Home Pipes

This must be the Elite section

pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
Nothing rounds out the individual better than a pipe.
There is nothing like relaxing with a good pipe and a favorite blend. I even got my other half to smoke one with me.
When I light up a hand rolled cigar on the porch, she packs a pipe and joins me. WOW. Nothin better.
I invite the stogie Connoisseur who at times packs up a pipe to enter the relm of the elite and join us by posting their favorite pipe and blend.

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Pilgrimtex, glad to have to here. A little hint: (sssh...we're all nuts)

OK, maybe just me, at any rate, glad you're here.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Yup. I must have been right.
    Only true tobacco lovers cross over to the Dark Side.
    Sticking just with stogies is like having pie without the alla mode.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    Yup. I must have been right.
    Only true tobacco lovers cross over to the Dark Side.
    Sticking just with stogies is like having pie without the alla mode.
    I like Pie!!!! lol,, Havent smoked my pipe in a while,, Blends Im sitting on are Dunhill standard, McClelland christmas cheer 2010, 3 Oaks english blend, McClelland wilderness blend, and some local mixtures chuckanut and some blk and gold cav?
    What blend(s) do you enjoy?
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pipes are great for winter indoor smoking! I need to light one up again sometime.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    I buy in Bulk. Altadis- Black Kathy, Lane Ltd - TK6 and a blend I make from Lane Ltd - BLWB and Very Cherry. I seem to average 5 lbs/month. LOl.
    Allows me to spend the bigger bucks on hand rolled stogies.
    I'm the only one in our group allowed to wear the Paluxy Peckerwood tat with a pipe. founder has a cigar on his.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Well Walt, tonight I will give it my first try.
    Rain:
    Well Walt, tonight I will give it my first try.

Well how did it go?
    this topic is like our own private lounge. Guess our fellow cigar smokers don't realize what their missing. Like never having had ice-cream before. Don't miss it because they never tried it.
    I spent more time trying to pack then I did smoking haha. Is that even the right term, packing? Anyways, I did manage to smoke a bit, and I liked it. Looking forward to getting in to this.
    Rain:
    I spent more time trying to pack then I did smoking haha. Is that even the right term, packing? Anyways, I did manage to smoke a bit, and I liked it. Looking forward to getting in to this.

After awhile you'll get like me. I just start stuffing it. I like getting a large enough wad and begin feeding into the pipe as one continuous mass. If you play the game of packing the way they say I believe you build up layers and the strands of tobac aren't intertwined. this is reason i feel pipes sometimes go out. Not so say I still don't relight once in awhile. You learn as you feed the wad into the pipe to begin softly and heavier as you move to the top of the bowl. I have another home blend. 50 50 blwb and black kathy. really smooth and gentle. Get a good build up in your bowl. If it is still new be sure to smoke it all the way down. Once your bowl has a wall of residue built up it will mellow out even more.
    Tried again tonight. It's hard to get a good, even burn. Also trying to figure out how quickly to puff. Cigarette fast, cigar fast...not sure.
    LOL.
    One secret is a very even light. Light it. Take a tamper give it a slight tamp to even it up and relight. May need to do it a couple of times. Packing too at the end when filling a pipe; May not be tamping it enough.
    As for draw. Think of sippin on a straw havin a milk shake. Use the muscles in the mouth to draw in the smoke. To hard and long draws will pull the oxygen through the path of least resistance. this will cause the fire to follow it makin for the uneven burn. easy goin draws will allow enough time for the burn to spread across the bowl. give a cooler richer smoke etc. Draw often enough to keep it going.
    Be sure to bring your pipes with you so we can work through the basics when yall come up. lol
    I'm with Pilgrimtex, if you pack in stages, it burns in stages. I get a three finger, (well, ones a thumb) grip and feed into the bowl, then another on top before tamping and pack in, trying to get an even mixture. Lighting can take several times, because you don't want too much heat at once. Your objective is that slow and even burn. Light tamping releases the smoke. Once you get it, all the flavors are revealed. Very rewarding.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    After reading this, I feel a little better at tryingmy pipes. I think I may give it a go this weekend. Thank you gentleman for sharing.
    RCY Cigars:
    After reading this, I feel a little better at tryingmy pipes. I think I may give it a go this weekend. Thank you gentleman for sharing.

