Home Non Cigar Related

Diary from Nicaragua

rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Lake Nicaragua is the 10th largest freshwater lake in the world and the 2nd largest in Latin America(after Lake Titicaca in Bolivia and Peru). Yesterday was holiday here so we couple cigar buddies went to Lake Nicaragua to hang around on a boat, smoking, drinking and enjoy some tropical beauty. FYI, the famous Ometepe tobacco comes from Ometepe Islands which is also situated in Lake Nicaragua. I will talk about Ometepe Islands and tobacco some other time. It's natural history and beauty is fascinating, covering over 8,000 Sq. Kilometer. We took the closet entry through historic city of Granada from Managua. The famous Mombacho Volcano is also next to Granada city. Mombacho also produces some tobaccos. There is a cigar brand calls "Mombacho" made by a Canadian guy.

we had couple hours boat ride. The lake has many small Islands with beautiful houses, hotels and old Spanish fort. We enjoyed tube ride, hiking around the small island and of ofcourse smoking cigars. It was a lot of fun. Here are some picture:
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful rzaman, just beautiful. XX
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    i want to go to there... lol
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    If you come to Nicaragua, I will take you there. Also the cigar plantation in Ometepe. It is so much fun to smoke on a boat.
    oldsoulrevival:
    i want to go to there... lol
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    My girlfriend went there about two years ago. She has some amazing pictures from there. Kind of jealous of her she got to tour drew estates factory when she was their too. Too bad i was not smoking at the time i would have told her to pick up a few things =). Any ways hope you had a good day on the lake sounds like a blast!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Great pics Rip. I imagine you had a great time, I know I would have enjoyed that. Cheers.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's bada$$ dude. I would love to experience that.
    Now you got me craving a vacation, *sigh*

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics. That's some beautiful scenery.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Awesome story and beautiful pics, Rip! Thanks for sharing, brother!
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Brother I am so jealous, that's amazing...

This trip was very emotional to me because I spent this weekend with my best friend who introduced me with cigar. Now he is assigned to another country and we wanted to smoke our last cigar together. We chose this beautiful private beach area for two reasons. This is the place where I had my first premium cigar Padron 1926 80th anniversario. We also spent many weekends here with cigars, great food and conversations. He was not only my best friend but also a family friend, my mentor, cigar buddy. It does't happen quiet often in this career and life style where we click immediately with someone from work and become close friends. I will miss my dear friend tremendiously with a tiny hope to serve in another country together someday.

The name of this pace is "Gigante". One of the few non-americanized cultural hot spots left on the rich coast of Nicaragua, Playa Gigante keeps people coming back time and time again. Playa Gigante has proven to be the epi-center of world class surfing in Nicaragua, all the while keeping it’s fishing village charm. Gigante is a working fishing village where about 30 fishermen earn their living. The fishermen leave early in the morning to fish in the area’s rich waters using nets. They normally return by late morning with their catch of Pargo (cubera snapper), Dorado (Mahi Mahi), and other market fish by late morning. The fish are cleaned offshore and put on ice in preparation for their road trip to market in Rivas or Managua. It is a beautiful part of Nicaragua. Nicaragua is a beautiful country with beautiful people. Though we have huge political differences with this country at the international stage but I do not hesitate to say I love Nicaraguan people, culture and it's georgious natural beauty.

I am dedicating this post to my best friend who I consider as a family member, a true cigar afiocinado who introduced me to the world of cigar.
    This was really funny:

Photobucket Photobucket
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    rzaman:

This trip was very emotional to me because I spent this weekend with my best friend who introduced me with cigar. Now he is assigned to another country and we wanted to smoke our last cigar together. We chose this beautiful private beach area for two reasons. This is the place where I had my first premium cigar Padron 1926 80th anniversario. We also spent many weekends here with cigars, great food and conversations. He was not only my best friend but also a family friend, my mentor, cigar buddy. It does't happen quiet often in this career and life style where we click immediately with someone from work and become close friends. I will miss my dear friend tremendiously with a tiny hope to serve in another country together someday.

The name of this pace is "Gigante". One of the few non-americanized cultural hot spots left on the rich coast of Nicaragua, Playa Gigante keeps people coming back time and time again. Playa Gigante has proven to be the epi-center of world class surfing in Nicaragua, all the while keeping it’s fishing village charm. Gigante is a working fishing village where about 30 fishermen earn their living. The fishermen leave early in the morning to fish in the area’s rich waters using nets. They normally return by late morning with their catch of Pargo (cubera snapper), Dorado (Mahi Mahi), and other market fish by late morning. The fish are cleaned offshore and put on ice in preparation for their road trip to market in Rivas or Managua. It is a beautiful part of Nicaragua. Nicaragua is a beautiful country with beautiful people. Though we have huge political differences with this country at the international stage but I do not hesitate to say I love Nicaraguan people, culture and it's georgious natural beauty.

