Home Cigar 101

Burn problem

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
Forever now, I've had the same burn problem for probably 85% of the cigars I smoke. One side ends up further down than the other. It is pretty much always the "bottom" that burns slower (I'm a bit OCD, I tend to hold it so the front of the band is on top). On the plus I think I get longer ashes I think because it has a little shelf of varying size to sit on. On the minus, though, WTF. I'm not even sure I should say one side burns faster...it doesn't really change in length over the life of the cigar...just this constant vaguely U-shaped burn...but even when I correct by taking flame to the bottom it tends to return.

I know this has to be user error and I somehow doubt the problem is in my humidor because this has happened out of many humidors, B&M's, and like I said it doesn't happen EVERY time. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    IMO, my first thought was humidity. After seeing that you have this problem for cigars from different locations, it could be as simple as they way you are lighting it. An uneven light could be a potential cause however one would think the cigar would even out over time. Another thought is that you could be rushing the smoke. How long does it normally take for you to smoke a cigar?
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I think I smoke fairly slowly, I take 40-60 min. to smoke a corona. Also when I ash there is usually minimal coning. I think it's probably the light and I tend to have less of a problem when I use a torch rather than matches. Any advice on how to get an even light?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rotate your cigar. dont always hold it in the same position. if there are factors likw ind involved, this will influence the burn. to help me rotate as i smoke i take the band off. i have no idea what way is "up"
    also rotate them in you humidor. the band does not have to be facing up.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Do you hold the stick, or put it down?
    If you're a holder (like I am) How are you holding the stick?
    Is it at 45 degrees? is it parallel to the ground? Straight up and down?
    If you're getting an uneven light, and then you're holing the stick at 45 degrees for the entire smoke, without any rotation, well, that could be a problem.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have found that lighting tends to effect this greatly. getting a good even start usually works out better but most cigars will correct themselves over the course of the smoke
    Good advice, guys, thanks for that. Kuzi, I'll definitely start rotating them more in the humidor and out. I guess now I can convince the wife that I need more practice... ;)
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Practice, practice, practice. I tend to toast the foot, then once its sat for a minute or two I clip the cap, start drawing while I use my torch and slowly rotate the cigar while I'm lighting it. Once I have made a rotation or two, I pause and check my work. Wash, rinse, and repeat if needed.
    Once its going I set it done and watch it to make sure I haven't missed an parts that might need "touched" up. If all is good, kick back and enjoy!
    I have to admit I find myself rotating the cigar a lot while I smoke. The band stays on until no longer needed but I tend to always sit it down in a different spot on the cigar. Just my .02 cents, I know everyone has a different procedure.
    RampMonkey:
    Practice, practice, practice. I tend to toast the foot, then once its sat for a minute or two I clip the cap, start drawing while I use my torch and slowly rotate the cigar while I'm lighting it. Once I have made a rotation or two, I pause and check my work. Wash, rinse, and repeat if needed.
    Once its going I set it done and watch it to make sure I haven't missed an parts that might need "touched" up. If all is good, kick back and enjoy!
    I have to admit I find myself rotating the cigar a lot while I smoke. The band stays on until no longer needed but I tend to always sit it down in a different spot on the cigar. Just my .02 cents, I know everyone has a different procedure.
    Maybe I rush things...I usually clip toast, light, start smoking, all in about a minute or two. Definitely gonna start changing things up and see what happens.
    kuzi16:
    showing my ignorance - but why do they need to be rotated in the humi?

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    kuzi16:

If they are butted up against each other or against the bottom of the shelf, the humidity can't reach there. I'd suppose given and infinite amount of time and perfect conditions it would eventually fix itself if the constants never changed, but as your humi changes so does the environment of your cigars. Thus, if you rotate them you can make sure that you are perverbially "Browning both sides of the Brat/Sausage"
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    KingoftheCove:
    kuzi16:

If they are butted up against each other or against the bottom of the shelf, the humidity can't reach there. I'd suppose given and infinite amount of time and perfect conditions it would eventually fix itself if the constants never changed, but as your humi changes so does the environment of your cigars. Thus, if you rotate them you can make sure that you are perverbially "Browning both sides of the Brat/Sausage"
    *Correction: "Can't reach there as well as the top
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    RampMonkey:
    Yeah I'll agree with Ramp here. Only in the last year have I realiized how important patience is during the lighting process. Once I started toasting the foot and spending the time to let it sit and then check to see if any spots we're missed, a lot of my burn issued went away, and now they mostly seem to self correct.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    My buddy has the same issues Ken. I try and try and TRY to tell him to SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW down. LOL. He laughs at me when I'm still toasting and just starting to enjoying my cigar and he's almost 2 inches in. /facepalm.
    That's really funny, I'm the slow one when I smoke with my one smoking buddy out here! He starts taunting me if it takes me more than one match and 5 seconds to get a light...

Seriously though, this has been a great help, thanks everyone.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rotate the cigar as you smoke it and if it starts to run a bit then keep the side that is burning faster up and the side burning slower down until it corrects itself and then continue rotating again. I wouldn't worry about rotating your sticks in the humi, that's an old wives tale; in a properly humidified humidor they are all getting humidification no problem and rotating them won't do anything to "improve" them but the excess handling can damage them and/or introduce oils, residue, dead skin, dirt ect from your hands that can lead to mold. If you insist on rotating your stock be sure to wear some disposable gloves or wash/dry your hands thoroughly before handling your cigars.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    CAcigarguy007:
    ...... If you insist on rotating your stock be sure to wear some disposable gloves or wash/dry your hands thoroughly before handling your cigars.
    .. Or, just leave the cello on..
    CAcigarguy007:
    Rotate the cigar as you smoke it and if it starts to run a bit then keep the side that is burning faster up and the side burning slower down until it corrects itself.......
    really?? I thought it was just the opposite.......I really am a noob........
    KingoftheCove:
    CAcigarguy007:
    Rotate the cigar as you smoke it and if it starts to run a bit then keep the side that is burning faster up and the side burning slower down until it corrects itself.......
    Being that you're from Santa Cruz and all, it is the opposite of what we do with joints....lol. J/K man,......kinda :) But seriously the bottom dose burn a tad quicker since there isn't smoke which runs off the top. Turning while puffing is the best solution/prevention though.
    CAcigarguy007:
    KingoftheCove:
    CAcigarguy007:
    Being that you're from Santa Cruz and all, it is the opposite of what we do with joints....lol. J/K man,......kinda :) But seriously the bottom dose burn a tad quicker since there isn't smoke which runs off the top. Turning while puffing is the best solution/prevention though.
    But...your solution is my problem...the top's burning faster...I'd rotate the part that's not burning to the bottom...but it's already there. Also, heat rises, so the laws of physics are against your here...
    Ken Light:
    CAcigarguy007:
    KingoftheCove:
    CAcigarguy007:
    But...your solution is my problem...the top's burning faster...I'd rotate the part that's not burning to the bottom...but it's already there. Also, heat rises, so the laws of physics are against your here...
    Yes, but fire science is on my side. Fire needs oxygen to burn, the bottom of the cigar will burn faster (as it has access to more oxygen) than the top. Google it if you'd like; but it's on you man, just trying to help a BOTL out but it looks like you got it all figured out.
    CAcigarguy007:
    Ken Light:
    CAcigarguy007:
    KingoftheCove:
    CAcigarguy007:
    Yes, but fire science is on my side. Fire needs oxygen to burn, the bottom of the cigar will burn faster (as it has access to more oxygen) than the top. Google it if you'd like; but it's on you man, just trying to help a BOTL out but it looks like you got it all figured out.
    No need to get all snippy, I was just pointing out that your advice would lead me to put the slow end on the bottom, where it already is. I figured someone who'd essentially call another guy a stupid pothead and then only half take it back would be able to take a little less serious interaction. My bad, now I know.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I can interject my two cents worth, he's right, Ken. I didn't believe it either when I was first told to move the slower burning side to the bottom. Didn't make sense to me - heat rises, right? But it does work. I can vouch for it.
    jlmarta:
    If I can interject my two cents worth, he's right, Ken. I didn't believe it either when I was first told to move the slower burning side to the bottom. Didn't make sense to me - heat rises, right? But it does work. I can vouch for it.
    I appreciate the interjection, and good to know he's right, but it also doesn't do a thing to solve the problem since in my case slow-burning side is already on the bottom. It does, perhaps, tell me that how I'm holding the cigar is not the issue. Probably the light then.
    Ken Light:
    jlmarta:
    I appreciate the interjection, and good to know he's right, but it also doesn't do a thing to solve the problem since in my case slow-burning side is already on the bottom. It does, perhaps, tell me that how I'm holding the cigar is not the issue. Probably the light then.

