Home General Discussion

What appetizer to an Opus X main course?

ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
So tomorrow night as a part of an Easter celebration a buddy and his family is coming over and we are going to grill filet mignon and then smoke some big Opus Xs that I've been saving. This is only my second Opus and I can't wait. The problem is that I'm thinking we'll want to herf while we grill, but I want it to compliment the Opuses and not take anything away. I'm thinking some small robusto Oliva connies, or something mild like that. Or should I resist and just savor the Opus?

So I need some advice from you guys that suck down an Opus X every other day.
What is a good warm up band before the main inXs concert?
A good matinee before the feature X-men:The Last Stogie Stand?

Comments

• Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    If I plan on smoking a rarity for me cigar( I mean $20.00 and up) I smoke it on s clean palate. Now I have smoke in the morning the broke out a Padron 64 that evening and no issues. But for me my palate gets fried if I chain herf. ??
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    It usually takes my palate a couple hours to really clear the last stick I've had, but if you move from a conny to an Opus X your palate should be pretty open. As long as you don't smoke them back to back I'm not sure it will matter much. I'd just stay away from anything with a lot of pepper/spice. Enjoy the BBQ sounds like good times.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Maybe something mild so you don't burn out your palate before you smoke the opus x?
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke 2 Opus'. Problem solved
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Depends on how quickly you get the dreaded burnout palate. A conny would probably be a safe bet.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:

I smoke 2 opus in time of peace
    And two in time of war
    I smoke 2 opus before i smoke two opus, and then i smoke 2 more!
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:

This is the best answer! I should tell that moochin buddy of mine to get his own stink'n Opus X and then I'll have two! Oh, hang on, he's bringing over $120 worth of filet mignon. Guess I should share…
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I would have bourbon and shoot the chit, then have the Opus after the steak.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Smoke the opus then a anejo!! But depends on how much age the opus has
    Money can't buy taste
    james40:

This is what I'm thinking, 'cept scotch instead of bourbon. Resist and wait for the Opus it'll taste so much better when we get there.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Smoke the opus then a anejo!! But depends on how much age the opus has

So the opus becomes the appetizer?!?! Opus+anejo in one evening?!
    I'm too new at this to go to that level yet. I have to have something to dream about:^)
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Eating will cleanse the palate. Personally I'd smoke a mild cigar first if you want. I'd suggest an avo personally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Chemnitz:
    james40:

This is what I'm thinking, 'cept scotch instead of bourbon. Resist and wait for the Opus it'll taste so much better when we get there.
    exactly. Savor that stick after a great meal. Doesn't get much better than that.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jelly sauce over hunks of meat and a peppery cigar
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    So, how did it go???
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    So, how did it go???
    Yeah, lets hear the the end of the story.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you survive?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    It was a fantastic night! (btw, Happy Easter everyone)
    Decided to resist an appetizer cigar and just focused on the opus, which was a good thing because that opus kicked my butt, even after a full meal of the best filet I've ever had! Couldn't stop smoking it however, as it was so smooth with the best of those Fuente flavors that I love. It never became harsh even down to the nub.

Beauties plus port

5 pounds of center cut filet mignon

Seared in olive oil with Montreal Steak Rub, prior to gently grilling for 10-15min turning frequently

Opus' on the 'power eight' next to my new Alec Bradley The Burner (thanks for the tip Bob! great lighter for toasting)

Whatever you ate or smoked, I hope you all had as blessed an Easter as I did. Thanks for all your advice.
    Glad to hear it all went well. And that meat is beautiful man! But I'm curious about a couple of things. You say the opus kicked your ass. What about your friend? And did you have any carbs with the meal or was it all protien? It may sound funny of me to ask, but I'm just curious about the science of how a strong cigar's strength can be neutalized by food and our metabolism. And your post made me wonder about which foods help and if any foods won't make a difference.

And Damn! That's a cool ashtray!
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great Easter Sunday
    Bob Luken:
    Glad to hear it all went well. And that meat is beautiful man! But I'm curious about a couple of things. You say the opus kicked your ass. What about your friend? And did you have any carbs with the meal or was it all protien? It may sound funny of me to ask, but I'm just curious about the science of how a strong cigar's strength can be neutalized by food and our metabolism. And your post made me wonder about which foods help and if any foods won't make a difference.

And Damn! That's a cool ashtray!

I love that ashtray. It is solid brass, made in India. My wife found it at a rummage sale for $3! Good woman. When you load it up with eight cigars it has so much potential energy that it starts humming and shaking. True story;^)

The opus kicked my friend's butt also, which is unusual. And no, we didn't eat many carbs, mainly just a lot of steak, some deviled eggs (which would be protein) and salad. No bread, tiny bit of mashed potatoes. Maybe you're onto something. Are you thinking protein doesn't neutralize, carbs do? Last time I had that same cigar it didn't bother me. You got me remembering and if I recall on that previous occasion I had eaten about three large slices of pizza before smoking. Pizza of course would be mainly carbs.

