Home Cigar 101

Starting a Cigar shop.

I plan on Opening my own cigar shop what should I do. How should I start? Where do I get cigars to sell in my store and accessories? What else do I need to know?

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, if you do not love cigars, do not open a shop. I would assume if you did, you might know the answer to these questions. You would go through a tobacco distributor for those things. The best cigar shops are those that embrace, know, and love the culture. The rest, are not places I ever spend money at, and end up carrying hookahs, glass pipes, and vape to support their inability to sell cigars and compete with the internet.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smell fish. Maybe start a fish shop?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Buy and existing shop and stock it with overpriced DE stuff. Money!!!
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Open a cigar bar in Cleveland. I'll come visit.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    illegal in ohio....
    kuzi16:
    youngryan216:
    illegal in ohio....
    I was totally being facetious homeslice!
    Wait...is that an insult to his face?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tmp866:
    I plan on Opening my own cigar shop what should I do. How should I start? Where do I get cigars to sell in my store and accessories? What else do I need to know?
    Well, good for you. Coincidentally, I also plan on starting a business I know nothing about. I plan to build a skyscraper in the middle of nowhere. How should I start? Where do I get cranes and stuff? What else do I need to know?
  • You know I though this was a community site not a site for dicks. Thanks a lot ****
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tmp866:
    You know I though this was a community site not a site for dicks. Thanks a lot ****
    Haha. Go back and read the first reply.
  • Hey guess what do you even know me. I love cigars why the hell would I be trying to open my own place I just asked simple damn questions for people who maybe are more experienced.
    Tmp866:
    You know I though this was a community site not a site for dicks. Thanks a lot ****
    thought*
  • Why do you all act like your ten years old trying to tell off your parents with smart remarks. Like it makes you all over lord of the internet?
    Tmp866:
    Hey guess what do you even know me. I love cigars why the hell would I be trying to open my own place I just asked simple damn questions for people who maybe are more experienced.
    Check with your local shops for tobacco distributors in your area. Chances are, all the shops in a territory use the same distributors. Otherwise, you can get your own license and order direct. You could also make a phone call to a company like Xikar and ask whom distributes in the area, same with a brand like Quesada who distributes nationally through SAG. Call SAG, call Xikar.
  • Thank you. What am I suppose to be born knowing everything about opening a tobacco store. No I know cigars and where to get them for my personal use not to sell them. Why does anyone act like they are perfect?
    What part of the states are you in?
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the problem here was that your question came as your first post on the forum, bro. You're right about this being a community forum. It's a great place to build relationships and learn from each other and make friends with some great BOTLs. This is the most giving group of people I know. But we also get tons of trolls who start posting just to take advantage of others' generosity, or just to cause trouble.

So, it's best to introduce yourself, post a bio in the Newbie Welcoming Thread, interact with some folks and get to know them, maybe do a couple of trades... to let folks see that you are on the level.

Stick around and mix in with some of the threads. If you plan to open a cigar shop, there's no better place to learn than here.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Thanks man I didn't think about that.
  • Ohio but I am moving back to Louisiana next year.
    My bad.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    My bad.
    ^^^This is one of the trolls we keep around for our amusement. ;^)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • I guess I came off a little strong in the beginning. But No I am serious I find my love for cigars at 16 and I wanna end my life with them because I am not like the rest of America. Afraid to live my life with something I love and I make sure people know it. Like you guys I made sure I was being serious.
    Tmp866:
    Ohio but I am moving back to Louisiana next year.
    http://www.meierdutch.com/ is the distributor of this website, and many shops on the East Coast. they are one of the bigger distributors in the states. JMG international is another one on the West Coast, but I am not sure if they have reps down there. Those are the types of distributors you need to contact.
    Dupe post
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to represent fellas.
    Really. Wonderful job.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the smart ass reply on my part. You really didn't seem that serious. When we see something that looks like BS we pounce on it and it's not our best moments to be sure. We are actually kind and generous on this site. Stick around and take part. You'll see. The best advice I would give you is to make friends with actual cigar shop owners/managers. Take them out to dinner and pick their brain. Also study business practices in general. www.sba.gov and go to your local SBA. They may have mentoring/counseling. As I recall they are an association of retired businessmen. Good luck.
    Puff_Dougie:
    I think the problem here was that your question came as your first post on the forum, bro. You're right about this being a community forum. It's a great place to build relationships and learnrelationships from each other and make friends with some great BOTLs. This is the most giving group of people I know. But we also get tons of trolls who start posting just to take advantage of others' generosity, or just to cause trouble.

So, it's best to introduce yourself, post a bio in the Newbie Welcoming Thread, interact with some folks and get to know them, maybe do a couple of trades... to let folks see that you are on the level.

Stick around and mix in with some of the threads. If you plan to open a cigar shop, there's no better place to learn than here.

+1
    Best of luck.

My advice is to carry lots of Fuente stuff :)
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Way to represent fellas.
    Really. Wonderful job.
    Nice recovery though!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Puff_Dougie:
    I think the problem here was that your question came as your first post on the forum, bro. You're right about this being a community forum. It's a great place to build relationships and learnrelationships from each other and make friends with some great BOTLs. This is the most giving group of people I know. But we also get tons of trolls who start posting just to take advantage of others' generosity, or just to cause trouble.

+1
    Best of luck.

My advice is to carry lots of Fuente stuff :)
    What Dougie said.
    We'll see, you gotta start somewhere.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain