Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Resurrecting the MYSTERY STICK game

jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
Haven't seen this game around for a while now, but it was a fun one.
(Previous threads here: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/103556.aspx, http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/630789.aspx)

This basically works like a blind "PIF"....
The rules are simple:

Step 1...

Step 2...
Receive 3 unbanded cigars -- marked A, B, and C from the person "before" you. (use humidified shipping please)

Step 3...
Receiving person smokes cigars, posts up a mini-review, and guesses what they are.
(I would like to see them smoked & guess/review posted within 10 days of receiving package, so we can keep the game moving along).

Step 4...send out to next person.

Easy enough?

So who wants to play?
(I'll include a couple extra for the first person who signs up to get the ball rolling & I'll plan on shipping out Monday 3/9.)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm definitely in for something like this.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Sure, sounds like fun. Count me in.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    I'm definitely in for something like this.
    AWESOME!!! Thanks for going first, Brad. I will get to the PO on Monday when I get back in town.
    The address I have for you is Paul Dr....is that still correct?

Please plan on sending out to Jason blutattoo once your finished.

Yes that is correct. Look forward to this and Jason, pm me your addy so I have it when the time comes.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    PM sent
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to watching this, don't have the free time or pallet to play.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Yeah seems cool! But I don't have much time either. I feel bad enough for not smokin the MOWs for Kens badge. I haven't forgotten, Ken!

will be neat to see the guesses. I'd imagine it is challenging to nail down.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Ken Light:
    Yeah seems cool! But I don't have much time either. I feel bad enough for not smokin the MOWs for Kens badge. I haven't forgotten, Ken!

Hey man, I haven't even smoked them for my own badge yet. Life! LoL
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Gray4lines:
    Ken Light:

Hey man, I haven't even smoked them for my own badge yet. Life! LoL
    Hey, it's your pass. You can do whatever the f**k you want!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    9405903699300374593747 (usps says it should get there wed)
    On it's way to you, Brad. Thanks for kicking this off !

This showed up today. I will get a picture up later of the 3 mystery sticks and let you know what I can come up with.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

avengethis:
    This showed up today. I will get a picture up later of the 3 mystery sticks and let you know what I can come up with.
    glad they made it .... looking forward to your guesses.

hope you'll have as much fun with this game as i did when i was trying to guess the sticks many moons ago.

Hoping to maybe tackle the first one tonight. image
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

avengethis:
    Hoping to maybe tackle the first one tonight.
    Have a chance to fire any up this past weekend?

jgibv:
    avengethis:
    No, I apologize. Tonight for sure. My weekend got away from me with traveling for basketball and then getting sucked into spending time with the in-laws.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

avengethis:
    jgibv:
    avengethis:
    No, I apologize. Tonight for sure. My weekend got away from me with traveling for basketball and then getting sucked into spending time with the in-laws.
    don't sweat it bro. just wanted to make sure i didn't miss your review/guess if you had posted it somewhere else.

Cigar A tonight. 5.5 x 40 - Very nice size stick for the night. I'm pairing it with a pour of FourRoses Small Batch and a New Glarus Brewing Black Top which is a Black IPA.

**Disclaimer - My palate is not super refined so picking up flavors is not the best but this will be a good way to help me try.**

Upon inspection the construction looks nice with no real veins running through it. The cap is also well placed on the cigar.

Cigar is cut with a Xikar xi3 and lit with a table top torch lighter. First couple draws I am getting an almost Barnyard type flavor from it. (not in a horse sh*t way) Definitely something I dont think I have really tasted much in a cigar before. It is continuing with that flavor through the first third and is producing a very dry type of flavor. Tons of smoke output which I am really liking. I would classify it as a medium body smoke.

I am now into the second third of the smoke and i am starting to pick up a slight coffee note along side the earthy barnyard flavor. It also has a little cocoa flavor creeping in as well. It is mellowing out very nicely.

My Guess - Alec Bradley American Sun Grown
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

avengethis:
    Cigar A tonight. 5.5 x 40 - Very nice size stick for the night. I'm pairing it with a pour of FourRoses Small Batch and a New Glarus Brewing Black Top which is a Black IPA.

