Home Ratings & Reviews

Osiris Collection IV

ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
First let me say that I am not a reviewer. These are simply my thoughts on this cigar. I speak very little of flavor unless it really stands out and near the end of my review the weather gets crummy and the wife gets home so I stopped taking notes.
DISCLAIMER: I liked the 2012 Forum Blend.

Measurements are 6.5x64 at the bulb. The wrapper is a toothy light maduro with no real flaws or big veins. The foot comes down to a slightly open end, while the head is shaggy and not closed.
The cut was clean without the normal cap wetting process. Pre-light draw was slightly loose but not to loose, slightly sweet with no real spice to the wrapper. I toasted the foot very little before lighting.

This cigar was sweet and Coco from the start. I did not pick up any overwhelming AJ spice. There was a hint of spice through the nose, but the retro was pleasant and did not burn at all. I was getting very little smoke volume on a short puff but the long draw that followed produced tons of smoke. Burn is sharp and corrects itself as I smoke it.

Behind the bulb the draw is one single long draw with tons of smoke volume. The spice is picking up and so is the body. The flavor is moving from a sweet coco to spicy pepper and leather with a sweet finish. The AJ pepper is here at this point(my notes say back to AJ country). The first ash drops at one inch.

Body and spice build more as I get towards the mid point with almost all the coco flavor gone at this point. Draw is still perfect to slightly loose. Burn is slightly uneven down one side but is not affecting the flavors at all. Smoke production is still huge, lingering clouds on a slightly windy afternoon.

At this point the wife came home and the rain/clouds were moving in. I stopped taking notes to talk with her. There was not much change to flavor and body at this point and I quit smoking shortly thereafter. This is a huge cigar and took me about 1.5 to 2 hours to smoke to the inch I had left. (that’s about a 4 hr smoke for kuzi. I smoke pretty fast.)

All in all I think the cigar was great for the AJ fan boys. Mouth feel was not huge as the figurado comes down to a pretty small point. Draw and burn were next to perfect all the way through. I would probably save this cigar for a time when I have a lot of time and don’t want to smoke multiple cigars such as a long day of smoking meat, long night of cards, or a vherf.
I think the cigar has great aging potential if the spice mellows a bit near the middle to end with age. I have put 5 in the cooler to rest for a while and will probably revisit in 6-12 months. I will be sending most of the others to members to try and see what they think.

Comments

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review Drew (as much as I hate you!) Keep up the good work....
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good cigar and you did a good review for a non cigar reviewer
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice write up Drew. You might have a future in the review game :)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Smoked mine last night as well. Pretty much the same experience I had except for initial draw. Mine was rather tight, but that could be because I didn't cut as far as Drew. Who knows. Plus the mostly capped bulb opened up once it gets burned and my draw loosened up to a comfy pull.

Everything I expected from an AJ. Was one of those smokes where I was kinda mad that I was done with it "already" although I guess I smoked it about an hour and a half at least. Also am now disappointed that I split this with Morgan. I still owe him his 5. Or wait... Wasn't that an 8 pack, guys? Sure. I need to send Morgan his 4. ;-)
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done Drew, it's interesting getting to a bulb and after you pass it. I like figurados a lot and glad to hear it wasn't one dimensional. Thanks
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Great review! I'll add it to my list...man that stick has some tooth on it!
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent review, Drew! Looks like a great smoke.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good review Drew. Got me interested. I might have to make a call.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    contacted my contact and ask about the 5vegas freedom blend and referred me to this Osiris Collection IV ,looks the same and sounds the same, i have 10 coming
  • This was a failure in my opinion! About half of my first cigar burned horrribly! It dropped on my lap and was a nothing that I would have thought would be a deliicious cigar. Epic faliiure in my opinion and I wish I had never picked this up!
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Want My Sticks:
    This was a failure in my opinion! About half of my first cigar burned horrribly! It dropped on my lap and was a nothing that I would have thought would be a deliicious cigar. Epic faliiure in my opinion and I wish I had never picked this up!
    Well don't drop it on your lap..
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He must have really hated that cigar for it to be his inaugural post.
    ExpendableYouth:
    Maybe he hates AJ. Racist.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    ExpendableYouth:
    Maybe he hates AJ. Racist.
    Or,...was he wearing pants? He never said.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    I think not wearing pants would be worse.