Home General Discussion

The most overrated cigar- Your opinions

So, there's several sticks out there that are highly rated, highly priced, and sometimes highly advertised. However, some of these cigars could be considered overrated. By no means does this mean they're bad smokes, but like some things that hit the mainstream of any industry or medium, they're just a little too loved, if that makes sense.

So, this brings us to the question, which cigar do you find to be the most overrated?

Myself, I find Cohiba to be in that vein. It's a nice smoke, but I've encountered a lot of people who think it's the best cigar out there. It has that wheelin' an dealin' cigar smoker luster to it. If you remember the Black Band Project videos, it would be something the guy with the fifteen cell phones would smoke.

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Can't forget Davidoff. Super expensive cigars sold to rich guys that know nothing about cigars. At least, that's how I've always viewed them.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm with you on the Cohiba! I've never had a Cohiba that was bad, but I've never had one that I felt was worth more than about $5-$6. They are just a very underwhelming cigar and priced way too high.

To me the Liga Privada is in the category as well. It isn't a bad stick at all, but it reminds me a lot of a few other smokes I can get for $3 less. I think to some people it just seems better than it is because it's Drew Estate finally doing something decent that isn't infused.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I've never had one myself, but in some of the discussions I've had at the lounge, Macanudo seems to be in this discussion. I've also had some folks tell me the same thing about the God of Fire. I'm also going to say Gurkha. I've never had one that really impressed me, but I hear a lot of praise for it.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    5 Vegas Classic.
    Yeah, its cheap and all, but it seems like everyone thinks its the best deal in the universe.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    MAJORdorMo:
    5 Vegas Classic. Yeah, its cheap and all, but it seems like everyone thinks its the best deal in the universe.
    Funny because I've always thought the exact opposite of the 5 Vegas Classic. I think it may be the best cigar available at that price.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    jpclotfelter:
    MAJORdorMo:
    5 Vegas Classic. Yeah, its cheap and all, but it seems like everyone thinks its the best deal in the universe.
    Funny because I've always thought the exact opposite of the 5 Vegas Classic. I think it may be the best cigar available at that price.

Had one last night, fantastic. The $2 a paid for it was quite obviously worth it. :)
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I've got to agree. To me the Classic tastes just like an ISOM Cohiba.... with a better draw.
    zoom6zoom:
    I've got to agree. To me the Classic tastes just like an ISOM Cohiba.... with a better draw.
    Alright, I feel really stupid for asking this, but what is ISOM?
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭

ive had one cohiba red dot and loved it, got another sitting in the humi getting some age.

ive had  4 classics and hated all of them:(

most over rated for me is anything cuban that ive smoked apart from some of the minis.

living in the uk means there readily avalable but prices start at $16 ish. and for 16 dollars i can order from the states and get a much nicer smoke.

sol1821:

ive had one cohiba red dot and loved it, got another sitting in the humi getting some age.

ive had  4 classics and hated all of them:(

most over rated for me is anything cuban that ive smoked apart from some of the minis.

living in the uk means there readily avalable but prices start at $16 ish. and for 16 dollars i can order from the states and get a much nicer smoke.

The Cohiba is a nice smoke, but not for the price you pay. And just because it's made in Cuba doesn't make a cigar good, it's about how well it's made. A common misconception is that a cigar from Cuba is the best kind of cigar. You seem to have a good perspective on that issue though.
    Hey Matt, ISOM stands for Island South Of Miami.... A covert way to say Cuban. lol We are like the freakin CIA of the cigar world around here.
    PuroFreak:
    Hey Matt, ISOM stands for Island South Of Miami.... A covert way to say Cuban. lol We are like the freakin CIA of the cigar world around here.
    Mystery solved, lol! I kind of knew it had something to do with Cuba, but I wasn't sure exactly. Thanks bro!

Matt Marvel:
    And just because it's made in Cuba doesn't make a cigar good, it's about how well it's made. A common misconception is that a cigar from Cuba is the best kind of cigar. You seem to have a good perspective on that issue though.

yer a misconception my girlfriends step dad has. ive had fun bringing him non cubans to try. you should see his face its priceless. ill give him a cigar to try, most resently a man o war. and hes blown away with it, then ill tell him were its from. then the big one, how much i paid for it:D

Matt Marvel:
    PuroFreak:
    Mystery solved, lol! I kind of knew it had something to do with Cuba, but I wasn't sure exactly. Thanks bro!
    No prob bud!
    I also disagree with the 5 Vegas Classic. That is a great solid smoke and for the price, you just can't beat it in my pissy ass little opinion. I got a box of them for $40 and you just can't get any better than that for a smoke you enjoy... But thats why they make more than one type of cigar.
    The 5 Vegas Classic isn't overrated due to it's price. It's a great smoke for a great price. I look at overrated as something that's priced like it was rolled by God himself but is generally about the same as any other smoke. This isn't always the case, sure, but for the most part that's my criteria. If you don't necessarily like a cigar, but everyone else loves it, maybe that's what you consider overrated. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    Matt Marvel:
    If you don't necessarily like a cigar, but everyone else loves it, maybe that's what you consider overrated.

That is exactly it! I mean, the 5 Vegas Classic for me is smokeable (it didn't make me gag the Perdomo Golf), but I don't feel that it is worth ANY of my money (not even if it was $1).
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Gurkha, Graycliff, any Cuban Label NC (i.e. Cohiba, Partagas, Hoyo de Monterrey, etc...), I'll get shot, but Man O War didn't do anything for me. Maybe I'll have to try another one.

In response to the Liga #9, I think that it is an excellent smoke that is very complex and flavorfull, but I will agree that they price is a little steep.

vankleekkw:
    Gurkha, Graycliff, any Cuban Label NC (i.e. Cohiba, Partagas, Hoyo de Monterrey, etc...), I'll get shot, but Man O War didn't do anything for me. Maybe I'll have to try another one.

start running.

<**** gun>

:p

• ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    haha, I love this discussion. It's cigar snobbery at its best. Keep it coming
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    I am really interested on how much it really costs to make a cigar... It is pretty cheap - I am sure of that. And the age and place the tobacco was acquired from woudn't make as big of a difference as you would think...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    PuroFreak:
    I'm with you on the Cohiba! I've never had a Cohiba that was bad, but I've never had one that I felt was worth more than about $5-$6. They are just a very underwhelming cigar and priced way too high.

To me the Liga Privada is in the category as well. It isn't a bad stick at all, but it reminds me a lot of a few other smokes I can get for $3 less. I think to some people it just seems better than it is because it's Drew Estate finally doing something decent that isn't infused.

The Liga Privada was developed for Steve Saka the Drew Estates President ....not that it has anything to do with what ya said Puro ...I'm just sayin...Personally I've not tried that one yet ... I do like most DE cigars though so I would probably like it too ...
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Graycliff 1666, good smoke, but definitely not worth 12 to 15$. I like Gurkhas, not in love with em, but they're pretty good but a bit overpriced.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    My top two are Gurkha and Graycliff. The only Graycliff I've had and liked was their CI House Blend Purple label, I thought that was very decent. As for Gurkha, I don't specifically hate their cigars, I just don't really like more than 3-4 blends and often times the price is the big prohibiting factor, I just don't think they're worth what they sell for.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I agree about the ISOM Cohiba. I had one about 2 weeks ago, and it was ok. Good flavor and good construction except for a very tight draw, and not worth anywhere near what I paid for it. Definitely over hyped.
    And yes I am sure it was real.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Ok my turn for some sticking up ...... the 5vegas i have no problem with them .....they are worth every penny and the cohiba red dots ...... i love em ...... cant really afford em but when you can get a tin of minis 10 for about 13.00 here ....... just to have one of those once in a while is fine .... as i dont always have 1-2 hours for a smoke ..... plus the wife really likes the red dots ....... iam not running around spending 15-20 bucks a stick but i did have a really expensive ashton and i thought it was garbage .... and i cant believe what some people pay for them ....... and i'll agree with davidoff being here as welll not impressed for the money
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I only had the Davidoff 2000, but I really liked it. I have no problems with them. Gurkha is my vote, the only one I've had that I didn't mind was the Centurian. I also dislike Graycliff, it was very bland to me.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've yet to have a davidoff or partagas that I've really enjoyed. I think those are the only two brands I've given up on. However, I feel macanudo is way overhyped by non-cigar smokers or maybe just novice smokers. I work with a few guys who thought macs were great until I introduced them to some decent cigars. One guy still loves his macs though.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    Graycliff 1666, good smoke, but definitely not worth 12 to 15$.
    I picked some up for $5.00 a stick (I bought 80 of them), but would never ever in a million years order from that company again.

My vote also goes to Davidoff.
  • Davidoff, Macanudo, Ashton (Though I have yet to try the VSG) Definently Cohiba. I also believe that cuban cigars are very overrated. Honduras, Nicaragua, and many other countries are producing better sticks for half the price.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    my overrated cigar? That's easy, Opus X. Probably most under rated cigar for me was probably the I-Press. (for me that is)

"Long ashes my friends."