Home General Discussion
Options

B&M

So a new B&M smoke shop went in a few miles from me about a week ago, and that's awesome because the next closest one is like 30 miles away. But to my disappointment they had a selection of like 4 cigars in "our cigar case" right next to all the (not weed) pipes. I did end up buying one and hopefully it will come back to life in my humi.
Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.

Comments

• Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Yikes. Sometimes bigger chain grocery stores have stogies in their customer service areas. . .secret 'gars. (I've seen Macanudo and Punch, no really top shelf premis)
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Yikes. Sometimes bigger chain grocery stores have stogies in their customer service areas. . .secret 'gars. (I've seen Macanudo and Punch, no really top shelf premis)
    thats what id expect from a place like that but this was its own location. hopefully stuff changes there
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My closest B&Ms are in Asheville 76 miles away. The town has three B&M's I went to one that did not have a bar and found the owners would not open the high end humidor for someone they didn't know. I left after they tried to sell me a Banker for $11. Well one down and two to go.
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have a local B&M (closest real one I believe is 100+ miles one way). I rely on suggestions and reading/watching reviews. By far my favorite B&M was my first, was inside a truck stop no less, but had a huge selection and the decor was grand for being inside a truck stop. Ive only been in a couple nicer. What made it a great experience was the owner himself walked me around giving me suggestions. He showed me top of the line to bottom and when I showed interest in a high end he actually steered me to 1 half the cost, said he thought they were better and thought I would enjoy it more. I think all to often if you ask for suggestions they will try to put you with there high end. This guy was genuine and wanted me to have a good experience.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    So a new B&M smoke shop went in a few miles from me about a week ago, and that's awesome because the next closest one is like 30 miles away. But to my disappointment they had a selection of like 4 cigars in "our cigar case" right next to all the (not weed) pipes. I did end up buying one and hopefully it will come back to life in my humi.
    The B&M in my town is a tobacco store (cigs, chew, etc), when I first started going there, there was only one short wall humidor and only carried RyJ, Upmann, Monte, Macanudo and Acid.
    So I started talking to the owner and seeing if he would carry a few cigars I liked (Toranos), which he got.
    They sold fast. After that, any time I saw something I wanted him to carry, I just asked.
    Sometimes, his supplier couldn't get them, but most times they could.
    Now, there is one complete section of his store for cigars and he carries a pretty decent assortment.

It might be worth the time to talk to the owner of the new B&M and see if he'll carry what you like.
    It was worth it for me. I ended up with a tower humi out of it. : )
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Yaa in my home town was like that had a really cool B&M store when i was a kid i remeber going in there to rent VHS tapes, and smelling the pipes and cigars, and then it closed down, well someone bought it and by the time i was of age it was nothing like it used to be, and now its just half-azz closet witha humidifier in it, in a head shop. sad really
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    we have lots of b&ms here. all are over 35-45 minutes away. I ride a scoot and its winter so they wont be seeing me lol. but there is a great one in Saratoga springs...not very helpful...particularly to women..but that's where I got my first undercrown. my mother went in to grab me a cigar and asked for a maddie with a rg 50+ under ten bucks by de,oliva,or ab and the guys like "do you know how many there are?" she laughed at him and said no its for my son. pulls out an undercrown. good smoke. anhow theres another one in a small town 35 mins away that I have to try called the badgers den I think. but it may have to wait for spring cause its all down hill too it and all up back.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    kswildcat:
    I do not have a local B&M (closest real one I believe is 100+ miles one way). I rely on suggestions and reading/watching reviews. By far my favorite B&M was my first, was inside a truck stop no less, but had a huge selection and the decor was grand for being inside a truck stop. Ive only been in a couple nicer. What made it a great experience was the owner himself walked me around giving me suggestions. He showed me top of the line to bottom and when I showed interest in a high end he actually steered me to 1 half the cost, said he thought they were better and thought I would enjoy it more. I think all to often if you ask for suggestions they will try to put you with there high end. This guy was genuine and wanted me to have a good experience.
    Funny that you say your favorite shop was at a truck stop. I have 4 or 5 shops within driving distance of my house. The one that I fell the most at home is actually just behind a Pilot Truck Stop in Simpsonville, Ky. The guy that owns it does the exact same thing. He will walk you through the humidor ask questions on what you have smoked and what you liked about them. Educate you on the products he has and make recommendation of a purchase that are not the most expensive he has. He makes me feel at home when I was first coming into the shop, it made me come back more and more until I joined his members program getting a locker and even becoming really good friends with the guy. I am now a daily customer and the owner and I are like brothers from another mother.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    we have lots of b&ms here. all are over 35-45 minutes away. I ride a scoot and its winter so they wont be seeing me lol. but there is a great one in Saratoga springs...not very helpful...particularly to women..but that's where I got my first undercrown. my mother went in to grab me a cigar and asked for a maddie with a rg 50+ under ten bucks by de,oliva,or ab and the guys like "do you know how many there are?" she laughed at him and said no its for my son. pulls out an undercrown. good smoke. anhow theres another one in a small town 35 mins away that I have to try called the badgers den I think. but it may have to wait for spring cause its all down hill too it and all up back.
    smokin' sams on caroline street? if that's still there, I'm glad to hear it.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    wahooschock:
    Lol yup thers two or three more b&ms now but they are the best.
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    wahooschock:
    Ken Light:
    wahooschock:
    My late mother and her (then) boyfriend owned a deli a couple doors down from there, called Pickle Barrel. That was the first cigar B&M I ever went in and they introduced me to a punch, which was amazing to me at the time. Great place. Used to make a hell of an entry into the chili contest during the Blues fest as well, I think they won the year before my mom did. I had heard that either Sam was very sick or passed away though, so I didn't hold out hope for the shop. Also heard the blues fest is dead, also very sad, that was a great time.
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    If you can get up to Queensbury there's an awesome place there. Queensbury Cigar and Pipe on Rt 9 (near Great Escape). Great lounge, nice people, BYOB. They also have an impressive deck, but I'm guessing you won't get much use out of that in November! My husband and I stopped in there when we were visiting family up there. Nice selection too.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    wahooschock:
    Ken Light:
    wahooschock:
    My late mother and her (then) boyfriend owned a deli a couple doors down from there, called Pickle Barrel. That was the first cigar B&M I ever went in and they introduced me to a punch, which was amazing to me at the time. Great place. Used to make a hell of an entry into the chili contest during the Blues fest as well, I think they won the year before my mom did. I had heard that either Sam was very sick or passed away though, so I didn't hold out hope for the shop. Also heard the blues fest is dead, also very sad, that was a great time.
    that will never die lol got chili fests,crawdad fests, bluesfest, all sorts a fests now lol.if ya ever make it up this way before I move let me know and we can go herf.
  • Options
    wahooschock:
    Ken Light:
    wahooschock:
    Ken Light:
    wahooschock:
    that will never die lol got chili fests,crawdad fests, bluesfest, all sorts a fests now lol.if ya ever make it up this way before I move let me know and we can go herf.
    Miiiiight get up there for winter carnival in lake george this year. if I do I'll definitely give you a shout.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    wahooschock:
    Ken Light:
    wahooschock:
    Ken Light:
    wahooschock:
    Miiiiight get up there for winter carnival in lake george this year. if I do I'll definitely give you a shout.
    That would be awesome.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    If it's any consolation, all the tobacco stores are state-owned here, so they're more or less standardized kiosk-type places. With that said, there's a few places in town that try to hold onto real cigar heritage and stock fairly extensive selections, but there's none of the charm of a traditional B&M, and NOWHERE to enjoy a damn cigar inside.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