Home General Discussion

Swisher acquires Drew Estate

Comments

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Phillies will never be the same!

Aj
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one actually makes sense.....I think.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure JD can retire now. Nice payday
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lolimage
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should have been AJ
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Shows how honest the people of DE are! No we are not selling to swisher we'd let our customers know...and this not even a month later lol
    Money can't buy taste
    On a side note does this mean liga lounges are now swisher lounges?
    Money can't buy taste
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't this something that the FDA won't exactly like?

to me the timing of this is pretty **** considering the FDA hasn't announced their upconign regulations.

On the other hand maybe Swisher bought Drew because they knew their prepacakaged short filler flavored cigars were going to be a thing of the past, and wanted something to fall in the premium category they could monetize
    Eh. I dont mind it. Gives me a reason to "review" Ligas
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm Not sure how I should feel about this being new to this hobby I see the passion and artistry and time spent hand crafting things of beauty, and then I see gas station smokes that are all but nasty, DE paints a nice picture in that article but a year from now? Maybe IF Swisher can keep the nasty hands out of the mix and just be a parent company. I guess buy up now!
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I only like a couple of their cigars (some Liga and Herrera Esteli) and I usually don't smoke them since there are much better cigars out there for the price. I thought they were making some good company moves. I see their reps at our local BnM's, they sponsored CFest locally, bring in Willy Herrera and some new blends, Jon swears that the rumors are not true then a month later sells out to Swisher. I'm sure he got paid, so can't blame the guy for retiring early.

Donezie. I have a handful I will ship to DZR for review.
    rsherman24:
    Personally, I only like a couple of their cigars (some Liga and Herrera Esteli) and I usually don't smoke them since there are much better cigars out there for the price. I thought they were making some good company moves. I see their reps at our local BnM's, they sponsored CFest locally, bring in Willy Herrera and some new blends, Jon swears that the rumors are not true then a month later sells out to Swisher. I'm sure he got paid, so can't blame the guy for retiring early.

Donezie. I have a handful I will ship to DZR for review.
    I meant review his new stuff. Excited about some Wood tip Vitolas in Peach
    brianetz1:
    Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't this something that the FDA won't exactly like?

to me the timing of this is pretty **** considering the FDA hasn't announced their upconign regulations.

On the other hand maybe Swisher bought Drew because they knew their prepacakaged short filler flavored cigars were going to be a thing of the past, and wanted something to fall in the premium category they could monetize
    the FDA won't hurt swisher if they didn't join with de. The cigarillos would just get taxed like cigarettes so it wouldn't change much for companies that make the gas gars
    Money can't buy taste
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Mergers and acquisitions always Jack something up that was working. I'd be suprised if they don't go to crap in the coming years.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Creo que este noticias es malo. :(
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Personally, from a business stand point...smart move. DE got real big, real fast. I'd put dollars to donuts that they don't have the cash flow to stand up to the possible FDA sanctions. Swisher however, does.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    No_one21:
    come again?
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago I jokingly made such a remark. Who knew it would actually happen. Correction, i meant sam leccia. Maybe they will team up and form a new cigar company DrewLeccia.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    You've got to think about all the ribbing JD is going to get from smokers and competitors every time he shows his face at an event.

Since I've always felt JD's brands are overrated, I don't care much. But if they start putting out strawberry flavored Joya de Nicaraguas, there'll be hell to play....
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    tu habla ingles por favor. Gracias!
    No_one21:
    Nah ....7-11 = New BnM's. That's great news
    Here is my biggest question...does this mean people with DE accounts will have to also have a swisher account? I know when camacho was bought by davidoff all davidoff accounts had to order a certain amount of camacho stuff. If swisher goes this way IMO DE will lose a good amount of accounts! I mean how many high end b&m's with liga accounts will even want the word swisher mentioned in them. For the DE fanboys I really hope this will not affect any of the products but in many ways it probably will.
    Money can't buy taste
  • phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    I'm going to an event at my local B&M on Nov.4 and they are supposed to be there. Wonder if they will be giving away any Grape Swishers?
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they will pick up Back Woods.....
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing this more and more. I'm guessing the smaller guys are starting to get worried about the FDA. And it might be the only way their brands survive. And I can understand JD saying nothing was in the works, insider info laws and all that. You can get in big trouble. My company has been bought and sold half a dozen times and we never know for sure until it's a done deal.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    No_one21:
    Nah ....7-11 = New BnM's. That's great news
    ah hot diggity damn!

i mean, the papas fritas just showed that people will pay top dollar for a small-size, short-filler smoke simply because it's got the DE name plate attached to it

i will assume that this merger is only going to help swisher take their premeprimepreme short filler grape and orange wood tip bundles to the next level.

i can see it now, every speedway & marathon across the country will soon be selling limited edition short filler grape-infused maduro broadleaf wood tip feral flying pigs.

blunt wraps err, i mean "premium cigars" will never be the same.

well done drew estate....but more importantly, thanks obama

/s
    lol

good for jd. he's done a great job at marketing his product and has built a very successful business.
    the nirvana cigar, which was a partnership between de and swisher, already released received mostly good reviews, from what i've seen. i've yet to smoke one but i'm intrigued by the cameroon wrapper. i guess if that cigar is good, then it shows positive potential for this merger going forward.
    hopefully they're able to keep up with the quality and this doesn't negatively affect their cigars. i know there's a lot of "fanboys" who'd be upset if de products slip at all .... i don't smoke them very often so i probably wouldn't notice a small difference either way.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

I don't know why everyone is all upset. Beer, Slurpee, beef jerky, a full tank and an Undercrown all in one shot.
    ok I'll stop now ...

maybe
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    raisindot:
    You've got to think about all the ribbing JD is going to get from smokers and competitors every time he shows his face at an event.

Since I've always felt JD's brands are overrated, I don't care much. But if they start putting out strawberry flavored Joya de Nicaraguas, there'll be hell to play....

JdN is only marketed and distributed by DE.... or was. But that brings up a good point, who's gonna distribute for them now?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    raisindot:

JdN is only marketed and distributed by DE.... or was. But that brings up a good point, who's gonna distribute for them now?
    may be swisher. JdN is their own company as it is. they are just changing distributors.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an interesting dichotomy going on. Some companies like DE and Torano getting sucked up into big tobacco guys like General and Swisher... but also a lot of boutique brands coming out. Is the industry headed in the direction of little boutique brands or one company owns 70% of brands?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America