Home Non Cigar Related

Indian Scout

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking for what will most likely be my last bike. I'm entranced by the new Indian Scout:

It is dead naked, which is a thing surprisingly tough to find these days; and I like my bikes naked. It would fill about the same role as my old V65 Magna used to do -- muscle cruiser, bout the same weight, just twenty horse shy, but turning much slower, and one heck of a looker. Bout as American as you can get. Not too much money, considering how overpriced bikes are these days. Fairly minimalist, which is me. I most always buy used; but of course these are too new for that. The tank is small, is the biggest drawback. Those bazooka pipes are fuggly; but there's pipes in every catalog. I would get the side bags and rack, add some heated grips, and leave the rest as is. If I got this, I would have to keep my KLR Biffy Bullfrog for camping and winter weather commuting. This would be for long distance super slabbing and Spring to Fall commuting. If you pre-order this year for delivery November on, then they give you a five year warranty. I'd like to get into distance riding all over the country, so a new machine with a five year ticket would be a good thing.

Just a lot of money is all. Biffy I bought one year old for $2,900. My K75 I bought for $1,400. My Honda 909 I bought wrecked along with a BMW R1100R for $2,400 for the both of them. That's how I usually like to roll. Even my Honda V65 Magna I bought for a mere $1,900 in perfect condition years ago. New bikes are an egregious rip compared to what you can score one for just a year or two later.

I'm mighty tempted tho. Can't wait for the demo truck to swing by where I can throw a leg over one.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an Indian. That's all that needs to be said.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Agreed. Beautyful bike.... id love to have one.

Aj
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GO HERE and hit the icon for the wrap-around view. Outstanding. Only eleven grand. If you pre-order the first run edition, you get a five year warranty. I'm going to throw my leg over one down in Annapolis Sept 6th, and if it fits, I'll plunk down a grand to get the ball rolling.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    GO HERE and hit the icon for the wrap-around view. Outstanding. Only eleven grand. If you pre-order the first run edition, you get a five year warranty. I'm going to throw my leg over one down in Annapolis Sept 6th, and if it fits, I'll plunk down a grand to get the ball rolling.
    I heard there was like a 2 year waiting list before you actually get your bike, is that true or just myth?
    dr_frankenstein56:
    webmost:
    I heard there was like a 2 year waiting list before you actually get your bike, is that true or just myth?
    They claim November.

Come to think of it, Polaris' Indian's first year was just this year... so a two year waiting list has to be a myth.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just lovely! That's the stuff daydreams are made of, at least for me. The appearance of the engine is very different from what's in the Chief, I'm curious about it. No doubt Rider or Motorcycle Consumer News will have something on it soon and satisfy my need to know.

Not that I don't love my Electra Glide, but were I to ever hit the lottery, that would be one of about 5 motorcycles that would soon populate my garage. Oh, and I'd buy a few boxes of Opus to share with all the forum members.

Which is all meaningless, since I never play the lottery. I figure my personal chances of winning are about the same whether I buy a ticket or not.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, that is a beautiful bike. I really need to work on the Mrs. and get her to change her opinions on motorcycles.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    SleevePlz:
    Man, that is a beautiful bike. I really need to work on the Mrs. and get her to change her opinions on motorcycles.
    Man, that is just pitiful to hear.

Hey, we'll be riding our murdercycles right past Goodrich next May, en route to Ely MN and a Boundary Waters canoe adventure. I'll honk and wave as we pass. We'll be the ones with big silly grins on. Get yourself a ride and come along. You fish, dontcha? Cigars help keep the skeeters at bay.

• prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Have not been following Indian in a while. Looks like they are on the right path. That is a beautiful bike.

Web, did you get this? MCN & Rider both seemed impressed. Tell us about it!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    enough said is right! Ball'n
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    beautiful bike. I feel all these new bikes are way over priced. no reason they should cost as much as a car. way less metal...way less tech..less cost to make. id never pay more than 2000 for a bike. and that bike better be perfect for that much lol
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
    Amos Umwhat:
    Deposit down. Impatiently waiting on delivery. Promised in December. No specific date.

However, here is the big caveat: Scuttlebutt is, the bike will be ready in December, but accessories are not scheduled until March. If this is the case, I will refuse delivery until my ordered panniers arrive. The bike is useless to me unless I can tote my lunch to work, my duffel to the gym, and my mat to yoga (usually two of these on the same day). This is not a toy to me, but a vehicle. I am not riding to the pub on a fine Saturday evening to compare tattoos with my skullcap-clad oafish brethren. I am transporting myself and my gear along life's various errands. If they cannot deliver the whole package, I am going to pitch a damned fit. I have my deposit invoice handy, and plan to brandish it in their face. At the very least, I will need a rack I can strap a tail bag on.

