Home Non Cigar Related
Options

any other big game hunters

anybody else like to kill tasty critters.

Comments

• Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jeep edson:
    anybody else like to kill tasty critters.
    Like weasle; you know, it's the other yellow meat.
  • Options
    Lift603Lift603 Posts: 253
    Big deer hunter
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    i do my fair share from africa to new zealand. have a pronghorn hunt in new mexico in sept. my first speedgoat
  • Options
    Lift603Lift603 Posts: 253
    Wow that's cool. That must be some rush. My dad and uncles only hunt deer (whitetail) so that is all I really know but I would love to go on an elk hunt one of these days.
  • Options
    elk is on my wish list also. hopefully in 2 years kinda expensive for one animal.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    If it takes A breath it's fair game to me.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it barely fits in the bed of the truck, is it big game?

For those who want to hunt elk. If you plan on hunting in Oregon, let me know.
    My nephew loves to take people elk hunting and you pay for the fuel, beer and food and he'd be all over that. LOL! imageimage
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    If it barely fits in the bed of the truck, is it big game?

For those who want to hunt elk. If you plan on hunting in Oregon, let me know.
    My nephew loves to take people elk hunting and you pay for the fuel, beer and food and he'd be all over that. LOL! imageimage
    Very nice Tony! You just went up in my book! And as for a hunt with your brother, I'll supply that and the cigars!!!!
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I hunt deer and next year me and my old man are going to do an elk hunt.
  • Options
    Got this the old fashioned way.....by hand!!!image
  • Options
    My first deer and also, my only buck that I've taken. I've passed on a lot of deer over my years of hunting but still proud of this little guy!!!!image
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    Very nice Tony! You just went up in my book! And as for a hunt with your brother, I'll supply that and the cigars!!!!
    When you get ready, let me know. I can set you up with tons of guys to hunt with.
    I don't much hunt anymore. It seems that they know when I need the food and when I am hunting for sport and they don't like me hunting for sport much.

Also, realize that a full grown elk can get into the 800+ lb range, so best be prepared to be quartering and packing meat. And if you want it caped and stuffed, best let these guys know ahead of time and set it up locally. Having someone out of the area do an elk head can be very, very expensive. Still expensive here, but they're used to doing them and set up for it. It'd be like going to the dentist for a back ache.

And if you plan on hunting elk, get the info and put in for the draw way early.
    Seems to me that it's May. But I'd have to check on that.

Like I said, I know of at least 6 guys I can set you up with who would be happy to take you. Well, they'd take you cause I said to. LOL!

Oh yeah. That would also depend on if you want to go bow season or rifle.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Cazzie13Cazzie13 Posts: 48
    Whitetail hunter here, went on an elk hunt in Colorado few years back, didn't get anything but was an experience I'll never forget. Actually came across a picture of my first deer a few days back. If I ever figure out how to post a picture I'll add it.
  • Options
    Dude, that sounds awesome! I will totally hit you up once I get the cash flow back up! That is definitely on the bucket list!
  • Options
    Doc, to give you an idea.
    Here is a pic of my "grand" nephew last year's bow season.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience:
    Doc, to give you an idea.
    Here is a pic of my "grand" nephew last year's bow season.

AWESOME!!!!!! Man, that has got me super excited! I am starting to fill the piggy bank!!!
  • Options
    And then there is the elusive blacktail deer that runs here. If you feel lucky, you can try your luck at them. LOL! That is, if you can see them.
    The blacktail are ghosts. They can be there one second and gone the next.
    They know how to use the underbrush to their advantage. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    oh whoa! so.. not to ask a dumb question... you eat all that? what does it taste like? and dont say chicken
  • Options
    The elk and deer? Absolutely I eat it. Venison and elk are excellent food!

When my wife and I first got married, I saved a fortune by hunting. A hundred pounds of venison and a few hunded pounds of elk meat go a long way. My boys grew up on venison stew and steaks.
    It's not a lot different than beef, just has more flavor to it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    haha that's super awesome. I'm a typical consumer such that I buy all my meats from the store. I did buy ostrich meat but haven't cooked it yet. It's some ostrich steak... This is what true unadulterated meat eating should be I think. Except I don't hunt. very cool!
  • Options
    Game meat is.....well, gamey.
    A lot of it is the preparation too. I tend to like venison, antelope, buffalo, elk and those, because they aren't processed meats. It's as pure to what we should be eating as we can get.

Venison jerky is probably my all time favorite food, next to a good smoked salmon. LOL!

If I were given a choice, I'd chose venison over beef any day and if buffalo is there, well, It's MINE!! LOL!

Just as cigars have so many different "blends" and flavors, game meat is so similar. I can't cook to save my life, but I can eat with the best of them. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I've been hunting whitetails since I was 12. Someday might want to go Moose or Elk hunting.
  • Options
    nice stuff guys. i've killed a few red stag in new zealand but no elk yet. cape buff in africa etc but i still love bow season for deer. we also killl alot of gators here in florida. i just got an 11'6'' rug back and it takes up the whole living room. you talk about the size of elk. i almost shat myself when i shot my bison. now that is alot of meat. wild game meat would make a interesting addition to a bomb. haha
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, where you from, Jeep? What part of the country?
  • Options
    0patience:
    A lot of it is the preparation too. I tend to like venison, antelope, buffalo, elk and those, because they aren't processed meats. It's as pure to what we should be eating as we can get.

Venison jerky is probably my all time favorite food, next to a good smoked salmon. LOL!

If I were given a choice, I'd chose venison over beef any day and if buffalo is there, well, It's MINE!! LOL!

Just as cigars have so many different "blends" and flavors, game meat is so similar. I can't cook to save my life, but I can eat with the best of them. LOL!

I've killed deer and elk and IMO once you've tasted elk you'll throw rocks at beef. Deer, not so much. Maybe okay for sausage or jerky but other than that, you can have my share. Even if you were able to remove absolutely every trace of deer fat it still tastes rancid. And if you want to talk "gamey", try a bite of cougar. Tough, stringy, gamey to the nth degree. Not my choice for dinner.
  • Options
    tampa area of florida.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    jlmarta:
    0patience:

I've killed deer and elk and IMO once you've tasted elk you'll throw rocks at beef. Deer, not so much. Maybe okay for sausage or jerky but other than that, you can have my share. Even if you were able to remove absolutely every trace of deer fat it still tastes rancid. And if you want to talk "gamey", try a bite of cougar. Tough, stringy, gamey to the nth degree. Not my choice for dinner.
    Have you ever canned your deer meat? If you get most of the fat out, it is great.
  • Options
    Roberto99:
    jlmarta:
    0patience:

Have you ever canned your deer meat? If you get most of the fat out, it is great.

Never tried it. H3ll, I've never been able to get all the fat out. But then, that was many years ago - before my cardiologist said I couldn't hunt any more. Maybe there's a way to do it, now.
  • Options
    try cooking a backstrap like you would a tuna loin. just sear on all sides leaving extremely rare in middle. slice then. dip in fav game sauce and you will never want it another way.
  • Options
    jlmarta:

We go through elk sausage like crazy. It doesn't last very long around here. LOL!
    I like deer for jerky because there are a lot more smaller pieces we can use for the jerky.
    Most the small stuff on elk goes to stew meat or sausage.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: