Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Why your handle/username?

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
Just curious if there are any good stories behind your chosen forum persona?

Mine isn't what I would call a good story. It's simply a by-product of a one-time fascination with history, Charles Martel, Charlemagne, and the Song of Roland. That, and I used to play an online game where I'd tell people they'd been hammered, and Charles "The Hammer" was kind of my inspiration for that.

What about you?
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Rain Ironcross was my Dungeons and Dragons character name back in the dizzay. By the way, he was a Half Elf Monk.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Rain Ironcross was my Dungeons and Dragons character name back in the dizzay.
    Nerd!
  • Options
    Rain:
    Rain:
    Rain Ironcross was my Dungeons and Dragons character name back in the dizzay.
    Nerd!

You said it, not me! Props for explaining the avatar, too. Mine has no meaning, other than it's a nice picture of a cigar journal.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Just took a random term, macro, and put an "x" in front of it. Why an X? Because Bender from Futurama prefers the word "extortion" over the word "blackmail" - the X makes it sound cool
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Catfish=my stage name, more people know me by Catfish then Dustin. Bluezz=my genre I came up in, although I am fluent in chicken pickin and bluegrass.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Pelirrojo is Espanol for redhead. I'm a ginger and I live in New Mexico. Wish there was more to it, but there isn't.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Cool thread. Avatar name? Beatnic? I grew up in the 60's. The cats were cool, hip, groovy, man. I almost named my avatar Maynard G. Krebs. The picture? I liked the image.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm ... well ... yeah ...
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:

Maybe your parents have a good story behind your given name to make up for your lack of creativity. image
    Seriously, though, Daniel is a great name, and you need make no apologies. I named my son Daniel.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience - Zero patience.
    The guys who worked for me in the shop I worked in years ago called me zero patience because I lacked patience in getting trucks and equipment repaired.
    I used to move the guys out of the way to do the job myself. My pace was way different than theirs.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Mine is a nickname from a guy at work. The avatar is my puggle "Ace" who has a wicked underbite.

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Big" because I am, for now and "shizza" because my son starting using "Shizz" all the time. What's this Shizz? That's a lot of Shizz...etc...I started using it at work and I thought it was funny..plus you can't say **** at work. When I explained what BOTL stood for he just stared at me and said.." So, you're going to be smokin pot"?
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    danielzreyes:

Maybe your parents have a good story behind your given name to make up for your lack of creativity. image
    Seriously, though, Daniel is a great name, and you need make no apologies. I named my son Daniel.

Another person to be dubbed "cool name"!! I'm a Daniel as well...
    I took my screen name from my wife's one time obsession with Vin Diesel in the movie "The Chronicles of Riddick". One of the supporting characters was a bounty hunter named Toomes. After a week of not shaving, she made the comment that I looked like him. So, I changed the spelling and that's it. As for the avatar, I think it's self-explanatory.
  • Options
    Un_SubUn_Sub Posts: 210
    I am a very private person. This is the first forum I have ever been on that I actually communicate with people. I prefer to fade into the background so I thought Unknown Subject described me pretty well, and I used to be a big time Criminal Minds fan. SO, Un_Sub it is! The avatar is one of my favorite fishing holes with a good sized catfish I caught there.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Well. I happen to be a big guy... and my name is Todd... and my jersey # in every sport I played was 06. Pretty straight forward.

My avatar is a pic of my back. You can't really tell cause the pic is so little, but it says "Carpe Diem". Which, of course, means "seize the day". That's just kinda how I chose to live my life.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    first cool thread.interseting question indeed.got mine from a box of port glasses i bought.int the description it saidglasses have twisted stems to improve stability.wife saw that and says thats what you need a twisted stem to make you more stable...and i like to change my avitar from time to time.so now dr doom cause well its dr doom.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    ok so..my name is Richard, i got the nickname reggie abunch of years ago when i called into work one morning, the secretary thought i said reggie.
    the guys at work have been calling me that since, and 713 is my anniversary.
    as for avatar, a smiley with a cigar, priceless
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Mine kind of has two meanings. Obviously Ima big dude. But the way I live life is pretty big too. No regrets. And well the fn part was always added when me and the buddies would get lit. As for the avatar that was a pimps n hoes costume partyfundraiser I attended in Mexico. Definitely a fun time. The ladies took the dressing like a ho seriously... pasties, school girl outfits and uh nameless backroom activities. Fun times
  • Options
    reggie713:
    ok so..my name is Richard, i got the nickname reggie abunch of years ago when i called into work one morning, the secretary thought i said reggie.
    the guys at work have been calling me that since, and 713 is my anniversary.
    as for avatar, a smiley with a cigar, priceless
    That is brilliant! Easy way to remember the anny.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Well, mine is pretty easy too. My name is Matt McCartney, thus the mmccartney. And I am a Doctor of Chiropractic thus giving you the dc. As for the avatar, that is me last St. Patty's day smoking an AF. Very cool thread!
  • Options
    Love the nuggets of insight; keep 'em coming! I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about identity. Who are you? The Who and CSI style. How do our choices make us who we are? How do our experiences make us who we are? Are there things about our identity, deep down, that we have no control over?

