Home General Discussion

will this ridiculousness not ever end...

blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
I was away for about 5 months, still perusing but just not buying and not active posting. I mainly left because of my disgust with the obscene RG trend being forced down our throats. But also because I was busy with my young son, but that aside I still have time for cigars and chat daily. I was pleased in the last few months to see MANY manufacturers are releasing more corona gordas, and many more lanceros and coronas. So we have some slight sway among manufacturers. I left for an island more agreeable to the standard cigar sizes, but that aside I was pleased lately things were bring offered for those if us who smoke regularly. I read this tonight from CA. Disgusting to say the least. I guess it's a business but who is smoking these regularly enough to be more powerful in determining decisions than those if us who smoke regularly?

And speaking of 7 by 70 inch cigars, General wasn't the only one offering up these colossi. Boutique Blends (the boutique arm of Habana Cuba Cigar Co.) debuted a Swag "S" 7 by 70 called The Bawse; E.P.C. Cigar has a 7 by 70 in their Inch line; and Asylum 13, which is made by Christian Eiroa's Tabacaleras Unidas, went so far as to roll a 6 inch by 80 ring cigar. I saw it. Aptly named the 80 x 6, the cigar is about as thick as the cardboard tube you find inside a roll of paper towels. Sometimes I don't recognize this industry.

I don't recognize the industry anymore either, but I'm a young guy only smoking for 6 years. But I know I'm choosing to shop elsewhere where this industry should be focusing on keeping keeping American cigar lovers buying here, not you know where. I'll still buy the regular sizes but when a brand releases a 7 by 70, I just blacklist it. Just my opinions.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't have a favoite ring guage. A 60 is ok but big enough in my book. Anything above that is getting too big. I won't smoke 'em. Don't really know who is gonna' smoke these big'uns. Drunken frat boys? I don't think these monsters will sell very well in the long run.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I agree best way to vote is with your wallet, I recently really started liking Corona gorda, petit corona, lanceros and the very rare lonsdale, you really appreciate the flavor of the wrapper
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost never buy anything smaller than 47 or larger than 52. The occasional lancero catches my eye, but not as a regular thing. Those gi-normous fatties you see, well, I think Bob's drunken frat boy post was on the right track.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being relativity new to the cigar world (yr +) A lot of what I have are the Toro, Torp and Beli A buddy was looking through one of my Humi"s and pulled out a LFD lancero, looked at it and said he would be embarrased to be seen on the golf course with something like that. I just smiled, I don't have problem keeping it a little longer!
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I hate Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. It tastes like cough syrup. Lots of people love it and it sells great, so they brew it and market it heavily. I love lots of their other beers an buy them regularly, though they don't market them nearly as heavily and I can't find them at every convenience store like I can the Cherry Wheat. I don't care though, I seek and find the ones I want.

Why would you blacklist an entire manufacturer for one offering? That's crazier than an 7 x 70, or an 8 x 80 even, IMO.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    I hate Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. It tastes like cough syrup. Lots of people love it and it sells great, so they brew it and market it heavily. I love lots of their other beers an buy them regularly, though they don't market them nearly as heavily and I can't find them at every convenience store like I can the Cherry Wheat. I don't care though, I seek and find the ones I want.

Why would you blacklist an entire manufacturer for one offering? That's crazier than an 7 x 70, or an 8 x 80 even, IMO.
    i agree with Ken.

Just don't buy them. If they aren't selling then the big RG craze will go away, but someone must be buying them because the cigar makers are all coming out with them.

this has been a topic on the various cigar webcasts more often than i know, and every time they have a cigar maker on there they explain that the 6x60 is the best selling vitola in their offering, even in the boutique side of things. So as long as that is selling better than the smaller RG then they are going to continue making them.

so instead of blacklisting a company buy a box of the smaller RG to make up for the 15+ dudes going to the golf course, the lake or working around the yard who just bought a 6x60 or 7x70 over the weekend because it is a 2+ hour smoke that doesn't burn hotter if you smoke it fast, the flavors are muted so it is better for the non regular smoker, it can be relight without really affecting the flavor if you get distracted, and in general they feel they are getting a deal because the big RG is only .99 more than a 5x48.

it is simple supply and demand. If the demand for the smaller RGs outweigh the large RG then it will swing back.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    I hate Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. It tastes like cough syrup.
    Yes
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Its strange how my personal tastes and the cigar community's tastes have changed. As I smoke more I smoke smaller and smaller cigars. Ans I go down the path I gave been smoking more and more mild cigars. The industry has been getting bigger and stronger. Getting harder and harder to find a cigar I want to buy.
  • I've had the Kristania 7x70 and the Asylum 13 7x70....i have the 6x80 in my humidor...they are all under 9 dollars...here anyways. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon...I just happened to enjoy them. I like bigger ring gauges...but I couldn't smoke these daily...more of a party cigar lol...and a novelty to most. Though this reminds me of that small run of Opus X cigars in the shape of footballs. I think only like 3 were made.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I also have found myself preferring smaller ring gauge cigars. I generally don't go over a 54, almost never over a 56, and more often than not I stay within the 46-50 range. That being said, I wouldn't boycott a manufacturer just because they released a large ring gauge. If, for instance, Illusione added a 7x70 to their normal line, I probably wouldn't buy it, but I would still buy the hell out of the 888 and F9. Cigar production is a business, they need to make profit. If they can profit from making huge ring gauge cigars, then why shouldn't they? Just because I don't prefer them doesn't mean others don't. That's along the lines of saying that just because I don't like Acids, DE should just quit making them. There are tons of people out there who smoke nothing but Acids/infused cigars. Just like I am sure there are tons of people who prefer 60+ RG's. If that's what they are into, then why hate it?

