Home General Discussion
Options

I'm Curious

New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
When does one graduate from "Newb" to "Vet" or are there more steps?

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I think, when you stop asking questions, and start answering them. I still ask questions.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    When more newbs come in and your no longer the sacrificial lamb?
    Dunno.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    It's just like being the FNG. 'nuff said?
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    when you find out let me know, i have been trying to stop being a newb forever
  • Options
    0patience:
    New Boots:
    Dunno.
    So...I'm a Newb for life around this joint?
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    When you realize that the label doesn't mean anything, you may begin the transition.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    0patience:
    New Boots:
    Dunno.
    Unless you can tell us what you know about Ray Finkle
  • Options
    New Boots:
    0patience:
    New Boots:
    Dunno.
    Hey, you chose the moniker, not me. ROFL!
    New Boots
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    If u have to ask... Ur not ready. I think it's when u stop looking over your shoulder in fear, and look forward to responding to attacks
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    newbs! so yesterday, LOL
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    New Boots:
    0patience:
    New Boots:
    Dunno.
    Hey, you chose the moniker, not me. ROFL!
    New Boots
    ROTFL -- You are are a roll today 0patience.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    thehilk:
    If u have to ask... Ur not ready. I think it's when u stop looking over your shoulder in fear, and look forward to responding to attacks
    This this 100% this. When people aren't nominating you to be bombed and/or people aren't looking at you and saying I haven bombed that newb yet.....and begin to say I ain't bombing that guy because I don't want to start a war. Either that or you have repayed all the newb bombs.
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    thehilk:
    This this 100% this. When people aren't nominating you to be bombed and/or people aren't looking at you and saying I haven bombed that newb yet.....and begin to say I ain't bombing that guy because I don't want to start a war. Either that or you have repayed all the newb bombs.
    oh i know im still young in my nebness. just wondering
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thehilk:
    +1000
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    smoke em if you got em:

Finkle is Einhorn! Have I graduated to nonnewb?
  • Options
    bbass2:
    smoke em if you got em:

laces out, dan!
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smoke em if you got em:
    New Boots:
    0patience:
    New Boots:
    Dunno.
    Dolphins kicker named Ray Finkle, whom he missed during his earlier investigation because Finkle was a mid-season replacement. Finkle had missed the potentially game-winning field goal kick at the end of Super Bowl XVII, causing the Dolphins to lose the game and his own career to fail. Finkle's entire home town turned against him and his family, and the demoralized Finkle became obsessed with Dan Marino, whom he blamed for the missed kick. What did I win? I'm no longer a newb.
  • Options
    New Boots:
    bbass2:
    smoke em if you got em:

laces out, dan!
    I don't know which is worse.
    The fact that I know what you are talking about or that someone else does too.

I know, let's make a totally stupid movie. Oh wait, I got a better idea! A Sequel!
    That's brilliant.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    smoke em if you got em:
    New Boots:
    0patience:
    New Boots:
    Dunno.
    Dolphins kicker named Ray Finkle, whom he missed during his earlier investigation because Finkle was a mid-season replacement. Finkle had missed the potentially game-winning field goal kick at the end of Super Bowl XVII, causing the Dolphins to lose the game and his own career to fail. Finkle's entire home town turned against him and his family, and the demoralized Finkle became obsessed with Dan Marino, whom he blamed for the missed kick. What did I win? I'm no longer a newb.
    Ray Finkle was hot
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    LACES OUT, DAN!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    Newb, only newbs ask about being newbs.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Glock1975:
    smoke em if you got em:
    New Boots:
    0patience:
    New Boots:
    Dunno.
    Ray Finkle was hot
    you want some gum?!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    What would you know about pressure?!
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    thehilk:
    I disagree entirely. Newbness has nothing to to with any level of bombing or not getting bombed. I've never been bombed by Kuzi or Jliu or...or...or... (you can insert so many names here), or any number of "vets". I appreciate the bombs I get, but I don't fear them. I know I can't usually respond, but that's a budget thing. It's what I get for working for a nonprofit. Since I don't send many replies or bombs myself, I don't get hit a lot. I know there are others in this same boat with various levels of activity on these boards.