Sorry, jacked my own thread by getting way too deep.

Back to the fun bits of info.

• Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    ddubridge is the first part of my email, I never changed it when I signed up. I really didnt think I would use it that much. Boy was I wrong, I love this forum. The picture is Justin Verlander smoking a cigar because I freaking love the freaking Tigers.

No daniel, I will not trade you JV for midgets
  • Options
    I'm a Phillies Phan, myself. Have been ever since little league, playing 3rd base for the Phils and wanting to be like Mike Schmidt.

• Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    My username is my middle name and it became my user name because a year or two before I found the forum I signed up to by cigars. I used it as a passwork a lot of time and at the time thought thats what it was and 7890 go in order pretty easy. OOPS
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mines not all that cool. Vision because I was shot in the eye with a bb gun when I was 11. I lost a lot of sight in my right eye so I thought it funny to make it vision. My Battlefield name is Panic.....I also have anxiety and panic attacks.... Just a way to poke fun at myself.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Vision:
    Mines not all that cool. Vision because I was shot in the eye with a bb gun when I was 11. I lost a lot of sight in my right eye so I thought it funny to make it vision. My Battlefield name is Panic.....I also have anxiety and panic attacks.... Just a way to poke fun at myself.
    I guess you get ribbed a lot when the Christmas Story comes on TV. LOL Just kidding.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    first name and half of last. been my handle since i had a yahoo address which goes back to around 1997ish.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Vision:
    I guess you get ribbed a lot when the Christmas Story comes on TV. LOL Just kidding.
    Oohh I do. It doesn't botherme at all.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way way back in the dark ages, when Windows 3.1 was the cutting edge and to get innernet you hooked up to Prodigy or AOL with your 14.4 phone modem and there were no such units as megabytes, I started an internet company to make a couple extra bucks. There was no php. Perl was da bom. HTML was simple enough to put everything you could do on a pocket reference card. First thing I sold was cassette book tapes. I would mail them out with an invoice and the customer would mail me back a check. By and by, I made a Linux server on an old derelict 486 and co-located it at an ISP to host domains for a few bucks a month. Registered the name WebMost at the domain registrar, chipped in my lagniappe at the place where the state conducts its extortion, concocted the slogan "WebMost for the Most Web", and aways I went.

Years later, the nature of the business has changed quite a bit. Still a side gig. More into programming and database and such, since there is close to zero money in hosting unless you harness the economy of scale. WebMost remains my source of green fun tickets for buying motorcycle farkles, toting TOWMBO to a distant B&B, going camping, and here lately buying cigars. Yesterday, for instance, I picked up the BMW K75 seat I has left at Rayco to get re-upholstered. Paid by WebMost. Tomorrow, I'm going to fill a three count pocket cigar holder with stogies and take them to the guy at Rayco who did such a good job. Paid by WebMost. This weekend, I'm hauling the EMT (Emergency Motorcycle Transport) to Connecticut to pick up a bike which a buddy bought at a dealer up there. EMT is a trailer bought by WebMost. Tonight, a buddy is coming by my garage for me to fix his fuel pump connector. Beer fridge there is stocked by WebMost. It's the way I pay for things without soaking the household budget. Need some programming? Hit me up.

Why, at WebMost, we even sport a mission statement:

Here at WebMost, our mission is to facilitate cognitional processes within the parameters of effective paradigms, utilizing diverse stochastic and heuristic methodologies to offer unparalleled services in directed and undirected endeavors.

The avatar I just like.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Vision:
    beatnic:
    Vision:
    Oohh I do. It doesn't botherme at all.

Then we should take a vote and hereby change your name to Ralphie for all future reference on this forum.

And webmost, love the story, and the mission statement. Very, uh, verbose.