Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Amazon CAO

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
All I have to say is you need to try it, worth a fiver. We will post a review later this week. It's a fruit bomb if I ever smoked one. One of the most interesting blends I've smoked, does need a dry box though or serious time down in a low rh humi.

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Looks good. I have been wanting to try these.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Cool! Looks good. I have been wanting to try these.
    Totally out of my wheelhouse, but I have to give credit on such a unique blend. They pulled off a winner IMO. No one has anything like this out there.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Think I saw you mention these before and the band in particular but had never seen one. Now I know what you mean about the unique band and sounds interesting fo sho.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Yeah the band is tobacco, but you can't smoke it. One of our guys smoked it and it was nasty. Apparently, the cigar had Mande a significant change in a few weeks as well. I am Very curious to see how this ages. This is an excellent blend honestly. Not my cup of tea, but damn it's good.
  • Options
    SchackersSchackers Posts: 18
    Can't wait to hear the review! Looks like a pretty interesting sick
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be down for a 5ver! Looking forward to the review
  • Options
    Sorry for being late on this guys, we posted it a while back in a group setting. I really think this is a cigar to at least get a fiver of, and was a big surprise to me.

http://cigarfederation.com/profiles/blogs/group-review-cao-amazon-basin
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Guess I'll find out. Picked up two of these at my B&M. One for my self and one for a good dude here on the forum I'll be sending out shortly.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really interested in this one along with the extreme. I'm a fan of anything CAO.
  • Options
    Picked up 6 boxes of these bad boys. 100% agree with all catfishbluezz says about them. Very unique flavor blend for sure. Personally though, I smoke right thru the tobacco braid band and enjoy the burst of peppery flavor from it. Just a matter of personal taste, I'm sure.

My quick review, but please, your mileage may vary.

It does tend to burn a bit wavy, but with proper attention, it can be kept to a minimum.

The first 1/4 to 1/3 is peppery with very earthy woodiness. As you pass the 1/3 mark, and approach the halfway point, fruitiness and a definite cocoa (unsweetened Hershey's cocoa powder, not hot chocolate :p) and coffee flavor takes over, and pretty much all pepper is gone, while the earthy woodiness remains all the way to the braid. As the braid begins to burn you get a burst of pepper and a heavy not quite harshness kicks in. At that point a hint of what I think of as anise or maybe even a fennel flavor mingles in with the cocoa/coffee and adds a very pleasant surprise.

They are definitely on the "fresh" side, so those that want a more aged smoothness might want to let them rest a few weeks to a month in the humi and then try again to see how the flavors change. I plan on doing that, and with 6 boxes, it will be easy to fight the urge to smoke them all up.

I've smoked 6 so far, and have given a few away to my closest cigar loving friends, and all have agreed, these are definitely a great smoke at a fantastic price. With all of the complex flavors, I would have expected them to be priced nearly double what they are (but am VERY glad they are not!)

I'm definitely a huge fan of these, and hope to see them continue for years to come.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I ordered a box. And I'm gonna share. I tried to start a pass to mark my 2000th post a while back with a pass full of 4 kicks for anybody who wanted to try the 4 kicks. Well, the box of 4 kicks I had on hand had little stowaways in it. Yep. Beetles. (The box was not from ccom) Well that box went back and I lost interest. Now I'm coming up on my 3000th post and I'm gonna try the same type of pass but with the CAO Brazil Amazon Basin. So if you're interested in trying a few of these and want in on a pass. Watch for my pass over in the TPB section.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying the flavor but I've got a bad canoe problem with this stick at the halfway point. It's a little cold out here tonight and each of my lighters are scared of the cold temps and / or low on fuel. Guess I'll just have to keep paddling through. I don't hear any banjos so no biggie.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Combining quotes....

Bob Luken:
    I tried to start a pass to mark my 2000th post a while back with a pass full of 4 kicks for anybody who wanted to try the 4 kicks. Well, the box of 4 kicks I had on hand had little stowaways in it. Yep. Beetles. (The box was not from ccom)...
    Oh, Jeez. I ordered a tenner of these a while ago from C.com and put 'em in the humidor without Luken at 'em. Lordy, I hope they're Beetle-free....
    Bob Luken:
    I'm enjoying the flavor but I've got a bad canoe problem with this stick at the halfway point. It's a little cold out here tonight and each of my lighters are scared of the cold temps and / or low on fuel. Guess I'll just have to keep paddling through. I don't hear any banjos so no biggie.

I smoked a Luken CAO Amazon Basin last summer and it was just about the best "cigar I hadn't tried yet" this year. Not a fan of CAOs in general, but this one just had a great, strong, coffeesque flavor to it. Probably going to have to wait til the spring to try another one since I only somke outside. It's 18 degrees right now where I am and nothing will light. Even the banjo pluckers are staying put.
  • Options
    These damn things are sold out at a lot of different places. I really like the unusual spice that it has, time to find more!
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    These damn things are sold out at a lot of different places. I really like the unusual spice that it has, time to find more!
    Cant find any either. if you do find a place pm me if ya would
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Just smoked one of these for the first time. It's so different than anything I have smoked before I really don't know how to describe it. It's definitely one I would like more of though. In my opinion it's a perfect smoke to have everyone 3-6 months to really switch it up. My local B&M had some when I was last in there. If they have more I will gladly pick up the rest and try to spread the wealth
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    Bigshizza:
    Cant find any either. if you do find a place pm me if ya would
    PM to ya
  • Options
    C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    Just grabbed another box of these, had to grab them while they're still around.
  • Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Im hearing good reviews here about the Amazon Basin, but when I asked at my B&M about it, 3 different people said it was just average at best. Ive got a box coming today. I hope I agree with you, and not them.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Chuck N:
    Im hearing good reviews here about the Amazon Basin, but when I asked at my B&M about it, 3 different people said it was just average at best. Ive got a box coming today. I hope I agree with you, and not them.
    It definitely has a unique flavor and I personally find them much better than average! Would love to hear your thoughts!
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    are these a limited time release type of thing or are they new so everyone is grabbing them up
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    From what I've been told, limited and may only be a one time release due to the tobacco used. That's what I was told when I was making calls looking for them.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    Just smoked one of these for the first time. It's so different than anything I have smoked before I really don't know how to describe it. It's definitely one I would like more of though. In my opinion it's a perfect smoke to have everyone 3-6 months to really switch it up. My local B&M had some when I was last in there. If they have more I will gladly pick up the rest and try to spread the wealth
    Let me know if you score any more, Dougie. I'd be up to work out a trade with you.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    D Fresh:
    Let me know if you score any more, Dougie. I'd be up to work out a trade with you.
    Will do sir. I think I'd rather be in the Amazon right now and out of this brutal cold!