As to what removes "newbness," I don't know. I just don't think bombs have anything to do with it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    An interesting question...but I am curious as to why it matters to you, or anyone? Labels are just that...tags put on people to characterize, sort, designate, and classify them. Sadly, I might suggest that upon occasion, the terms 'newb' and 'vet' are used to degrade or elevate people. What I am driving at is....who really cares?!

If one calls themselves a newbie, then perhaps they are using it as an excuse for not knowing any better, or as an opportunity to beg to be bombed, etc. Whereas if you are a 'vet', then it is perhaps you that are engaged in the said bombing mission;, acting as the peacemaker; etc.

If others are doing the labelling, then perhaps it is because one made an error; lacked or showed judgement or wisdom in a response; or even did something beyond expectation. These thoughts go for both terms.

I might suggest, that one not really worry about it, just add to the forum in positive ways and minimize inputs that are not, or that can be perceived as being negative.....and people will think fondly of you. Beyond that, if someone wishes to label you, or anyone else....it is them doing it...real or otherwise.
    Remember though, that for many things....the learning is in journey, not once one reaches the final destination. Perhaps this is one of those journeys.
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    Martel:
    brianetz1:
    thehilk:
    I disagree entirely. Newbness has nothing to to with any level of bombing or not getting bombed. I've never been bombed by Kuzi or Jliu or...or...or... (you can insert so many names here), or any number of "vets". I appreciate the bombs I get, but I don't fear them. I know I can't usually respond, but that's a budget thing. It's what I get for working for a nonprofit. Since I don't send many replies or bombs myself, I don't get hit a lot. I know there are others in this same boat with various levels of activity on these boards.

As to what removes "newbness," I don't know. I just don't think bombs have anything to do with it.
    This I have to agree with completly. When I started on the board newbs didn't get bombarded with bombs at all, maybe a welcome trade or something but there definitely wasn't any bombing of newbs like there is today. I believe I've been bombed all of two or three times since I've joined this board and I also because of budget don't send out too many so I'm perfectly content with that. As far as how to transition from newb to vet who knows and who cares.
  • Options
    danielruas:
    Martel:
    brianetz1:
    thehilk:

This I have to agree with completly. When I started on the board newbs didn't get bombarded with bombs at all, maybe a welcome trade or something but there definitely wasn't any bombing of newbs like there is today. I believe I've been bombed all of two or three times since I've joined this board and I also because of budget don't send out too many so I'm perfectly content with that. As far as how to transition from newb to vet who knows and who cares.
    im very content in my newbness!
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    brianetz1:
    thehilk:

Agreed, especially with the bomb thing. I might add, that to me, it is the motivation for the bomb that is more relevant. There are some that bomb for the recognition...there are others whom bomb and specify that they are NOT to post any pics acknowledging said acdtion..as it is a gift.

Perhaps a few questions to ask of oneself...is:
    'why are you bombing someone?'
    What if they do not post the pics for all to see?
    Do you expect to have fire returned?
    and are you in a way, disappointed if they do not?
    Perhaps the answers to these questions might reveal your place of the scale of newbie to vet. Just some random thoughts. Interested to read some replies.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    bearb:
    Martel:
    brianetz1:
    thehilk:

Agreed, especially with the bomb thing. I might add, that to me, it is the motivation for the bomb that is more relevant. There are some that bomb for the recognition...there are others whom bomb and specify that they are NOT to post any pics acknowledging said acdtion..as it is a gift.

Perhaps a few questions to ask of oneself...is:
    'why are you bombing someone?'
    What if they do not post the pics for all to see?
    Do you expect to have fire returned?
    and are you in a way, disappointed if they do not?
    Perhaps the answers to these questions might reveal your place of the scale of newbie to vet. Just some random thoughts. Interested to read some replies.
    hence why these guys are vets and i am still a newbie. just ignore me, i actually was thinking about it last night and was probably going to edit my post if no one had responded telling me that i am crazy for thinking that. I agree with the other guys.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im totally a newb.
    always have been
    always will be
    believe it or not, i still learn something more often than i teach something.