Home Non Cigar Related

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey Gang,

Somi kinda figured that we could have an all encompassing thread for bourbon, whiskey, rye, scotch etc. A place to post questions, musings, news, rare finds that might interest others, sales etc. kinda just a thread for the loves of grain alcohol aged in some type of barrel lol. I will start it off with one piece of news and two sale items y'all may be interested in. Anyone that wants to jump on any of the sale items let me know, send me the funding via PayPal and I will buy and ship for you.

Woodford Reserve News: Woodford announced that they will be releasing and distributing in smallish quantities their first Rye starting in February.

Three items on sale in my local store y'all might be interested in:
Stagg Jr. 134.4 proof offering for $39.99
Larceny 750ml $19.99
Buffalo Trace 750ml $19.99.

Not a sale but harder to find stuff that I located locally:
Whistlepig Rye The Boss Hog $179.99
Willet Family Estate Rye including the 2 year, 6 year and 8 year.
2 year - $46.99
6 year - $79.99
8 year - $106.99
"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Hey Gang,

Somi kinda figured that we could have an all encompassing thread for bourbon, whiskey, rye, scotch etc. A place to post questions, musings, news, rare finds that might interest others, sales etc. kinda just a thread for the loves of grain alcohol aged in some type of barrel lol. I will start it off with one piece of news and two sale items y'all may be interested in. Anyone that wants to jump on any of the sale items let me know, send me the funding via PayPal and I will buy and ship for you.

Woodford Reserve News: Woodford announced that they will be releasing and distributing in smallish quantities their first Rye starting in February.

Larceny 750ml $19.99

2 year - $46.99
    6 year - $79.99
    8 year - $106.99
    They want a pretty penny for that WhistlePig don't they! I came across that one at that M&P and had a case of sticker shock, since then, Ive been doing some reading on it. The whistle pig straight Rye pricetag is a little more acceptable but still high. I do like my Rye, and another that I came across which piqued my interest was a Midwinters Night Dram, from High West distillery. I bet they both taste incredible, but with those pricetags, it will probably be a while before I get close to those.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:
    Hey Gang,

Larceny 750ml $19.99

2 year - $46.99
    6 year - $79.99
    8 year - $106.99
    They want a pretty penny for that WhistlePig don't they! I came across that one at that M&P and had a case of sticker shock, since then, Ive been doing some reading on it. The whistle pig straight Rye pricetag is a little more acceptable but still high. I do like my Rye, and another that piqued my interest was a Midwinters Night Dram, I bet they both taste incredible, but with those pricetags, it will probably be a while before I get close to those.
    Yeah agreed, heard it's awesome but man if I'm paying those prices then I'd be wanting something that's been established for many many years like the Pappy releases etc. I also agree on the Midwinters Night Dram, that sounds so so damn good especially the finishing process. Good luck finding it though let alone paying for it.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    If you can find it, I encourage anyone to try King's County Distillery bourbon. As you all know I'm terrible at notes, but this is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorites. They also make a moonshine (white dog corn whiskey) and a Chocolate whiskey, neither of which I've tried (yet). Distribution is limited mostly to NJ and NY but they have stores that carry it in CA, TX and CT, which tells me that if you harass your local shopkeep long enough he might be able to make a call. Not cheap, I think it's about $40 for 375 mL, which is the biggest bottle they offer, but sooo worth it. They also sell a book, The King's County Distillery Guide to Urban Moonshining: How to Make and Drink Whiskey (~20 bucks on amazon) which I just got done reading and was an incredible source of very current information, especially on things like LDI/MGP sourcing and also how to distill. (not that I'm going to do that. that would be illegal. highly illegal. nope, never, definitley not.)
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    90+ Irishman:
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:
    Hey Gang,

