Home General Discussion

Site redesign...

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
Have you noticed? Check the weekend blitz page.
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Since I'm still fairly new I don't always know what the size descriptions mean but having a little pic of each one is very helpful.
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    If only CCom could update this piss-poor excuse of outdated message board software.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    variant2:
    If only CCom could update this piss-poor excuse of outdated message board software.
    It's like your fist car. Old as hell but good memories.Then you get a new car and are like "How in the hell did I ever like that old one?"
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    variant2:
    It's like your fist car. Old as hell but good memories.Then you get a new car and are like "How in the hell did I ever like that old one?"
    Yep, like old cars. Hey kids, did you know the switch for the high beam/low beam used to be on the floor? Ya' tapped it or stomped on it wit ya' foot. Took us old timers quite a while to stop tappin' the floorboards.
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    variant2:
    For reference, this car represents the ccom message board
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:
    variant2:
    Yep, like old cars. Hey kids, did you know the switch for the high beam/low beam used to be on the floor? Ya' tapped it or stomped on it wit ya' foot. Took us old timers quite a while to stop tappin' the floorboards.
    It's still like that in military vehicles.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:
    variant2:
    I really miss this, I think it is so much handier as well as user friendly to have the stomp switch in the drivers left floorboard. Pops' old truck still has that and I love it. I also miss stick shifts on the column like 3 on the tree with stuff from the 50's etc. But I'm weird though I like older stuff better...
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    What are we all going to do when ccom unveils a new message board possibly removing some "outdated" features like post counts and join dates????
    Chemnitz:
    What are we all going to do when ccom unveils the new message board which removes some outdated features like post counts and join dates????
    DON'T YOU EVER SAY THAT!!! Post counts are the single most important thing we have. Without it, we are not better than communists.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    But, dang I look good in red.
    One God, One Truth
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Chemnitz:
    What are we all going to do when ccom unveils the new message board which removes some outdated features like post counts and join dates????
    DON'T YOU EVER SAY THAT!!! Post counts are the single most important thing we have. Without it, we are not better than communists.
    FACT

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

roland_7707:
    Better dead than red. Loose lips sink ships.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Chemnitz:

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    Red sky at night sailors delight....red sky in morning sailors take warning

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    What are we all going to do when ccom unveils a new message board possibly removing some "outdated" features like post counts and join dates????
    its not the post counts or join dates that are the issue. the issue is the information on the threads. would be hard to replace some of that. id be all for the change if there was a way to retain the actual threads in a searchable format... even if only archived.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    I would just be happy with some faster load times when I'm researching specific sticks. Things have been real clunky on the site for me for a while .
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    I would just be happy with some faster load times when I'm researching specific sticks. Things have been real clunky on the site for me for a while .
    ...and a 'button' that would take you to the last new post of a thread, and an easier way to upload pics.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc:
    youngryan216:
    ...and a 'button' that would take you to the last new post of a thread, and an easier way to upload pics.
    Photos are really easy with an image hosting app. Try Imgur, it's free.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc:
    youngryan216:
    The button that takes you to the last post is to the right of the thread list beside the name of the person that posted last. It looks like a white sheet of paper.
    One God, One Truth
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    peter4jc:
    youngryan216:
    The button that takes you to the last post is to the right of the thread list beside the name of the person that posted last. It looks like a white sheet of paper.
    Correct. I could've worded it better. Some forums have a button that will take you to the first unread post of a thread. I click the button you referred to and then scroll back to where I left off last visit, but that's a clunky way of doing it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    peter4jc:
    youngryan216:
    there is no reason to have to do that. Modern message board's have everything; buttons to post pics (some even realize that you put a link to a pic or pasted a pic in there and post it), formatting options that tell when you put in a space or put in a link, and all kinds of different other features.. Actually there is no reason to have to do any html since about 2008 with message boards.

i love this place, but this might be the worst message board format i have seen in YEARS, regardless the people and the history of the site make it what it is. no the post counts and join dates (even though those will probably stay to be honest)

My concern with the "site redesign" is that it seems they are going to continue to use this current sites website CMS. Upgrading the CMS = a new message board. Just redesigning with the current CMS no real updates to the message board. I could be completely wrong, but that is the norm when you are doing a site upgrade.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    youngryan216:
    peter4jc:
    youngryan216:
    there is no reason to have to do that. Modern message board's have everything; buttons to post pics (some even realize that you put a link to a pic or pasted a pic in there and post it), formatting options that tell when you put in a space or put in a link, and all kinds of different other features.. Actually there is no reason to have to do any html since about 2008 with message boards.

i love this place, but this might be the worst message board format i have seen in YEARS, regardless the people and the history of the site make it what it is. no the post counts and join dates (even though those will probably stay to be honest)

My concern with the "site redesign" is that it seems they are going to continue to use this current sites website CMS. Upgrading the CMS = a new message board. Just redesigning with the current CMS no real updates to the message board. I could be completely wrong, but that is the norm when you are doing a site upgrade.
    There are many issues that they have with their entire site. Their server should be able to handle the load of any of the forum and webpages, yet it seems to be having trouble with all of it, which makes me wonder which database they are using. Older sql databases sometimes have trouble with old requests or code that lingers. Curing that problem isn't very easy, as it involves going through the database code pretty intensively.

As for importing the old posts and info from the forum to a new forum program, probably not gonna happen. You would need some kind of converter for the old database to the new forum program.
    While it can be done, it requires someone with extensive knowledge of sql databases and how each forum program (old and new) saves their data.

Most forum programs have the ability to import databases from one to another, but this forum program is quite old and the likelihood that anyone would bother to create a conversion from this to a newer forum program is not likely.

Most of the forum programs I use have the ability to post images straight to the post from your computer, have PM notification, no html requirements. a button to see ALL new posts, a button to see all replies to YOUR posts and a host of other nifty features.
    And because they are php, not asp forums, they are quite a bit quicker.
    In fact, several on this board have seen first hand at least one forum I deal with.

Would transition from this forum program to a newer one be easy? Absolutely not.
    Would it change the feel of the forum? Without question.
    Would everyone be happy? Not likely.
    Would they be able to make it a lot easier to use? Definitely.

I used this forum program in 2003 for a while on one website, it was expensive, server intensive and clunky then.
    But, if configured properly, you can post attachments and use UBB code with this forum program, but evidently it is turned off on this one or they don't have a module for it. Not sure.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth. That would be nothing. : )
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    And, the took off the vitola pics on the weekend blitz to go along with pages not loading and long waits when I respond. Tease.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.