Welcome to the Dark Side. LOL
    There is nothing more relaxing than a good pipe except maybe a great cigar. Pipe smokin is generally easier on the pocketbook though. And your welcome.
    Hey!!!!!
    Anybody out there? What a bunch of wimps. Can't seem to get it up for real Enjoyment. LOL
    Common you pipe smokers. I enjoy stogies and have a raft of them. Have the icing with your cake and step over to the Dark Side.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I agree, a pipe really adds to the enjoyment of cigars I think. It also opens the door to more time for smoking! I smoke depending on my mood. If all I want to do is relax and forget the day then a cigar is the key but often I need to think about something, deal with an issue etc. The pipe seems to be what I turn to more often than not. I will probably never be the smoker you are as I don't see this as replacing my cigars but I do enjoy it more and more often.
    J.S.:
    I agree, a pipe really adds to the enjoyment of cigars I think. It also opens the door to more time for smoking! I smoke depending on my mood. If all I want to do is relax and forget the day then a cigar is the key but often I need to think about something, deal with an issue etc. The pipe seems to be what I turn to more often than not. I will probably never be the smoker you are as I don't see this as replacing my cigars but I do enjoy it more and more often.

My pipes came first, followed by cigars second. I still polish off a few stogies in a day between pipes. LOL
    If I smoked as many stogies as I do Pipes I'd be a homeless person asking for handouts.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    With all due respect to pipe smokers. I've been there and I just can't handle the job that a pipe does on my lips. Always rough. The tobacco seems a bit more harsh and irritates the front of my tongue. and the pipes always irritate my lips. JMO.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Well....looks like I'm in
    catfishbluezz:

Indeed! A great start! I like Dunhill's Night Cap, and S.G.'s 1776. Both are good strong blends so if you are just getting started go easy. Slow puffing is the key, your tongue will thank you for it!
    catfishbluezz:

Don't drink any cold fizzy drinks after smoking some of those. LOL
    Catfish, jump right in the deep water, no half-steppin' there.

@Pilgrim, got a nice head buzz from the dark Cavendish last night. Still trying to get my pack down though, seems like it's not quite tight enough to get a rich draw.

@Amos, literally...all this cost me about $20. Owner of a local pipe shop hooked it up. I'm really stoked to try all of these one by one.
    catfishbluezz:
    @Pilgrim, got a nice head buzz from the dark Cavendish last night. Still trying to get my pack down though, seems like it's not quite tight enough to get a rich draw.

@Amos, literally...all this cost me about $20. Owner of a local pipe shop hooked it up. I'm really stoked to try all of these one by one.

Not being there to feel the tobak. If its not gurgling on you when you pack tight it may be a little dry. Obviously you don't want gurgling but a little moisture will get you more smoke. Did it seem a little hot? Another sign of dry tobacco. Every tobacco is different. Some smoke good even if they feel a little wet. I have a couple I like them to feel dryed out. Thats part of the fun being on the dark side. May the wisping clouds of smoke circle you in an ethereal voyage of pleasure.
    catfishbluezz:

The difficulty could be more in the tobacco than the pack itself. Cavendish referes to a process that the tobacco goes through. It is pressed and heated, making it milder and as a result taking some of the flavor with it. Most Cavendish styles add sugar and other flavorings to help add flavor (e.g., aromatics use Cavendish a lot). Some types have nothing added to them but are used to help cool a blend. If you were not having trouble with lots of relights I would try a different blend tonight and see what happens.
    Interesting... The pipe was very hot, but the tobacco didnt seem dry, and there was no gurgle. Do you guys humidify it? I'll try another blend tonight and report back.
    No need to humidify. Unless the tobacco is so dry that it is easily breaking when handled it is most likely OK. Humidity is different with pipe tobacco. Normally around 12-14% by weight is how blenders would talk what that would work out to in a jar, I have no idea. I doubt that it is too dry. If it is there are things you can do to bring it back but if you just picked it up from a guy that sounds more like a friend than the average guy behind the counter I would think it is fine.

You can also get a hot pipe if you are smoking too fast. I see a lot of guys taking 3 puffs at a time. This for me is bad, it makes the bowl get too hot. 2 long slow puffs and waiting might help.
    catfishbluezz:
    Interesting... The pipe was very hot, but the tobacco didnt seem dry, and there was no gurgle. Do you guys humidify it? I'll try another blend tonight and report back.

Maybe thats why they have tobacco humidors. LOL I get mine from wally world. They are just like what you see on line for 20+ each but I get um in the container area for about 9 or so. I usually break up a ceramic coaster and glue the pieces to the top of the lid. Some use fruit such as an apple slice etc. Its all in the imagination.
    You should be able to rest the bowl of the pipe against your cheeck without gettin burned. At least thats what I read somewhere. Hot bowls can mean you're drawing too hard or dry tobacco. Drawing should be like sippin a malt through a straw. Forcing a lot of air through the bowl heats the coals way up like a blacksmith's forge. You wind up with less smoke as well. When my pipe seems to go smokeless I slow way down with short light draws and the pipe comes back and the smoke gets full and chewy. Just my take on it.
    Weird...trying the 1776 tonight. Hot burn, needs a relight, definitely not billowing smoke unless I draw a bunch and get it hot
    Got a bowl of Virginia goin in my cob now, finally starting to get a good bowl going. Still feel hot, and really needs me to keep puffin, but production is much better. Problem is, if I set it down for 30 seconds its out