Home General Discussion

Big Ring Gauge FAD

I will not be upset when this whole big ring gauge craze is over. Seems like that's what goes on sale more since that's what the current demand is. I'm looking forward to some nice coronas being offered as daily deals more frequently!

Comments

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    amen
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    We've had this discussion before - I still like the big rings much more than corona's and buy 54+ whenever possible, but I'll be happy when the full-body fad is over. Enough with the cigars who's biggest selling point is "NICOTINE! AND LOTS OF IT!!". Bring back the balanced cigars.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    xmacro:
    We've had this discussion before - I still like the big rings much more than corona's and buy 54+ whenever possible, but I'll be happy when the full-body fad is over. Enough with the cigars who's biggest selling point is "NICOTINE! AND LOTS OF IT!!". Bring back the balanced cigars.
    +1

• drpepperdudedrpepperdude Posts: 298
    xmacro:

+2

• HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    +1/2. Flavor/balance first; body is secondary for me. BUT, I typically prefer a 50 or less ring guage. So I guess I'm waiting for two trends to fade...lol
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I just pretend I'm Clay Morrow.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    +3
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    ztanner25:
    I will not be upset when this whole big ring gauge craze is over. Seems like that's what goes on sale more since that's what the current demand is. I'm looking forward to some nice coronas being offered as daily deals more frequently!
    +1 I love a corona or a lancero cigar much more than anything over 54. I don't have a problem with full bodied cigars as long as they are also full flavor and not harsh.
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    Lanceros are soon to change that. Be on the look out for changes, I bet several will make cigar of the year.
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    I started smoking cigars last year, so a 50 rg is small to me. I have not had a cigar smaller. I don't have any problem with larger rg cigars. Maybe I am missing something.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I prefer the 50--56 RG. Not really a fan of smoking a straw or a limb. Length around 5--6.5 Balance is much more important than strength but I find many cigars just to mild.
  • when i first started smoking i loved big ring gauge like the nub with a 64 ring gauge the other day light one up and was like holly *** this is huge. I am a fan of smaller ring gauges like 50 is a good size but i am starting to become a bigger fan of the cornas. Also i am not a full bodied guy either, i am more full flavor and medium to full bodied, i want lots of flavor with little body.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    bigjohn125:
    I started smoking cigars last year, so a 50 rg is small to me. I have not had a cigar smaller. I don't have any problem with larger rg cigars. Maybe I am missing something.
    If you've never had a cigar under a 50 ring gauge, then, yes... you are definitely missing something. Get some lanceros, lonsdales, coronas, and corona gordas in your life ASAP. If you like flavorful cigars, then try some smaller rings of blends you like. The great wrapper to filler ratio makes a huge difference, as the flavor comes from the wrapper, not the seco and volado used for combustion (of which there is a lot more, drowning out your flavor producing leaves in big ring gauges)
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Been smoking cigars for about 30ish year? (on and off) Anyway, I've seen many different sizes during that time, but a 54 RG is as big as I can enjoy, and that does depend on the cigar. The Cohiba Sublimes was only made in that RG, and I think it's a great cigar, yet I have truly enjoyed much smaller cigars. I'm mixed. I'm glad to try a large RG to see how it is, and I like the H. Upman Magnum 50, but these are about the largest in any humidor that I own.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    amen
    Amen again.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    MMmmmmmmm...corona......
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    MMmmmmmmm...corona gorda.....
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I've enjoyed both smaller and larger ring gauges. One of my favorite 60 ring gauges has been the AJ produced Graycliff G2 Turbo. Wonderful cigar.
  • Love um all. Some are better in different RGs..I'm on a blend by blend basis. Just not into long cigars cause I smoke super slow.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    I hear ya, the only 54 gauge I like is the Fuente Royal Salute. I don't even like Nubs, but I suspect that has more to do with Freud.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know Big rings were a fad. I mean I don't smoke 60's all the time but 54-56 is still small. Anything under a 48/50 I feel like I'm smoking a black n mild. It just doesn't feel like a cigar.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I prefer the 50--56 RG. Not really a fan of smoking a straw or a limb. Length around 5--6.5 Balance is much more important than strength but I find many cigars just to mild.
    lol, something we agree on!
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    xmacro:
    +1
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Love um all. Some are better in different RGs..I'm on a blend by blend basis. Just not into long cigars cause I smoke super slow.
    +1 here. I'm a middle of the road kind of guy so I tend to like corona gordas and also torpedos that are 50 - 54 ring more often than not. But given that, I do think that some blends do better in different sizes, including the 60 rg monsters. San Lotano Maduro Gordo comes to mind as one 60 ring that was a great cigar.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I didn't know Big rings were a fad. I mean I don't smoke 60's all the time but 54-56 is still small. Anything under a 48/50 I feel like I'm smoking a black n mild. It just doesn't feel like a cigar.
    thats because you are (as many of us are) a newer smoker. go back 5-7 years and a 50 ring was about as big as you would see. there were few smokes over that and when they were they were special sizes.
    go back even further and it is almost unheard of. if you want to look at what most brands had in their line ups look at the vitolas that Davidoff has. those are very classic sizes.

not only is the ring gauge a fad but i feel that the over-the-top power is as well.
    5-7 years ago the El Cobre was one of the strongest on the market. now it is about "average" when it comes to power. The JdN Antano was over the top power and now it is almost the standard.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    thats because you are (as many of us are) a newer smoker. go back 5-7 years and a 50 ring was about as big as you would see. there were few smokes over that and when they were they were special sizes.
    go back even further and it is almost unheard of. if you want to look at what most brands had in their line ups look at the vitolas that Davidoff has. those are very classic sizes.

not only is the ring gauge a fad but i feel that the over-the-top power is as well.
    5-7 years ago the El Cobre was one of the strongest on the market. now it is about "average" when it comes to power. The JdN Antano was over the top power and now it is almost the standard.

So Kuzi, there isn't a 60 ring that you would smoke? I smoke two of them by the same company Camacho. I have tried others but, they don't do it for me. My everyday vitolas is a robusto. That's my goto size. Just asking.....
    i have smoked them. i just enjoy smaller rings. there are a few companies that dont offer the smaller rings as often. there is no LFD LD maduro Lancero or lonesdale. the only thing they have smaller is a petite carona.

Camacho triple maduro doesnt come in a size under 50. i would love to see that in a 6.75 x 46.

there are many cigars that i want in a smaller ring that arent offered.
    i usually top out at about 52. on rare occasions ill have the 60.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your feedback.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I think calling it a Fad has a negative connotation that is probably a bit insulting to those who enjoy them. Big, full bodied cigars certainly do seem to be very popular right now. I see some blends that are only produced in these sizes, and I hope the blenders are doing that for the benefit of the blend, and not because that's what they think will sell when in reality a smaller ring gauge would taste better.

I don't know if that made any sense. It did in my mind, but it's early and I haven't had coffee yet.
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    kuzi16:
    i have smoked them. i just enjoy smaller rings. there are a few companies that dont offer the smaller rings as often. there is no LFD LD maduro Lancero or lonesdale. the only thing they have smaller is a petite carona.

Camacho triple maduro doesnt come in a size under 50. i would love to see that in a 6.75 x 46.

there are many cigars that i want in a smaller ring that arent offered.
    i usually top out at about 52. on rare occasions ill have the 60.

If don't know if you mean the LFD DL Lancero Oscuro there certainly available. Couple of places have them and they are very good.