Home General Discussion
Options

Some Foundation Questions to Get Started

No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
I have been doing a lot of research through forums, websites, etc in the last week to start up my new Cigar hobby. However, I haven't found very specific answers to these questions. They may seem silly, and I have a general idea for all of them, but please grace me with your wisdom :)

1. In trying to choose a lighter and get away from using matches or (gasp) a cigarette lighter, there seems to be a lot of choices that I don't know if they make much of a difference. Multiple flames, large or small adjustment knob, cost fluctuations. Is there a reason I shouldn't just get a single flame, $20-$25 lighter with a good sized reservoir? Also, without many reviews available, anyone have a suggestion for that price range for one with good wind resistance?

2. I've been looking for B&Ms around, and have recently purchased an amazing mild hand-rolled cigar from a local liquor store (no brand) but they don't have much other than Acids. So, there are larger stores within acceptable distance, but their sites are intimidating. High prices, beautiful facilities and the like.. it seems like I wouldn't be welcome there. This question is, how open to new youngsters are places like this? I'm sure I'd have a lot of questions, my current hair-do is a bit different, and I'm 22.

3. I have very little experience outside of real cheap machine-mades so I'm starting with and loving mild to mild-medium cigars. Even if I do a sampler with all different bodies, is gravitating towards one end of the spectrum looked down upon? Or are there stereotypes that come with each body?

4. Again on accessory choices... does the expense of the ashtray just equate to how ornate it is or is there some functionality to having a $50 one vs. a $10 one?

Thanks for your time, I look forward to learning more and hopefully participating as I can.

Comments

• Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    I have been doing a lot of research through forums, websites, etc in the last week to start up my new Cigar hobby. However, I haven't found very specific answers to these questions. They may seem silly, and I have a general idea for all of them, but please grace me with your wisdom :)
    I am dumb as a box of rocks, but I will try to share with you the little I know.

No_one21:
    1. In trying to choose a lighter and get away from using matches or (gasp) a cigarette lighter, there seems to be a lot of choices that I don't know if they make much of a difference. Multiple flames, large or small adjustment knob, cost fluctuations. Is there a reason I shouldn't just get a single flame, $20-$25 lighter with a good sized reservoir? Also, without many reviews available, anyone have a suggestion for that price range for one with good wind resistance?
    All personal preferance. Some love the multi flames, some love the matches. A good cheapo to start with is the Ronson Jetlite. For many here it is their go to lighter. I like a torch for ease of use and touch ups. Others like matches. Still others like soft flames. Only thing to avoid is Zippo style lighter fluid lighters, as they will add flavor to your smokes. Delicious, delicious kerosene flavor.
    No_one21:
    2. I've been looking for B&Ms around, and have recently purchased an amazing mild hand-rolled cigar from a local liquor store (no brand) but they don't have much other than Acids. So, there are larger stores within acceptable distance, but their sites are intimidating. High prices, beautiful facilities and the like.. it seems like I wouldn't be welcome there. This question is, how open to new youngsters are places like this? I'm sure I'd have a lot of questions, my current hair-do is a bit different, and I'm 22.
    B&M cigar stores are like almost any other niche store. Some are very welcoming. Some are populated by ... not so nice people. For the most part, cigar smokers and lounges fall into the former. All kinds of people smoke cigars, and love to mingle together sharing stories, cigar knowledge, and just general BSing. Just think of it like joining a new forum. Take the time to meet the people and learn the atmosphere before stirring the pot.

No_one21:
    3. I have very little experience outside of real cheap machine-mades so I'm starting with and loving mild to mild-medium cigars. Even if I do a sampler with all different bodies, is gravitating towards one end of the spectrum looked down upon? Or are there stereotypes that come with each body?
    Everyone's taste is different. Not only that, but most people tend to have their tastes change over time. Really, the only advice I can give here is never turn down a free cigar, but buy what you like. Life is too short to waste time judging people on what they smoke.

No_one21:
    4. Again on accessory choices... does the expense of the ashtray just equate to how ornate it is or is there some functionality to having a $50 one vs. a $10 one?
    Maybe better materials. Maybe a deeper bowl. Maybe more functional. I really have little to offer on this, as I tend not to smoke in places with ash trays.

