Home General Discussion
Options

So I randomly went on Ebay, and searched for humidors.

New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
Go for it....set the filter to "Highest price first"

Comments

• Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    Some of the commercial ones look interesting… the Albas are big $$… over the top for my wallet but very handsome units. A few of the hand made ones get my attention… http://www.ebay.com/itm/HandMade-One-Of-A-Kind-Humidor-Featuring-Keyed-Miteres-/291030356572?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c2c2d25c Things seem to "calm down" a bit at the $1500 price point.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd take the sterling and jade Milton Berle. I love the look of jade.

But it seems small for the price.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    $250,000 kinda blew me away....silly kings. Not even cedar inside!
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    One thing I would caution you about randomly searching Ebay for humidors....it's a picture where you have to decide/believe what the seller is telling you and if it isn't like what you are being told then you have to send it back...you have to waste your time in this and my advice is to go with reputable businesses that will deal with you after the sale. If you have a place where you live so much the better. There are very good reputable places that sell humidors for a great price...you can even get closeouts or slightly scratched ones that aren't that big a deal but you can end up getting twice the humidor for the same price. While price is certainly something to consider remember you are buying something that you want to work...you want something that can grow into so understand that even with a 100 count cigar humidor you will wish you had gotten at least 250...it is what it is.
  • Options
    New Boots:
    $250,000 kinda blew me away....silly kings. Not even cedar inside!
    yep… not a good deal on that one, LOL!
  • Options
    Cigary, I 100% agree. It was more of browsing, than anything. Kinda like window shopping on my laptop. Something like that, I won't buy sight unseen. I already know I need at least a 300 for the next one I pick up.
  • Options
    Martel:

I like how they have to explain who Milton Berle was… Milton must have had a hundred humidors arriving filled from fans, friends and potential clients.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey I got one of those! LOL Sort of. Mine looks more like this one though.

Vintage Antique Copper Lined Wood Cigar Tobacco Storage Table Smoking Stand

I really can't claim any credit for it though. My wife bought it by herself a few years ago just to use it as a bedside table and had no idea it was an old humidor. LOL
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Hey I got one of those! LOL Sort of. Mine looks more like this one though.

Vintage Antique Copper Lined Wood Cigar Tobacco Storage Table Smoking Stand

I really can't claim any credit for it though. My wife bought it by herself a few years ago just to use it as a bedside table and had no idea it was an old humidor. LOL
    That price is a bit better
  • Options
    yep… that's about right! I see these fairly often going cheap… tin lined, copper lined or milk glass lined. I bet that with a re-seal and modern humidification that would make an excellent place to store smokes. (I'd want to add a bit of Spanish cedar… maybe stacking shelves)
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    New Boots:
    Cigary, I 100% agree. It was more of browsing, than anything. Kinda like window shopping on my laptop. Something like that, I won't buy sight unseen. I already know I need at least a 300 for the next one I pick up.
    I got a 300 for my second humi, it filled up really quickly, I never got into the coolers and didn't have need for that much storage but I just recently got a 600ct and it's great so skip the 300 and go straight for 600
  • Options
    danielruas:
    New Boots:
    I got a 300 for my second humi, it filled up really quickly, I never got into the coolers and didn't have need for that much storage but I just recently got a 600ct and it's great so skip the 300 and go straight for 600
    Well, I'm waiting till after the holidays. Wondering if the wife picked something up.
  • Options
    danielruas:
    I started with a 100 count, got another, added a cooler, recently added (and am currently seasoning) a 300 count… hope to consolidate a bit. The habit has a way of exxxxpaannnndddinnnggggg.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    PAtoNH:
    Martel:

I like how they have to explain who Milton Berle was… Milton must have had a hundred humidors arriving filled from fans, friends and potential clients.
    I know, right. If you're older than I am (36) and don't know who he is, shame on you. If you're younger, well, okay.

But I still think it's too small for the price.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    well, you're buying a collectible, not a humidor.
  • Options
    PAtoNH:
    well, you're buying a collectible, not a humidor.
    I'm at least 9 years from buying collectibles.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Milton Berle humidor is a really nice collectible but I wonder how many of those were produced to begin with. I didn't see any reference to that fact. That would affect the price. I am guessing the price listed is very inflated.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I dont know if i would trust buying a humi on ebay.... my luck would be it infested with beetles or something stupid... How would you know if it sealed right or didnt smell like varnish or glue all hardcore like inside.

Aj
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    I dont know if i would trust buying a humi on ebay.... my luck would be it infested with beetles or something stupid... How would you know if it sealed right or didnt smell like varnish or glue all hardcore like inside.

Aj
    I don't trust Ebay at all. Not nearly enough regulations on the status of the end items.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj
    I don't trust Ebay at all. Not nearly enough regulations on the status of the end items.
    Well i would say it has its place.... id die without ebay for my automotive needs. but for my smokes? I dont think so. It conjures images up dry wall with chemicals leeching out or kids toys covered in lead paint!

Aj
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    My buddy got a nice daniel marshall off there for a great price!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    They actually have a lot of buyer protection in place. Years ago when they had less buyer protection and PP was not the only way to pay (additional protection) I bought two cabinet humis and a DM mint in the box and had no problems.
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Paypal is a nice way to pay today, and safer than a regular credit card. If you are not satisfied with your product, you can dispute the transaction and with thier buyer protection policies in place most times it helps the buyer.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    flowbee:
    Paypal is a nice way to pay today, and safer than a regular credit card. If you are not satisfied with your product, you can dispute the transaction and with thier buyer protection policies in place most times it helps the buyer.
    ummm.....paypall sucks. Paypals are constant targets for identity thieves because all you need is a username and password to take over someone's credit card/account. Once they get that it is actually pretty darn tough to get your paypal back because they can change the password and can even change the default email. The only thing you can do at that point is to cancel the credit card that is attached.

I have seen plenty of people have this happen to them.....it got the point where i canceled my paypall because it happened so many times to friends.