I am dedicating this post to my best friend who I consider as a family member, a true cigar afiocinado who introduced me to the world of cigar.
    This was really funny:

Photobucket Photobucket
    very beautiful, thanks for sharing you memories and pics with us!
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Loving the pics and stories, brother. I don't know what you do or how you got where you are, but I imagine it took some hard work for that kind of payout. Congrats. Keep em coming.

Some picture from my quick Padron factory trip. I was happen to be in that area for a trip and heard Jorge was there. So I just stop by to say hello and enjoyed another quick trip to pardon. Here are some pictures. I have many pictures but I need to organize them.
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! A trip, including tours like this, are certainly now on my bucket list! THanks for sharing.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive been to that factory as well.

was it with a group of some sort or was this a private tour?

that factory was very different than any other factory i have been to.
    the security and reinforcement of the doors and gates alone sets it apart.
    also their process was different than other factories. padron is what i called a great "comparison factory"
    it just shows that there is no "right" way to make a cigar, and its more art than many would like to admit.

Yesterday, I fulfilled one of my work objectives way before the deadline. As a result my superior called me in her office to thank me just when I was about to leave the office. She wanted to thank me and also asked if I would like to have a bonus at the end of fiscal year, cash award right away with a Certificate of Appreciation. My counter offer was to allow me a bonus day off and put my achivement during the time of my evaluation. Without any hesitation my desire was immediately approved. I have been working at least 11 hours a day last couple of weeks and needed a break. I was very happy, went back to my office and immediately placed my order for a box of Davidoff Royal Robusto. It is good to be recognized right away for good work. I love my job.

This morning I woke up at 8:30AM. Had a great breakfast, tea and now smoking a Behike 52. This smoke supposed to be part of my Aging project but I am just too lazy to take notes. I simply want to enjoy the day with one of my favorite cigar. My baby girl dog is playing with her newly born puppy. Kids are at school, my wife is at work. It is all about me, my cigar, reading a book about radical religious movement around the globe, enjoying the garden I designed two years ago. Life can't be better than this.
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Congrats on everything brother. Hell of a cigar and gorgeous garden. Gotta love it when a day just falls in line. Awesome.

Private tour. I was happened to be in Esteli that time. I know Jorge and Padron's local banker and have the access to visit anytime.

Padron's operation is one of the best here along with Pepin Garcia's factory. There is no right way to make cigar but few can make good cigar as Padron. They are not into hundreds of different production line.They keep their production line in limited quantities and strictly manages the quality control unlike many other cigar makers. It is the fact that being consistent is a challenge in the cigar industry and Padron is a winner on that.

Nicaraguan cigar industry is facing a new challenge about how to maintain the quality control. there is a huge tension between the old and new cigar makers. Many new comers are here for quick bucks. I was attending a seminar recently, the issue brought up by the local authority but end up without a solution. We have to wait and see how things go here. However, I highly respect Padron's business strategy and ethics to stick with the core line which is not a easy task.
    kuzi16:
    ive been to that factory as well.

was it with a group of some sort or was this a private tour?

that factory was very different than any other factory i have been to.
    the security and reinforcement of the doors and gates alone sets it apart.
    also their process was different than other factories. padron is what i called a great "comparison factory"
    it just shows that there is no "right" way to make a cigar, and its more art than many would like to admit.
    rzaman:

Nicaraguan cigar industry is facing a new challenge about how to maintain the quality control. there is a huge tension between the old and new cigar makers. Many new comers are here for quick bucks. I was attending a seminar recently, the issue brought up by the local authority but end up without a solution. We have to wait and see how things go here. However, I highly respect Padron's business strategy and ethics to stick with the core line which is not a easy task.
    im not sure if you have ever been through the Drew Estates factory, but if you have you have probably heard JD's speech about quality control. i was quite impressed.