Also, since I apparently missed your newbie post: Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    First things first. Welcome to the forum! I would recommend staying away from a zippo, due to the fumes it puts off from the fluid. There are tons of reasonable lighters out there to pick from. My very first cigar lighter was the Ronson Jet Lite, you can usually pick those up in the impulse buy section at walmart right before you check out. Its under 5 bucks and its quite honestly one of the most reliable lighters I have today.
    Liquor stores are usually only going to carry main stream names, and usually have expensive prices. Most B&M shops that I have visited have been very welcoming. That's the great thing about the cigar community, You never meet a stranger in most cases. I have sparked up a 2 hour conversation with someone I never met before (im a pretty shy person also). But I only get to a B&M every week or so. The best place to just flat out buy cigars is somewhere online (preferably here) you can almost always find a better price and fairly cheap shipping. If you are a beginner I would recommend buying samplers at first until you find the flavors, blends, wrappers, and sizes you like.

As far as the ash tray goes, Its all in how much you want to spend. There is no functionality into them other than holding ashes.

Hope this helps, and stick around here for a while there are tons of people here willing to help.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    First off welcome to your new hobby.
    On lighters, the more flames you get, the hotter it burnes, easy to scortch your cigar, so you need to be careful. On brand, I believe that you get what you pay for, but I have not tried enough to reccomend any. ( I still use matches most of the time.)

On b&m's, imho, cigar lovers are generally a very accepting group of people, but there is always the exception to the rule.

As far as strength goes, try new things and smoke what you like. Sometimes if it says its medium bodied, it leans more toward full and vice verse. But just like everyone is different, so is every cigar. Try alot and take notes!!

Ashtrays are something that I dont use, I smoke outside. To me its mostly cosmetic. You could use an old coffee can or spend more for one with a spacific logo that you like.

Hope that helps.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey welcome to the forum. As far as lighters I've used many my favorite is the Ronson Jet-lite. It's cheap and reliable. But most of the time I just use an ordinary BIC.
    As for B&M's yes there are probably some out there that may be on the snobbish side. But it's my experience that most welcome anybody gladly and are more than willing to help you pick out a cigar that you may like. Being new its always good to start off with mild's and mediums.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Welcome to the forum! Lighters agree with what eveyone has said previously. However, I have recently went back to matches and say I am quit impressed at their lighting ability. Ashtrays are subjective in my opinion. I have an ornate one, some use the "stinky" brand, others have found them at garage sales, etc. For finding what you like most people around here suggest samplers to figure out what best suits you, mild, medium, full, knock your socks off, super flavorful vs. muted nuanced flavors, wrapper preference, etc. Lastly, the people in cigar shops are usually helpful but its like any other business you do have the pushy salesman who says "X" brand cigar is the best cigar but it may not be for you. Questions are encouraged especially around here, just use the search function first, this also helps to break the ice with the people in BMs and shops, they can be simply like, "What have you got in a Habano wrapper that is full bodied." I will say this, I have found that as you increase your knowledge on this lovely and relaxing hobby you can usually quell the pushy salesman and blowhards around the BM's pretty quickly if thats what you are worried about. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Awesome you guys! Looks like the Ronson Jet Lite is a good candidate for lighter. I kind of assumed I would be ok at a B&M due to the general feeling I get from such a crowd, but I think I'll hold off on that until I'm a bit more knowledgeable and maybe when I get rid of this mohawk lol

If you didn't see my newbie post, I started with a sampler from here so I'd like to continue trying samplers as time goes on. Seems like the best idea and most supported one so far. And if there's nothing magical I'm missing about the ashtrays then I'll leave them be since I smoke outside and don't have an issue of where to put the ash generally.

Thanks a lot for the great welcome and help.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    if you are willing to put some cash into a nice lighter, go with Xikar. Unconditional lifetime warranty makes it worth it. i prefer a soft flame but in the wind it can be difficult. a torch will work better in that situation. there are tons of people that prefer a torch. this really is a preference
    if you dont know if you like a soft flame or a torch then buy some gas station cheapies of each kind and give em a shot.

if you like a torch and you dont want to put money into it, the jetlight from ronson seems to be the go-to.

