Home Non Cigar Related

Scotch??

big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
Can anybody recommend a good scotch for a beginner, never really drank much of it looking to get into it, also a good scotch to pair with a stogie

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Don't get me started. OK, do. For blended, Usquaebach! Single malt? Ardbeg. Go no further! OK. Do.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Macallan 10 is a good one to start with for a single malt, also Talisker 10 is good for the price. Highland Park, Balvenie, and Lagavulin are all great scotch's too. Good luck on the journey my friend, you'll find some great scotches out there. It can be an expensive hobby though!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never was a single malt fan. But my favorite up to now has been Dimple Pinch 15 yr old. I just tried Famous Grouse Gold Reserve 12 yr old that is pretty darn good having me a double right now with a Gurkha vintage 2001 a very good pairing.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I'll probably get burned for this one, but for me an excellent all around scotch is The Glenlivet 12 y.o. It's not heavy handed in any particular way and very drinkable. You may find in the future that you like the finesse and richer flavors of Ardbeg or you may like the smoky campfire flavor of Lagavulin. Enjoy the journey!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Glenfiddich, therefore, every year, for my birthday, my wife buys me a bottle of Glenlivet, which is also good, but the best part is...then I have to buy a bottle of Glenfiddich. Also like Pinch, and The Dalmore. Stay away from cheap scotch like "The MacGregor", tastes like kerosene. Padilla Artemis pairs excellently with Glenfiddich.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Try a nice bottle of aberlour, it's 30 bucks, it's a great scotch, and it's not too in your face. None of the flavors are too prevalent, and it gives you a good matchup with cigars..
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    by nice bottle I mis spoke. Buy the bottom of the line, it's 30 bucks, and it's very nice.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    illinoisgolf99:
    Macallan 10 is a good one to start with for a single malt
    I'm not a Scotch drinker, by that I mean I haven't had much and don't partake often, but the Macallan 10 was very approachable and easy on the palate. I had purchased a bottle of Scotch that was so incredibly peaty I couldn't even palate it...I'm having a hard time recalling the name...Laphroig I think it was.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    illinoisgolf99:
    Macallan 10 is a good one to start with for a single malt, also Talisker 10 is good for the price. Highland Park, Balvenie, and Lagavulin are all great scotch's too. Good luck on the journey my friend, you'll find some great scotches out there. It can be an expensive hobby though!
    +++++++++ Highland Park and Macallan are my favorites. I keep hearing how great the Ardbeg is, but I've not had it.....gotta put that one on my list.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    illinoisgolf99:
    Macallan 10 is a good one to start with for a single malt
    I'm not a Scotch drinker, by that I mean I haven't had much and don't partake often, but the Macallan 10 was very approachable and easy on the palate. I had purchased a bottle of Scotch that was so incredibly peaty I couldn't even palate it...I'm having a hard time recalling the name...Laphroig I think it was.
    Peaty. That's just what I love about Laphroaig.

yamman

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Laphroaig is definitely on the peaty side, and that's just not for me either. I'd second the Aberlour suggestion - I've put down more bottles than I can count of their A'bunagdh, though that's a cask strength scotch and not something I'd recommend for you just getting into it.
    For what it's worth, I find Oban 14 to be a very approachable, 'entry-level' scotch so to speak (and I only say entry-level in terms of $$$... Scotchs get expensive, really friggin' fast)
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Scotch is something that I am slowly enjoying, ROB helped me out a bit on that. Thanks man. And again thanks for the name drops here as well, gonna try them.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Oban!! Smooth light and awesome!!
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    +1. To a new scotch drinker, Oban is an excellent choice. Work you way down to the islands and lowlands.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Aberlour 12 is a sweeter scotch and easy to start off with. Even my wife liked the taste of it, which I was pretty shocked since she doesn't really drink.

I drink Jamesons Irish Whiskey as a once in a while with a little ice (takes a some of the bite out of it). When I really want a good pairing I drink Aberlour. A friend introduced me to it about 8 months ago and since then anyone I give some to really enjoys it. The 12 is $50 a bottle but worth giving it a shot.
    Marker:
    Aberlour 12 is a sweeter scotch and easy to start off with. Even my wife liked the taste of it, which I was pretty shocked since she doesn't really drink.

I drink Jamesons Irish Whiskey as a once in a while with a little ice (takes a some of the bite out of it). When I really want a good pairing I drink Aberlour. A friend introduced me to it about 8 months ago and since then anyone I give some to really enjoys it. The 12 is $50 a bottle but worth giving it a shot.
    Hey Marker. If you like Irish Whiskey, might I suggest a single malt, Tullamore Dew. Excellent whiskey.
    beatnic:
    Marker:

Hey Marker. If you like Irish Whiskey, might I suggest a single malt, Tullamore Dew. Excellent whiskey.
    Thank you for the suggestion, but the reason I drink Jameson is it is only $30 for a 1L. Where the Aberlour is $50 for the 750ml. Not that I think the Jamesons is bad but more reasonable to have that around when I am wanting something to calm me down.
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    +1. To a new scotch drinker, Oban is an excellent choice. Work you way down to the islands and lowlands.
    +2 Oban is my favorite scotch, and is a great choice
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Glad to see Oban getting some attention here, have seen it in my grocery store and was intrigued to say the least. May give it a run. Currently working through a bottle of Glenlivet 12 and have found a new drink, The Rusty Nail. Had one last thursday and have been craving one ever since.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd chime in here and thanks, Glen for calling me out of my cave on this one. Definitely some good suggestions here. I personally love Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Glenlivet (notice a trend - they're all from the same region), Oban, Abelour (Abunadh) and think these are all great intros for beginners. First, I think educating yourself a little is the best place to start:

Scotch is ONLY produced in Scotland. Outside Scotland, it is Whisky (or Whiskey as the Americans spell it). It can be single malt or blended and is typically aged in ex-American Bourbon barrels (sometimes finished in different barrels, sometimes even spending its entire life in barrels other than Bourbon). Without getting into too much detail about the actual production, it's important to understand defining characteristics of different regions (just like wine, Scotch produced in different regions of Scotland will have vastly different characteristics and notes):

Highland: These are often the best introductory scotches, along with Speysides because of their rounded nature. Often having a touch of smoke, it is not too overpowering but balanced by notes of grain and fruit.

Speyside: Technically a part of the Highland region, these scotches are very interchangeable with highlands - very round, little smoke/peat, grain and fruit.

Lowland: Only a few working distilleries still in existence in this region - Auchentoshan being the standout - these scotches tend to be light, grassy and floral, though sometimes can have a bit of bite as they're often not aged very long in order to preserve the light nature.

Islay: Scotches from this area are very bold with notes of peat smoke, iodine, salt water and the sea air, these can be an acquired taste and often difficult for beginners to wrap their pallets around.

Islands: Technically another part of the Highland region, these scotches actually resemble the Islay style. Not always being quite as smokey with a bit more sea air and pepper notes.

Campbeltown: This region was once a huge producer but now functions more like the Lowlands, in that only 3 or 4 working distilleries still exist. It was once considered part of the Highlands but has re-established itself since. These Scotches also have the distinct peat smoke and sea air characteristics of their Islay and Island cousins.

Cheers!
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob, once again, thank you. I am not a fan of peat so I stay away from the Scotch, yeah, that's the reason as it's not like another "addiction". Now with your handy like guide (as long as I can remember High/Low (like poker) and land) I should be ready to jump into the world of Scotch. My wife now thanks you......................
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    No problem, Bandy. Look for Highland, Speyside or Lowland. The ones I mentioned at the beginning of my post are all good ones to start with. Especially the Abunadh, since it's matured in Oloroso (dry) Sherry Casks. That tends to help it take on more dried fruit notes and a little less smoke. It's a blended scotch but very high quality.

Tell your wife it could be worse. Have her talk to my girlfriend. I'm up to two liquor cabinets (one very large, the other much smaller but I think I'm over 100 bottles now), an overflowing 35 bottle wine fridge and about 15 cases of aging beer in the cellar.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Rob1110:
    No problem, Bandy. Look for Highland, Speyside or Lowland. The ones I mentioned at the beginning of my post are all good ones to start with. Especially the Abunadh, since it's matured in Oloroso (dry) Sherry Casks. That tends to help it take on more dried fruit notes and a little less smoke. It's a blended scotch but very high quality.

Tell your wife it could be worse. Have her talk to my girlfriend. I'm up to two liquor cabinets (one very large, the other much smaller but I think I'm over 100 bottles now), an overflowing 35 bottle wine fridge and about 15 cases of aging beer in the cellar.
    When is that herf at your place again Rob?
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    My favorite liquor store has Glenmorainge 10 year (750 ml) on sale for under $40. The display is in their walk-in humidor. Anybody had this whiskey?
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    My current favorite (speyside single malt) is the glenlivet 21yr archive, and you can usually find it for around $125 a bottle. For 50-60 less the 18 yr is pretty good too....

http://www.theglenlivet.com/classicrange/
    Oban is another great option for an "entry-level" scotch. For the money, Aberfeldy, Cragganmore 12 yr, and Dalwhinnie 15 yr. I also have GOT to bring up Balvenie again. Great scotch line, I've been nursing the bottle of 15 yr Doublewood I got from a friend and I will be picking up another 2 bottles after it's gone.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    My favorite liquor store has Glenmorainge 10 year (750 ml) on sale for under $40. The display is in their walk-in humidor. Anybody had this whiskey?

My local liquor store has it on sale too, so I got a little sample of it. It was a little harsh for my liking, but I prefer a smoother sweeter scotch. It wasn't bad by any means just didn't fit my taste.

My favorites these days for single malt would be Glenfiddich 12 or 15, Scapa (I highly recommend, but they quit making the 14yr), and Aberfeldy. All of these can be found for less than 50 or 60 bucks. As far as blends go, I like 12 year Dewars, Johhny Walker Green Label (I think they're discontinuing this), and you can never go wrong with Dimple Pinch.
    Another +1 to Balveine doublewood. Nice scotch and not too expensive.
  • ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Japan produces some excellent whiskey which has limited distribution state side, but we are lucky that you can find it in Hawaii. If you live near a specality liqour store it is worth checking for. I hate to say it, but I have taken a liking to Bushmills Irish Honey. It has the peaty flavor of a good scotch without the bite that is captured so well by Jack Nicklson in "Easy Rider." Pair it with a full body cigar like Diesel Unholy Cocktail and you have a winner.
    Marker:
    Another +1 to Balveine doublewood. Nice scotch and not too expensive.

Not expensive at all, if you can get it shipped, online stores have some great deals. Worth getting a bottle to drink and a bottle to age.