I'm not going to buy anything that large, but others should be able to if they want. The first thing I tell newer smokers when they ask for advice is: enjoy it. Its your hobby, find your own little ritual, find the cigars you enjoy smoking, do whatever works for you. If you dig a certain cigar or a certain way of smoking, don't let someone else tell you it isn't a good cigar or you're doing it wrong. Always keep an open mind and be willing to try new things, but ultimately this is something you are spending money and time on, it should be something you enjoy. That advice is true here, I believe. If what a person enjoys is a 70 RG cigar, then by all means, let them enjoy it.
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    I hate Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. It tastes like cough syrup.
    Yes
    I third this, I love Sam Adams but I don't understand how anyone drinks this beer. I also hate summer shandys.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting, just today on an impulse at my B&M I picked up 3 of the Asylum 13 barber pole sticks, one for my self and two for a surprise in some future trade. Wish I would have checked the online price first but live and learn. Figured it would make for a nice bonus but if the consensus is no one here would smoke it guess I had better ask before I send it.

For me I like a 50+ RG and even I think the 70 is over kill but am still looking forward to trying this Asylum
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    B&M price is always a little higher, but you have to support those guys! Especially if it's "your" B&M. As for me...50rg is the max I like.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    Very interesting, just today on an impulse at my B&M I picked up 3 of the Asylum 13 barber pole sticks, one for my self and two for a surprise in some future trade. Wish I would have checked the online price first but live and learn. Figured it would make for a nice bonus but if the consensus is no one here would smoke it guess I had better ask before I send it.

For me I like a 50+ RG and even I think the 70 is over kill but am still looking forward to trying this Asylum
    I admit I like the look of the Ogre, but the 7x70 is just a jaw breaker! I'd like to see that type of barber pole on something a little smaller.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    B&M price is always a little higher, but you have to support those guys! Especially if it's "your" B&M. As for me...50rg is the max I like.
    this also goes with certain criteria...box press IMO 54-56 is ok and torpedo 56 is ok. Yeah I know what you bought and IMO way too big!! I'm a corona guy and robusto this won't change.. Torro depending on rg but on just normal rg 52 is the highest I'll go
    Money can't buy taste
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Rain:

Totally agree, I just didn't do any home work on researching this cigar and paid $11 (thinking that was cheap for a barber pole) and Ccom has it for $8. I was really buying it thinking I was buying a $10+ cigar so I had something to spice up a trade one day
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    Rain:

Totally agree, I just didn't do any home work on researching this cigar and paid $11 (thinking that was cheap for a barber pole) and Ccom has it for $8. I was really buying it thinking I was buying a $10+ cigar so I had something to spice up a trade one day
    dont forget the bigger not the better!!
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    FireRob:
    Rain:

dont forget the bigger not the better!!
    honestly what happened to smoke what you like and like what you smoke?

FireRob, don't change what you like just because the majority of the guys here like to smoke smaller ring gauge cigars. I still enjoy a 56 ring gauge cigar. 60 gets a little too big for me, but I'll still smoke them in certain situations. YOu will hear that the wrapper to binder ration is lower on smaller ring gauge cigars so you get more flavors, but honestly maybe you like the flavors that the binder and filler tobaccos bring at this point in your cigar smoking life. Personally i don't like lanceros. I hate the way they feel in my mouth, hate the fact that you have to pay attention to every single puff, have to make sure that you aren't smoking too fast, have to make sure that you aren't smoking too slow.

To me the bump in flavor isn't pronounced enough for me to taste it and a robusto works great for me.

so smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Your flavor profile is completely different than the next person.
    FireRob:
    Rain:

Don't get too discouraged. Many people would still appreciate the cigar. I'm obviously a lancero guy (the opposite of what you bought), but I have a BIL that does enjoy the larger cigars. Tons of us have friends that have their fingers in the humidor, so very few cigars are truly safe!
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    And then man discovered fire luckily he had a mastodon roller.
    brianetz1:
    Personally i don't like lanceros.
    I knew there was a reason I didn't like you......LOL!!!!
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    FireRob:

I admit I like the look of the Ogre, but the 7x70 is just a jaw breaker! I'd like to see that type of barber pole on something a little smaller.

just saw an article today that the Ogre is being released in smaller sizes. 5 x 50, 6 x 60 and a bigger one in 6 x 80
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Brian is 100% right. I'm not trying to influence your vitola choice! I like smaller because I get more smoke and an easier draw, IMHO.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Double Corona doesnt mean two coronas. bwahahaha.

Personally, big and small, I like them all.
    ddubridge:
    Rain:

i think you just said you like fattys......
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    ddubridge:
    Rain:

i think you just said you like fattys......
    Fattys need love too.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the long and skinnies....

But sometimes a cigar is just better when it's effing huge.

But not always!
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I've smoked plenty of fattys, but I just seem to get bored with them. I enjoy the nubs which are 60rg, but that is the exception. At my local B&M you'd think they only make 60rg, cuz everyone smokes them except for me. It's like driving a Miata while surrounded by F150's.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I'm all about a good 6X60 or bigger for my time golfing. They, to me, stay lit when they roll off the cart when I forget where I put it down and I can get a solid 9 or more holes before I need to light another.
    firetruckguy:
    I'm all about a good 6X60 or bigger for my time golfing. They, to me, stay lit when they roll off the cart when I forget where I put it down and I can get a solid 9 or more holes before I need to light another.
    Same thing while fishing or yard work