A forum for cigar lovers.

Welcome to Cigar.com Sign in | Join | Help
in

Smoking and the kids!

Last post 05-13-2010, 9:24 AM by Adcurium. 19 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (20 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous
  • Re: Smoking and the kids!

05-10-2010, 12:10 PM

• Joined on 07-14-2009
    • Maryland USA
    • Posts 865
    • Top 200 Contributor
    Wow this is a tough one , but one I am sure all responsible parents have given a lot of consideration. I have an eighteen year old son. He has never seen me smoke or take a drink. I know that both are not exactly good for you, but by the same token the decision to partake is one that an adult should be allowed to make on his/her own. Neither my wife or my son have ever seen me smoke a cigar. Both know that I do smoke them, my wife has even gifted me cigars that I like. My son has even asked when can we light one up together.... At this point I am trying to decide will this be a wise decision to do with my son, graduation is upon us and it would be a good opportunity or would it?
    JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE...

05-10-2010, 12:25 PM

Hawk55:
    Wow this is a tough one , but one I am sure all responsible parents have given a lot of consideration. I have an eighteen year old son. He has never seen me smoke or take a drink. I know that both are not exactly good for you, but by the same token the decision to partake is one that an adult should be allowed to make on his/her own. Neither my wife or my son have ever seen me smoke a cigar. Both know that I do smoke them, my wife has even gifted me cigars that I like. My son has even asked when can we light one up together.... At this point I am trying to decide will this be a wise decision to do with my son, graduation is upon us and it would be a good opportunity or would it?
    Thats a tough one. Luckily my oldest is seven, gives me some time to ponder. I'm really hoping that the boys and I still have some common interests at that point. As for the smoking together, I guess it would come down to if they are going to do it anyway. Why not? Then again do you want to be the one to get him started? Let me know the out come. Thats a tough one!
    Brian
    "A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke." -Groucho Marx

05-10-2010, 9:14 PM

What can I say that hasn't been said......have 2 sons.....great they are.....being of sound mind...they are both 19 and 22.....we do partake of the leaf......not all the time but occasionally .....I enjoy the time that we have to sit down and smoke....they will often open to me things they would not other wise....I like to refer to it is, " male bonding time."....my wife knows that we do it on occasion...to be quite honest neither can afford....that why they come to me for the smokes.....my oldest graduated from college this past wkend.....what could there be a better cause to light one up.....it is a nice treat for me to have someone near and dear to me to light up with.....yes, I know there are other things we could do ....but sitting outside in the backyard talking about old little league days with a stogie... what can I say....I am guilty ....

05-11-2010, 2:13 AM

Wow !!! This one for me is tough also...I have a 16 yo daughter and a 4 yo son (who btw wants to do everything daddy does)...I also try to not smoke around the kids or even the wife....they do not enjoy the smell nor do I want them to get any second hand smoke...anyways as was bound to happen they came home one day as I was outside partaking of an Ashton VSG and the my son being curious wanted to know if he could smoke with me....long conversation later he finally got my point of things for adults and things for kids when I explained the whole I dont drink your juice box....you dont smoke my cigars !!! Still working on it....but good topic !
    Forgive me for my ignorance...I am just unedumacated !!!

05-13-2010, 9:24 AM

• Joined on 03-15-2010
    • Providence, Rhode Island
    • Posts 172
    • Top 500 Contributor
    Great discussion, gentlemen! While we all might not be in the same pew, we are all at least in the same church. We want what's best for our kids. And that's the only simple truth. Someday they will all make their own decisions and the most we can hope for is that we have given them a solid background to be able to make a sound decision. I think there are vast differences between young children watching you smoke and young children watching you cook (or use power tools, or climb a ladder, etc.) but in the end we want to keep them from harm's way. It's not an easy task, but it is certainly a noble pursuit. We will all fail, in one way or another, as parents. You just can't bat 1000. But in the morning you put your feet on the floor and you hope to do a better job than you did the day before. And hopefully when our children are adults they will have a good enough health plan so as to get weekly therapy sessions. I expect to use the phrase "Tell it to your therapist in 20 years" quite often. And here we are on Thursday. I just want ot get through the week with as few casualities as possible. And I'm hoping to duck out of the office for a cup of strong joe and this Romeo & Julietta rothchilde that's been taunting me all morning...
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. - Winston Churchill
Page 2 of 2 (20 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML