Home General Discussion

Genetic Preference

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
My Dad smoked Luckies. When he did smoke a cigar, which was rarely, he would smoke those execrable Swisher Sweets. My Grandpa smoked cigars daily. A cup of espresso, a small leather bound volume of Emerson, a corona claro, a linen suit, a wicker chair, reading on the veranda. That's how we remember Grandpa.

The smoke of choice in my yoot was pot. And, yes, Slick Willy, I did inhale; and no, it doesn't matter what your definition of is is, jackass. My yoot has long passed. Back in the day, whenever I would frequent a bar, I would buy a pack of cigarettes from the machine, because the only way to get along with the stink was to join it. Throw the pack out on the way out the door. I always liked a pipe; but there is just too much plumbing involved. Don't want to carry a suitcase full of tools and have to fumble round with them. Fine tobacco, but too much luggage.

Now, in my old age, I find myself drawn to cigars. Been testing different types for a year, trying to find what I prefer. Odd thing is, I keep gravitating toward Grandpa's cigar. Love the Factory Throwout # 59 Claro for an everyday buck a stick cigar bargain. Tried various heavier maduros, dark oily sticks, brown sticks, etc. Some are great. never go back for another. Put one down, say that was great, and reach for a #59. Have half a box of Black Markets I am savoring. But I keep zeroing in on the lighter, creamier side. Recently discovered the Alec Bradley American Classic. First smoked a toro. Fine experience; but a bit large for me. Tried the same in robusto. Fine experience. About to buy a box. Then, just for a lark, yesterday I picked up a corona of the same blend. Believe it or not, I nursed a solid hour and three quarters out of that great stick, and enjoyed every bit of it. Only thing, it began to unpeel there at the last, so I probably should have let it sit round the house for a week first, before firing up. However, now I am convinced that is the right size for me. I don't need that huge volume of smoke a 50 ring gives you. A wee trickle of mild fine tobacco, and I love to roll that light colored wrapper round on my tongue.

My point is, I keep getting steered back in the same direction: toward the cigar Grandpa smoked. Light brown or pale green smaller diameter mild.

Grandpa and I had a special bond. The two of us would sit down to discuss philosophy. Wish I had him here to share a smoke right now. Do you think that's it? Is it sentiment? Am I just smelling his linen suit in my memory?

Or is there something you can inherit in the taste buds? Did it jump the Lucky-smoking WWII generation and land on me?

How about youse guys? Any of you find yourselves smoking the same kind of blend your Dad or your Grandpa did?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my dad smokes pretty much what i give him. otherwise he smokes what most of us would call "gas station cigars" with marsh wheeling being his favorite. he will only smoke hand rolled premiums for special occasions and almost never buys them. when he does smoke the "good stuff" he tends to spicy cigars: AJ Fernandez, DPG, Oliva V and the like.
    i tend to like cigars with less spice.

it may be a propensity for tobacco but as far as flavor profile, that may be a different story.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I have multiple answers for you:

As a fellow BOTL: Don't be swayed by what is popular. Reach for the go-to as often as possible.

As a man who has lost close family: Savor that connection. Be strengthened by the knowledge that it is at your fingertips whenever you need to reach for it.

As a scientist: Look, if genetics does one thing well it's give reasons for every possible hypothesis. Genetics create your body, and taste buds are part of your body. On top of that, your experience dictates how your genes are expressed (they call that epigenetics) so even "nurture" is now "nature" to a hard-core biologist. And genes skip generations (ok, not genes, but which genes are expressed) all the time.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    "...How about youse guys? Any of you find yourselves smoking the same kind of blend your Dad or your Grandpa did? ..."

NO
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Guess I'm the oddball. Everyone else in the family smokes Marlboro...
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    kuzi16:
    my dad smokes pretty much what i give him. otherwise he smokes what most of us would call "gas station cigars" with marsh wheeling being his favorite. he will only smoke hand rolled premiums for special occasions and almost never buys them. when he does smoke the "good stuff" he tends to spicy cigars: AJ Fernandez, DPG, Oliva V and the like.
    i tend to like cigars with less spice.

it may be a propensity for tobacco but as far as flavor profile, that may be a different story.
    +1 we went to the masters and when he saw i brought some of my cigars he said he was relieved...
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    My Gramps smokes cigarettes and when he goes for a cigar, it is almost always Dutch Masters. He gets them from all of his friends since his nick name is Dutch. I have tried to share handmades, but he tells me they just don't taste good to him. Oh well he is 89 he isn't going to change now.
    I love handmades with lots of flavor and med-full body.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    My Gramps smokes cigarettes and when he goes for a cigar, it is almost always Dutch Masters. He gets them from all of his friends since his nick name is Dutch. I have tried to share handmades, but he tells me they just don't taste good to him. Oh well he is 89 he isn't going to change now.
    .. Hey John, Start calling Gramps "Opus" in front of his friends... That may work out for both of you.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Maybe not the same flavors, but smokes and whiskey go waaaay back in my family tree. Hehe.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    ShotgunJohn:
    .. Hey John, Start calling Gramps "Opus" in front of his friends... That may work out for both of you.
    Love it, that is awesome.