Home General Discussion
Options

Smoking with my dad

Not sure if this should go here or in non related but last night i got a chance to smoke with my dad. With the cold weather i really haven't been able to enjoy a stick for a little while and last night was decent temp and my dad had a fire and asked me to come over. I'm pretty new to the cigar world and i got in to it because of him. We don't get a chance too often to sit and talk much because "i'm always busy". Bad excuse, i know. I never knew how much my dad liked smoking till last night and now that i have been soaking up as much info i can and knowledge from all you guys (thank you) we had some awesome conversation last night about different cigars and what he likes. Strange to say but smoking is going to bring my dad and i closer together. Last night was awesome. I can't wait to hang with him again and enjoy conversation and good company. My birthday is saturday and he asked if i would like to go to a local b&m and get some smokes. I said hell yeah lol, then he said or do you want me to surprise you? I'm going with the surprise lol. I can't wait to see what he chooses. I'll be sure to let you guys know. Again sorry if this is in the wrong forum but i just had to tell ya'll about it!

Comments

• Options
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    Sounds like good times for sure...I often smoke with my daughters' boyfriends...Let them pick whatever they want usually...So far they have left the Opus' alone...Have smoked with my oldest son a couple of times, but he is into the electronic smokers (w/flavors)...Enjoy the time with your father...It probably means as much to him, as it does to you...
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Sounds awesome, brother! I'd love to have that opportunity with my father, but he's not a fan of cigars. I'm glad that you and your father are connecting on such a great level.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    That's really great to hear bro. It's funny how the little things in life lead to bigger and better things. Cherish this time, it might be something you do with you kids.
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I too wish my father liked cigars, but he isn't a fan of them. Sounds like you had a fantastic evening, and its reading posts like this that make me hate the possibility of the FDA getting involved in cigars. Cigars aren't an addiction, but a way to relax, have memorable experiences, and bond people who enjoy them together. Kudos to you and your dad!
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    That's awesome dude.. enjoy it all you can.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is very cool! Although my dad isn't a fan of cigars, he has taken me to a few cigar stores, and he sometimes grabs a couple and will smoke a little with me. We were headed to see Rush in Greensboro and stopped at a place and fired up some cheapies in the parkinglot before the show! It's fun to do that kinda stuff.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Wish i could
  • Options
    rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    These are the kind of moments I am looking forward to with my son. Grab a few sticks and a few beers and just spend time as men.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    My father isn't around to smoke with. It'd be a great experience to just sit back in the quietness and smoke a cigar. It doesn't take a whole lot of converstation...just the kicking back and enjoying a cigar together is priceless.
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    I dont smoke with my dad. He does not enjoy cigars. However, this is how i have bonded with my long time girl friends father. I look forward to it every time we go back home over the holidays and vacations. We talk about cigars,beer, whiskey, wine, raquet ball, and a plethora of other topics.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Enjoy those times as often as possible . Wish my dad was still around to do this with . I'm happy for your experience , cherish it !!!
  • Options
    musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    james40:
    That's really great to hear bro. It's funny how the little things in life lead to bigger and better things. Cherish this time, it might be something you do with you kids.
    It truly is little things that are special. I have now come to realize things like this now that i am not as stubborn and stupid as i once was.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Great thread, I love moments like that. You're gonna remember having the cigar with your dad for the rest of your life.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Me and my brother TJ (Teege) and my dad get together every Sat night after dinner and smoke on dad's front porch. We all look forward to it and enjoy it every time.

we are fortunate enough to have a close family. Me, my brother, my 2 sisters, and all of our spouses and kids go to my parent's house every sat for the afternoon and have dinner together. We also go on vacation as an entire family at least twice a year. It's a lot to organize at times (there's 20 of us including all our kids!), but it is def worth it.

the men enjoy sitting on the porch and having a good cigar after our Sat dinner while the kids play in the yard and the women chat in the living room. Keeps us close and keeps us grounded.

I'm glad you got to experience that with your dad! I hope it becomes a ritual thing for you guys, too!
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    My dad got me into cigars quite a few years ago. He taught me to appreciate all the subtleties in the different brands and blends.
    The last cigar I smoked with him was in 2006 right after I got back from Iraq.
    He passed away shortly after that.
    One of the last things he said to me was "I wanted to make sure you brought all your Soldiers home safely"