Home Non Cigar Related
Options

My Job Search

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
I've been all over the country since last April interviewing for jobs. From Texas to Michigan, from Florida to Oregon. I make a good resume, and must get through good preliminary interviews and have good references, because I'm getting these expenses-paid trips to have a final interview, but don't have a job yet.

I'm not really dejected about this; money has been really tight at times, and all my student loans are being deferred because those payments just aren't in the budget right now. But some really good things have happened to me and my family in this year. I've got a great part-time job. I've spent a lot of quality time with my family. I've been able to do some volunteer work and start playing soccer again, which I haven't done in years.

In the next 5-6 weeks, I'm interviewing for 3 jobs and may have a completed offer for one other. The first of these interviews is this weekend. I'll be in the Richmond, VA area. The next is a couple of weeks away and takes us to Spokane, WA. The final interview is also in VA, but in a DC bedroom community in Northern VA. I have an offer from my current employer for a full-time position, for at least two years, contingent upon some grants being awarded. They have not given me any details on compensation or anything like that, but have told me the job is mine if I want it.

I'm sharing this with you to ask if you have any information on any of these areas as far as schools, cost of living, good, bad, frustrations that come with the area, etc. PM me, or put your stories on here. Jim's already shared info about the Spokane area, but if you know it, don't let that deter you! Help me out, while I make a huge decision that will have a giant impact on my family. Thanks.
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Virginia is truly a beautiful state, and right next to Merryland and West By Gawd Virginia, which are also pearls DC is a slum though, and their schools are the worst anywhere. That's why everyone lives in these bedroom communities like Silver Spring. Taxes are high. Living expense is through the effing roof. That's why loads of people commute in from Frederick MD or even Mt Airy and Cumberland. Spokane I don't know. Richmond I've only been to a couple times. Tons of scenic little communities all around, separated by water inlets, bays, rivers, each with a character, gifte shoppes, festivals.

Good luck. It's tough. When I graduated it was just like now, except they hadn't yet learned to lie about the unemployment rate. 23% unemployment in Stockton CA the year I graduated. Jimmy Carter was fixing prices which just made things worse.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, VA would be a great place to live, beautiful state. Closer to DC, as Davis says, cost of living will skyrocket, and you will likely want to pay for private schooling for your kids to get em out of public schools (depending on the district).
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I don't know anything about those areas, but I do wish you the best of luck! I am finishing college at the end of April and I will be in your shoes....looking for full time work. Let us know what / where you find work. What field are you looking into? Just curious.

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Hey Martel. I live in Charlottesville about 2 hours south of DC. Believe it or not many people commute to DC from here everyday. I love the area I live in. I just wanted to give you 2 heads ups.

1)Cost of living in the DC area is high. People commute from where I live for that reason. I don't, I work from home and my wife works 5 miles up the road but many do.

2)Traffic is the worst in the country. Officially, it has beaten out L.A. now. A friend of mine lives about 15 miles from his work in NoVa. He doesn't HAVE to be to work until 8 but leaves at 5 am and get there about 5:45 because if he left at 7 it would take him 2 hours. My companies office is in Alexandria. Last time I went there in rush hour it took me 4.5 hours to get home. it's 2 hours on a normal day all the way to DC.

I'm not scaring you away at all. I believe the job opportunities are some of the best in the world in this area. Pay is competitive and it's a great area to live in as long as you understand what comes along with that. When you're negotiating your salary DC make sure you look at what a place to live is going to cost you close to where that job is or be prepared for the expenses that come with long commutes.

If you're staying the night up here let me know. If I'm around I'll gladly meet you for a smoke. If you move up this I'll glad showing you my backyard, the heart of wine and beer country :). Did I mention I love Charlottesville?
  • Options
    Oh and as for Richmond, that's 2 hours the other direction for me. Other than the history and being the state capital Richmond has nothing I'm interested in. The city itself is dirty and crime riddled. The suburbs are just that suburbs. There are some great shopping districts and a really good chain of cigar shops but that's it to me. I'm not saying I wouldn't take a job there. I'd just live out in the country a ways and plan on a commute. Is the company in Richmond downtown or one of the burbs?
  • Options
    And finally good Luck! I wasn't trying to be discouraging and hope I wasn't. I just hate to see people not have all the info they need for an intelligent decision. I'd love to have another BOTL in the area. There are some really great cigar shops all around VA.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    so much for not fluffing your posts....
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Oh and as for Richmond, that's 2 hours the other direction for me. Other than the history and being the state capital Richmond has nothing I'm interested in. The city itself is dirty and crime riddled. The suburbs are just that suburbs. There are some great shopping districts and a really good chain of cigar shops but that's it to me. I'm not saying I wouldn't take a job there. I'd just live out in the country a ways and plan on a commute. Is the company in Richmond downtown or one of the burbs?
    well damn...I live in the Richmond area not in the city but in a surrounding county...glad I sent him a PM cuz if he had just read your post I think most he would think Richmond is a *** hole. Just when I thought it would be cool to kick it with you since you have returned to the forums...but I think I will pass.
  • Options
    smoke em if you got em:
    madurofan:
    well damn...I live in the Richmond area not in the city but in a surrounding county...glad I sent him a PM cuz if he had just read your post I think most he would think Richmond is a *** hole. Just when I thought it would be cool to kick it with you since you have returned to the forums...but I think I will pass.
    Re-reading my post it came off harsher than I meant for it to. But you don't live in Richmond, every one I know in that area does not live in Richmond. The city itself is ROUGH. When I worked for the state, they made sure to dismiss us from meetings early enough to get to our cars before dark. They made a point of telling people that. I know they've worked hard in recent years and cleaned it up some but most of the city is still not very desirable. I will say it is not as rough as parts of DC.