Love the looks of this thing. All reviews are enthusiastic. Powerful, comfy, nimble, naked. Prolly be my last bike. Even have a name picket out: Aokaki'tsiwa (aw-kah-kit-sih-wa), which is the Siksika (Blackfoot) word for "scout". But I'll call her " Aoka (aw-kah) which as I understand is the Boston word for killer whale (orca). Or maybe I'll just go ahead and call her Rhonda, after Rhonda Rousey; cause Rhonda, you know, is small, powerful, and drop dead sexy.

I'm so stoked.

I heard a thing the other day on the NFL channel, a bit about Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy referred to QTL = Quality Time Left. That's right where I am at these days. Seems to me, the older I get, the higher quality time I have left. If I'd known it would be this much fun to get old, I would have got old back when I was young enough to enjoy it. Fine cigars, excellent beers, good hobbies, wonderful projects, great great-grandchildren ... and next a red hot Indian.

webmost:
    Amos Umwhat:
    This is not a toy to me, but a vehicle. I am not riding to the pub on a fine Saturday evening to compare tattoos with my skullcap-clad oafish brethren. I am transporting myself and my gear along life's various errands. If they cannot deliver the whole package, I am going to pitch a damned fit. I have my deposit invoice handy, and plan to brandish it in their face. At the very least, I will need a rack I can strap a tail bag on.

Love the looks of this thing. All reviews are enthusiastic. Powerful, comfy, nimble, naked. Prolly be my last bike. Even have a name picket out: Aokaki'tsiwa (aw-kah-kit-sih-wa), which is the Siksika (Blackfoot) word for "scout". But I'll call her " Aoka (aw-kah) which as I understand is the Boston word for killer whale (orca). Or maybe I'll just go ahead and call her Rhonda, after Rhonda Rousey; cause Rhonda, you know, is small, powerful, and drop dead sexy.

I'm so stoked.

I heard a thing the other day on the NFL channel, a bit about Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy referred to QTL = Quality Time Left. That's right where I am at these days. Seems to me, the older I get, the higher quality time I have left. If I'd known it would be this much fun to get old, I would have got old back when I was young enough to enjoy it. Fine cigars, excellent beers, good hobbies, wonderful projects, great great-grandchildren ... and next a red hot Indian.

Amos Umwhat:
    webmost:
    Amos Umwhat:
    This is not a toy to me, but a vehicle. I am not riding to the pub on a fine Saturday evening to compare tattoos with my skullcap-clad oafish brethren. I am transporting myself and my gear along life's various errands.

I had the same problem from my insurance co a few years back. "You can't list your bike as your primary vehicle". Why the hell not? It was my primary vehicle. Rode to work and everywhere else 365 days a year. Finally got it listed so, for a few years. Bastids. (weird double post, got interrupted)

Amos Umwhat:
    I had the same problem from my insurance co a few years back. "You can't list your bike as your primary vehicle". Why the hell not? It was my primary vehicle. Rode to work and everywhere else 365 days a year. Finally got it listed so, for a few years. Bastids. (weird double post, got interrupted)
    What's a primary vehicle? The wife has a Durango, insured by Allstate. Dunno why; she just likes Allstate, I guess. I usually have three bikes (two now, to make room in the garage) insured by Markel. Never heard the term "primary vehicle". Had them before with Progressive. Same deal never heard primary.

All three bikes total 180 per year insurance. Pay more than that a month on the Durango.

... but ... What's up with "primary vehicle"?

Love your sig line by the way. So true.

wahooschock:
    beautiful bike. I feel all these new bikes are way over priced. no reason they should cost as much as a car. way less metal...way less tech..less cost to make. id never pay more than 2000 for a bike. and that bike better be perfect for that much lol
    WTF? I wrote an answer to this and it seems to have disappeared.

webmost:
    wahooschock:
    WTF? I wrote an answer to this and it seems to have disappeared.
    That happens to me alot. I must be cursed
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
    Let me try this again...
    wahooschock:
    For two grand, you may buy half a Chinese pot metal no name banger, and good luck getting it to run a year.

Let's stop and think about this...

"way less metal" --- Are we buying cars by the pound now? If so, your ordinary SUV ought to cost twice what a Ferrari costs. I think the weight of materials is rather irrelevant to the cost of a vehicle, isn't it?

"way less tech" --- I disagree. Honda prolly squeeze as many horses per cube out of an R600RR as Ferrari do out of a Spider. My incoming Indian has throttle by wire and the engine diagnostics display on the console. When you factor in the unique suspension and handling needed for a bike, all you are missing is a stereo. Wait a minute, my beemer has that too. And heated seats and grips, digital cruise, etc.