No_one21:
    it really depends on the area. the shop i go to has all kinds of folks. you can look like trash but as long as you dont act like an *** youll be liked. not everyone is as accepting as that though.

if you can, make sure you can light your cigars like you have done it before, and not act foolish. this will help give you some credibility. it sucks, but people are dumb and sometimes they judge by looks.

also, read through my Etiquite thread. it may help.
    No_one21:
    the worst i have ever seen is "quit smoking that mild cigar you pu$$y" as a joke. in reality, most dont care. its none of their business even if they do. if thats your thing, thats your thing. go with it.
    No_one21:

nope. just get one that you like. aim for a deeper bowl if you can.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    The Kuzi has spoken! Lol
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Just don't get that quadruple, mega lazer torch. It might burn your mohawk. This community couldn't give a damn about what your hair style is. Welcome.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Wait you have a Mohawk ???
    You might be of the minority who has hair !!!!
    LOL !!!
    Welcome to the forums !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:

Welcome to the forums, there is a wealth of information here, take advantage of it.

No_one21:

Honestly, my favorite lighter is an $8 Colibri I got when I first got into the hobby. I have used Xikar, Promethius, Bugatti, and a few other brands since then, and I still always go back to that little Colibri. It never has given me any issues, I never purge it or anything, just pump in more butane and it works like a champ. I've had it about 4 years now.

No_one21:

I used to work at a tattoo shop in Louisiana. The owner of that shop and I would frequent a really nice shop/lounge down in Lake Charles. We never felt like we weren't welcome or felt out of place. The cigar community, I have found, is an anomaly in that it doesn't seem to be judgmental at all. No one cares what you look like or even what brand of cigars you smoked, just that you are an enthusiast. Just like everything else, you are always going to run in to the occasional ***, but from my experiences, cigar shops tend to be some of the most welcoming establishments you can go to, for smokers of all experience levels. I've been to shops in Louisiana, Hawaii, Oklahoma, Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Virginia, and I have this to pretty much be true all those places. I'd check out those shops you mentioned. Absolute worst case, if they are dicks, just don't give them your business.

No_one21:

Not at all. I know some people who only smoke one or two brands of cigars. There are some people who only smoke Acids. I personally lean towards more full-bodied stuff, but I enjoy medium and milder-ish stuff from time to time. Then there are those who smoke every possible type of cigar. Like I said above, no one judges people on what they smoke, it just seems like other enthusiasts are happy to see you enjoying a cigar.

No_one21:

This is pretty much just personal taste. Go with whatever you find aesthetically pleasing, or, if you don't care about the looks of it, grab a terracotta plant pot and throw your ashes/butts in there.

No_one21:
    Thanks for your time, I look forward to learning more and hopefully participating as I can.

Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome brother. We sure could use your address for the files.
  • Options
    Haha even more great advice and info from everyone. Yes I have a mohawk currently but it won't last super long and is only 2 inches high. It's mostly in the style that a lot of professional soccer players have theirs (I play... a LOT and watch a lot of soccer).

Also, I was at Rite Aid tonight and saw those Ronsons. I figured the sampler should come soon so I picked 2 up, so I don't have to reload if one runs out :) and a tube of butane fuel. Cheap and seems worth it.

As to address, 2 people have already asked. Do I just keep giving it out? Oh and,I've looked at the Newbie Trading thread and it seems like everyone is trading really good stuff but there's no way I'm going to have a bunch of spare unique or interesting cigars around often so I feel like I wouldn't be good at that.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Welcome to the hobby and welcome to the forum.

I have had expensive lighters and cheap lighters. I live in a windy area so I need a torch type 90% of the time. I got the Ronson Jetlite from Walmart (or Walgreens) for about $3 and it is my go to. If you PM me your addy I will send you one.

For a year, I just did samplers that I got on the site here. During that year I learned what I liked and didnt. BUT, my taste changes a lot so samplers are a good start. I also kept a little notebook to write things down as I smoked because I couldnt remember what I liked or didnt a week later.

Enjoy, find some local friends (to me its more fun smoking with friends), try things, keep notes and ask a lot of questions. The folks here helped me a lot, just remember that tastes vary.

EDIT
    OOPS I see you already got a lighter.........

As to trading dont worry about your selection vs others. All of us enjoy lots of things and most of mine are not expensive.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    As to address, 2 people have already asked. Do I just keep giving it out? Oh and,I've looked at the Newbie Trading thread and it seems like everyone is trading really good stuff but there's no way I'm going to have a bunch of spare unique or interesting cigars around often so I feel like I wouldn't be good at that.
    Keep giving it out. It's out now and there is now stopping your fate. Everyone around here is super nice and would be happy to trade with you no mater what you have. It's the thought that counts. Now get your a$$ over to the trading thread and lets get started.

