Home General Discussion

Collecting vs. smoking

Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
Question? Do any of you have a hard time choosing a stick from your collection? I do I love the art and craftsmanship behind cigars, that I find it hard to part with them to smoke them, lol is that normal or and I just a closet hoarder?
The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 

Comments

• wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Cant appreciate the art fully unless you smoke it lol.that is part of the purpose of makin em.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hoard lanceros
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    There are some that I have been collecting, some that I'll (probably) never smoke. Most of them find the fire, easy peasy. I have a few however, that I doubt I ever smoke. So yes, to a degree...I hoard.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hoard just so someday I'll have some sticks with more than a few months on them. George sent me some with yellow cellophane on them and a Ruination that was two years old. I do intend to smoke everything at some point. Or pass along to others.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    There are some that I have been collecting, some that I'll (probably) never smoke. Most of them find the fire, easy peasy. I have a few however, that I doubt I ever smoke. So yes, to a degree...I hoard.
    Yeah you do. As for me, I love cheese.
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    New Boots:
    Me too!!! Any form of goat cheese is awesome.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most of us go through that to some extent.
    There are those that I have worked to find.
    They almost always get passed over in the humi when I go for a cigar.
    But then that special day comes along and it gets lit up.

Sniper sent me a special cigar years back for my 25th anniversary and as much as I hesitated firing it up, I did and didn't regret it for on second.

You just have to find the right time and mood for those special cigars.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    Cant appreciate the art fully unless you smoke it lol.that is part of the purpose of makin em.
    Agreed. I have more smokes than I could smoke in a year and keep buying more but I do so with the intent on smoking them all. But it's all about the moment for me.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Some of my sticks are aging through hoarding. lol Like some of my Red Dots... I buried them cause I didn't want to smoke them... but now they have an extra year on them since I got them. :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you own a classic car and never drive it, whats the point? the enjoyment of the car is the experience behind the wheel.

in a similar fashion, what is the point of a cigar? to smoke. that is the real enjoyment.

all that being said, i am an accidental hoarder. i purchase more than i smoke in general. some are nicer and owning them is nice. there is an enjoyment factor about looking at them when the humidor is opened.

but i do intend to smoke every cigar i make a choice to put into my humidor. i also have never felt bad about smoking a rare cigar. im glad i smoked the ones i have.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    I wish I could keep them long enough to age them. Unless it's a brand I like to let rest, they get blown up quick. It helps with my anxiety to set something beautiful on fire at the end of the day.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe in collecting and smoking at the opportune time
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    I believe in collecting and smoking at the opportune time

So true. I hate seeing someone put out a half-smoked stick with 2-3 inches left because they didn't budget enough time for the experience. It's sacrilegious.
    I saw a grown man snuff out half an AB Prensado at the B&M once. Blasphemy! Also, a friend kept letting his Don Carlos go out that I gave him. I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about it sometimes.
    Choosing your time is almost as important as choosing your stick.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    For me I guess it seems like I hoard but it's really because of aging. I do have some smokes I'd feel it would be hard to part with but given the right time and place I'd burn it in a second. I also must say once you get a nice sized stock pile well it just makes choosing something really hard
    Money can't buy taste
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I intend on smoking every stick I get, however as mentiond there is a time and moment for each one.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    wahooschock:
    Agreed. I have more smokes than I could smoke in a year and keep buying more but I do so with the intent on smoking them all. But it's all about the moment for me.
    Have to agree here, especially because my smoking has decreased with the new daughter in the picture. So now I buy more than I can smoke, and get bombed, but by golly I am trying to even that out everyday! LOL
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Patrickbrick:
    I intend on smoking every stick I get, however as mentiond there is a time and moment for each one.
    This. I don't plan to ever buy a stick, no matter how rare, just to say I have it. No fun in that if I never smoke it and know what it tastes like!
    Rain:
    New Boots:
    But....I love cheese too!
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    There can be only one.
    Rain:
    There can be only one.
    Well, that's not very Gouda now is it?