Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Disrespect

rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
So a couple of friends and I run a memorial golf tournament every year for a friend of ours who passed away. One of the friends who I only see a couple times a year does smoke an occasional cigar while golfing. After all of the check in and prep is done, he pulls a box of cigars out of his golf bag. I immediately recognize them as a box of ISOM RyJ Churchill's. He hands them out to our group of friends, and then says: "I have to warn you. I forgot I had these so they have been sitting in the box in my trunk for 3 months".
After I slapped him in the side of the head, I pulled out a punch cutter and very carefully went to work (didn't want to be rude and take it home to re-hydrate in the humi). Obviously it didn't smoke like it should have, but I still nubbed it. Can you believe some people?

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    So a couple of friends and I run a memorial golf tournament every year for a friend of ours who passed away. One of the friends who I only see a couple times a year does smoke an occasional cigar while golfing. After all of the check in and prep is done, he pulls a box of cigars out of his golf bag. I immediately recognize them as a box of ISOM RyJ Churchill's. He hands them out to our group of friends, and then says: "I have to warn you. I forgot I had these so they have been sitting in the box in my trunk for 3 months".
    After I slapped him in the side of the head, I pulled out a punch cutter and very carefully went to work (didn't want to be rude and take it home to re-hydrate in the humi). Obviously it didn't smoke like it should have, but I still nubbed it. Can you believe some people?

Some folks just resist learning as though it were a felony. I've got a redneck acquaintance who I've been trying to introduce to good cigars. He's a fan of Philly Blunts. Smokes a couple a day. So on a couple occasions I've given him a handful of various sticks that I think he might enjoy along with a couple cigar catalogs so he could look over what's available out there and compare prices, etc.

Social graces aren't his thing. Instead of politely letting me know that he didn't care for any of my choices he just told me they were horrible (my word, not his) and he'd just stick with his Blunts. I'm not sure he's ever used the word 'horrible' in a complete sentence. He's one of those Okie-types whose mantra is "Don't know, don't wanna know".

Ya just can't help some folks. As I've heard said , ya can't fix stupid....
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting to the point where I don't wish to introduce new people to cigars at all. Seems like 98% are not gonna "get it" and to them I'm the one who seems like a lunatic over the whole subject. "Did you hear him going on about humidity and temperature? And what's with all the Spanish terms? ,.......Weirdo."

• Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I'm getting to the point where I don't wish to introduce new people to cigars at all. Seems like 98% are not gonna "get it" and to them I'm the one who seems like a lunatic over the whole subject. "Did you hear him going on about humidity and temperature? And what's with all the Spanish terms? ,.......Weirdo."

you definitely need to know the interest level of who you are trying to introduce. My 2 buddies love to smoke cigars. Love to talk about different flavors and things like that but want nothing to do with the "hobby"

Yes they have humidors, and keep cigars on hand and smoke 4+ times a week, but aren't ****'s about humidity and if you try and really talk shop with them their eyes roll back and they just tell me to stop. I know i can enjoy the smoking aspect of it with them, but I can't enjoy the hobby aspect.

Different strokes for different folks.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:

Agreed. The guy I'm talking about keeps his blunts in his refrigerator, lights 'em with a Bic disposable, and thinks all cigars should come pre-punched. He doesn't have time (he says) to bother with all that temp & humidity crap.... Sheesh.... And as far as Spanish goes, he thinks Padilla rhymes with vanilla....
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    [And as far as Spanish goes, he thinks Padilla rhymes with vanilla....
    It doesn't ?! ;)

Remember... most everyone on this forum is the nerd-equivalent of the cigar world. Sometimes I forget how into I am and how not into it others are, lol!

I wish there were more of us, but I'll smoke a cigar with just about anyone.

As for the RyJ's... ****.... what a waste :(
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My absolute favorite cigar in the whole world and responsible for me smoking cigars today. An out right sin....
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have just confiscated the entire box and bought them all some dutch masters. Then told them you will bring them back to life and enjoy them.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The subject of cigars came up at work between me and a guy I was talking to who said he'd tried a few premiums but they were too strong. I told him I could give him some that wouldn't be as strong. He seemed excited at the prospect. I picked out some milder smokes and ended up giving him a handful of cigars in a ziplock and I told him as long as he smoked them pretty soon they would be OK in that bag for a few weeks before they would need additional humidification. At that point he looks at me as though I'd just told him I was not really an earthling but I was actually from Pluto. Oh, and he hasn't mentioned the cigars since.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the end of the day(and a case of beer) there were only a couple left. One of the other guys in our group took them home. I don't think he ever had a CC before so I told him to take them.
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Kinda like last week I gave a golfing buddy an OSOK and after the second hole and inch down I watched it fly through the air end over end into the pond. He got a welcome home cussing! Lol Damn people do not have a clue! I need to buy some Victor st clairs and hand them out insted on the links.
  • Options
    jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    It's like a guy I work with, always has a Phillie in his mouth and people think he's a cigar connoisseur...yeah, as much as the guy with his daily MD20/20 in a brown bag is a wine connoisseur. ;)
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luckily I have not had to deal with such dismay as of yet. I hope that I don't have to.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I gave my brother in law a premium cigar. First thing he does is bite the cap off and start gnawing on it. Once I light mine, they all are like, why do you smoke that ***?
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    The subject of cigars came up at work between me and a guy I was talking to who said he'd tried a few premiums but they were too strong. I told him I could give him some that wouldn't be as strong. He seemed excited at the prospect. I picked out some milder smokes and ended up giving him a handful of cigars in a ziplock and I told him as long as he smoked them pretty soon they would be OK in that bag for a few weeks before they would need additional humidification. At that point he looks at me as though I'd just told him I was not really an earthling but I was actually from Pluto. Oh, and he hasn't mentioned the cigars since.
    People don't really hear what we're saying. "You've got a day or two in which to enjoy this, keep it in the bag until then, DON'T wait" - Jan 1st.

May 20th- Seeing cigar on top of refrigerator, un-bagged, unprotected, dusty -"Is that the cigar I gave you at New Years?"

"yeah, I haven't had time, I'm gonna smoke it soon, though, see if it's has good as you said"

I'm thinking "not".

But, I gave it to him. At least he didn't beg for a premium long enough for me to break down, then light it, smoke 2 puffs and then SMASH!! it out asking "EEew! You like those?"

Blasphemers!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i keep a hand full of decent cigars im not embarrassed to hand out but are not expensive on hand to hand out to people who wont get it, but if they do they will be happy. had a few people toss em. i dont care, they are usually under $3 a pop.