Home General Discussion

Special cigar gift

rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
Today I was invited to a colleague's house for launch. He is also a cigar smoker. We smoke rarely but we have been friends over two and half years. After the launch he gave me a vintage cigar because he thought I would have apprecitated the history behind it. In a nutshell, this cigar was given to one of our political officer who was assigned at our embassy in Tokyo. He was a guest to a state dinner party and a Royal Japanese Official gave him this cigar in 1986. He never smoked it because it was a special gift to him. Finally, he met my friend and handed over to him. My friend kept this cigar with him over 15 years. It is a candela wrapper cigar, the band has the Imperial Seal of Japan(Chrysanthemum flower). I did some research but couldn't discover any information. This is another reason why I love cigar, friendship and the culture around it. Most probably I will never smoke it. Here are some pictures: Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    That's light years beyond cool! I agree, that's one to hold on to.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome story brother.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    wow what a cool cigar and a cool story, congrats brother.
  • Very cool, thanks for sharing the story with us!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thats a sweet gift !
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    woah thats awesome!
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty freakin awesome man. Great friend!
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    There is a cigar bar that I go to on a regular basis whose owner is very knowledgeable about cigars. I'll show him the pictures and relay the story to see if he knows anything about it
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    That would be very nice. I appreciate it Knoxca.
    Knoxca1:
    There is a cigar bar that I go to on a regular basis whose owner is very knowledgeable about cigars. I'll show him the pictures and relay the story to see if he knows anything about it
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there is a good chance that it is a Cuban cigar. For many many years Japan has had a booming Cuban cigar market (in relation to no cuban cigars there) and candela is a very popular wrapper for cuban cigars handed out to dignitaries all over the world.
    of course this is all speculation, but i would not be surprised.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    That's really awesome. Great gift and an even better story
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    there is a good chance that it is a Cuban cigar. For many many years Japan has had a booming Cuban cigar market (in relation to no cuban cigars there) and candela is a very popular wrapper for cuban cigars handed out to dignitaries all over the world.
    of course this is all speculation, but i would not be surprised.
    Well there you have it. If I was a bettin man, which I am. Id put my money on Kuzi. That is one awesome stick.
    Here's some info on it. It's called Onshi cigar(??(Onshi) ??(cigar)) not sure if the characters will show up. Onshi means an imperial gift. I'm waiting for some addtional information specific to your time frame but it is mostly likely cuban made. Very hard to get non cubans in Japan. It is only given out by the Japanese Embassy staff so it is pretty rare one to have. Kuzi is correct that it has a candela wrapper, new ones are very green. I have a picture of what a new one looks like (not mine) but not sure how to post it.
    Thanks for the info. You can upload the picture at photobucket.com and paste the HTML link here. Again, thanks Knoxca.
    Knoxca1:
    Here's some info on it. It's called Onshi cigar(??(Onshi) ??(cigar)) not sure if the characters will show up. Onshi means an imperial gift. I'm waiting for some addtional information specific to your time frame but it is mostly likely cuban made. Very hard to get non cubans in Japan. It is only given out by the Japanese Embassy staff so it is pretty rare one to have. Kuzi is correct that it has a candela wrapper, new ones are very green. I have a picture of what a new one looks like (not mine) but not sure how to post it.
    rzaman:
    Thanks for the info. You can upload the picture at photobucket.com and paste the HTML link here. Again, thanks Knoxca.
    Knoxca1:
    Forgot I had an account there. Hope this works. Photobucket
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!. check out the difference. Talk about age.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Hi Knoxca1, Thanks again for sharing the link. I am in search for this cigar and confident to collect some more. I am getting close to the deal-:)
    Knoxca1:
    rzaman:
    Hi Knoxca1, Thanks again for sharing the link. I am in search for this cigar and confident to collect some more. I am getting close to the deal-:)
    Knoxca1:
    Your welcome and good luck to you in your endeavor. On the cigar forums over here the Japanese cigar enthusiasts have expressed frustration on how difficult it is for Japanese citizens to obtain these.
    I understand that. I spent a year in Japan and saw they highly value the Imperial items though they are a democratic nation. They still respect the Royal family with deep feeling. I am with the diplomatic core and met my Japanese counter part a week ago. Here the embassy is small and they receive very small lot of these cigars but he is checking with his superior if he can get a box for me. he said it shouldn't be difficult. I gave him a very nice gift as a sign of Nakama Tomodachi-: )
    Knoxca1:
    rzaman:
    Knoxca1:
    Your welcome and good luck to you in your endeavor. On the cigar forums over here the Japanese cigar enthusiasts have expressed frustration on how difficult it is for Japanese citizens to obtain these.
    I'm curious if the box will be the same. The box in the picture is a few years old. Would love to see a picture of a full box once you get it.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    A limited edition cigar from a foreign country with extremely limited availability - oh year, that also happens to have TWENTY SIX YEARS on it? Yeah, Id say that qualifies as a special cigar gift!!! BEYOND AWESOME MAN!!!

With the candela wrapper and 26 years on it, I wonder what that would taste like?

I am not going to smoke it until I receive some more. It is a piece of history to me. The cigar traveled through seven different countries before came into my possession.
    The Sniper:
    A limited edition cigar from a foreign country with extremely limited availability - oh year, that also happens to have TWENTY SIX YEARS on it? Yeah, Id say that qualifies as a special cigar gift!!! BEYOND AWESOME MAN!!!

With the candela wrapper and 26 years on it, I wonder what that would taste like?

• pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    rzaman:
    I am not going to smoke it until I receive some more. It is a piece of history to me. The cigar traveled through seven different countries before came into my possession.
    The Sniper:

yea dont smoke it i would keep also

Enrique Jos
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Holy $hit! Guess it's an understatement to say that you don't see something like that every day. Awesome pickup and very cool story.. thanks for sharing.

Do you think you'll ever smoke them?
    I will at least smoke one since I have five of them.
    Heavy:
    Holy $hit! Guess it's an understatement to say that you don't see something like that every day. Awesome pickup and very cool story.. thanks for sharing.

• ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Heavy:

Dude what ever it is you do for a living i hope to grow up and do that to!. You have a killer story almost every damn day. Congrats on that pick up. Beautiful presentation!
    Lol..you don't want my job because it is very stressful. However, at the same time I love it.
    Imgembo:
    Heavy:

Dude what ever it is you do for a living i hope to grow up and do that to!. You have a killer story almost every damn day. Congrats on that pick up. Beautiful presentation!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Thanks for sharing all this with us. Things most of us here would never get to see.