Hang out, ask questions, and enjoy the ride. You've got a good start.
  • Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    ddubridge:
    No_one21:
    Keep giving it out. It's out now and there is now stopping your fate. Everyone around here is super nice and would be happy to trade with you no mater what you have. It's the thought that counts. Now get your a$$ over to the trading thread and lets get started.

beware of these guys if you have a small humidor. Just saying.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Bamablows:
    ddubridge:
    No_one21:

These guys are great! especially ddubridge.
    fixed it.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Oh, and one piece of advice no one here has mentioned yet, get a bigger humidor. After reading that, whatever size you are now considering getting, get a bigger one.
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    No_one21:

You should trust only me, you have a pm.....
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Oh, and one piece of advice no one here has mentioned yet, get a bigger humidor. After reading that, whatever size you are now considering getting, get a bigger one.
    yes yes yes.

if you dont you will kick yourself
  • Options
    Figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread.

So my new question is this: Why buy boxes, or anything more than a 5-pack?

I understand if you have an absolute favorite or something. If you have a party or are celebrating a wedding/child etc. Also I'd understand if a cigar w going out of production and you wanted to save some. Otherwise, I just feel like it'd be excessive and waste Humidor space. I mean it seems like a lot of you are smoking a different cigar every day so how do you keep so many different ones while still having boxes?

As always thanks for your time.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well,............I remember my first box purchase. I even split it with a friend. It was because I had finally found one that I wanted to have again and again and I was also motivated by a rumor that they were discontinued. (They are still available. LOL) However I've bought more cigars by the ten pack than I have by the box. But I have bought quite a few boxes too. It's really more of a collection than a supply. If all I wanted to do was keep a supply of cigars I intended to smoke I could get by with a small desktop. As it is I use a few desktops and a few coolers. And I did I mention the subject of aging cigars? That takes years. I've been into cigars for just over two years and I don't even have a handful that are more than a year old. But, now all I need to do is wait.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Welcome to the forums Brotha! it looks like most of the original questions have been covered and I was actually going to post a comment telling you not to over-invest in something that you like early on... and sure enough, you kind of asked the question...

the warning I give to most new guys is "Don't go nuts buying the first stick you really like." The reason I say that is because your palate is going to change... I remember the first box I bought here on Ccom was the Diesel Unlimited Torpedo... and about 16 months later, I still had 85% of the box left... I ended up trading them away... when you're learning about different cigars from different regions with different wrappers, it's really hard to know what you like and don't like... or what you will like 6 months from now...

Here are a few things I did when I was getting started

Buy Samplers - whether they are brand specific samplers that show off different offerings from one particular brand, or samplers that are all Maduro wrappers, or whatever... this allows you to try different stuff without making a major $ commitment and you can start to get an idea of your likes and dislikes

Get involved in trades here on Ccom: Folks love to help out new guys and it is a great way to establish yourself as a member of the community and try new stuff. I've been here since 09 and I am still making trades to pick up cigars that I want to try

Get to know someone who works at your local shop: This can be tough, but it's very beneficial... they can help you pick out things that you may like and stay away from stuff that you may not like or be ready for...

Buying boxes is fun and there is a place for it... when there is something limited, for example, is a good reason to get one... for me, I buy boxes of things that I would want to smoke everyday... once you get to know cigars a bit better, you'll have a better idea of what will age well (box purchases tend to last a long time)... It also depends on how much you smoke... some guys put back 7-8 sticks a day, some just 1... so if you're the latter, then buying a box may not make sense for you, but the former is going through a few boxes per month...

ultimately this is all personal preference... there are few hard and fast rules... from cutting, to lighting, to smoking speed, everyone is different
  • Options
    Great answers both of you. My plan I've made is to buy pretty exclusively samplers from this site and others unless I really feel the need for 5-10 of one kind. It seems like at my smoking speed and with how many different cigars are out there that I won't likely run out of samplers for a long time. I always want new things in my life and samplers = lots of new.

