Home General Discussion
Options

Cigars that Kicked your A$$

Hey everyone, it has been a while since I have posted but I had to inquire about the MOW Armada. I had one a while back when I first started smoking hand rolled cigars. I got about half way through and had to put it down because it kicked my A$$!!!

Attempt number two was Wednesday and it was a 7 month aged MOW Armada. I could tell it had smoothed out; the aromas were more subtle and it was a much smoother smoke. The wrapper had taken a little beating over that time but it was still a great smoke. I had a large dinner before hand to prepare myself... but sure enough this cigar kicked me to the curb again!!! This time after about 2/3 through.

Has anyone else had this experience with this cigar or any other cigars like it? What would make this cigar (or any cigar) so much stronger then others?

Comments

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    newbiesmoker24:
    Hey everyone, it has been a while since I have posted but I had to inquire about the MOW Armada. I had one a while back when I first started smoking hand rolled cigars. I got about half way through and had to put it down because it kicked my A$$!!!

Attempt number two was Wednesday and it was a 7 month aged MOW Armada. I could tell it had smoothed out; the aromas were more subtle and it was a much smoother smoke. The wrapper had taken a little beating over that time but it was still a great smoke. I had a large dinner before hand to prepare myself... but sure enough this cigar kicked me to the curb again!!! This time after about 2/3 through.

Has anyone else had this experience with this cigar or any other cigars like it? What would make this cigar (or any cigar) so much stronger then others?
    wow, last summer during a bike ride i stopped along the waterfront about 9 am , no breakfast etc and it was hot/humid, lit up a rocky patel 1961 torp. and about halfway i chunked it came back home sweating etc laid out in front of a fan sweating, took about 2 hours to get over that deal,lol
  • Options
    The wrapper on the Armada is a ligero leaf. Alex wrote a blog on this awhile back: http://www.cigar.com/cs/blogs/alex_ccom/archive/2010/09/10/191155.aspx

I'm definitely more of a medium-bodied gal myself. The Armada is an excellent cigar, but it definitely packs a punch!
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    My tolerance is pretty high, but a few that still hit me as strong are the Oliveros LTD and last week I had a fresh El Cobre that was really potent!
  • Options
    Tina, thanks for the link. I am definitely familiar with Ligero leaves. That is one reason I am stumped by the Armada. I have smoked strong cigars like Gurkha Triple Ligero and CAO LX2 and I have not felt the same effect the Armada has given me. It is crazy!! I think there is something besides tobacco in that Armada!
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    newbiesmoker24:

Because its so strong and lasts forever, i actually clip em in half. They still go for an hour+, and I still get buzzed, but i now dont waste any. Also, I found the 5 Vegas Cask Strength II to be a heavy hitter. I was also when i started smoking again, but it made me wanna throw up and curl up
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    When I just started smoking, I had a Cu-Avanna Intenso that left me lying on my couch. Nowadays, not many cigars kick my a$$, but there are definitely a few that I can feel. Some of those are the Camacho Corojo, El Cobre, and weirdly, Perdomo Habano Connecticut.
  • Options
    crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Nicotine has different affects on different people.Some are even allergic.I'm sure this has alot to do with the a$$ kicking that different people get from different blends.
  • Options
    Did you try that in the Corona or the 56 ring? In the Corona size you're tasting more of that wrapper than anything. The Lx2 has a ton of ligero leaves, but it also has a mix of other leaves that balances it out quite a bit. The Triple Ligero has the Brazilian Maduro wrapper which also tends to balance the ligero leaves a bit, though still a powerhouse cigar. I usually save my stronger cigars for when I'm having a few drinks; that always seems to help. Actually, I can't stand mild cigars after I've had a few beers.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    MoW Ruination a couple of years ago...ate it after a 22 oz portehouse and baked potatoe...still turned me green and I had to lay it down about halfway in.
  • Options
    babsdpubabsdpu Posts: 143
    alienmisprint:
    MoW Ruination a couple of years ago...ate it after a 22 oz portehouse and baked potatoe...still turned me green and I had to lay it down about halfway in.

MOWR kicks my ass as well, but it's a "good" kind of ass-kicking...kind of like a drunk buzz. I get the same thing from CAO Brazilia...both are two of my favorites.