Maybe so. I can't really speak to that since I'll only use a torch and am pretty particular about the completeness of the light - maybe that's why I don't have many burn problems.
  • howtobasshowtobass Posts: 589
    jlmarta:
    Ken Light:
    jlmarta:

Maybe so. I can't really speak to that since I'll only use a torch and am pretty particular about the completeness of the light - maybe that's why I don't have many burn problems.
    I'm curious now. What's your method? Right now i'm just using a BIC, I have a torch waiting for me when I return home. It would be nice to have a method to the madness, and not totally look like a noob while trying to light one up. Thanks!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    howtobass:
    jlmarta:
    Ken Light:
    jlmarta:

I'm curious now. What's your method? Right now i'm just using a BIC, I have a torch waiting for me when I return home. It would be nice to have a method to the madness, and not totally look like a noob while trying to light one up. Thanks!
    NOT beating on you at all Bass, but STOP THIS INSANT using your BIC... the chemicals that the BIC when lighting puts into your cigar COMPLETELY changes it... either use a butane torch (quicker and normally more consistent light of the gar) OR a match AFTER the match has burned off the lighting chemicals (3-5 seconds). The match is for sure the "purest" way to light it as it induces zero chemicals into the tobacco. Not an issue that you have done it up to this point, but if you can change it, it will be a much richer and more enjoyable experience my friend. Just trying to help a fellow BORK who is risking his life so we CAN enjoy what we do every day back here in the States. Thanks a lot man, trust me you and your comrades are MY heroes! -- Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • howtobasshowtobass Posts: 589
    90+ Irishman:
    howtobass:
    jlmarta:
    Ken Light:
    jlmarta:

NOT beating on you at all Bass, but STOP THIS INSANT using your BIC... the chemicals that the BIC when lighting puts into your cigar COMPLETELY changes it... either use a butane torch (quicker and normally more consistent light of the gar) OR a match AFTER the match has burned off the lighting chemicals (3-5 seconds). The match is for sure the "purest" way to light it as it induces zero chemicals into the tobacco. Not an issue that you have done it up to this point, but if you can change it, it will be a much richer and more enjoyable experience my friend. Just trying to help a fellow BORK who is risking his life so we CAN enjoy what we do every day back here in the States. Thanks a lot man, trust me you and your comrades are MY heroes! -- Brett
    I thought BIC was bad too until someone here said it is butane gas, which is the same as many torch lighters, so that's why I continued to use the BIC.
    Whoa! Now you've got me all curious, Brett. I'll admit that chemistry and physics aren't my long suits, but please explain to me the difference between a Bic and a torch regarding the "chemicals" they induce into the tobacco. I mean, they're both burning butane albeit one of them is under greater pressure than the other. So I don't understand your point.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Whoa! Now you've got me all curious, Brett. I'll admit that chemistry and physics aren't my long suits, but please explain to me the difference between a Bic and a torch regarding the "chemicals" they induce into the tobacco. I mean, they're both burning butane albeit one of them is under greater pressure than the other. So I don't understand your point.
    Thanks for the interest guys, to make sure that I pass along the correct info I am going to dig back through the textbooks, but I BELIEVE (without researcheing it YET) that the PRESSURE creates a much hotter burn and more completely combusts the butane. The hotter a burn under greater amounts of pressure will ALWAYS result in a more complete burn with less by-product residual chemicals. Yes butane is butane, but when burned at a greater pressure and heat it combusts more completely and interacts the the atmosphere in a different way. Studied all of this at great length when I was doing my 4 years stint at CSM. Truth be told I am no expert but I believe that I might have a little more insight than the average bear. Get back to you soon for the FACTS not just my opinion, and you know what everyone says about opinions... lol
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Cool. I'm anxious to learn about this. Thanks muchly....