Man, if my evaluation of your city changes your opinion of me I'm sorry. I know I haven't been around much in a couple years but I had a good reputation because I'm opinionated. However, my opinions are based on facts. The city has had and continues to have major crime issues. It was the murder capital of the US at one point and continually shows up on highest murders per capita lists. These are facts, they are not my opinion. There are nice things about Richmond, the history, lots of good cigar shops and even Virginia's first cigar bar. But don't be mad at me for my evaluations of the facts.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    so much for not fluffing your posts....
    Yea. At this point is there a difference between 6000 and 6100?

Oh and stop calling me black, Pot.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    smoke em if you got em:
    madurofan:
    Re-reading my post it came off harsher than I meant for it to. But you don't live in Richmond, every one I know in that area does not live in Richmond. The city itself is ROUGH. When I worked for the state, they made sure to dismiss us from meetings early enough to get to our cars before dark. They made a point of telling people that. I know they've worked hard in recent years and cleaned it up some but most of the city is still not very desirable. I will say it is not as rough as parts of DC.

Man, if my evaluation of your city changes your opinion of me I'm sorry. I know I haven't been around much in a couple years but I had a good reputation because I'm opinionated. However, my opinions are based on facts. The city has had and continues to have major crime issues. It was the murder capital of the US at one point and continually shows up on highest murders per capita lists. These are facts, they are not my opinion. There are nice things about Richmond, the history, lots of good cigar shops and even Virginia's first cigar bar. But don't be mad at me for my evaluations of the facts.
    I don't want to high jack this thread. I will send you a PM
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I lived in West Virginia for college and sometimes went into Virginia - both beautiful states, truly God's country. Take a drive through on I-95 and you see rolling hills completely covered in lush green trees, truly beautiful.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said Eric, I've only been here for 4 months but, my wife grew up here. It's got 4 distinct seasons, low cost of living, great community awareness and lots of education opportunities. It's an area surrounded by lakes and activities year round. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish here. Our mortgage is the same as our rent was on a town home in the Seattle area.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I'd be outside Richmond, in Colonial Heights. In NoVA, the job is right off of I-95 in Stafford. For a while, we'd definitely rent to scope out schools and housing. But you have to remember, we live in Memphis and I teach in what has historically been one of, if not the poorest urban zip codes in the country. Y'all can't scare me off with this rough city talk.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    I lived in West Virginia for college and sometimes went into Virginia - both beautiful states, truly God's country. Take a drive through on I-95 and you see rolling hills completely covered in lush green trees, truly beautiful.
    I personally prefer the drive on I-64 and I-81. Talk about Charlottesville and wine country has me missing home. If you don't move to Virginia for anything but the awesome wine festivals and wineries they have, it's worth it. I grew up in Lynchburg, VA. If you can't find something to do in VA, you're not looking very hard. That's all the input I have.
  • Options
    Martel:
    Thanks for the input. I'd be outside Richmond, in Colonial Heights. In NoVA, the job is right off of I-95 in Stafford. For a while, we'd definitely rent to scope out schools and housing. But you have to remember, we live in Memphis and I teach in what has historically been one of, if not the poorest urban zip codes in the country. Y'all can't scare me off with this rough city talk.
    The guys from the area can tell you more about Colonial Heights but IMO you're much better there than downtown.

Stafford is good, you're south of the heavy traffic and much cheaper cost of living down there.
  • Options
    jasonusa1jasonusa1 Posts: 729
    smoke em if you got em:
    Just when I thought it would be cool to kick it with you since you have returned to the forums...but I think I will pass.

Hahaha is this for real???

Really though. Richmond is Richmond. Nothing amazing to write home about, but it does have plenty of cheaper areas to live in - if interested in buying, a good friend of mine is a realtor there and would be happy to show you around.

Dc is an even bigger shithole, first and foremost, the traffic. It takes me ~1.5-2 hours each way to get to and from work - and my commute is only 20 miles. But if you are in stafford, you will be outside of Fredericksburg. Should be much cheaper than closer to the city. And much better traffic - for what it is - than if you were further north.
  • Options
    jasonusa1:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Just when I thought it would be cool to kick it with you since you have returned to the forums...but I think I will pass.

