Home General Discussion
Options

new to the lifestyle

Hey, I'm wanting to starts smoking and have bought a humidor. What is a good quality mild cigar that would go good with a glass of good bourbon? I really hate to spend a lot of money on a smoke that I wouldn't like. Any advise would help, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome. Avo domaine and a bottle of pappy van winkel 12 yr to cap it off. Bliss
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey-o Ryan,
    Welcome to the hobby and to the forums. Most bourbons are going to be a bit heavy on the palate, so a real "mild" cigar isn't going to be the best pairing. That doesn't mean you have to hit the other end of the spectrum, though. For easy accessibility, perhaps try a Rocky Patel Vintage '92 and a glass of Four Roses.

-Hays
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ryanjo1111:
    Hey, I'm wanting to starts smoking and have bought a humidor. What is a good quality mild cigar that would go good with a glass of good bourbon? I really hate to spend a lot of money on a smoke that I wouldn't like. Any advise would help, thanks.
    Check out this great Cigar.com article regarding bourbon pairing: http://www.cigar.com/catalog/featuredArticles.asp?artnum=16

And I'd agree with Hays --- the flavors from a "mild smoke" will be washed out behind the bourbon's stronger flavors. I'd go with a smoke that's more toward the medium, medium-full range.

I really like a DPG smoke with a glass of bourbon.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Maduros are great with bourbon. Choose a strength and tell your local tobacconist to steer you in the right direction. USUALLY these guys are honest businessmen.

My $0.02 is, try a Padron 1964 Maduro. I find it worked well as a pairing smoke when I was hittin' the sauce. Nothing overly spicy or offensive, but eat a big meal if you are a truly newbie smoker.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    youngryan216:
    My $0.02 is, try a Padron 1964 Maduro. I find it to worked well as a pairing smoke when I was hittin' the sauce.
    I second the maduro suggestion, but the '64 maduro might be a bit heavy for someone looking for mild cigars (IMO)

""The end of a truly great cigar is somber, as if saying goodbye to a friend who had time to sit and listen."
    This, however, is a beautiful quote man! Where's that from?

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Hays:
    youngryan216:
    My $0.02 is, try a Padron 1964 Maduro. I find it to worked well as a pairing smoke when I was hittin' the sauce.
    I second the maduro suggestion, but the '64 maduro might be a bit heavy for someone looking for mild cigars (IMO)
    Interesting. I find it on the lighter end of my maduro tastes. Maybe something like a Perdomo Lot 23 maduro churchill? Strap in for a long after dinner treat!
  • Options
    youngryan216:
    Hays:
    youngryan216:
    Interesting. I find it on the lighter end of my maduro tastes. Maybe something like a Perdomo Lot 23 maduro churchill? Strap in for a long after dinner treat!
    Well that's where the subjectivity of taste comes into play - for some reason the Lot 23 has always knocked me flat on my a**. It's an anomaly, I know, but no joke that cigar wipes me out. Love it after a solid dinner though!

man I miss good maduros :-(

• Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Darktower007:
    Hello and welcome. Avo domaine and a bottle of pappy van winkel 12 yr to cap it off. Bliss
    +1
    And If you're able to come across the 12 year, please PM me immediately LOL
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Psd4 and macallan12
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ryanjo1111:
    Any advise would help, thanks.
    the word you are looking for is advice. ;)
  • Options
    benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    D Fresh:
    Darktower007:
    +1
    And If you're able to come across the 12 year, please PM me immediately LOL
    D, I have the 12. Come on over!
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make the same post twice in two different threads and then troll out.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
  • Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Oh my groin
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Trolls.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Trolls.
    Troll population always rises in NOV.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Trolls.
    Lol and the pot calls the Christmas tree green
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    Rain:
    Trolls.
    Lol and the pot calls the Christmas tree green
    Don't pick on the troll.
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome I would say the AVO is awesome as well! Also try paring them with a good coffee also awesome
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n!