I've gotten a "bad" ass-kicking from Oliva V (I think it was the size) and, just this week, Diesel Shorty.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Haven't had that happen with the Armada. I have gotten a little sick though once. It was about 6 months ago. I had a Cain F, a JDN Dark Corojo, and a La Aroma Edition Especial all back to back on an empty stomach. Wasn't the brightest thing in retrospect. My tolerance is high, but that was still dumb. I had to lay down for a bit after that, but that was the only time. Usually I'm a lot smarter about it. Food, pace yourself, hydration, and just not biting off more than you can chew, the standard advice applies.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Tina E:
    Did you try that in the Corona or the 56 ring? In the Corona size you're tasting more of that wrapper than anything. The Lx2 has a ton of ligero leaves, but it also has a mix of other leaves that balances it out quite a bit. The Triple Ligero has the Brazilian Maduro wrapper which also tends to balance the ligero leaves a bit, though still a powerhouse cigar. I usually save my stronger cigars for when I'm having a few drinks; that always seems to help. Actually, I can't stand mild cigars after I've had a few beers.
    It sure is nice to see some gals posting again. Thanks for participating. BTW, I can't stand mild cigars anytime.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Just about every cigar I have ever smoked has kicked my a$$. lmao
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Tina E:
    You are one badass chick. I think I love you now haha. Just don't tell Jill
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    JDN dark corojo kicked my ass a few weeks ago. LOVED the taiste, HATED the buzz.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys! It would be nice to have more of us on the forums! All of this beard talk is pretty intimidating though! I think it scares the ladies away, with most of us being beard-growing challenged and all.
  • Options
    bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    I'm not sure why, but the AB Tempus whipped me. The Diesel Unlimited whipped me too.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Kristoff Maduro
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    firetruckguy:
    JDN dark corojo kicked my ass a few weeks ago. LOVED the taiste, HATED the buzz.
    +1 brother! When I am in the mood for a cigar that absolutely punches you in the face, I reach for either the JDN Dark Corojo or Cu-Avana Intenso. Their new Punisher stick brings it too.

• Options
    jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    The Gurkha Titan I had for the first time. I was so jacked up I felt guilty about smoking it, I have no idea why but it made me want to quit smoking. I soon put up a "trade post" and traded 7 of them and kept 2. Don't get me wrong, I liked it but I got some pretty good gars for the trade from one of the guys I traded with. Kinda wish I would've kept more tho. Friggen rookie mistake on my part.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Every time I smoked a Fuentes Anejo (3) I would later regret it. Near last couple inches I knew I was in trouble. I will NEVER touch that cigar again. Just seeing one actually brings on a bad feeling. Okay I have to stop talking about it now.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I had a RP Decade make me wish I was dead for a couple hours back when I first started.
  • Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    opus BBMF natural. forgot to eat befor smoking the bbmf. felt like a hard punch to the gut
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet. Not a gut puncher by itself, but I had it in my head that I could take it on with an empty stomach.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    t_evan50:
    I had a RP Decade make me wish I was dead for a couple hours back when I first started.
    +1, also back when I was starting out. I knew I was in trouble with this one about halfway through but it was soooo good I didn't want to put it down! Big mistake...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Strangely an Oliva V I had just a couple months ago. I've smoked a bunch of these with no problem but something that particular day had my number. I had to stop and hold on to a tree and do some deep breathing exercises on my way back to my house.
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    PsychoSJG:
    newbiesmoker24:

Because its so strong and lasts forever, i actually clip em in half. They still go for an hour+, and I still get buzzed, but i now dont waste any. Also, I found the 5 Vegas Cask Strength II to be a heavy hitter. I was also when i started smoking again, but it made me wanna throw up and curl up

+1 on the 5 Vegas Cask Strength II, smoked one on an empty stomach, had to put it down half way through. I had to lay down. I got the sweats and thought I was going to hurl. Smoked one about 5 months later with no problems but I made sure I ate something first. Only time that has ever happened to me.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    The LFD Double Ligero Chisel made me a bit woozy, it was a great smoke nonetheless but man did it give me a kick in the teeth.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Tina E:
    Thanks, guys! It would be nice to have more of us on the forums! All of this beard talk is pretty intimidating though! I think it scares the ladies away, with most of us being beard-growing challenged and all.
    Maybe for a lot but I've seen some women sporting some nice beards....
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Strangely an Oliva V I had just a couple months ago. I've smoked a bunch of these with no problem but something that particular day had my number. I had to stop and hold on to a tree and do some deep breathing exercises on my way back to my house.
    crazy how that works huh? I mean it happens to me at times too, which is strange.