down a little compares to 1/3 stage. The lighter strength is helping me to enjoy the layers and layers of new flavors and aroma. This is why I love medium bodied cigar. The smoke is completely buttery and melting in my mouth with a sweet dry finish. The top of my tongue has a delicate zing of white peppery spiciness, the middle of my tongue is filled with creamy, buttery, round texture with above flavors and aroma, the side of my tongue has a nutty finish and the back of my tongue has a sweet-super mild tobacco bitterness. The white-black peppery crispy spiciness through the nose is unbelievably enjoyable-wow! My entire mouth has a silky layer with soft surface. This is the first time I took a sip of iced water because I really didn't want to clean my palate. Apparently, I found a new love in my life.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage the body is picking up more strength to medium with more spicy black peppery and sweet earthy, aromatic cinnamon, medium coffee flavors. The woodiness, cardamom, cafe latte flavor, white peppery finishes are at the back. I am detecting a mild saltiness at the finish. It is coming from the San Vicente tobacco. At the same time brown sugar sweetness with mild Cuban like fruitiness is still there. This is extremely a very complex cigar and gains additional points again. Until now the draw and burn is perfect. I am feeling a layer of buttery cocoa flavor right the middle of my tongue. The entire flavors and aroma profile is locked within a creamy shield. The top of my tongue has a soft sweet-spiciness, the middle of my tongue is completely covered with a blanket of creamy and round texture with above flavors and aroma, the side of my tongue has the thick nuttiness, the back of my tongue has the sweet tobacco finish. The bitterness is gone. This is one of the best Davidoff cigars not only in Zino line but the entire Davidoff line. Henke Kelner did it one more time. I am not only retrohaling but also literally inhaling some smoke because it is so smooth without any sign of harshness. It definitely has aged tobacco Otherwise it is not possible to make such a smooth cigar. I am simply lost.

Final thought: Again, I do not hesitate to say that this is one of the best cigars in the entire Davidoff cigar line. This cigar does not require any aging because with aging it might loose the crispy and sharpness of the smoke. This cigar was blended to smoke right now. At the same time, some aging will mellow down the black peppery spiciness that can also make it more subtle and delicate smoke. I believe that I have to wait and see after six months. It is a very limited production and I am glad to purchase an entire box. This cigar will be more enjoyable in Salomones shape because I can already imagine that. This smoke is for them who enjoy delicate, relaxing smoking with layers and layers of flavors and aroma. The regular Z class cigar is a very good smoke but not as good as this. It does lives up to its hype and the price is justifiable. I am also getting the nicotine buzz at the end. Overall, a fantastic smoke and need to be smoked at least once in a lifetime...period. I highly recommend this cigar without any reservation.
    Photobucket
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    What I love about Rip's reviews is that he always finds drop dead georgeous, exotic, classy cigars that most guys have no experience with and manages to bring them to life. It's kind of like Playboy Magazine; he reveals all the places that you'd just love to be with finesse and style.

Many thanks Rip!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See Rip, you smoking "Beautiful Women" is not a joke. It's a true story lol.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Yes, Rip makes smoking sexy!
    Thanks Daniel...I am lucky the world is full of beautiful woman(cigars).
    danielzreyes:
    See Rip, you smoking "Beautiful Women" is not a joke. It's a true story lol.
    Thanks Rick...I appreciate your kind words.
    beatnic:
    Yes, Rip makes smoking sexy!
    Wow...that's a wonderful compliment. I sincerely appreciate your kind words. I think, when passion gets involved things become more live and interesting. When I smoke a good cigar, I smoke it with open mind and my heart and soul gets involved. I never think about what the advertisement say, it comes from deep inside me. It is always between me and the cigar. The rest of the world stay aside.
    JDH:
    What I love about Rip's reviews is that he always finds drop dead georgeous, exotic, classy cigars that most guys have no experience with and manages to bring them to life. It's kind of like Playboy Magazine; he reveals all the places that you'd just love to be with finesse and style.

Many thanks Rip!

Robaina was born in Alqu
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Just truly fantastic Rip!!!
    That picture is friggin awesome... Talk about the perfect compliment to any cigar room... I love VR, cannot wait to have boxes of them over the next few years in different aging states.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Another spot-on review. The VR Unicos are always in stock at the CdLH in Kuwait. Everyone buys Cohiba's and Monte 2's. I've been partial to the Unicos and the Petit Edmundo's myself.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Loved the Unicos I had and its nice to hear what an excellent pallet like yours gets out of this stick, quite a pleasure to read, thanks Rip.
    Thanks Shawn. Thi is truly a great cigar.
    zeebra:
    Just truly fantastic Rip!!!
    It is hanging on the wall in my Man Cave. I am very proud of this picture. See if you can find a box from 2008. It is little better than other years.
    catfishbluezz:
    That picture is friggin awesome... Talk about the perfect compliment to any cigar room... I love VR, cannot wait to have boxes of them over the next few years in different aging states.
    Thanks Steve... I agree people pay more attention to Cohiba and Monti. They are very good cigars but Robina's cigars are unique. Also, Robina does not get the promotion as Cohiba or Monti. However, real smokers know about this gem.
    Steve2010:
    Another spot-on review. The VR Unicos are always in stock at the CdLH in Kuwait. Everyone buys Cohiba's and Monte 2's. I've been partial to the Unicos and the Petit Edmundo's myself.
    Your welcome....thanks for your kind words.
    chemforever:
    Loved the Unicos I had and its nice to hear what an excellent pallet like yours gets out of this stick, quite a pleasure to read, thanks Rip.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Rip I'm gonna change the subject for a minute. My friends cousin is in Nicaragua at the moment and is making some cigars with Nestor plascencia. Pretty cool if you ask me.
    That's cool. How long he is going to be in Nicaragua? If he comes to the capital Mangua let me know. Plancensia factory is in another city calls Esteli. I am not going to be in Esteli for a while. Next week I am heading to Panama and Cuba for ten days. If you attest him as a cool guy then I wouldn't mind to meet him after I return from Cuba.
    rwheelwright:
    Rip I'm gonna change the subject for a minute. My friends cousin is in Nicaragua at the moment and is making some cigars with Nestor plascencia. Pretty cool if you ask me.