Home General Discussion
Options

Where did you serve?

EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
It seems there are a lot of vets and some active duty here. So where and when did you serve? I served in the 82nd Airborne during the 80s and smoked my first cigar--some nasty a$$ thing from 7-11--when I graduated from jump school.
-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

Comments

• Options
    KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    87-91. Stationed in Hanau Germany. Served in Operation Desert Storm in 90-91.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    98-present. Started off at Bragg (Airborne!!), went to Schofield Barracks, Hawaii where I deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq, then to Fort Polk, then to Korea, then to Fort Hood where I am currently deployed to Afghanistan out of. Aside from regular duty stations and deployments, I went up to Monatana for a month to fight wildfires back in 99 or 2000, and have been at Fort Benning, Fort Sill, Fort Jackson, and Fort McCoy for various schools/training.
  • Options
    TexvetTexvet Posts: 39
    I thank you all for your service!
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    94-02 good ole Ft Riley. Was supposed to go to Germany after basic... but they decided to move the Big Red 1back to Ft Riley. So I spent my active time there and my reserve time in Wichita. Ya big traveler.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    macs-smokes:
    94-02 good ole Ft Riley. Was supposed to go to Germany after basic... but they decided to move the Big Red 1back to Ft Riley. So I spent my active time there and my reserve time in Wichita. Ya big traveler.
    I answered this in the Non-Cigar section, same question, But had to acknowledge another Big Red 1. I'd have probably stayed if they'd have left me in Germany, didn't know that they withdrew the whole division, but most everyone I knew had been transeferred to other places, or gotten out by '94, myself included. I must say, I didn't really care for life up on Custer Hill, though, I'd have gotten out if they'd sent me back there, too. I think.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    @ Amos
    Worlds worst traveler here... I was born on Ft. Riley, tried to see the planet, and end up right back where I started. I actually did get to see some fun type places Georgia is not one of them. (I hated that school)
    But ended up settling down in Ta' Town. Its all good...

Thank you to those who served before and after my time.
  • Options
    Your sevice is appreciated. All of you.
  • Options
    I enlisted in the USMC in 1973, retired in 1993. Served in N & S Carolina, California, Virginia, Japan, Philippines, Norway, Denmark, and Desert Shield/Storm. And I spent some time on various Navy ships
  • Options
    Gino USMCGino USMC Posts: 127
    Enlisted in the corps in 04 to present. Went to Iraq in 06 then went to Embassy Duty in 07. Guarded the Embassies in Muscat, Oman/ Tashkent, Uzbekistan/ and The Hague, The Netherlands. Now currenty on deployment on the USS Nimitz.
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    86-91 Navy, NAS Miramar VF-51 Screaming Eagles and at Top Gun, Carrier Air Wing 15 aboard CVN-70 USS Carl Vinson!!!! And a shellback if you know what that is.....wogs
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    98-06 US Navy, AIMD NAS Whidbey Island VP-1 Screaming Eagles. Oohrah Shell back + 1 for Blue Nose, dig that Brown Shoes
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    1991-2007 U.S.M.C. san diego, panama , diego garcia, several naval ships, DEA assistance
  • Options
    Oorah Shellback +2
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    98-present. Started off at Bragg (Airborne!!), went to Schofield Barracks, Hawaii where I deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq, then to Fort Polk, then to Korea, then to Fort Hood where I am currently deployed to Afghanistan out of. Aside from regular duty stations and deployments, I went up to Monatana for a month to fight wildfires back in 99 or 2000, and have been at Fort Benning, Fort Sill, Fort Jackson, and Fort McCoy for various schools/training.
    I know that structure of THE Division has changd but I was Charlie Co. 2/325 AIR (White Falcons). All the way! Eric
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    86-91 Navy, NAS Miramar VF-51 Screaming Eagles and at Top Gun, Carrier Air Wing 15 aboard CVN-70 USS Carl Vinson!!!! And a shellback if you know what that is.....wogs
    Tomcats Forever baby! I spent time in the VF-101 house of pain and cruised with VF-211
  • Options
    I wish I could have seen Tomcats on the flight deck.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Duty First
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Gino USMC:
    I wish I could have seen Tomcats on the flight deck.
    It was pretty cool, of course back then we also had the A7's on deck the Maneater!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Duty First
    Big Red One motto
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Forgot to mention I also spent six months on the Sinai.