Home Non Cigar Related

Watcha reading

Looking for recommendations on good books. Any genre

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I just listened to the Audio Book of Tina Fey's BOSSYPANTS... It is pretty damn funny.

A nice light read and she is funny as two 'coons fighting over a water balloon covered in Peanut Butter! Hyuck Hyuck!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I just started the third book of the Song of Ice and Fire series. If you're a fantasy fan, I'd say it's well worth checking out.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the Fountianhead
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    For almost two years now, I've been reading R.A. Salvatore's Legacy of Drizzt series. The legacy itself is 13 books long, starting with The Crystal Shard. Start there. I'm completely hooked I think I'm 20+ books in right now...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Heretics by G.K. Chesterton.

• KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Currently reading "For My Country's Freedom" - by Alexander Kent - fiction.
    This is part of the Richard Bolitho series (late 1700s early 1800s British Navy stories)
    Good, easy action packed reading, solid character development, excellent/interesting details and perspectives on life aboard those "ship of the iine" vessels - those dudes were tough a$$ mothers in those days.

Similar genre, but Army instead of Navy, the Richard Sharpe series (ie Sharpe's Rifles) by Bernard Cornwell. Also a fun, easy, action packed read, with historical perspectives of Europe in the early 1800s, the evil Frogs, and a few likable, and bad-guy characters etc.
    Sharpe is a beast.
    I never understood why back in those days, they would simply line up and shoot each other........now it makes sense.

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Manga:

Berserk
    Hellsing
    Bleach
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Soul Eater
    Vagabond
    Priest

You can find it by googling "manga scanlations" or just "download manga"
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    H.P. Lovecraft short stories, Ashton Clark Smith stories, and Robert E. Howard.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Howard is awesome, I havn't read the "Wheel of Time" series, but his Conan is epic.
    One God, One Truth
    roland_7707:
    Howard is awesome, I havn't read the "Wheel of Time" series, but his Conan is epic.
    Wheel of time is Robert Jordan, not Robert E. Howard. Howard wrote Conan, Kull, Solomon Kane, and some great horror stories.
    My bad, I get the Roberts mixed up sometimes.
    Soloman Kane is on my list
    Right now I'm reading Enders Game by Orson Scott Card.
    One God, One Truth
    roland_7707:
    My bad, I get the Roberts mixed up sometimes.
    Soloman Kane is on my list
    Right now I'm reading Enders Game by Orson Scott Card.
    Nice. Ender's Game is fantastic.
    I have a collection of Cards' short stories and some are good, but others are just off the wall crazy,
    In one elephants take over Great Britain.
    One God, One Truth
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Just finishing up The Poisonwood Bible-excellent writing. If you are looking for some good non-fiction read Endurance. Chronicles the failed Antarctic crossing expedition of Lord Shackleton and crew-those were some (real) manly men-unbelievable what they went through.
  • d-robd-rob Posts: 61
    Just got caught upon the wheel of time and read the Odd Thomas series
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shop Class as Soulcraft, Matthew B. Crawford; Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vol 1
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell.

• ltherronltherron Posts: 60
    Ken Light:
    For almost two years now, I've been reading R.A. Salvatore's Legacy of Drizzt series. The legacy itself is 13 books long, starting with The Crystal Shard. Start there. I'm completely hooked I think I'm 20+ books in right now...

Salvatore is the man if you into fantasy. Read all the Drizzt book twice and look forward to the new one this Oct I think.

If you’re into war/military books I recommend Lone Survivor about a 4 man SEAL team being overrun from the perspective of the only surviving member or Fighter Pilot: memoirs of Robin Olds, very good book from his days in WW2 and Vietnam up until his death a few years ago
  • Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern... hilarious, wish it was a longer book, this was passed around the office for about 9 months
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Just finished The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I just started the third book of the Song of Ice and Fire series. If you're a fantasy fan, I'd say it's well worth checking out.
    I just started the second book of that series. It's a good read.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:

oooh... gunna add that to my wish list. Thomas Sowell is brilliant.
    kuzi16:
    stephen_hannibal:

oooh... gunna add that to my wish list. Thomas Sowell is brilliant.
    OH man I agree I have to get some of his other works.

• Game of Thrones,George R R Martin
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Knoxca1:
    j0z3r:
    I just started the second book of that series. It's a good read.
    +3 I read the first 4 books and waiting for book five in paperback... i hate hardcover books...

in the meantime I'm reading The Walking Dead Vol. 14 (graphic novel series) and Star Wars X-Wing Series (on book 4 of 9)

Ken Light:
    I've almost started the Drizzit series like 4 times... I might have to read that this winter...

I'm also reading/listening to: Mitch Rapp series (Vince Flynn), Black Hawk Down and Rainbow Six...

a really cool book that I recently finished is World War Z.. the audiobook on that is great too, but it's abridged...
  • xIcedGuardianx:
    Game of Thrones,George R R Martin
    +1... Surpried at how accurate the HBO series was compared to the book.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    d-rob:
    Just got caught upon the wheel of time and read the Odd Thomas series
    I am on Knife of Dreams. Reading it gets a little arduous at times.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    The Outlaws- W.E.B. Griffin
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Dead or Alive - Tom Clancy
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Clancy. Though I haven't read anything in a while. If you like American history check out " When the river ran backwards " it's full of interesting bits of history info you probably never learned in school.