**Disclaimer - My palate is not super refined so picking up flavors is not the best but this will be a good way to help me try.**

Upon inspection the construction looks nice with no real veins running through it. The cap is also well placed on the cigar.

Cigar is cut with a Xikar xi3 and lit with a table top torch lighter. First couple draws I am getting an almost Barnyard type flavor from it. (not in a horse sh*t way) Definitely something I dont think I have really tasted much in a cigar before. It is continuing with that flavor through the first third and is producing a very dry type of flavor. Tons of smoke output which I am really liking. I would classify it as a medium body smoke.

I am now into the second third of the smoke and i am starting to pick up a slight coffee note along side the earthy barnyard flavor. It also has a little cocoa flavor creeping in as well. It is mellowing out very nicely.

Dang sorry I missed this yesterday Brad; thanks for the PM about it.

Enjoyed the write up and nice pic there too.
    I agree with the flavors you've found, this one is pretty unique.
    The first one of these I ever smoked I could have sworn it had a freshly-baked, yeasty, buttered dinner roll flavor to it, very unique indeed.

This one was the JdN Celebracion Consul....(this one has a couple yrs of age on it, I got them back in spring of 2013, so that might have thrown you off a little)
    Hope you enjoyed the cigar, it's one of my favorites.

jgibv:
    avengethis:

Dang sorry I missed this yesterday Brad; thanks for the PM about it.

Enjoyed the write up and nice pic there too.
    I agree with the flavors you've found, this one is pretty unique.
    The first one of these I ever smoked I could have sworn it had a freshly-baked, yeasty, buttered dinner roll flavor to it, very unique indeed.

This one was the JdN Celebracion Consul....(this one has a couple yrs of age on it, I got them back in spring of 2013, so that might have thrown you off a little)
    Hope you enjoyed the cigar, it's one of my favorites.

I just want to confirm this with you. I looked up that stick and it shows it as a 4.5x52. The one I had was definitely 5.5" and was around a 40 ring gauge. Is it possible that is the wrong version of it. Or did they maybe change names since you bought this?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

avengethis:
    I just want to confirm this with you. I looked up that stick and it shows it as a 4.5x52. The one I had was definitely 5.5" and was around a 40 ring gauge. Is it possible that is the wrong version of it. Or did they maybe change names since you bought this?
    Ok yes, sorry about that.
    It is definitely the JdN Celebracion. Corona size. Thought that size was called the "Consul" but looks like that's not the case --- I've been calling it wrong for a couple years now LOL.

Not a problem I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. Thanks again for the update and like I said. Tonight will be stick B.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    avengethis:
    Ok yes, sorry about that.
    It is definitely the JdN Celebracion. Corona size. Thought that size was called the "Consul" but looks like that's not the case --- I've been calling it wrong for a couple years now LOL.
    Both those sizes are fantastic! I need to get more of these since they are being kinda sorta "discontinued" from what I was told recently.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    image Mystery Stick B - 5.75x56 - Appears to be another Habano wrapper

Pairing with a pour of Glenfiddich 15 year and a glass of Old Chub Nitro Charged Scottish ale.

Pre light smell has a nutty cocoa note to it. Again I used the Xikar Xi2.

I'm pretty sure this is a MoW Ruination? I know I have had this stick multiple times and I'm almost positive on this one.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Yeah I'd bet you're right. It sure looks like it.
    I'll get your 3 out to you tomorrow Jason. By the time they get to you I will be done with number 3.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

avengethis:
    I'll get your 3 out to you tomorrow Jason. By the time they get to you I will be done with number 3.
    Sounds good, can't wait.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Im not near good enough to identify any specific cigar so if ya wouldnt mind i would like to send to someone at some point. Maybe get 2 people going at once
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea John. I always enjoyed this game.
    avengethis:
    image Mystery Stick B - 5.75x56 - Appears to be another Habano wrapper

Pairing with a pour of Glenfiddich 15 year and a glass of Old Chub Nitro Charged Scottish ale.

Pre light smell has a nutty cocoa note to it. Again I used the Xikar Xi2.

I'm pretty sure this is a MoW Ruination? I know I have had this stick multiple times and I'm almost positive on this one.
    DING DING DING!! Winner winner chicken dinner. CORRECT: Great guess bro!

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I'll probably get to number 3 tomorrow.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!