Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee

Has anyone here started a coffee thread? Is this old news! What coffees do you like?

This morning Im drinking a home brewed starbucks dark roast.

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Today, as always, I'm drinking home brewed starbucks organic house blend.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I buy "green" beans. For those who are not in the know... that has nothing to do with environmental stuff. They are un-roasted. I roast them at home. Today was a nice Full City roast of Guatemalan beans. Very similar to coffee from Peru. MMMM
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    wow Doug! I've never roasted any beans... lol. I don't buy ground coffee, I get the beans fresh then grind them so I'm half way there. I usually let me nose do the buying though. I usually get different blends of coffee.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Like Doug, I like to roast my own. I'm not a full fledged coffee connoisseur, but even I notice a tremendous difference doing it this way. Maybe it has something to do with appreciating it more because I put some effort into it. Whatever the case may be, I doubt I'll ever drink coffee that comes pre-ground in a can again.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    laker1963:
    I buy "green" beans. For those who are not in the know... that has nothing to do with environmental stuff. They are un-roasted. I roast them at home. Today was a nice Full City roast of Guatemalan beans. Very similar to coffee from Pure. MMMM
    Ok, so I LOVE coffee. How does one roast their own beans at home? Do I need special equipment or can I improvise with things in my kitchen?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Jdorais:
    laker1963:
    I buy "green" beans. For those who are not in the know... that has nothing to do with environmental stuff. They are un-roasted. I roast them at home. Today was a nice Full City roast of Guatemalan beans. Very similar to coffee from Pure. MMMM
    Ok, so I LOVE coffee. How does one roast their own beans at home? Do I need special equipment or can I improvise with things in my kitchen?
    Hey jdorais, there is a website ....sweet maria's.com that gives excellent instructions on home roasting with a hot air popcorn maker or even stove top roasting. check that one out. They also sell home roasters depending on how much money you plan to invest.
    +1 to that Kas. I didn't want to make a huge investment right off, so I bought the campfire cooker deal they offer. It roasts the beans just fine, I just have to put in a little more work cranking the handle for 7-8 minutes, or however long it happens to take.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I grind my own beans never buy ground coffee. I try a lot of different ones.
    I use the FreshRoast Plus 8. It is basically the popcorn popper idea, but it is a little more sturdy and a Bakelite type surface rather then a plastic so it can handle the high temps. These things need to reach at least 800 degrees to bring most beans to Full City Roast in a 7 1/2 minute cycle. That includes a two minute cooling cycle so it actually finishes the roasting part in like 5 1/2 to 6 minutes.
    My only beef with it is that it only does enough beans for two pots. I will eventually graduate up to one that will handle at least a half pound at a time. Right now tho, these are like $300. I like my beans and fresh coffee but...
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    i just got a keurig for xmas because I love coffee, but don't wake up early enough to enjoy much before I have to hit the road for work...it brews some very nice coffee. I hate any kind of starbucks, they burn the bean. Right now I'm drinking some caribou which is very good. Also trying a Tully's kona that is awesome and a green mountain sumatra.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I have been drinking a lot of britt coffee from costa rica, pretty good stuff if you can get it.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I usually go to Beaners (actually called Big B's now because of Messican undertones) and get their dark roast. I get the beans & grind them up myself. I wish they would remember me in there so they will stop asking me if I want them ground up. I do like the idea of roasting my own beans. Is there a big difference in price for beans that are not roasted opposed to those that are? I understand difference in price for 2 different kinds of beans etc. But say same beans unroasted as to roasted price comparison????? I'm def. gonna try this soon!!!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't roast, but we do grind our coffee. We try several different types, usually tending toward the darker roasts.
    I don't know how the comparison goes for roasted to green, but from one site I checked the green beans ran on average between $5-$7 per pound. There were some more expensive blends, but on the whole most of them fit into that window. I've got no idea what pre-roasted coffee sells for though as I've never bought it.
    j0z3r:
    I don't know how the comparison goes for roasted to green, but from one site I checked the green beans ran on average between $5-$7 per pound. There were some more expensive blends, but on the whole most of them fit into that window. I've got no idea what pre-roasted coffee sells for though as I've never bought it.
    The green beans I use come in at anywhere from $3.50 to $6.00 per pound. So it is cheaper. You lose between 10 and 15 % of the total weight of the beans when they roast so that has to be factored in as well.

