Home General Discussion

Nicaragua travels to various cigar factories

jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
Hi fine gentlemen of the leaf. Big Steve and I were talking last night and we're both interested in traveling to Nicaragua to visit various cigar factories. Has anyone had personal experience in this? Tips and procedures would greatly be appreciated. Actually, if you want to join us, that'll even be more funtastic. Dates aren't set yet. Just wanted to get feedback from you guys on advice and logistics.

SNOOB

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Speak to rzaman, he lives in Nicaragua and has done a few tours.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Kuzi has done it
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Speak to rzaman, he lives in Nicaragua and has done a few tours.
    came to post this. Also kuzi has done a tour and JD from Drew Estate does a tour down there. The one kuzi did was really neat to read about.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    cool. Thanks guys. Rip and I have been PMing a little earlier about it. Rip, if you can chime in some more, that'll be awesome. Also, Professor Kuzi, please do share. domo arigato
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    jliu:
    cool. Thanks guys. Rip and I have been PMing a little earlier about it. Rip, if you can chime in some more, that'll be awesome. Also, Professor Kuzi, please do share. domo arigato
    wait a minute...you are a chinese midget living in mizzourah that eats vietnamese food, and philipino cuisine.......and now you speak japanese.....holy crap
    letsgowithbob:
    jliu:
    wait a minute...you are a chinese midget living in mizzourah that eats vietnamese food, and philipino cuisine.......and now you speak japanese.....holy crap
    Kristoff - you have no idear
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    As discussed earlier...make your plan and let me know about the tentative time line. Padron is must, Drew Estate and Plancencia are also nice. Avoid the rainy season so you can go to see some plantation. After I have an idea about the time line, I can offer you some recommendation. I am heading to Turkey and India for two months this year July-Auguest,2012. I will be in Wasington April or May,2013. You guys are definitely invited to my house for a fine dinner, drinks and many smoke. My Mancave will be happy to have you. Time permits, I might join you with a tour. We always need advance permission to move around the country so please give me advance notice so I can plan accordingly. This is a beautiful country with beautiful people. Nicaragua has more to offer than cigars - nice beaches, live volcanos, colonial cities, lakes, coffee tour much more. Plus Cuban cigars...yomen Jiang you lequ LOL
    jliu:
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    As discussed earlier...make your plan and let me know about the tentative time line. Padron is must, Drew Estate and Plancencia are also nice. Avoid the rainy season so you can go to see some plantation. After I have an idea about the time line, I can offer you some recommendation. I am heading to Turkey and India for two months this year July-Auguest,2012. I will be in Wasington April or May,2013. You guys are definitely invited to my house for a fine dinner, drinks and many smoke. My Mancave will be happy to have you. Time permits, I might join you with a tour. We always need advance permission to move around the country so please give me advance notice so I can plan accordingly. This is a beautiful country with beautiful people. Nicaragua has more to offer than cigars - nice beaches, live volcanos, colonial cities, lakes, coffee tour much more. Plus Cuban cigars...yomen Jiang you lequ LOL
    the only problem with padron is that they are relatively protective of their factory. they are not as willing to let too many people in. however, i agree that they are a must. they do things very differently than the others down there.

i saw Plasencia, Oliva, My Father, DE, AJ Fernandez, and Padron.
    the two most informative/best factories to tour were DE and Oliva.
    all the others were really good and interesting but the tour itself was well organized at those two.

anyway
    here is the link to the thread about my tour: CLICK
    rzaman:
    jliu:
    Hey Rip. Thanks so much for your advice and your insane generosity for the opportunity to herf with you. We will definitely aim towards going over there when you are available. haha sounds like a ton of fun just thinking about it. I'm going to do some more digging regarding tour dates, costs, and etc. When I come, I'll bring you some xiao long bao hahah.
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:
    the only problem with padron is that they are relatively protective of their factory. they are not as willing to let too many people in. however, i agree that they are a must. they do things very differently than the others down there.

i saw Plasencia, Oliva, My Father, DE, AJ Fernandez, and Padron.
    the two most informative/best factories to tour were DE and Oliva.
    all the others were really good and interesting but the tour itself was well organized at those two.

anyway
    here is the link to the thread about my tour: CLICK
    Hey Professor Kuzi. Will definitely take into consideration of all those factories you and your wife went to. I just checked out your travel bits and it looks awesome! It's funny you say even though you had a great time, you're happy to be back. That's how I exactly felt after my south east Asia trip. Nothing beats good olllle America (for me). At any rate, I'll continue to do some google searching and will PM you later on after I get a list of the wants and whats.