We talked it out. I believe all is good.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    jasonusa1:
    smoke em if you got em:

We talked it out. I believe all is good.
    yep all good.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Spokane is a very pretty area, the city itself isn't anything special, but it's also the middle of no where. I haven't been there in about 10 years, but meth was just starting to hit the town hard and it had a pretty high crime rate for the Northwest, not sure what it's like now (but with you coming from Memphis....). It has Gonzaga University (which is why I visited with an ex) and Washington State Univ. is about a hour or so south. It's pretty dry though. Couer D'Alene is supposed to be on an upswing too (a little east of Spokane), since the last big group of white supremacists left, but northern Idaho has a bad reputation for being home to a lot of white supremacist groups.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Everything in this thread about DC is true. A few years back when I worked downtown it would take me 2 hours to get to work. But if I had to work weekends the ride was 15 minutes.
    Its also one of the most expensive ghettos I have ever had the misfortune of living close to.

• Options
    Thanks for all the input, guys. The trip to Richmond was great (except for the 3 hour flight delay in ATL on the way home). We didn't get to see very much of the area, except through car windows. My part of the interview went well, and well, I could work with the people there. We shall see.

I get a couple of weeks rest and then off to the Northwest. I should find out about the job in Richmond and the situation with my current employer when I return from that trip or shortly after, anyway.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Everything in this thread about DC is true. A few years back when I worked downtown it would take me 2 hours to get to work. But if I had to work weekends the ride was 15 minutes.
    Its also one of the most expensive ghettos I have ever had the misfortune of living close to.

Our nation's crapitol.

Hey, if you do wind up near Richmond, gimme a shout. We'll go hit some of that VA Wine and Cigar Trail.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Okay, update. It's been a long, long couple of months. Richmond fell through, but it wasn't a top choice for me.

Spokane fell through in a huge surprise. I thought we were moving to the NW, but they decided not to hire anyone.

Over the last few days, I'd resigned myself to staying in Memphis. I have a job offer here doing work I really like with the potential to make it something even better. I'm excited about the opportunity. But, the pay is nothing and will always be nothing. Well, no raises for the next two years anyway, and I'd be earning less than I earned before my Master's degree.

Then, out of the blue, I got called with an offer today in Stafford, VA. Decent pay, but not much more when I ran a cost of living calculator than what Memphis pay would be at a much lower rate. Not sure I buy that entirely, but okay.

Now it's decision time.

• Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Think of the future prospects. Which will pay off on your resume in the future. I am certain you will not be in this one job forever. Best of Luck !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck almost neighbor!! Hope it works out!!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck brother. The job market is pretty rough right now. Thought I was gonna be looking myself there for a little while. Still might if the farmers aren't able to plant soon.
  • Options
    curtpick:
    Think of the future prospects. Which will pay off on your resume in the future. I am certain you will not be in this one job forever. Best of Luck !
    This is the difficulty here. I kind of want this to be the last job I have for a while, if not ever. My graduate degree is in ministry and theology. In Stafford, I'll be preaching. If the church can sustain/stand my family for the next 30-35 years, I'd be happy with that.

In Memphis, I'd work with a non-profit. Initially, I'd be teaching, but I would also move out of the classroom and act kind of like a chaplain to the teaching staff and students as well. The executive director wants this program to expand to a more involved job-training program, which is what the organization has traditionally done. This would be a second site for the job program, and would need to be fully staffed with a director, job instructors, a computer skills lab and instructor, counselors, etc. This program goes all-out. I love what they do. But it is a challenging environment and very little pay. Even though Memphis is a low cost of living, that's only true as an average. For us to put our kids in schools we find acceptable, we'd have to move to an area with a much higher cost of living. Since we came here for grad school, we've been homeschooling, but that can't continue as my wife and I both return to full-time employment.

I'm not so concerned about resume, even though when I look at it, either choice means heading in a different direction. There are prospects unique to each job, and in some ways, the nonprofit has more potential to grow, but it is also riskier in some ways. I guess that's the way of it; however, I don't know that in this case growth necessarily equals more rewarding, they could both be rewarding and fulfilling jobs.

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either way sounds like it will be rewarding and you'll be doing his work. Sounds like you need to pick the one that will be a fit for your family. You'll get a sign.
  • Options
    Well, decision made. Other churches might come knocking, but the opportunity to build something up, well not from the ground up, but to make significant changes to benefit an organization (really to benefit the people we serve) with the full support of its board and executive director may not come again. Money wasn't as good, at least not right now, but we'll see in a couple of years. I'm staying in Memphis and working for the nonprofit. To start, I'll be teaching GED classes for the most part. A quarter of my time "on the clock" will be spent doing other things. Those other things will gradually take more of my time and the teaching will take less time. At least that's the plan. I'm helping people, and that's what I really want to do.