Home General Discussion
Options

New Man Cave-Complete with 2 days to spare.

prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
Well, I finally gave into the fact that it is freaking cold here in Massachusetts, and decided to move indoors, so to speak. I am having a 12' x 18' building built that will be my own personal escape from reality. Hopefully the shell will be up in 5 weeks or so, and ready for my finish work.

So far I have the general concept of bar, leather furniture, tv, etc down, but I would like suggestions on ventilation so that my wife and kids may visit me from time to time.

Has anyone out there done this that may know the most effective way to keep the cigar smoke from infiltrating everything?

Is rigid foam insulation better than fiberglass for this purpose?

Comments

• Options
    robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope I get an invite to the opening of your smoking man cave LOL I'll bring the sticks
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought thru wall bathroom fans. I installed 2 of them by my desk and they work great. But a couple ceiling bathroom fans should work pretty good.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How bout a fireplace or a pot belly stove? Warms the place and draws the smoke out at the same time, gives you a fine way to dispose of your nubs and ashes, and finally gives you and excuse for any lingering smoky odors.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    robertgreen30:
    I hope I get an invite to the opening of your smoking man cave LOL I'll bring the sticks

Invitaions to BOTL wil def be forthcoming.

I was thinking propane stove for heat, due to ease of use.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    pross:
    robertgreen30:

I just saw this thread. Can you describe the building - is it seperated from the house, or is it atttached to the house? Without knowing much about the building itself, this type of wallmounted heater might be something to consider :

http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php?action=store&page=VentedWallHeaters

One word of advice is to make sure to use a heat source that draws combustion air from the outside (if you choose gas or propane) so that you won't be susceptible to carbon monoxide poisioning.

There are lots of ways to vent your building, but just remember that you should also be bringing in fresh air as well while venting your smoke. You will need something a lot more powerful that a bath vent, though. Talk to a good HVAC guy and he will recomend a few cost effective ways to get it done.

I would prefer rolled insulation to the riigid foam. In Mass, you should get the best r value you can for the money you spend.

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Man cave huh? Jealous Pross, very jealous.
  • Options
    JDH:
    pross:
    robertgreen30:

I just saw this thread. Can you describe the building - is it seperated from the house, or is it atttached to the house? Without knowing much about the building itself, this type of wallmounted heater might be something to consider :

One word of advice is to make sure to use a heat source that draws combustion air from the outside (if you choose gas or propane) so that you won't be susceptible to carbon monoxide poisioning.

There are lots of ways to vent your building, but just remember that you should also be bringing in fresh air as well while venting your smoke. You will need something a lot more powerful that a bath vent, though. Talk to a good HVAC guy and he will recomend a few cost effective ways to get it done.

I would prefer rolled insulation to the riigid foam. In Mass, you should get the best r value you can for the money you spend.

it will be a separate building about 75' from house. Standard 8' walls, 10 pitch roof shed style building. Insulated floor.

I was thinking that bathroom vents are not strong enough. Has anyone used commercial grade HEPA filtration, or Ozone generators?
  • Options
    P.S. JDH, I had to laugh. I went to the heater link you sent me and it states "Legal for use in Canada, and all United States, "except Massachusetts"

FML...

• Options
    pross:
    P.S. JDH, I had to laugh. I went to the heater link you sent me and it states "Legal for use in Canada, and all United States, "except Massachusetts"

FML...

Now that's funny! There must be a building code specific to gas wall heaters in MASS that these don't meet.
  • Options
    pross:
    JDH:
    pross:
    robertgreen30:

it will be a separate building about 75' from house. Standard 8' walls, 10 pitch roof shed style building. Insulated floor.

I was thinking that bathroom vents are not strong enough. Has anyone used commercial grade HEPA filtration, or Ozone generators?
    Exhaust is the key, I'd avoid ozone generators. They really won't solve the problem. You have to get the all of the cigar smoke vented to the outside. I'm assuming that you'll have windows in this small room. For an economical exhaust solution you could use a window exhaust fan like this in one window, and crack the other open just a little to get fresh air in when the fan is in use:

http://www.airkinglimited.com/pages/industrial/window1.html

I'd talk to a good HVAC guy about exhaust and heating, though. Given the purposes you're creating this building for, HVAC is one area that you really need to do right, especially in your climate.

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Sounds awesome! Congratulations and where is this being built, Maine or Mass? lol.

Is HEPA really necessary for removing smoke? The only thing I've ever associated HEPA with is filtering lead dust. I'm not sure FG or foam board insulation makes a difference in smoke capture but foam board has a better true R value, not that 12'x18' is going to be hard to heat. Good luck!
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    Sounds awesome! Congratulations and where is this being built, Maine or Mass? lol.

Is HEPA really necessary for removing smoke? The only thing I've ever associated HEPA with is filtering lead dust. I'm not sure FG or foam board insulation makes a difference in smoke capture but foam board has a better true R value, not that 12'x18' is going to be hard to heat. Good luck!
    In my opinion, a portable room air purifier suitable for that space is all that will be needed. I use a "blueair" in my cigar room. As for the insulation - my theory has always been to get it done at the lowest price.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:

this is for Mass. I have a big screened porch In Maine I use all summer.

I was wondering about the HEPA because I saw a commercial grade unit for sale on CL for $250, new they go for over $1200. It is 2' x 4' designed to fit in dropped ceiling grid.
  • Options
    pross:
    No problem. The Aificionado project is completely over the top regarding expense. You don't have to get that pricy unless you want to. My cigar room is really inexpensive (but I live in a much more temperate climate than you do). I got by with a window exhaust fan, a portable electric heater, and a good air purifier (all under $600 - with the air purifier taking most of that). You will probably want to spend more because it's a stand alone building in a pretty cold winter setting. Your HVAC guy will be the key to your project.
  • Options
    I use a Blueair Air Purifier - can't say enough good things about it.

http://www.blueairstore.com/?srcad=blueair-.
  • Options
    And we're off.....

Had some progress on the man cave this week. Shell is up, ready for finish.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I basically started with a panelized shed that I customized using stick built, insulated floor, beefed up construction, and a 10 pitch roof.

Christening with a Padron 1926 as we speak using some of my patio furniture and portable propane heat. I think I might be a redneck!

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice indeed sir..sounds like its time for a cave warming party...
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    That's no cave, that's a ****ing house.
  • Options
    Rain:
    That's no cave, that's a ****ing house.

Funny thing is, that I was just thinking it could have been 2 feet larger each way.

Must be the boater in me....

• Options
    You're just trying to one up me. I post a picture of my 5 by 5 garage man cave, then you run out and build one.
  • Options
    Now Rain, if I really wanted to one up you based on size, we wouldn't be talking sheds......

• Options
    Deep down, I love your manhouse.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Very nice and congrats on the new man cave.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Pross...but, where's the potty?
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    right outside the door...to the left
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice man, so jealous.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Bigshizza:
    right outside the door...to the left

Lol. That is exactly where I just went..
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    nice place man. so jealous you get to smoke indoors.