Home Ratings & Reviews

AJ Blends Just Suck

I know this thread is going to be very unpopular with a lot of the members of this forum, remember this is just my personal opinion and review, if you do not agree please be kind and respectful.

Through the forums here I have met a lot of amazing people, and getting to know what people like and being able to share what I like has been a great part of the process. I have been very fortunate to have received some awesome sticks from members here due to trades or bombs and just like many of the members here I will try a stick a few times before I completely write it off. That being said....

AJ blends and brands, for me, just suck!! I have tried and revisited a lot of his stuff lately. I know he is known as the budget blender and thats exactly what they are for me. I look at his product and yes I agree the price he offers his stuff at is hard to beat, but to me it really comes down to what kind of cigar smoker you are. Personally I would much rather save a little more of my budget up and buy better quality over having yard gar quantity taking up space in my wineador. Don't get me wrong, I do have my go to stick that I refer to as my yard gar, but I have very few of them. Reason being, getting to smoke a cigar is a treat for me. I smoke a couple times of week and when I do smoke it's not going to be an UHC or Man of War. I could treat cigar smoking as a daily thing but in my opinion it would not have the same meaning behind it as it did when I first got into the hobby. I jumped into this hobby not because cigars tasted good, the first stick I ever smoked was a baccarat, I got into this hobby because of the history behind it. Cigar smoking was once and kind of still is a very classy thing to do. Cigars were smoked for special occasions and to celebrate new life and for the more avid smokers, cigars were a treat or a show of status. Now days with some of the quality of sticks that are out there, and the quantity that are being smoked, is like having a humidor full of 3-5 dollar cigarette singles. Over the past 12 years I have been able to depict what I like in a cigar and what flavor profile does it for me. So now it's just not the history that I enjoy with this hobby.

Back to the review; In my opinion, most AJ blends are the same. I don't get much difference at all. There is nothing that grabs my attention and makes me think I need to buy a box of any of the sticks Ive smoked. I have tried AJ sticks ROTT and aged and have not been impressed. I honestly think that AJ and everything he produces is over hyped due to his training from a known master blender and add to that pricing that would blind and convince anyone to buy mass quantitys of below average sticks. To sum this review up, I am not a fan of AJ Fernandez and probably never will be.

I know there are a lot of AJ fans out there and Im sorry if what I wrote upsets you. I also know there are a lot of people on the forums that will disagree with some of the brands I love, such as Padron, and thats totally fine. There is one thing I can offer to AJ fans, sticks. If your an AJ fan PM your addy and anytime I get AJ sticks sent my way, I will be more then happy to send them out equally to everyone.

Comments

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    well ya know what YOU SUCK. hahah. totally kidding. It's just your opinion Jason. No need to be sorry to any extent. I overall do think that alot of AJ stuff tastes similar... I'm curious, which AJ sticks have you had and what did you like (or probably more appropriately here), dislike about them?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    It's all good, I hate Fuente and LFD. It happens lol and I agree with what you have said to an extent. However, I'll take the UHC and Shorty all day over most high end maduro's I've had, and recently the MOWPAM too. They just do it for me.
    I'll add this... I particularly enjoy them after a complex or epensive stick. Why....I have no clue, but for some reason after I smoke a nice cigar, I love following with an AJ for some reason...weird.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    History, celebrations, how classy you look?? I never thought of a cigar as a social statement or status symbol. I smoke 'em because I enjoy them. Sorry, your comments just sound a bit elitist and snobby. MOW are my yard gars.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    There is alot I can say to this but to not start a war I deleted it. To me it's like reading one of those fake magazines in the check out line at the super market. Man o War are yard gars and you smoke really expensive sticks etc. I don't think that is so i will leave it at that.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    hey mods...
    can we show this guy the door?

just kidding.

its cool. not everyone likes every stick. there are a few big name brands that people **** after here that i could give two *** about. personal preference.

....ha ha
    ...mods... thats a good one....
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    With a very few exceptions, I agree with everything you say. And this said, I do like one or two of his sticks....but have no idea how some people can find him the greatest thing in cigars since Cohiba....whith due respect to some, I think its the bandwagon alot of people jump on instead of an honest look at the flavor.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    beatnic:
    History, celebrations, how classy you look?? I never thought of a cigar as a social statement or status symbol. I smoke 'em because I enjoy them. Sorry, your comments just sound a bit elitist and snobby. MOW are my yard gars.
    Maybe before you depict me at a snob, open up a google page and research cigar history. mainly the 20's through the 50's. I like WW2 history, so what does that make me? Remember, snobby has already been used.
  • Bklyn78Bklyn78 Posts: 65
    Im a big AJ fan. MoW, Diesel, Ava Maria, Triple A, and San Lotano for my taste I just can't go wrong with picking one up. A few others he blends I dont care for.