"less cost to make" -- Quite the contrary. Your Ford Probe, they can distribute development and tooling costs out over hundreds and hundreds of thousands of units. Your bike, that has to be absorbed by two or three tens of thousands of units, and that many only if you hit a big fat home run with that model. My R1200CLC, for instance, sold something like 3500 units total. My KLR, a wildly successful model, has been sold with very few changes since 1987, outsells all other dual-sport models combined, yet at only a rate of about 25 thousand per year world wide. Everything from satisfying government regs globally to making a jig to bore cylinders to ordering chains from a supplier -- the same economy of scale which applies to your ordinary automobile does not apply to motorcycles for any of these.

On the other hand, my KLR I bought barely used for 2900, gets 57 mpg, insures for 60 bucks a year, and has paid for itself many times over. It's not on the front end, but on the back end, that it makes sense.

This is not to say that your fully dressed low tech vastly over weight obnoxiously loud chrome plated 28k Hardly Ableson is not an exercise in hillbilly fatuity; just as your fully farkled butt ugly skyscraper tall 25K BMW R1300GSA is not an exercise in yuppie "hey lookit my credit rating!". But for ten grand you can get one helluva fine Honda new; or for 2 grand you can get one helluva fine used Honda; and sell it three years later for two grand. Most of my life I've gone the used route. For years, I used to pick up a too-long-parked project bike for a song each Autumn, wrench over the Winter, and flip it in Spring. That's fun too.

The deal is to get your face in the wind.

ill stick to used Honda and Yamaha scoots and customize em.maybe a lambretta. I have no use for high speed or high hp. speed limit is the limit unless your on a track its pointless. eh to each there own. as you say its about your face in the wind..and of course what ya like.
    webmost:
    Amos Umwhat:
    What's a primary vehicle? The wife has a Durango, insured by Allstate. Dunno why; she just likes Allstate, I guess. I usually have three bikes (two now, to make room in the garage) insured by Markel. Never heard the term "primary vehicle". Had them before with Progressive. Same deal never heard primary.

All three bikes total 180 per year insurance. Pay more than that a month on the Durango.

... but ... What's up with "primary vehicle"?

Love your sig line by the way. So true.

I may have the wrong term. They (usaa) changed my bike to "recreational" status from primary transportation, and tripled my cost. Now have Progressive, albeit through USAA, and am satisfied with that.

wahooschock:
    ill stick to used Honda and Yamaha scoots and customize em.maybe a lambretta. I have no use for high speed or high hp. speed limit is the limit unless your on a track its pointless. eh to each there own. as you say its about your face in the wind..and of course what ya like.
    I don't need all that speed and power of a crotch rocket. But I do need at least enough power to get outta them dumb cell-phoning cagers' way. I like a bike to be light enough to jerk it into the next lane when some blue haired granny comes lurching out of the driveway, and then powerful enough to shoot up four cars lengths away from the texting teen. I like little scooters round town; but I'm not taking one down the slab to Kentucky.

Did you see the story bout a Dad and son who took a pair of Chinese scooters across the country? No plan and no GPS, was their method. Had a blast. All back roads, of course; so it took three weeks.

I should mention that I am rolling up some Uppowoc Perfectos for the occasion. I have had cigar bands made up that say: "It's a Scout!" with a picture of the baby girl. Any two wheelers ought to PM me an addy and I'll shoot you one out on the long anticipated day.

webmost:
    wahooschock:
    I don't need all that speed and power of a crotch rocket. But I do need at least enough power to get outta them dumb cell-phoning cagers' way. I like a bike to be light enough to jerk it into the next lane when some blue haired granny comes lurching out of the driveway, and then powerful enough to shoot up four cars lengths away from the texting teen. I like little scooters round town; but I'm not taking one down the slab to Kentucky.

Did you see the story bout a Dad and son who took a pair of Chinese scooters across the country? No plan and no GPS, was their method. Had a blast. All back roads, of course; so it took three weeks.

Lol funny you should mention that. I plan on goin all ovr on my metropolitan but it can do 50 and im workin on 60 but its still peppy and can pull away on the line. Of course ill take back roads cause its more fun and my ol lady is gonna drive the tiny house/truck. Gonna go all over before we settle in Colorado.
    Didnt me to jack . Sorry. Ride or die lol
    wahooschock:
    I used to run dirt bikes exclusively. Mostly because that is what I raced.
    Then life happened, the racing went away and I ran enduros (for younger folks those were the dual sport on/off road bikes) and then I finally went to street bikes.
    I ran the gambit of bikes, Suzuki, Yamaha (650 special and V-max), then an assortment of road bikes.

But in the end, my Harley ruined me for import bikes.
    And the only other bike I will ever own as a street bike, besides my Harleys, will be an Indian.

A bike is just like any other vehicle. No matter what you spend on it, you will never get it out of it.
    And any bike is only worth what you are willing to spend on it.
    Would I spend $30k on an Indian? Ask me in 8 years.
    If I have everything nailed down correctly on my retirement, the answer will be a resounding yes.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a killer bike. I also prefer naked bikes. Far from a biker myself but I am a fair weather rider. My bike is taking a long nap until next spring..lol
    0patience:
    A bike is just like any other vehicle. No matter what you spend on it, you will never get it out of it.
    I completely disagree. I know from repeated experience it's rather easy to get your money back out of a motorcycle. Anyone thinking they can't afford to ride, heed this very simple formula: Buy a used rice burner, ride it several years, sell it for what you paid. It is that easy.

Don't like rice burners? Buy an old beemer in need of attention, and give it some.

First bike I bought in Dull-Aware was a Honda CB450 stranded in a barn and covered with bird poop and feathers. Fifty bucks. Sulky driver on this trotter farm bought it at auction and it kept eating batteries, and the local Honda shop just kept replacing batteries and never fixed it. I knew the trick; so a bit of lamp cord to ground the selenium rectifier, some gas from the lawn tractor, kicked it over, and away I went. Gave my newly met red head gal her first bike ride on that beast. Squeezed me tight hanging on and got all excited. Worth every buck. Gave it away years later; so, I'm down fifty bucks.

Next bike was a Honda CX500, twelve hundred from a dealer included two helmets and a cover. Rode that beater about eight years I think. Sold it for eight hundred to a guy wanted to try riding. Call the helmets and cover two bills, that means I'm down two fifty.

Now watch.

Bought a Honda V65 Magna for nineteen hundred. Vicious fast, smooth as stonewashed silk, lift the front wheel with a flick of the wrist doing ninety. Rode that I dunno maybe four or five years. Sold it for twenty nine hundred. Up seven fifty.

Bought a TransAlp upstate New York for nine hundred. About three hundred in parts to get it right. Sold for thirty four hundred. Up nearly three grand.

Bought a GoldWing in CT just so I could have an adventure with my grandson. We rode the train up to fetch it, and came back via scenic routes. Twelve hundred. Hated the bulky awkward thing. Sold for a bit over two grand. Up thirty eight.

Bought a package deal: A wrecked Honda 909 and an oil leaking BMW R1100R for twenty four hundred. Feller had switched the beemer to synthetic and that ate all his seals. Wrecked the 909 and had promised his wife from his hospital bed he'd get off bikes. Replaced about a hundred in gaskets, switched back to dinosaur juice, sold for thirty four hundred. Put about a grand of that into body parts and tank paint on the 909, and sold that for IIRC twenty six to a pilot down in Virginia. How much am I up now? Twenty six plus thirty eight, I think.

Bought a beemer K75 that had sat twelve years. Paid too much at fifteen. Two hundred for a fuel pump and some hoses, two hundred more for new tires, rode that three years, sold for three grand to a friend of a friend. Fabulous three banger; smoothest bike BMW ever made.

Bought this KLR for twenty nine from a guy the other side of Chicago, rode it home, have about fifty five thousand on it now, the same year asking price is still about twenty nine. Still ahead if I never sell it.

These are the ones I remember right off. But you get the idea. Japanese bikes drop dramatically in value, then plateau. BMW bikes hold value well; except for K bikes, aka "bricks", which, despite being far superior engines, nobody pays much used. Buddy of mine picked up his K75 for nine hundred. You want to get into bikes, set yourself a two grand ceiling, go cruise craigslist, score for twelve hundred, then put the other eight into helmets and jackets. It is easy to do. Especially this time of year or tax time.

If you feel you have to dress up like a pirate and ride a chrome plated paint shaker, I can't help you. Follow the crowd to your HD dealer, and you're going to get skinned. If you feel like the more you spend the safer you will be, I can't help you. Drive your Volvo to your beemer or duke dealer and show them your marvelous credit rating. But if you just want to get your face in the wind, buy a lightly used Honda or an old beemer brick and enjoy. The difference in gas mileage will pay for the bike in six months. I guarantee it.

OTOH, if stocks disappoint you and bonds are boring and you want to make a real killing, pull out your wallet and buy a classic airhead boxer beemer, like an R69 or toaster or some such. Those things, the price goes up drastically year after year. That's an investment you lock up in your living room.

My referance was in regards of new bikes.
    Yes, you can buy used beat up bikes and fix them up and make a few bucks.
    But anyone thinking they will buy a $15k Harley, add some bling and make any money on it is fooling themselves.
    And if you are lucky to come across a classic for a decent price, you might be able to come out ahead. But for the most part, its about the ride, not the money.
    If you buy a bike as an investment, then you might be better off investing in something else.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Now you guys got me all excited and I had to write my dealer and bug the poor rascal.