However I need to also get samplers that have 2-3 of each cigar I think because I certainly want to get into trading and wouldn't want to give the only one of something away.

So, about seeing people smoking a different cigar every day: Is this based on a large collection, just buying singles/samplers, or maybe only posting one type once and if they repeat just not posting that? Or any combo of them I suppose...
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    for me personally, I smoke different stuff almost every day because i am writing reviews for my site or preparing for one of my CigarChat shows... but that is just my first stick of the day... anything after that is something I personally like and want to revisit or something I have a bunch of...
  • Options
    One more quick question. My new humidor came today and I've been calibrating the hygrometer for 10 hours now. The setup seems right from my research and the hygrometer went from about 59 at the beginning all the way up to 71 max. Now it's plateaued at 69 ish for the last 6 hours. Do you guy think I could adjust to 75 now and start charging the humidor? I will wait if I have to and I know I shouldn't rush but I can't help being anxious :)
  • Options
    No_one21:
    One more quick question. My new humidor came today and I've been calibrating the hygrometer for 10 hours now. The setup seems right from my research and the hygrometer went from about 59 at the beginning all the way up to 71 max. Now it's plateaued at 69 ish for the last 6 hours. Do you guy think I could adjust to 75 now and start charging the humidor? I will wait if I have to and I know I shouldn't rush but I can't help being anxious :)
    You could adjust it but be sure to give it another 8 hrs or more to see where you end up. What I mean is, you might not end up at 75% 8 hrs later even though you adjusted it to 75% 8 yrs earlier. I'm assuming you have the analog hygrometer. Those are kinda touchy when it comes to adjusting them. After adjustments are made and you re-check it with more salt testing, it might climb or fall a few few percentage points sometimes as much as 5%. If it were me I'd just put a little piece of tape on the hygrometer that says +5% or +4%. That way when you take a reading you just remember to add 5 or 4 to get the actual reading. Either way it sounds like you're having fun. Right?

I hope you're not gonna wipe down that new humidor with a damp sponge are you? Sometimes that way can make your RH hard to handle at the very beginning when you want to add your cigars and you'll be worried about them and the last thing you want is uncontrollable RH. Here's a Youtube that describes the basic process that I recommend.

It takes longer but doesn't risk warping any of your delicate spanish cedar. Especially the cedar that creates the seal. You don't wanna warp that seal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM76fdDHjaw

• Options
    No wiping. I'm following advice from threads on here and some other sites. My plan of attack is calibrate hygrometer, place it in the hole and Humicare Cigar Gel in the corner. Then, I have distilled water to soak a scent-free new sponge in and place that on a plastic dish. Close the thing up and wait 2 days min until it's hopefully in the right RH range. That seem about right?

Gotta say though I'm not happy that I have to now wait for a digital hygrometer. I had it in my order but when the box came it said it was back ordered and apparently they refunded the money. So that's why I'm stuck with the analog for now.
  • Options
    Analog will do fine in a pinch. Sounds like you have a great plan. However, I would say let your RH rise up into the mid 70% or even high 70% range for a day. That’s OK. That means you'll be certain that your wood has soaked up enough moisture, then take out the sponge & dish and let it slowly drop back down below 70% and then you’re good to load it up. If it tries to climb back up above 70% after your cigars are in there, remove the gel or any other humidification and let it come back down slowly. Sometimes the gel can get a little too humid. You can leave the lid open some if you need to. 65% to 70% is what you're aiming for. I usually keep my cigars at around 65%.

In fact I'm seasoning a 50 count for a friend right now. After the first 24 hours the RH was only up around 68%. I then added just a bit of extra distilled water to the rubbermaid sandwich container holding the sponges and another 12 hours it was up to 75%. That was this morning. Tonight I'll remove the rubbermaid sandwich container holding the sponges and let it drop back down.
  • Options
    So now I have a humidity question. My hygrometer showed the humidity go up to about 75 yesterday and the day before it spiked at 73. I have noticed the difference in feel of some cigars so I've left the lid open a bit and dropped it back to 67 in the mornings but it rises back to 73-75 by night. I know it isn't the seal of my humi because it's less humid outside so if the seal was bad it should be low. I think it's the Humicare Gel thing I have in there for a humidifier. When I remove the gel my humi settles to 70-71 and stays constant. It's been constant without any humidifier for 12 hours. What's up with this?