There are some good sources even on E-Bay. Search for green coffee beans.
    I figured you'd be able to weigh in with some better figures Doug. I consulted one website where I've bought beans before, and my post reflects where their prices are. Do you have any vendors on E-bay that you prefer? As far as the quality of their product and such?
  • badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    Kopi Luwak (pronounced ['kopi 'luak]) or Civet coffee is coffee made from coffee berries which have been eaten by and passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civets. The civets eat the berries, but the beans inside pass through their system undigested. This process takes place on the islands of Sumatra, Java, Bali and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago, in the Philippines (where the product is called Motit Coffee in the Cordillera, or Kape Alamid in Tagalog areas) and in East Timor (locally called kaf
    badge54fd:
    Kopi Luwak (pronounced ['kopi 'luak]) or Civet coffee is coffee made from coffee berries which have been eaten by and passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civets. The civets eat the berries, but the beans inside pass through their system undigested. This process takes place on the islands of Sumatra, Java, Bali and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago, in the Philippines (where the product is called Motit Coffee in the Cordillera, or Kape Alamid in Tagalog areas) and in East Timor (locally called kaf
    j0z3r:
    I figured you'd be able to weigh in with some better figures Doug. I consulted one website where I've bought beans before, and my post reflects where their prices are. Do you have any vendors on E-bay that you prefer? As far as the quality of their product and such?
    Yes, the main source I use for my beans from E-bay is this seller...rinconmountainroasters .If you search that name it will bring him up. His name is Mark Senner. He has a fantastic selection most of the time and you can ask about other beans not offered at E-bay too. I love his Sumatra Mandelling beans, They are awesome. This Guatemalan coffee I am drinking right now is also from Mark. I see that he presently has some Sumatran, at $4.99 per pound at 10 pounds.

These beans are worth a fortune at Starbucks or the like and this way I can control the roast so as not to burn them like they do.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I usually buy the big bag of 8AM coffee beans and grind them up. Then I use the grounds to make expresso and flavor with different types of Coffee Mate cream. They have some awesome flavors these days back in the milk section.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    badge54fd:
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    i just got a keurig for xmas because I love coffee, but don't wake up early enough to enjoy much before I have to hit the road for work...it brews some very nice coffee. I hate any kind of starbucks, they burn the bean. Right now I'm drinking some caribou which is very good. Also trying a Tully's kona that is awesome and a green mountain sumatra.
    I also got a Keurig! I love this thing its brews one great cup of Joe. So you tried the Caribou K-Cups and liked them??

"Long ashes my friends."

Wonder how long it will be before we start trading our home brewed coffees....lol

"Long ashes my friends."

• nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    I usually buy the big bag of 8AM coffee beans and grind them up. Then I use the grounds to make expresso and flavor with different types of Coffee Mate cream. They have some awesome flavors these days back in the milk section.

Coffee Mate!! The free coffee my work provides sucks, but we keep gallons of coffee mate on hand to mask the taste of ground up donkey beans.
    nightmaremike31:
    clearlysuspect:

Coffee Mate!! The free coffee my work provides sucks, but we keep gallons of coffee mate on hand to mask the taste of ground up donkey beans.
    Been there and done that

"Long ashes my friends."

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Im having a Starbucks Thanksgiving Brew this AM. Im not feeling it. It is a dark roast with Floral Notes....

I didnt buy this as it was given to me and the floral notes should have been a dead give away! Im not feeling it.

I think this may not be bad if its cut with another dark roast, but the floral notes leave an unpleasant aftertaste on the pallette.

Best coffee I have ever had was from Costa Rica while I was there. It was beans that they roasted locally in Quepos. We brought back a 5kg sack of the coffee, it was that good!
    Krieg:
    Luko:
    I also got a Keurig! I love this thing its brews one great cup of Joe. So you tried the Caribou K-Cups and liked them??
    Yep, the Caribou is very good...of all that I tried, I think I like the sumatra best but the caribou is right behind it. The thing I love about the keurig is switching back and forth between different types. This morning I had some caribou, some donut shop coffee and green mountain sumatra.
    Luko:
    Krieg:
    Luko:
    Yep, the Caribou is very good...of all that I tried, I think I like the sumatra best but the caribou is right behind it. The thing I love about the keurig is switching back and forth between different types. This morning I had some caribou, some donut shop coffee and green mountain sumatra.
    Just an fyi...but I have been searching for a way to use my own coffee in my Keurig because I still had alot of coffee left over. Well, I bought the EZ-Cup (and filters) from Amazon this week, and they work PERFECTLY. No messy cleanup either, no over flowing out of the coffee maker. Just thought I'd pass this along in case you wanted to save some money on K-Cups.

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    Luko:
    Krieg:
    Luko:
    Just an fyi...but I have been searching for a way to use my own coffee in my Keurig because I still had alot of coffee left over. Well, I bought the EZ-Cup (and filters) from Amazon this week, and they work PERFECTLY. No messy cleanup either, no over flowing out of the coffee maker. Just thought I'd pass this along in case you wanted to save some money on K-Cups.
    Cool, thanks. I do have a bunch of reg coffee to drink up too.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Anyone looking for a good coffee travel mug ? Just bought two of these yesterday for me and the wife. Gave it a test run this morning and 4 hours later my coffee is still piping hot. Plus it's leakproof. Just thought I'd share.

http://www.thermos.com/products/sipp-vacuum-insulated-black-handle-travel-mug.aspx