Home Cigar 101

Toasting the Foot ?

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
Got a question. Why toast the foot? Am I right in assuming the first 3/16 of the foot is dry compaired to the rest of the cigar and toasting ignites that dry tobacco without pulling the harsher smoke through and affecting taste. Does toasting ignite the tobacco so when you remove the fire ( match or lighter) you don't pull the fumes from the fire through and affect the taste? Intrested in learning why we toast the foot and how does it affect the taste.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that toasting the foot is an attempt to ignite the tobacco as gently (lower temp) as possible to avoid any harsh or bitter tastes that you would get from scorched tobacco. It's the difference between coaxing the cigar to burn and forcing it to burn. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I believe that toasting the foot is an attempt to ignite the tobacco as gently (lower temp) as possible to avoid any harsh or bitter tastes that you would get from scorched tobacco. It's the difference between coaxing the cigar to burn and forcing it to burn. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    its a good story. a hot light or a fast light can cause the same issues as smoking too fast. Bitter, harsh, hot smoke. none of these are enjoyable.
    this is one of the reasons i switched to a soft flame.
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of lighter are you using Kuzi?
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression it just tended to make for a better, more even light when you finish the process.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    I was under the impression it just tended to make for a better, more even light when you finish the process.
    Oh no, You really need to shoot for an uneven light. You only light one side. Half of the foot, (I soooooo forgot to mention this critical point.) Half the foot only. Half as harsh. Half as hot. Half a wit. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ DISCLAIMER: The preceding post is almost certainly not serious, unless it says it is, and even then, quite adamantly. Don't take it serious, and try to disregard any offense taken. Unless you're here to scam people, then take your offense and leave. :D
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Oh no, You really need to shoot for an uneven light. You only light one side. Half of the foot, (I soooooo forgot to mention this critical point.) Half the foot only. Half as harsh. Half as hot. Half a wit. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ DISCLAIMER: The preceding post is almost certainly not serious, unless it says it is, and even then, quite adamantly. Don't take it serious, and try to disregard any offense taken. Unless you're here to scam people, then take your offense and leave. :D
    Uh. Huh? Toasting is not lighting, right? Lots of people, myself included toast, then cut, then light. The toast will be even, ensuring a more even light. Or am I a halfwit for doing it that way?
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Uh. Huh? Toasting is not lighting, right? Lots of people, myself included toast, then cut, then light. The toast will be even, ensuring a more even light. Or am I a halfwit for doing it that way?
    Noooooo, I was just being silly about lighting/toasting half the foot. I wasn't calling you a halfwit. I was attempting a joke by saying that my facetious half-light method was halfwit-ed.

OK. Seriously. Getting an even light/toast across the foot IS important to a proper burn and during that same process I also focus on NOT scorching the tobacco. And I really do see toasting as lighting. I usually don't "light" a cigar after I've done my toasting. It's usually ready to puff on after I get it toasted. Sometimes I'll "light" it (aim some heat at it and puff) if there are any areas of the foot that are reluctant to get going. But, usually my toasting is thorough enough to start the party.
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Noooooo, I was just being silly about lighting/toasting half the foot. I wasn't calling you a halfwit. I was attempting a joke by saying that my facetious half-light method was halfwit-ed.

OK. Seriously. Getting an even light/toast across the foot IS important to a proper burn and during that same process I also focus on NOT scorching the tobacco. And I really do see toasting as lighting. I usually don't "light" a cigar after I've done my toasting. It's usually ready to puff on after I get it toasted. Sometimes I'll "light" it (aim some heat at it and puff) if there are any areas of the foot that are reluctant to get going. But, usually my toasting is thorough enough to start the party.
    Huh, now this becomes an interesting discussion. How far do people typically toast? Mine can't really be smoked after toasting, I just kinda start the process a bit.
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:

