Home Non Cigar Related
Options

I'm hurting, guys......

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

The young warrior you see on the left in the photo above was my favorite nephew, Chase Marta. The only son of my youngest brother and sister-in-law.

The last time I saw him was at Christmastime, when he was home on leave. At that time, he was still stationed ar Ft. Benning, GA. waiting for orders. He was later deployed to a FOB somewhere in Afghanistan.

This past Sunday, he and two other soldiers were in a vehicle that encountered an IED. He was medevac'ed out and died a couple hours later. The two men with him died as well.

When I last talked with him he was telling me how happy he was with the Army. He had signed up for Ranger school but, like a lot of other young men, washed out of that very tough program. He was assigned to the 82nd Airborne and was telling me of the number of times he had voluntarily bailed out of a perfectly good airplane with 70 lbs. of equipment tied to his body. He explained that after his chute opened, he'd pull a release and the equipment would drop free of his body and fall to the end of a rope still secured to him. The equipment would hit the ground just before he did. I was amazed and very proud of this young man. He'd have been 25 in July.

Side note to RCY: I smoked that Room 101 you gave me, Rick, along with an extra glass of bourbon, in Chase's honor. It seemed appropriate. It was just a pup of a cigar, not yet grown up to a churchill - or even a toro. Chase was just a pup, too, not really having a chance to see a full, rewarding life. I cried while I smoked it and I'm crying now, as I write this. I see no shame in it.

Sorry to get all maudlin on you guys but I wanted you to know about the too-short life of a very loved and brave young man.

Comments

• Options
    rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    So sorry for your loss brother!
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the loss brother. And to Chase.....Blue sky's my friend
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Sorry to hear we lost another defender of our freedom. Too many lost.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    My sympathies to you and the young mans family. RIP Chase Marta.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear about this, brother. My thoughts go out to you, your family, and everyone else who knew Chase.
    May he rest peacefully.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Very sorry to hear about your loss; I'll raise a cigar and a glass for him tonight, along with a belated VE-day anniversary
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Wow, this is so sad. I hate hearing stories like this. My heart is sad for you and your family Marty. One day I hope we find ourselves in a place where we don't feel the need to send our young son's and daughters into these types of situations.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I'm really sorry for your loss , sir
  • Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    I'm deeply sorry for your loss Marty. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a sad story my brother. I know this is a rough time for you. I can't imagine how your brother is holding up. But I know he's got you to lean on when he needs a steadying hand. My prayers for the both of you and your families.
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    No shame, Man! I hurt with you! It's apparent that you come from noble stock. Words cannot express how sorry I am. Prayers sent.

• Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty, it is the men and women like your nephew that I am so supportive of the DCCC. It is their bravery and willingness to put their lives out there every minute of every day so I can enjoy the freedom that I do. I am very sorry to hear of your loss but out sounds like your nephew died doing what he wanted to do in life, serve and defend his country, which is a very noble and seemingly unrewarded calling. My next donation to the DCCC will be made in honor of your nephew.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss, brother. May he rest in peace. Godspeed to you and yours through this tough time.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss. Many prayers to you and your family.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    That's awful. I'm sorry to hear it Marty. My condolences.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    My sincerest condolences Marty. I will be praying for you and the entire family my friend, and if there's anything at all I can do for you please let me know.

• Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    So saddened to hear this. Based on the photo and what you wrote it appears that he really lived while he was alive. That's alot. I will say a prayer tonight for him and all your family.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Smoking a MOW Armada with my favorite beer right now; for your loss and for the anniversary of VE day. For all the troops who've fought and for those who've died in the fight for freedom, "thank you" just doesn't seem enough; words can't convey the gratitude. There's a special place in Heaven for those who risked it all and those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
  • Options
    Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss brother! My family and I will keep you and yours in our thought and prayers! May God be with you all!!! RIP Chase Marta !!!!!
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    So sorry to hear it Marty. God Bless my friend!
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts and prayers are with you Marty and your family....
  • Options
    LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Very sorry for your loss, Marty. My thoughts are with you and yours.
  • Options
    GreenMachineGreenMachine Posts: 483
    Sorry for your loss!! Our prayers are with you and your loved ones!!!
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Sorry for your loss
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Marty, my heart is heavy hearing this news. Prayers for you and your family and Chases family. Chase was a true Patriot and like many Patriots before him he cared enough about this nation of ours and gave something that many others just talk about doing. Thank you Chase for your sacrifice and serving this country with Honor.

• Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss, their are no words that can represent the sadness i feel for you and your family. Thoughts and prayers from my family to yours.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Very sorry to hear about your loss; I'll raise a cigar and a glass for him tonight, along with a belated VE-day anniversary

+1 to this. A drink and a smoke in honor of your nephew and a fallen comrade. I truly sadden to hear of your loss, brother. Prayers to you and your family.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    What a terrible hurt and loss to bear , prayers to yours and Chases families brother .
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one of the real true heroes, prayers for the family and friends and may he rest in peace!