Larceny 750ml $19.99

2 year - $46.99
    6 year - $79.99
    8 year - $106.99
    They want a pretty penny for that WhistlePig don't they! I came across that one at that M&P and had a case of sticker shock, since then, Ive been doing some reading on it. The whistle pig straight Rye pricetag is a little more acceptable but still high. I do like my Rye, and another that piqued my interest was a Midwinters Night Dram, I bet they both taste incredible, but with those pricetags, it will probably be a while before I get close to those.
    Yeah agreed, heard it's awesome but man if I'm paying those prices then I'd be wanting something that's been established for many many years like the Pappy releases etc. I also agree on the Midwinters Night Dram, that sounds so so damn good especially the finishing process. Good luck finding it though let alone paying for it.
    From what I read bout the MND it was kinda winey, lol. Idk. I did read where some have tried imitating it (as in poor mans pappy) by adding a little wine to High West Rendezvous.
    Ken Light:
    If you can find it, I encourage anyone to try King's County Distillery bourbon. As you all know I'm terrible at notes, but this is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorites. They also make a moonshine (white dog corn whiskey) and a Chocolate whiskey, neither of which I've tried (yet). Distribution is limited mostly to NJ and NY but they have stores that carry it in CA, TX and CT, which tells me that if you harass your local shopkeep long enough he might be able to make a call. Not cheap, I think it's about $40 for 375 mL, which is the biggest bottle they offer, but sooo worth it. They also sell a book, The King's County Distillery Guide to Urban Moonshining: How to Make and Drink Whiskey (~20 bucks on amazon) which I just got done reading and was an incredible source of very current information, especially on things like LDI/MGP sourcing and also how to distill. (not that I'm going to do that. that would be illegal. highly illegal. nope, never, definitley not.)
    Ken the more you talk about this the more interested I become, there's a few bottles that I really need to pick up to round out what I think my collection needs lol, but in a few months I'm going to be hitting you up for a bottle to try, thanks for throwing this on my radar!
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:
    Hey Gang,

Larceny 750ml $19.99

2 year - $46.99
    6 year - $79.99
    8 year - $106.99
    From what I read bout the MND it was kinda winey, lol. Idk. I did read where some have tried imitating it (as in poor mans pappy) by adding a little wine to High West Rendezvous.
    Having never even seen any of the Pappy's in person let alone tasting any I couldn't even begin to try to make a poor mans pappy lol. To be honest I am trying really hard not to join crazes or bandwagons just because everyone else says it's amazing or whatnot, I am doing what I can to focus on what I enjoy instead of what the bourbon and whiskey world tells me I should lol. As an example one of my all time favs is still that darned Angel's Envy, it's just so smooth and the taste is so unique and balanced.... But in all honesty it really isn't biurbon since it's finished in something other than new American charred white oak barrels. I love it and to me it's bourbon but as a technicality it isn't and purists that I've talked to stress that point. So according to bourbon purists I shouldn't like Angel's Envy as a bourbon, but I love it. Long drawn out way to say that while the Pappy lines are extremely intriguing to me I really am only interested in seeking out (currently at least) the ORVW 10 year, the Pappy Lot B and Pappy Family Reserve 15 year. Those I have a chance of finding in the next few years and won't be $200+ a bottle or some silly thing for me at this point in my life.
    Theres a place in CO, applejack.com
    check em out, don't know how close or far
    The Kid:
    Theres a place in CO, applejack.com
    check em out, don't know how close or far
    Very familiar with Applejack. When I was in college in Golden (suburb of west Denver) Applejacks was 10 min drive for me lol. Haven't been there in a few years and had forgotten about that, it's about a hour and fifteen min drive one way away etc. Definitely need to head up there after payday next Friday.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Hey Gang,

Larceny 750ml $19.99

2 year - $46.99
    6 year - $79.99
    8 year - $106.99
    I haven't got into rye but i been meaning to. That 6 year Willett interests me but i don't know if i wanna drop that kind of money on it.
    JHewey:
    90+ Irishman:
    Hey Gang,

Larceny 750ml $19.99

2 year - $46.99
    6 year - $79.99
    8 year - $106.99
    I haven't got into rye but i been meaning to. That 6 year Willett interests me but i don't know if i wanna drop that kind of money on it.
    If Amanda lets me and doesn't castrate me for it u will be picking up a bottle of the 6 year on Friday when I get paid. If not then I will be doing the Four Roses Single Barrel.
    News From Jim Beam Distillery:

Coming February of this year is a new release of Jim Beam Bonded Bourbon, 4 year aged and coming in at 100 proof (naturally lol). MSRP is $22.99, and if it's as good as I hope it may be for that price it could be a great new cheap sipping whiskey.
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had Willet but I always hear good things. The Stagg Jr at that price might tempt me to send you money!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's cool about Woodford rye, but I thought it was already a high rye mash anyway so I wonder how different it is... I have looked at the old Master's Collection bottles and while the current is bourbon finished in a pinot noir barrel, the last were a "double malt" selection, one that is more barrel influenced, and one that looks more like a scotch. I'd love to try em, but at $100 a bottle, maybe not, lol!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    D Fresh:
    I haven't had Willet but I always hear good things. The Stagg Jr at that price might tempt me to send you money!
    Doug I'd be happy to do so, already did it for another brother so I know all the pricing and shipping costs etc. just let me know. Cost about $12 to ship that bottle packed to the far corners of the U.S.
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    Doug I'd be happy to do so, already did it for another brother so I know all the pricing and shipping costs etc. just let me know. Cost about $12 to ship that bottle packed to the far corners of the U.S.
    In fact if you wait for me to ship it until next Friday I will cover shipping costs myself, just have to wait to get paid.
    D Fresh:
    The Willet I have had is very good. It seems lighter and more, sweet, floral, or citrusy than other bourbons. Also, each batch is a single barrel so I don't know how much it changes batch to batch. It isn't my personal favorite, and I don't think it mixes well say for old fashions as well as other heavier bourbons, but it's good and worth a try. The bottles are cool (stil-shaped) but take up a ton of room on the bar! lol
    Gray4lines:
    D Fresh:
    The Willet I have had is very good. It seems lighter and more, sweet, floral, or citrusy than other bourbons. Also, each batch is a single barrel so I don't know how much it changes batch to batch. It isn't my personal favorite, and I don't think it mixes well say for old fashions as well as other heavier bourbons, but it's good and worth a try. The bottles are cool (stil-shaped) but take up a ton of room on the bar! lol
    Different Willett Greg, that's the Pot Still Willet, the one I'm referring to is the Family Estate Reserve 6 year Rye. Heres a link that shows what I'm talking about, but this is for the 2 year not the 6. http://t.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Spirits/Other-Whiskeys/Willett-Family-Distillers/Willett-Family-Estate-Rye/38218?utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/
    Gray4lines:
    D Fresh:
    The Willett Pot Still is on my interest list though.
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    D Fresh:
    Different Willett Greg, that's the Pot Still Willet, the one I'm referring to is the Family Estate Reserve 6 year Rye. Heres a link that shows what I'm talking about, but this is for the 2 year not the 6. http://t.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Spirits/Other-Whiskeys/Willett-Family-Distillers/Willett-Family-Estate-Rye/38218?utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/
    Doh, gotcha. I see! thanks
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    In fact if you wait for me to ship it until next Friday I will cover shipping costs myself, just have to wait to get paid.
    No need for you to have to cover the cost. I'd probably be waiting until later next week anyway but I'm happy to send you enough for shipping costs
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    D Fresh:
    Doh, gotcha. I see! thanks
    No worries, there's a decent amount of Willett stuff out there and very easy to confuse them, I do myself often enough lol.
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    No need for you to have to cover the cost. I'd probably be waiting until later next week anyway but I'm happy to send you enough for shipping costs
    Meh you worry too much, besides its no big deal at all and is an excuse to send you a few sticks that I think you'd enjoy and would pair well. Call it interest on a downpayment for the next time you find something that I would want you to pick up and ship to me.
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    Meh you worry too much, besides its no big deal at all and is an excuse to send you a few sticks that I think you'd enjoy and would pair well. Call it interest on a downpayment for the next time you find something that I would want you to pick up and ship to me.
    Besides doing it this way will keep the purchased price down to like $43 after tax for a bottle of 1st batch Stagg Jr. ;)
    Some info on MGP, and the "Rye conspiracy"
    D Fresh:
    Midwest Grain Products Ingredients (MGPI), Lawrenceburg, IN. Formerly Lawrenceburg Distillers Indiana (LDI) and before that owned by the now dissolved Seagram's company, this large distillery near the Kentucky border makes bourbon, rye, corn, wheat and malt whiskeys as well as gin and neutral spirits. While they don't market any of their own whiskey, the distillery makes whiskey for a growing number of other labels. It's hard to always tell which companies are using MGP as their source, but the following is a listing of whiskeys that are likely distilled by MGP:

31 N 50 Bourbon (Dry Diggings)
    4 Spirits Bourbon (4 Spirits)
    1888 Bourbon (Diversa Brands)
    99 Bottles Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
    Angel's Envy Rye (Louisville Distilling Co.)
    Backbone Bourbon (Crossroads Vitners/Strong Spirits)
    Belle Meade Bourbon (Nelson's Greenbriar)
    Big Ass Bourbon (Strong Spirits)
    Big Bottom Bourbon (Big Bottom)
    Big House Bourbon (Underdog Spirits)
    Big Y Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
    Bone Snapper Rye (Strong Spirits)
    Breaker Bourbon (Ascendant Spirits)
    Bulleit Rye (Diageo)
    Chattanooga Whiskey 1816 Reserve (Chattanooga Whiskey Co.)
    Clarion Bourbon and Blended Whiskey (Distilled Spirits Epicenter)
    Cleveland Rye Whiskey (Cleveland Whiskey)
    Coney Island Carlo Bourbon (Terresentia)
    Copper City Straight Bourbon (Arizona Distilling Co.)
    Corn Star Corn Whiskey (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
    Cotton Hollow Rye (Cotton Hollow/Strong Spirits)
    Cougar Bourbon & Rye (Foster's)
    Defiance Whiskey (Crown Valley Distilling)
    Filibuster Rye (M.S. Trading LP)
    George Dickel Rye (George Dickel)
    George Remus Bourbon & Rye (Queen City Whiskey/Strong Spirits)
    Henderson Rye (North Texas Distillers)
    High Liquors Bourbon & Rye (High Liquors)
    High West (an an element of many of their whiskeys blends)
    Homestead Bourbon (Homestead American whiskey)
    Hooker's House (some of their bourbons and their rye; Prohibition Spirits)
    J. Green Bourbon and Rye (Shadow Beverage Group)
    James E. Pepper 1776 Rye (James E. Pepper/Strong Spirits)
    J.R. Revelry Bourbon (La Bodega Internacional/Speakeasy Spirits)
    Knotter Bourbon & Rye (Blaum Bros.)
    LeMont Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
    Mosswood American Light Whiskey (Mosswood Distillers)
    O.K.I. Bourbon and Rye (New Riff Distilling)
    Pinhook Bourbon (CJS Beverage Corp.)
    Prichard's Rye (Prichard's)
    Redemption Bourbon & Rye (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
    Riverboat Rye (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
    Rough Rider Bourbon & Rye (Long Island Spirits)
    Seagram's 7 Blended Whiskey (Diageo)
    Single Track Rye (Range and River Distilling)
    Smokin' Joe's Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
    Smooth Ambler Old Scout Bourbon, Rye and Corn Whiskey (Smooth Ambler)
    Smuggler's Notch Rye
    Spirit of America Bourbon (Hobson & Roberts)
    Spring Mill Bourbon (Heartland Distillers)
    Taos Lightning (KGB Spirits)
    Temperance Trader (Bull Run Distilling)
    Templeton Rye (Templeton)
    Temptation Bourbon (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
    The Saloon Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
    Tin Cup Whiskey (Proximo Spirits)
    Troubadour Bourbon (The Original Texas Legend Distillery)
    WH Harrison Bourbon (Tipton Spirits)
    Widow Jane Rye (Cacao Prieto)
    Willett Rye (Indiana ryes)
    Winghart's Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I just cried a little
    Jetmech_63:
    I just cried a little
    It is a little sad... I guess it may be worth checking out some reviews on a rye before buying a bottle. Not to say the MGP is a bad product, but I guess it's nice to know what exactly you're getting.

Kenlight brought this up a while back too, but this is a good place to throw the info too.
    Gray4lines:
    Jetmech_63:
    I just cried a little
    It is a little sad... I guess it may be worth checking out some reviews on a rye before buying a bottle. Not to say the MGP is a bad product, but I guess it's nice to know what exactly you're getting.

Kenlight brought this up a while back too, but this is a good place to throw the info too.
    Its rye isn't a great product, but drinkable, and probably more drinkable than many could distill on their own. It's 95% rye, far too high a percentage according to the book I read, and had that weird mash bill because it was meant as a flavoring agent in products like Seagram's 7, never meant to be a stand-alone spirit.

I don't mind their bourbon, but here's the thing: I kept trying "new" bourbons and ended up feeling a bit hopeless because it all tasted the same to me. I was basically about to give up on the hobby and my pallet until I read about this and realized they tasted the same for a darn good reason. Now I've tried some craft bourbons and I'm 400% more into it than ever.

And you're right, this is probably the better place to really discuss rather than just brag about what we got. :)
    Gray4lines:
    Jetmech_63:
    I just cried a little

Thanks for doing that Gray! I will say I have the Widow Jane and killed my bottle of Angel's Envy about two months back and those are both MGP distillates but I really liked hem all the same. I do agree though that it makes me a bit iffy on others that I've seen and wanted to try but are on that list. Sad it's such a smoke and mirrors gambit with some of those labels.
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    Jetmech_63:
    I just cried a little

Thanks for doing that Gray! I will say I have the Widow Jane and killed my bottle of Angel's Envy about two months back and those are both MGP distillates but I really liked hem all the same. I do agree though that it makes me a bit iffy on others that I've seen and wanted to try but are on that list. Sad it's such a smoke and mirrors gambit with some of those labels.
    The widow jane you had isn't MGPI, I guess they market a rye (haven't seen it) but you had the bourbon I believe. A lot of places distill bourbon and bottle rye.

Edit: I apparently I was either lied to or misunderstood their rep. WJ is currently sourced, but they are working on growing their own corn and making their own product. I only heard the growing their own corn and making their own product part when I talked to the rep, but he said a lot of things and had a couple experimental bottles (so that was probably the non-sourced stuff) that we couldn't taste. At least they age it longer than most MGP and proof it with mineral rich water to allegedly add more character. I feel kinda had now though. Blargh.