He doesn't even believe in draw machine. Drew Estate is also a great cigar manufacturer. Again, they stick with the core lines. His story coming to this business is inspiring. JD and Steve both are highly respected cigar icons. However, I wish they could have come up with some cigars with some vintage tobacco. Steve Saka's cigar knowledge is unbelivable.
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:

im not sure if you have ever been through the Drew Estates factory, but if you have you have probably heard JD's speech about quality control. i was quite impressed.

rzaman:
    He doesn't even believe in draw machine. Drew Estate is also a great cigar manufacturer. Again, they stick with the core lines. His story coming to this business is inspiring. JD and Steve both are highly respected cigar icons. However, I wish they could have come up with some cigars with some vintage tobacco. Steve Saka's cigar knowledge is unbelivable.
    if i am not mistaken they do not grow their own tobacco. they hire farms to grow it. they do have many many bales in their warehouse and im sure there is some stuff in the works. if you get the opportunity to check that room out do it. its nothing short of amazing.
    he almost went out of business at one point and i think he lost a ton of stuff. maybe he lost tobacco at that point. iduno.

as far as the draw machines thing goes... i asked him about that. he believes that if you use the best rollers you dont need them. he doesnt use bunching machines either. he just has some of the best rollers in the country. i can respect that. i dont think it really matters. i mean, i have never had any DE product that has ever had a single construction issue. the quality of his rollers and inspectors in QC are second to none.

Another beautiful rainy day in Managua. My wife is in the US for a business trip, kids went to watch Madagascar 3 with their friends. I stayed at home to enjoy a quiet, relaxing, cigar day. Just brought some fresh Nicaragua spiny lobster tails. During one of my trip I met this fisherman in the Pacific coast. He told me to give him a call whenever I need fresh lobster tail. I called him this morning and he dropped some in my house.

While planning to cook some lobster with Thai spicy coconut sauce tonight, I am also enjoying a relaxing day. I really enjoy being alone sometime with a fine cigar. I started this morning with a wonderful Davidoff 100 Anniversary Geneva and still couldn’t decide what to smoke after launch.

Usually, my job demands long hours and many meetings everyday. Most of the time, the people I do not want to meet LOL. Anyway I still love my job. Once in a while, I need this kind of quiet time when I can relax, think, analyze various ongoing issues. I learned one thing after I lost my father that life is too short and we need to enjoy every single second in our life. Indeed, I feel blessed to have a comfortable life and a beautiful family and friend circle.

I am sitting outside on my patio, reading a book about Cross-cultural political difference in 21st century and decided to take some pictures of my garden to share the moment with you - my BOTLs. I love nature. I wish you all a wonderful day and be blessed of what we have in life. Life has been never perfect but still we have a comfortable life and luxury to enjoy a fine cigar. I have been traveling around the world since I was 13. I have seen how difficult life can be for many people. I have worked in the war zone, civil war, natural disaster and also in the developed nations. I came to this conclusion- Life has been not perfect but we need to cherish the simple pleasure we have at this moment.
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must have really done something good in your life to be rewarded so well. Man, what a blessed life.
    Thanks for sharing all this.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    That's a beautiful yard you have there!
    Thanks Tony for your nice words. my father used to tell me - If you dare to dream, you can make it happen. I always believe in that.
    0patience:
    You must have really done something good in your life to be rewarded so well. Man, what a blessed life.
    Thanks for sharing all this.
    Thanks Ben. I designed it two and half years ago. I crossed the border and went to Costa Rica to collect some of the plants. I use a lot of volcanic rocks which is very easy to find in Nicaragua. they are good for the plants and orchid bush. I will be very sad when I leave the country.
    bbass2:
    That's a beautiful yard you have there!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are those Mangoes?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    LOL...yes. They are very sweet and Juci mangos. I cook a lot with mangos and drink mango juice 6 months. Rest of the 6 months, I use frozen mango or use imported fresh mango from India or South Africa. I also have avocado, star fruit, Asian lime, orange, almond, 12 coconut trees in my house. I also planted many types of chilie pepper, cilantro, Italian herbs. I try to grow as much as possible with organic method. I try to cook every weekend.
    danielzreyes:
    Are those Mangoes?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    LOL...yes. They are very sweet and Juci mangos. I cook a lot with mangos and drink mango juice 6 months. Rest of the 6 months, I use frozen mango or use imported fresh mango from India or South Africa. I also have avocado, star fruit, Asian lime, orange, almond, 12 coconut trees in my house. I also planted many types of chilie pepper, cilantro, Italian herbs. I try to grow as much as possible with organic method. I try to cook every weekend.
    danielzreyes:
    Are those Mangoes?
    not sure if I want to live in your back yard....or humi room more bro... I'd be eating those mango's like a monkey
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    What's the Constantino Wire for? Keep tigers out? Beautiful place. You live well, Sir!