Home Non Cigar Related

Would you name your kid a phrase?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Their full name is a phrase, or an otherwise separate meaning, thus turning their child into a living alternate connotation.
North West?
A defunct airline or a geographical reference?
Treasure Hunt?
I'm thinkin' buried treasure. Pirate booty? "Searching for booty"?. (Mom, Dad, You didn't think this through did you?? Poor kid.)

Comments

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    There was an NBA player named "World B. Free" back in the 80s. But I don't think he was born with that name....
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    There was an NBA player named "World B. Free" back in the 80s. But I don't think he was born with that name....
    Yep, there's another can o' worms for ya'. But these children don't deserve it. I feel sorry for them.
    I actually feel a lot sorrier for kids with names like Michael Hunt.
    raisindot:
    I actually feel a lot sorrier for kids with names like Michael Hunt.
    LOL That reminds me of the Colonel Angus skit on SNL.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I met a Winter Fleury, once. The last name was of course pronounced as a homophone to "flurry". Went to school with a guy whose last name was D i c k. Glad his parents didn't try anything. They just named him John.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • So what's wrong with having a creative name?
    Hugh Jass:
    So what's wrong with having a creative name?
    This thread was not created for you. You were created for this thread.
  • Bob Luken:
    Hugh Jass:

Nahh, what makes you think so?
    Hugh Jass:
    Bob Luken:
    Hugh Jass:

Just a wild guess. But feel free to flesh out your bio. That should be fun.
    Bob Luken:
    Hugh Jass:
    Bob Luken:
    Hugh Jass:

Just a wild guess. But feel free to flesh out your bio. That should be fun.

Why do I have a feeling it's going to be suspiciously similar to Rain's? :)
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Their full name is a phrase, or an otherwise separate meaning, thus turning their child into a living alternate connotation.
    North West?
    Treasure Hunt?
    I'm thinkin' buried treasure. Pirate booty? "Searching for booty"?. (Mom, Dad, You didn't think this through did you?? Poor kid.)
    Someone told them they'd need to give their kid direction.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    And what about the folks who got cheated out of a full name? Jim Eddie Smith? Not James. Not Edward. On the birth certificate it's Jim Eddie Smith.
    Amos Umwhat:
    Bob Luken:
    North West?
    Treasure Hunt?
    Someone told them they'd need to give their kid direction.
    Oh yeah ;)
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Jeez...can't get a break! I always get "So what is Randy short for? Rudolph? Randall?" It's just Randy.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Can't say it's particularly interesting, but one thing my wife and I have taken into consideration with our future children is names that are easily translatable (She is Spanish, and nobody in her family speaks English). Reigning favorite for a boy is Guillermo (William) Anthony Hays (Anthony is from my own middle name, and my father's).
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    North West?
    Treasure Hunt?
    lol i think you will like this bit from lewis black, bob, if you haven't heard it already --- http://youtu.be/Z1mOFzv02lk

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Rain:
    Jeez...can't get a break! I always get "So what is Randy short for? Rudolph? Randall?" It's just Randy.
    Sorry Randy. It happened in my extended family. I changed the name but the story is the same.
    Hugh Jass:
    Nothing, it just means your parents hate you.I'm looking to hire someone...am I going to bring in John Joseph Williams or Lafwanda Bonifa Smith? Plus you get to spell it out...EVERY...SINGLE...TIME someone asks your name. "Um, like its Detiny. D - E - S - T - I - N - K - N - E - E - O. The O is silent."Umm...no. It's call language, and you fail. Other than that, it's great I'm sure :)Unless your Royln (Raw-lin) ;) I'm sure there is a reason, and it's true I only have a GED. I have no idea how ROY makes a RAW sound. Now if he likes his name, then good! I can see the appeal of a unique nickname...I'm just glad I don't have one and would never give my kids an outlandish/hard to say/spelled differently name. All of the above is, as always, my opinion. Hell, my daughter's name is Tera, and some people would say that's out there. 'tevsYEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOYYYY!!!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Hugh Jass:
    Nothing, it just means your parents hate you.I'm looking to hire someone...am I going to bring in John Joseph Williams or Lafwanda Bonifa Smith? Plus you get to spell it out...EVERY...SINGLE...TIME someone asks your name. "Um, like its Detiny. D - E - S - T - I - N - K - N - E - E - O. The O is silent."Umm...no. It's call language, and you fail. Other than that, it's great I'm sure :)Unless your Royln (Raw-lin) ;)

How about "Ladasha" spelled La-a.... The dash don't be silent.
    I was just thinking about this, and I don't like when someone says "It is pronounced..."No, YOU pronounce it that way. There are some rules that I had to sit through in first grade, and it is ACTUALLY pronounced this way. And then I think of bologna...who the hell made that word?
    Rain:
    ...... And then I think of bologna...who the hell made that word?

This is going off on a tangent, but in Italy, Bologna is pronounced Bolonya. The "gn" makes an "ny" sound as in lasagna or the island of Sardegna that we pronounce Sardinia. And gnocchi is pronounced 'nyockey' - it rhymes with hockey, not donkey....
    jlmarta:
    Rain:

This is going off on a tangent, but in Italy, Bologna is pronounced Bolonya. The "gn" makes an "ny" sound as in lasagna or the island of Sardegna that we pronounce Sardinia. And gnocchi is pronounced 'nyockey' - it rhymes with hockey, not donkey....
    Sorry but that sounds like a BUNCH a baloney! Again, very sorry.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    I am less worried about the ethnic names. there will always be ethnic names that are different than our white sensibilities, i am more upset at the eruption of crazy spellings for regular names or the adding of an EN to every god damn name.

like Michael being Myckiael but pronounced like michael or Brad becoming Bradien or something like that. The EN names drive me insane. Whatever happened to naming your daughter Mary or your boy Robert?
    Bob Luken:
    jlmarta:
    Rain:

Sorry but that sounds like a BUNCH a baloney! Again, very sorry.

LMAO!! Nope, it's all true. Honest..... ??
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    How about *** Trickle. Girl I know her father's name is Richard Swett, AKA *** Sweat, always amused me.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO.. just no. wouldn't tag my kid with something like that. When we started our kid making phase in our marriage, we decided nothing like that andnot to hit our kids with the whole 2nd or 3rd thing and no juniors, wanted them to have their own names But just our opinion .
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    I am less worried about the ethnic names. there will always be ethnic names that are different than our white sensibilities, i am more upset at the eruption of crazy spellings for regular names or the adding of an EN to every god damn name.

like Michael being Myckiael but pronounced like michael or Brad becoming Bradien or something like that. The EN names drive me insane. Whatever happened to naming your daughter Mary or your boy Robert?

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Can you imagine the Human Resources Person when these applications come up for open positions in a company. I would have a difficult time taking these people with creative names into consideration, at no fault of their own.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Always told the wife if we ever had a kid we'd name him Troy (Aikman) guess his middle name could a been Goes deep?
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    At least it rhymes with "candy!"