I always give a cigar more than one chance and sometimes its just not for my liking. There has been other Brands that alot of people love and i just cant stand. Everyone has different likes and dislikes.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Wondering how long before Alex shuts this thread down.
    Gaetano7890:
    There is alot I can say to this but to not start a war I deleted it. To me it's like reading one of those fake magazines in the check out line at the super market. Man o War are yard gars and you smoke really expensive sticks etc. I don't think that is so i will leave it at that.
    I find it funny how in a forum for reviews and opinions that a persons review and opinion can be stated to be a lie. Again, sorry If I offended AJ fans!!
    y2pascoe:
    I just got a text message warning me of the same thing LOL
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    YouS cRAzY,,,,Like a GUY wearing a 49ers Jersey in the Black hole cRazY.
    y2pascoe:
    really, why would he?
    we are having an honest discussion about cigars.
    Alex is a reasonable person who understands that not every blender is for every person. if everyone liked the same cigars then Cigar.com would only have one listing in their brands list and the forum would be one dull place to hang out.

i think it takes balls to get on this forum and point out why you dislike one of the forum's favorite blenders. i respect that. he didnt say that AJ was a jerk, or that Alex was stupid for selling that blender's product. he said he was not a fan and explained why.

if i was Alex i might discuss what he has tried and what he has not tried and, based off of that conversation, maybe include something on the next order to change his mind. (and id probably end up running the site out of business. good thing im not Alex.)

in business you win some and you lose some.
    and
    you cant keep 100% of the people happy all of the time.
    y2pascoe:
    lollllllllllllllllll
    kuzi16:
    hey mods...
    can we show this guy the door?

just kidding.

its cool. not everyone likes every stick. there are a few big name brands that people **** after here that i could give two *** about. personal preference.

....ha ha
    ...mods... thats a good one....
    I completely agree (except for the door thing lol), Im also not a huge TAT fan or DE fan but there are some sticks from each brand that I do like, I just don't like enough blends to call myself a fan of the brands.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Smokindaddy:
    beatnic:
    Maybe before you depict me at a snob, open up a google page and research cigar history. mainly the 20's through the 50's. I like WW2 history, so what does that make me? Remember, snobby has already been used.
    I could care less about cigar history, only the age of the one I'm smoking, and I'm certainly not going to buy a stick because the name has a history. Do you not like AJ sticks because they have a limited history. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that things other than price and flavor influence your choice. And what really bothers me is that you START a thread just to trash one particular blender. There are lots of blenders I don't care for, so I just don't smoke them. Would you pass the Grey Poupon, please?
    Smokindaddy, we shoudl talk my friend. I also agree totally with your assessment of Tat's......If you also think Padillas suck and ever Torano is average we may have the same palate.
    Beat.....you might be getting a little bent out of shape over a guys opinion man, and someone loves a hobby may be different to another-----just sayin
    Vulchor:
    Smokindaddy, we shoudl talk my friend. I also agree totally with your assessment of Tat's......If you also think Padillas suck and ever Torano is average we may have the same palate.
    LOL...me too... Not a huge Tat fan at all...and I love DPG's stuff. I really like the El T brown lancero and I loved the MExican Experiment, otherwise I just cannot get into them. Other then the 50 year, not a Torano fan either. I do like the Padilla Miami though, but that is it from that line.
    beatnic:
    Jason is about the least elitisit and snobby person I know lol
    Fuente SUCKS...there I said it, and I feel better now. Just don't ask for my Rosado's or Opus lol
    Vulchor:
    Beat.....you might be getting a little bent out of shape over a guys opinion man, and someone loves a hobby may be different to another-----just sayin
    even though we disagree on so many things, its moments like these that remind me why we keep you around this joint. lol
    Vulchor:
    Jiunn's hobby involves pooping
    But you have to admit his advertising Rocks!!! ;o)
    catfishbluezz:
    Fuente SUCKS...there I said it, and I feel better now. Just don't ask for my Rosado's or Opus lol
    +1. when Jason and I first talked, I immediately took out my recorder just to listen to his soothing voice. I play it to sleep on a nightly basis
    catfishbluezz:
    Vulchor:
    not to be TMI but I called sick into work today b/c I am incredibly constipated... started yesterday afternoon and I would say after that avo I just had, I feel a bit better
    The Kid:
    But you have to admit his advertising Rocks!!! ;o)
    YUP...LOL
    beatnic:
    Smokindaddy:
    beatnic:
    I could care less about cigar history, only the age of the one I'm smoking, and I'm certainly not going to buy a stick because the name has a history. Do you not like AJ sticks because they have a limited history. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that things other than price and flavor influence your choice. And what really bothers me is that you START a thread just to trash one particular blender. There are lots of blenders I don't care for, so I just don't smoke them. Would you pass the Grey Poupon, please?
    The age or price of AJ sticks has nothing to do with not liking them. Read the review again, Its the BLEND of all his sticks. They all taste the same to me, they offer no difference or complexity. They are over hyped beyond belief. I learned the history behind the hobby because I enjoy it more then picking out stick and lighting up. And yes I picked on particular blender to write a review on, am I not doing it in the right forum, does the top of this thread not say reviews???? Cause if there is another thread that I should be stating how much I don't like AJ blends and sticks, by all means, please let me know. Judging by your latest response, something tells me you have plenty of Grey Poupon to go around!
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    Vulchor:
    not to be TMI but I called sick into work today b/c I am incredibly constipated... started yesterday afternoon and I would say after that avo I just had, I feel a bit better
    Next time when you need quick relief try a MF le Bijou,,gauranteed or your money back!!