OK. Seriously. Getting an even light/toast across the foot IS important to a proper burn and during that same process I also focus on NOT scorching the tobacco. And I really do see toasting as lighting. I usually don't "light" a cigar after I've done my toasting. It's usually ready to puff on after I get it toasted. Sometimes I'll "light" it (aim some heat at it and puff) if there are any areas of the foot that are very reluctant to get going. But, usually my toasting is thorough enough to start the party.
    Huh, now this becomes an interesting discussion. How far do people typically toast? Mine can't really be smoked after toasting, I just kinda start the process a bit.
    I"m pretty sure I recognize your method. I've done it. I've seen it often. As an example, If you watch any Youtube reviews by Bryan Glynn, that's how he always does it. But me, I keep toasting (gently) until the foot is glowing all around the perimeter at least. Sometimes the whole foot will be glowing. I usually use an Alec Bradly "The Burner" tabletop lighter turned down as low as it will go. That will produce a softer flame but it's still mostly blue in color. I can do it with a torch but it's harder. And it's also harder during daylight hours outdoors due to the fact that you can't see the butane flame as well.
    Eulogy:

i use THIS lighter.

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Eulogy:

i use THIS lighter.

Thats a soft flame?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    avengethis:
    kuzi16:
    Eulogy:

i use THIS lighter.

Thats a soft flame?
    for as long as i have had it.
    I'll be picking one up then. I've been looking for a soft flame and I saw this one but one site had it listed as a torch the other had it as a hybrid.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good information, thanks to all guru's who weighed in. Looks like I'll be picking up a soft flame lighter myself.
    kuzi16:
    avengethis:
    kuzi16:
    Eulogy:

i use THIS lighter.

Thats a soft flame?
    I went into my local B&M and this lighter model is a torch there. Not sure what is up.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

avengethis:
    kuzi16:
    avengethis:
    kuzi16:
    Eulogy:

i use THIS lighter.

Thats a soft flame?
    I went into my local B&M and this lighter model is a torch there. Not sure what is up.
    are you sure that you are not confusing it with the ELX model? that is a torch.

there is no mention (that i can find) of a torch version of the EX on the XIKAR WEBSITE

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Xikar Exodus is a great soft flame....it is wind resistant but not windproof...there is a difference. You can usually score these on CBID for around $30.
    Yeah I went in there and on the box and they had multiple ones that I checked out they all said just EX and were torches. Hmmm. Ill just order it from ccom when they are back in stock.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Lighting a cigar with three matches like a BOSS

I like to use long cedar matches like the ones in this video. However, some of the larger ring gauges are awkward to light evenly without a torch. I've used a butane lighter turned very low and been successful in not scorching up the wrapper when matches were not available / inconvenient.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posts are food for thought. I have tried every type of lighter and match and the only thing I can find toasting useful for is it promotes, on some cigars more then others, a more even burn and nothing else. That is we do it, right? And it doesn't seem to me what kind of flame I use. Purging, always done, seems to get rid of that bad first draw every time.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Is soft flame with lighter fluid like a bic? And torch is obviously butane aka hard flame. Correct?
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
    youngryan216:
    Is soft flame with lighter fluid like a bic? And torch is obviously butane aka hard flame. Correct?
    a bic is butane. its on the "good" list for lighters too.
    jd50ae:
    Posts are food for thought. I have tried every type of lighter and match and the only thing I can find toasting useful for is it promotes, on some cigars more then others, a more even burn and nothing else. That is we do it, right? And it doesn't seem to me what kind of flame I use. Purging, always done, seems to get rid of that bad first draw every time.
    Bad first draw? Could that be scorching? If I toast right everytime, (and I do ;) the first draw Is delicious, everytime.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    jd50ae:
    Bad first draw? Could that be scorching? If I toast right everytime, (and I do ;) the first draw Is delicious, everytime.

I use the method described by Bob for the most part, it works quite well. I have also used the method that Ken described, toast, punch then re-toast to light, this makes the first draw taste even better IMO, I like the first one better simply because I like the taste of the cold draw. I do use torches, it takes some practice but I have not scorched one in a long time. I have a triple flame desktop and a B2 single, surprisingly the triple does not seem to be as hot a flame.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    jd50ae:

Yes Bob, it is something I started decades ago and I have never broken the habit...and I ain't going to.