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if there is any truth to it but damn if I didn't have it happen to me when I smoked an Opus after a big Ribeye. Kicked my ass, only cigar to ever do that to me.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Great looking dinner there. Glad you had a great time. Imo if your not use to full bodied cigars the opus will be rough.
    Yep, That's my theory, (or somebody's theory). Carbs are converted to sugar in your body. Coincidentally, a spoonfull of sugar is one remedy for a severe case of that sick feeling you get from a strong cigar. So maybe there's something to that line of reasoning. Seems like we had a thread discussing this very subject a while back. I wish I could find it. If anyone remembers what that thread title was we could bump it. OK. Found it.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/748773.aspx

The previous debate shed little light on the carbs vs protein debate so I guess that is still under review. Maybe I'll start a new thread specifically to pose that question.

here it is.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=782209#782209
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Yep, That's my theory, (or somebody's theory). Carbs are converted to sugar in your body. Coincidentally, a spoonfull of sugar is one remedy for a severe case of that sick feeling you get from a strong cigar. So maybe there's something to that line of reasoning. Seems like we had a thread discussing this very subject a while back. I wish I could find it. If anyone remembers what that thread title was we could bump it. OK. Found it.

The previous debate shed little light on the carbs vs protein debate so I guess that is still under review. Maybe I'll start a new thread specifically to pose that question.

here it is.

I'm in favor of a balanced-better-safe-than-sorry approach. Eat it all! But I do find carbs to settle my stomach. Crackers or toast when you're sick, right? I've always felt that carby foods help neutralize or absorb stomach acid.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel:
    Bob Luken:

here it is.

I'm in favor of a balanced-better-safe-than-sorry approach. Eat it all! But I do find carbs to settle my stomach. Crackers or toast when you're sick, right? I've always felt that carby foods help neutralize or absorb stomach acid.
    I agree with the well balanced approach. It's just such a curious subject (to me).
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a great evening, I know I would have enjoyed it!!!

On the cooking steak part...you said you cooked the steaks for 10-15 minutes, turning them over frequently. Why? I'm curious if thats your technique or if there was something you were trying to accomplish (taste/testure) by cooking that way, especially on a filet mignon cut.

I love to cook, especially steaks and #1 rule for me is to turn only once and its into either the oven for broil or plate. (of course let it rest about 5 minutes before cutting) This will help the flavors tremendously!!!
    zeebra:

On the cooking steak part...you said you cooked the steaks for 10-15 minutes, turning them over frequently. Why? I'm curious if thats your technique or if there was something you were trying to accomplish (taste/testure) by cooking that way, especially on a filet mignon cut.

I love to cook, especially steaks and #1 rule for me is to turn only once and its into either the oven for broil or plate. (of course let it rest about 5 minutes before cutting) This will help the flavors tremendously!!!

It's my buddy's technique that he has perfected over the years. First he quickly sears them in a stove top pan in a ¼" of olive oil to lock in the juices. Notice that some of the chunks are so big that they are cube like and therefore have 5-6 sides. Then he transfers them to the grill. He pretty much leaves the grill lid open and turns/rotates them on the grill to heat each side evenly. Although it takes 10+ min, they still come out medium-rare because they are so thick and there are so many sides per steak

This goes completely against how I learned to grill, which is: leave the lid on and only turn once.
    But the proof is in the pudding. One time I took a chunk of the filet and grilled it my way, while he did his, and his was by far more tender, juicy and evenly cooked. So now I just let him have at it, and enjoy it when it's served:)

Mind you, his technique wouldn't work on a T-bone which is flatter. That's where the "turn once and shut the lid" method would be better.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    zeebra:

It's my buddy's technique that he has perfected over the years. First he quickly sears them in a stove top pan in a ¼" of olive oil to lock in the juices. Notice that some of the chunks are so big that they are cube like and therefore have 5-6 sides. Then he transfers them to the grill. He pretty much leaves the grill lid open and turns/rotates them on the grill to heat each side evenly. Although it takes 10+ min, they still come out medium-rare because they are so thick and there are so many sides per steak

This goes completely against how I learned to grill, which is: leave the lid on and only turn once.
    But the proof is in the pudding. One time I took a chunk of the filet and grilled it my way, while he did his, and his was by far more tender, juicy and evenly cooked. So now I just let him have at it, and enjoy it when it's served:)

Mind you, his technique wouldn't work on a T-bone which is flatter. That's where the "turn once and shut the lid" method would be better.
    thanks! I like to experiment different cooking methods.